Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

s1ippy wrote: »
    Yeah that's the kind of thing they'd definitely be putting out there if they're not even willing to tell people on a specific flight that they've come in contact with a covid carrier.

You think the staff and their families would keep it quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Your hat is on too tight, it's effecting oxygen supply to your brain.
    I'm not sure why you are worried about planes, I get the impression you will be staying in a bunker until a vaccine is found.

Mod: Cut this kind of posting out please.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

I'd be a big advocate of testing before flying abroad or returning. But its difficult to see how a practical solution can be brought in. It would be great to see a 3 hour turnaround test rolled out at European airports. The problem of air travel has been known since March and there's still no consensus how to roll out fast turnaround tests.

Spain for example now has a peak of 40 cases per 100,000. If 100 Brits were infected there, it seems absurd to punish the other 99,900 with a two week lockdown.

It is ridiculous idea. Try to get it done here 3 days before you fly somewhere. Not a way you'll get it on time. May be only if you lie your GP that you are having symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

gral6 wrote: »
    It is ridiculous idea. Try to get it done here 3 days before you fly somewhere. Not a way you'll get it on time. May be only if you lie your GP that you are having symptoms.

Another problem which should be solve able. But rather than come up with solutions the Government and the media are more interested one passing judgement. Sure anyone would think we were a large self sustainable economy which was not dependent on International trade, FDI and tourism for the wealth we do have and indeed which funds our public services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

gral6 wrote: »

They have it in Austria and Hong Kong. Airport tests.

Quarantines kill tourism. And tourism is a huge part of many economies.

There's a report today that covid has cost tourism 320 billion

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53550540

But turnaround testing at airports would likely cost an investment of a couple billion worldwide - PPE, testers, swabs, labs on the airport grounds. They had 3 months to plan for the tourism season and the very predictable problems it would bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Another problem which should be solve able. But rather than come up with solutions the Government and the media are more interested one passing judgement. Sure anyone would think we were a large self sustainable economy which was not dependent on International trade, FDI and tourism for the wealth we do have and indeed which funds our public services.

Yep. Governments have been awful.

Take the UK-Spain example. How much would it cost to implement a 1 day turnaround test in Spain for Brits heading home and then quarantine the miniscule number who test positive? Instead hundreds of thousands are inconvenienced and Spain's tourism industry badly hit, not to mention potentially thousands of jobs losses at airlines and in airports, all because they didn't even attempt other measures.

Fast turnaround testing would not be easy but its doable. It should at least be attempted. Let the tourists pay for it as a tax on their airline ticket and as a condition of flying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Looking forward to the holidays Thursday.

2 weeks of Sun in Portugal.

Have received the HR message about needing to take 2 weeks off to self isolate.

Employer has no right to know what I do on my weeks off, so will be straight back to work the day I return (as I work from Home)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

s1ippy wrote: »
    So you're in favour of them not engaging with contact tracers after you've been on a plane with somebody who is infected? What kind of a bizarre death wish is that to have for your loved ones.

All these posters lately obnoxiously defending Ryanair... Wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility that they're paid PR for the company.

One look on twitter shows that public opinion of them is in the toilet.

Whoah there cowboy, hold your horses, I’m not defending anyone (especially not Ryanair), I simply asked a question, from reading the article it doesn’t sound like there was any official approach, at least not one that could be taken seriously.

Legally their first move has to be to seek the passengers permission (right or wrong it’s not for them to decide), after they have that they can do whatever.

Believe me I could never be accused of being an RA defender lol, I’ve had to deal with exactly that same bs when it comes to visiting customer sites, they demand service but won’t cooperate on Covid questions when it could contravene data protection, I’ve had to cancel several jobs just because of this.

BTW I wouldn’t recommend Twitter as a reference source.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Looking forward to the holidays Thursday.

2 weeks of Sun in Portugal.

Have received the HR message about needing to take 2 weeks off to self isolate.

Employer has no right to know what I do on my weeks off, so will be straight back to work the day I return (as I work from Home)

Enjoy your holiday! Ignore the comments suggesting you're a granny slayer for taking a break in the sun.

Enjoy your holiday! Ignore the comments suggesting you're a granny slayer for taking a break in the sun.

My nanny is actually coming with us, whole family are off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

My nanny is actually coming with us, whole family are off

Love it - enjoy. The isolation of the previously well elderly will be worse for their health than any virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

It is time to literally switch off from any government advice at this point.

Our CMO voiciferously said that Facemasks make no difference.

He did not stop flights from huuuuuge hotspots in March, yet we are stopping flights from Germany today!!!

It is all laughable, the educated and briefed will make their minds up for themselves.

These elected chancers are no smarter than you or I, and have very little more information at their hands.

That is the truth.

Having worked in many decent jobs within departments in this government. I can conclude, nobody has a ****ing clue!

And a smart chap on the street knows more than the Minister in most of these departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

He did not stop flights from huuuuuge hotspots in March, yet we are stopping flights from Germany today!!!

Who is stopping flights from Germany?

d15ude wrote: »
    Who is stopping flights from Germany?

Overview

Security Status

Avoid non-essential travel to Germany.

Security Status Last Updated: 17 March 2020

Latest Travel Alert

Which is laughable, i would feel a lot safer if i caught covid in Germany than in Ireland.

The cheek.

And just to make clear to people pished off by our restrictive measures.

If Leo Varadkar was not in cabinet we would have no green list.

NONE!

I'm not a fan of this guys politics, but just to show you what type of hawks we have in our cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Overview

Security Status

Avoid non-essential travel to Germany.

Security Status Last Updated: 17 March 2020

Latest Travel Alert

Still can get a direct flight from Germany to Ireland though can't you?

thelad95 wrote: »
    Still can get a direct flight from Germany to Ireland though can't you?

I don't get your point? I'm absolutely supportive of flights resuming to Germany. This country needs to get real with itself.

I can understand hot spots getting off the list, even Spain....but if our policy remains unchanged, this country is fcuked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I don't get your point? I'm absolutely supportive of flights resuming to Germany. This country needs to get real with itself.

I can understand hot spots getting off the list, even Spain....but if our policy remains unchanged, this country is fcuked

Sorry, I just read above that flights from Germany were being stopped, you can get flights directly to and from Germany, perhaps a misunderstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I’m sure that you read this part of the article.
    The study acknowledged the researchers couldn’t completely rule out whether the man had been infected elsewhere, but said the evidence suggests “he probably acquired SARS-CoV-2 infection during the flight.”.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1288115219823091715?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

The point is that you wrote that flights to Germany are being stopped today.

Which is not the fact!

smurfjed wrote: »
    I’m sure that you read this part of the article.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1288115219823091715?s=20

So someone never used their mask correct and gave someone Covid.

I'm sure that happens outside of planes too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

So someone never used their mask correct and gave someone Covid.

I'm sure that happens outside of planes too

I’ve said it before and will again, this is not a travel related illness, travel does not aid transmission, this is completely behavioural related, if you follow the WHO advice: distancing, hygiene etc you are just as safe travelling as you would be in a shop or on a street here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

And just to make clear to people pished off by our restrictive measures.

If Leo Varadkar was not in cabinet we would have no green list.

NONE!

I'm not a fan of this guys politics, but just to show you what type of hawks we have in our cabinet.

And Fascist Fáil had to agree as their poll numbers are super low.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It seems a little selfish to travel in the current times but I can see why people are doing it, it's cheaper to go somewhere on the Mediterranean than it is to spend on the cold damp coast of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Oranage2 wrote: »
    It seems a little selfish to travel in the current times but I can see why people are doing it, it's cheaper to go somewhere on the Mediterranean than it is to spend on the cold damp coast of Ireland

Why is it selfish?

It’s worth repeating this is not a travel related illness, travel does not aid transmission, this is completely behavioural related, if you follow the WHO advice: distancing, hygiene etc you are just as safe travelling as you would be in a shop or on a street here

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

But why is it selfish? Like genuinely why/how could it be.

Really not having a go at all, just trying to follow the logic

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It seems a little selfish to tell people not to travel, it is their business whether to travel or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Why is it selfish?

It’s worth repeating this is not a travel related illness, travel does not aid transmission, this is completely behavioural related, if you follow the WHO advice: distancing, hygiene etc you are just as safe travelling as you would be in a shop or on a street here

Firstly I'll have to stop you there, I don't follow the WHO's advice.

Also common logic would tell you that if your man in Spain has the virus and you go to the shop and buy sangria from that man then when you come home you'll have the virus then spread it to all your friends and family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement