Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,962 ✭✭✭✭josip

From another source:
    "If you have goggles or an eye shield, you should use it," the nation's top infectious disease expert told ABC News Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton during an Instagram Live conversation on ABC News

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dr-fauci-wear-goggles-eye-shields-prevent-spread/story?id=72059055

Yes, the same answers to the same (leading) QUESTIONS.

And all the news orgs will always try to make the most sensationalist headline out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

The issues with masks rotated around the point that they DON’T work unless everyone is wearing them, emitters and receptors, in a plane full of masked passengers the one who refuses is the ars*hole.

Even if it was just for the comfort of fellow passengers they should be worn.

If you’re sitting on your own with no one near you that’s fine, but I wouldn’t appreciate the guy next to me behaving like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

skyway wrote: »
    Has anyone here flown back from Spain in the past couple of weeks? Just wondering what the numbers are like on the flights seeing as the inevitable quarantine awaits once you arrive in Ireland. I am due to fly back from Malaga next week (not from holidays, I live here). Aer Lingus pulled their flights so I had to book with Ryanair instead.

Thanks.

We flew from Dublin to Almeria with Ryanair a week ago. I would estimate the plane was less than half full. I’m hoping the flight home will be the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

In a couple of months, people will be calling me selfish for refusing to wear my goggles to protect others. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anyone who doesn’t were a mask on a plane is just a whining baby and needs to just grow up. Simple as. I travel plenty (Rome next up) and it’s really not a big deal

Anyone that claims to be ‘listening to the science’ as a basis for not wearing masks, actually means that they are selectively listening to the outlying scientist who takes the contrary view on masks, which is what they want to hear. Same individual who probably gets their news from 4chan

Gotta give him credit. His repeated childishness united those for and those against travel :pac:

Thats a real special achievement!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You are permitted to eat and drink on the plane.

There is no time limit placed on these activities, so if you have a bottle of water nearby, there is nothing the TDs can do about it.

Many experts have stated explicitly that masks don't work.

I'm being guided by the science on this, not withstanding the flip flopping that took place over at the WHO.

Can you show me the scientific study showing that masks don't work? Did it follow the scientific method, peer reviewed, published by a reputable research institution?

If you can't show the people around you the courtesy of wearing a mask you shouldn't be on a plane. And if you insist on referring to cabin crew members as "Trolley Dollys" then you don't belong in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Interestingly in the Netherlands its not a requirement to wear them at all as they say there isn't much data to back up their usefulness.

Also this Q&A AMA has an interesting section on face masks from a HSE consultant.

What ever their usefulness I think it's just not socially acceptable to not wear a mask now on the flight unless you purchase a drink from staff or bring something from the airport. I'm hoping that they do actually help in general as well by stopping a certain % of harmful droplets getting out.

Has anyone here flown back from Spain in the past couple of weeks? Just wondering what the numbers are like on the flights seeing as the inevitable quarantine awaits once you arrive in Ireland. I am due to fly back from Malaga next week (not from holidays, I live here). Aer Lingus pulled their flights so I had to book with Ryanair instead.

Thanks.

From where? Tis a big country.
    Reports of planes full but on my two round trip flights the planes were only about half filled.

Search the flight, if it's selling cheap. They ain't selling. Barcelona for example, someone a while because claimed flights were full but the prices don't show that at all.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Actually you'd be surprised. Airlines have many powers to deal with disruptive passengers including landing the plane as an emergency in the nearest airport and having the local police remove you from the flight.

Doesn't mean they will. Need to burn fuel for starters, get permission, get into a line of waiting planes then do the whole thing again.

Went be happening for a mask unless it gets violent at which point they will more than likely continue and get the Spanish cops to deal with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

pjohnson wrote: »
    Gotta give him credit. His repeated childishness united those for and those against travel :pac:

Thats a real special achievement!

Why would I give a flying(:o) f-cuk what other people choose to do?

I have never told other people not to wear masks, all I did was impart how I refuse to wear one personally, and how I kept the trolly dollies at bay on board the plane.

My core objective in the thread is to stop people lying about the 14 day quarantine/ isolation. It doesn't exist in law and is not required in any way.

We are now at a stage where speaking the truth gets you attacked and vilified, but I'm a big boy so I can handle it. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

Reports of planes full but on my two round trip flights the planes were only about half filled.

Search the flight, if it's selling cheap. They ain't selling. Barcelona for example, someone a while because claimed flights were full but the prices don't show that at all.

Malaga to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

There are some flights which are fully sold out but are travelling at 70-80% occupancy. This is happening on green zone routes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Why would I give a flying(:o) f-cuk what other people choose to do?

I have never told other people not to wear masks, all I did was impart how I refuse to wear one personally, and how I kept the trolly dollies at bay on board the plane.

My core objective in the thread is to stop people lying about the 14 day quarantine/ isolation. It doesn't exist in law and is not required in any way.

We are now at a stage where speaking the truth gets you attacked and vilified, but I'm a big boy so I can handle it. :o

Describing cabin crew as "trolley dollies" is not very respectful and IMO means anythng else you state should not be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Interestingly in the Netherlands its not a requirement to wear them at all as they say there isn't much data to back up their usefulness.

Also this Q&A AMA has an interesting section on face masks from a HSE consultant.

What ever their usefulness I think it's just not socially acceptable to not wear a mask now on the flight unless you purchase a drink from staff or bring something from the airport. I'm hoping that they do actually help in general as well by stopping a certain % of harmful droplets getting out.

First paragraph of the link you posted

Under the current rules in the Netherlands, it is not necessary to wear face masks in your own personal time. Public transport is an exception. As of 1 June, the use of a non-medical face mask is required when you travel by public transport, since it is not possible to stay far enough apart in public transport. It should be noted that limited scientific evidence is available regarding how effective these face masks are.

Scientific evidence may be limited but they are mandatory on public transport which the central topic of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looking at the long-range weather-forecast you'd have to laugh at the people who've panic-canceled their foreign holidays this year.

A pat on the head from Simon Harris will be small consolation I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Looking at the long-range weather-forecast you'd have to laugh at the people who've panic-canceled their foreign holidays this year.

A pat on the head from Simon Harris will be small consolation I'd imagine.

Hopefully they will stay at home and support Irish businesses like you have been banging your drum about for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Just to share my own experience given that I’ve come here over the last 2 months to gather info on how to best approach the whole “travel or not” decision:

We flew out to Pisa Wed 29th afternoon with Ryanair. Dublin airport was very empty, about 20 flights left on the screens at 3.30pm (in late July!). Everybody wearing face masks pretty much everywhere except at the Marchette bar/restaurant. FYI you need to buy food at the self service part to access the bar ... they've made it "convenient" jacking up the price for a simple sandwich to €7.75 + crisps 1.75 gives you the right to a drink! Not much else open at the airport and honestly not much time to linger either... our flight opened boarding 1h15 before take-off time and they closed the door 15min earlier than the expected time. Would urge everybody to make their way to the gate early. sanitation stations every 20m or so in the duty free and shop area plus outside of every restrooms
    About 100ppl on the plane, more than i was expecting. Again, everybody wearing masks except for some very young children or while people were eating/drinking. all very civilized. We carried our own antibacterial wipes to clean the trays and armrests (we have a 6 and 2 year old and they will eventually touch everything and then touch our and their own face). The plane looked cleaner than it would be in summer months at least in terms of rubbish on the floor and seats.
    Pisa airport was even more deserted, completely empty besides the people on our plane. Was told by ryanair to fill out a form to hand to italian authorities but it was never collected. Temperature taken with one of those thermal cameras so you just stand for a second in a specific spot and then somebody gives you the go ahead. the whole temperature and passport check took no longer than 10-15min. No shuttlebus to rentalcar center due to Covid, had to walk about 1/2km. Picked up my car rental in 5min vs the usual 45min+ wait you'd have in this period. Car had a leaflet inside explaining how it gets cleaned after each rental (wife wiped everything down anyway!)
    Went food shopping here yesterday. got scolded a couple of times by locals for not following proper etiquette: we had masks but no latex gloves, they're not mandatory but people expect you to wear them if you are touching fruits and veg; cashier gave me the looks for running back into the supermarket to grab something i forgot... again, need to follow the proper flows in and out of the store. I'm Italian so very surprised at people following the rules and telling others to follow the rules... there is noting further from traditional Italian culture! we usually ignore the rules and/or ignore others breaking the rules.
    we came to visit family primarily but also get a bit of sunshine. we were surprised Italy made it on the green list and wouldnt bet that this will be the case going forward so took advantage of this window of opportunity. will come back to ireland on the 16th of August, earlier than initially expected to allow for my 6 year old to "isolate" before she starts school. this is not mandatory and I wasnt necessarily 100% happy about it but my wife felt that it would be the sensible thing to do to make everybody around us feel more comfortable. we went back and forth on this but the social/emotional aspect prevailed over the scientific/rational aspect ( i've been supporting the latter on this forum for some time). I'll be working from home anyway until early september so it doesnt make a huge difference and my wife is more relaxed about what other parents, neighbors, etc will say/think.
    i dont expect everybody to agree with what we're doing and we respect other people's approaches but this seemed like a reasonable compromise all around. in late May/early June we were NOT expecting to be able to travel back home so this feels special anyhow. My relatives here are really happy to be able to see us... we might not be able to come for Christmas given that the school break wouldnt allow much flexibility for for 14 day restricted movement so we're taking every day here as a bit of a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭horse7

Looks like aerlingus flights to Canada will be cancelled till march.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Just to share my own experience given that I’ve come here over the last 2 months to gather info on how to best approach the whole “travel or not” decision:

Awesome post, thanks for sharing a real experience, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

horse7 wrote: »

Have you a link? Thanks

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »

Have you a link? My girlfriend is Canadian, and has been unable to go home for some time due to work commitments here, even Christmas is looking touch and go, this would be a real blow.

Malaga to Cork.

no sane Spaniard is going to Cork :P
    There are some flights which are fully sold out but are travelling at 70-80% occupancy. This is happening on green zone routes.

Im sceptical to be honest. You are claining flights are full or nearly full but yet not a single person that has actually flown agrees. All personal experiences suggest half capacity at best.

Im sceptical to be honest. You are claining flights are full or nearly full but yet not a single person that has actually flown agrees. All personal experiences suggest half capacity at best.

Not 100% sure but looking at seat reservation there's very few left.

What do people think will happen to the green list? Due to go to France in 3 weeks, no point cancelling as we lose all the money but no one feels good about it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Beanybabog wrote: »
    What do people think will happen to the green list? Due to go to France in 3 weeks, no point cancelling as we lose all the money but no one feels good about it now

didnt the politicals go on their 6 weeek jollys :confused: :rolleyes: so maybe there will be no changes until they come back

I think a lot of people need to realise the economic concept of a "sunk cost". The non-refundable money shouldn't come into it as whether you go or not you can't get back the money.

You just need to weigh up whether you feel safe going and if the two weeks quarantine is worth it when you come back.

Judging by reading some posts on here some people seem to be basing their decision to go on the amount of money they've spent, whereas it really shouldn't come into it at all, it's a decision on safety.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    didnt the politicals go on their 6 weeek jollys :confused: :rolleyes: so maybe there will be no chances until they come back

I’d love one of them to be caught going to a non green list country! :-)

why not? Family holiday booked since last January. Grandparents, cousins, etc. Kids cannot wait to catch up with everyone and the site appears to be operating very well with sensible precuations that shouldnt stop the fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

It won't be changed by then for France that's for sure. We are just back from 3 weeks in Europe on the bikes where we did Spain, France and Italy and out of those 3 countries i felt safest in Spain. We went down the route Napoleon and spent a couple of days in the Cote D'Azur before heading into Italy and as far as we could see social distancing is non existent. Lord knows how they haven't had massive spikes in infected tbh. They are taking it very seriously in Italy with almost religious mask and social distancing measures in place.

Enjoy the trip and stay safe.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but looking at seat reservation there's very few left.

I bet the pricey ones up front are still available. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement