Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The DAA recommending that incoming travellers be allowed in if they have negative test results.

I know Ryanair have their reasons for their opinions but they are talking a lot of sense to me:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0727/1155898-daa-covid-airport-testing/
    It will add that this was "highlighted when the Taoiseach and his advisors returned from Belgium (a country excluded from the Green List) and were unable to comply with the vague restrictions set out for the rest of the citizens of the State to follow".

The management team from the airline will tell politicians that the restrictions can be easily circumvented by flying in and out of Northern Ireland.[\QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When you made your booking, you had to complete the APIS data, so don’t blame DAA, you entered the information willingly. All that the Gardaí has to do is check your passport to make sure that you are the listed person.
    When travelling to or from certain countries, passengers are required to provide advance passenger information (API) before they check in or they will be unable to fly.[9] These countries include

Antigua
    Australia[10]
    Barbados
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Canada
    China
    Costa Rica
    Cuba
    Dominican Republic
    France
    Grenada
    India
    Ireland
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Maldives
    Mexico[11]
    Panama
    Republic of Korea
    Russian Federation
    Saint Lucia
    Spain (except for Schengen Area passengers)[11]
    Taiwan[12]
    Trinidad & Tobago
    United Kingdom[11]
    United States
    and some more

The required information consists of:[11][10]

Full name (last name, first name, middle name if applicable)
    Nationality
    Country of residence
    Travel document type (normally passport)
    Travel document number (expiry date and country of issue for passport)

Source. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Passenger_Information_System

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course this ties into the excuses about not downloading the app!

That makes sense why theres outrage about scummers loosing their pay!

Lots of that type always tryna hide whatever dodgy scheme they have.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

pjohnson wrote: »

"Tryna" ? Troll effort -1/10

Limpy wrote: »
    "Tryna" ? Troll effort -1/10

Yep. Non conspirators = troll effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

did you just call people on the covid payment scummers?!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

copeyhagen wrote: »

This guy is working minimum wage (nothing wrong with that). He see's people getting PUP and gets jealous because he still has to work. So if they get a holiday they paid for while working he goes Green, I mean Hulk Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

The DAA recommending that incoming travellers be allowed in if they have negative test results.

I know Ryanair have their reasons for their opinions but they are talking a lot of sense to me:
    It will add that this was "highlighted when the Taoiseach and his advisors returned from Belgium (a country excluded from the Green List) and were unable to comply with the vague restrictions set out for the rest of the citizens of the State to follow".

The management team from the airline will tell politicians that the restrictions can be easily circumvented by flying in and out of Northern Ireland.[\QUOTE]

I'm all for it. It's a bit rich though that we're asking people to get their test done abroad before they get here, but we won't offer the same to people that want to go elsewhere.
    i.e you have to get a referral here to get tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

Hi lainey I flew with BA from London city. LCY was deserted. There was only one other flight in the arrivals hall at Dublin airport when we landed around 7pm. Had never ever seen either airport so quiet. I was nervous about going too but was so straightforward. PM me if helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm all for it. It's a bit rich though that we're asking people to get their test done abroad before they get here, but we won't offer the same to people that want to go elsewhere.
    i.e you have to get a referral here to get tested.

Not sure how this is going to work. Are they going to deny entry to Irish citizens who don’t get tested prior to travel?

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »

The people who are using it to fund holidays while refusing to follow advice and reccomendations certainly are.

Responsible people on it certainly aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

faceman wrote: »
    Not sure how this is going to work. Are they going to deny entry to Irish citizens who don’t get tested prior to travel?

I suppose it's verging out of the travel topic and more along the lines we aren't offering testing as a precautionary measure, but we are asking others to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The people who are using it to fund holidays while refusing to follow advice and reccomendations certainly are.

The majority of people that are on PUP had jobs before the government closed down their employment. I would suspect many had holidays booked and paid for.
    Your attitude is not surprising , typical of the begrudgery ingrained in certain parts of society. It's not healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

The problem is the government are introducing new rules left, right and centre with no forewarning and are changing rules as they go along.
    People who were on their holidays and came back were caught out with these new rules, they already had their holidays booked in advance, you can't expect people then not to get caught out with the new rules.
    At least give people a couple of weeks notice.
    This government have been a complete and utter disaster since they started.
    They haven't got a clue.

mikekerry wrote: »
    The problem is the government are introducing new rules left, right and centre with no forewarning and are changing rules as they go along.
    People who were on their holidays and came back were caught out with these new rules, they already had their holidays booked in advance, you can't expect people then not to get caught out with the new rules.
    At least give people a couple of weeks notice.
    This government have been a complete and utter disaster since they started.
    They haven't got a clue.

Apparently the rules were changed on Sunday the same day that Varadkar was on TWIP mentioning how they get data on travellers from DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think their is going to be a serious serious backlash in regards to the PUP stopping.

The comparison to job seekers is unfair. Job seekers by it's very nature, by it's very name suggests you are looking for work. Eligible recipients are occasionally asked for proof they are actively looking for work and it's explicitly clear what the purpose of this is.

This PUP has been given as people had NO OPTION but to stop working. It's also not free money, when these people return to work there will be tax ramifications and most are aware of this.

The PUP was given out to actively disincentive people from working in the midst of a global pandemic and the government was transparent about this, even acknowledging that some people are better off. This was not a bad thing as we were all trying to stay safe so ensuring people had adequate money to cover day to day expenses and ensuring they would stay at home was fine.

Now, the government has come out and said, actually if you're on the PUP you should be looking for work. What about the thousands of staff who work in pubs who were ready to return last week but had the rug pulled from under them at the last second? Should they be actively looking for work when you basically told them to stay on the PUP for another three weeks if not more?

If someone has paid for a holiday and they can afford to go then they should be allowed to. The government can't just move the goalposts willy nilly as it suits with some rather questionable practices regarding the handling of people's data. Nobody's passport has their PPSN on it and the address on a passport is inconsequential as if you move address there is no requirement to update your passport to reflect this.

There is serious serious questions to be asked on how data is being linked. Varadkar gives a vague quote saying "the airport is providing information". DAA was very quickly to come out and say they have nothing to do with it. Some people saying they have no idea how them transiting through the airport is being linked to their welfare information. Not to mention it's grossly unfair that people weren't being informed they needed to stay in the country. This whole affair is rotten to the core.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think their is going to be a serious serious backlash in regards to the PUP stopping.

The comparison to job seekers is unfair. Job seekers by it's very nature, by it's very name suggests you are looking for work. Eligible recipients are occasionally asked for proof they are actively looking for work and it's explicitly clear what the purpose of this is.

This PUP has been given as people had NO OPTION but to stop working. It's also not free money, when these people return to work there will be tax ramifications and most are aware of this.

The PUP was given out to actively disincentive people from working in the midst of a global pandemic and the government was transparent about this, even acknowledging that some people are better off. This was not a bad thing as we were all trying to stay safe so ensuring people had adequate money to cover day to day expenses and ensuring they would stay at home was fine.

Now, the government has come out and said, actually if you're on the PUP you should be looking for work. What about the thousands of staff who work in pubs who were ready to return last week but had the rug pulled from under them at the last second? Should they be actively looking for work when you basically told them to stay on the PUP for another three weeks if not more?

If someone has paid for a holiday and they can afford to go then they should be allowed to. The government can't just move the goalposts willy nilly as it suits with some rather questionable practices regarding the handling of people's data. Nobody's passport has their PPSN on it and the address on a passport is inconsequential as if you move address there is no requirement to update your passport to reflect this.

There is serious serious questions to be asked on how data is being linked. Varadkar gives a vague quote saying "the airport is providing information". DAA was very quickly to come out and say they have nothing to do with it. Some people saying they have no idea how them transiting through the airport is being linked to their welfare information. Not to mention it's grossly unfair that people weren't being informed they needed to stay in the country. This whole affair is rotten to the core.

hopefully the data commissioner can do something.
    something stinks with this goverment policy, they are starting to tramp on peoples rights.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40023047.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Holidays pose risk.
    The Turkish couple, a 50-year-old taxi driver and his 45-year-old wife, arrived home on a Ryanair flight on 16 July.
    They were not diagnosed until six days after their return.
    The whole family is now infected, including the couple’s four children, aged nine to 21, and their grandmother.

Ryanair not engaging with public health authorities to perform contact tracing. Guess that's how they can say our planes are safe. Just don't engage.
    She said that the health office had made repeated attempts to contact Ryanair so that the airline could contact other passengers who were on the plane, but that it has “so far had no feedback”.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1288059158168731648?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone with a brain can go without a holiday for one year. Going on holiday during a bloody pandemic and then whinging when travel restrictions get brought in or changed is completely stupid behaviour. When I see the carry on of some people it’s like the last 5 months didn’t happen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

thelad95 wrote: »

The people on PUP should have to wear a badge or get a Tattoo. Oh wait - they do not have to do that anymore.

People should rightfully be concerned about this behaviour by Government to control citizens.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Anyone with a brain can go without a holiday for one year. Going on holiday during a bloody pandemic and then whinging when travel restrictions get brought in or changed is completely stupid behaviour. When I see the carry on of some people it’s like the last 5 months didn’t happen at all.

Why can't people go on holiday?
    you have as much chance as picking up covid in a supermarket as anywhere else.
    Once you take the correct precautions that's all you can do.
    What exactly is going to change next year if a vaccine isn't in place.
    Just because the calendar changes doesn't mean anything will be different with the virus.
    Just use some common sense.
    It's been a hard year for people a holiday will do people good.
    Locking people up without holiday is not going to help anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

mikekerry wrote: »
    Why can't people go on holiday?
    you have as much chance as picking up covid in a supermarket as anywhere else.
    Once you take the correct precautions that's all you can do.
    What exactly is going to change next year if a vaccine isn't in place.
    Just because the calendar changes doesn't mean anything will be different with the virus.
    Just use some common sense.
    It's been a hard year for people a holiday will do people good.
    Locking people up without holiday is not going to help anyone.

This is what I dont understand. They say dont go on holidays this year! Fine, can I go in 2021? Nope, no vaccine.

Simon Harris's quote yesterday "I do not want to see anyone in the airport going on holidays this year". Absolutely outrageous.

beaz2018 wrote: »
    This is what I dont understand. They say dont go on holidays this year! Fine, can I go in 2021? Nope, no vaccine.

Simon Harris's quote yesterday "I do not want to see anyone in the airport going on holidays this year". Absolutely outrageous.

With the exception of Mrs Harris, does anyone actually care what Simon wants?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

With the exception of Mrs Harris, does anyone actually care what Simon wants?

Obviously not, but who the fook does he think he is saying that to people. They are drunk on power.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

My opinion is that Simon Harris is not gonna end well. He is arrogant, he is drunk because of his power.

Obviously not, but who the fook does he think he is saying that to people. They are drunk on power.

He has shown on many occasions that he doesn't engage the brain before he speaks. Best ignored tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

You can read between the lines. If I was taking my private jet to my tax shelter in Gibraltar, I wouldn't be seen dead in the actual like airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Without Leo Varadkar there would be no green list

Anybody leaving the country to covid free zones would continue to be bad mouthed, shamed and have their liberty infringed by state institutions.

It is a scary moment for this state and the direction we take as society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Not surprised you haven't had a phone call yet. I heard something crazy like less than 10% had been followed up or something.

What a waste of time and money those phone calls are.

What is it about a phone call that stops the spread of covid 19? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Why employ probably 100s of people to sit at phones calling people up to achieve absolutely nothing.

What a ridiculous situation, 100's of staff employed to make phone calls that achieve nothing, and social welfare inspectors in the airport ... but we arent even doing temperature checks, not to mind testing a percentage of arriving passengers.

Covid is at the lowest levels we will achieve without a vaccine, yet we are being shamed into not travelling. If not now, when?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement