Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

why not? Family holiday booked since last January. Grandparents, cousins, etc. Kids cannot wait to catch up with everyone and the site appears to be operating very well with sensible precuations that shouldnt stop the fun

We can all restrict our movements when we come back but My Dad says he feels like a leper the way it’s being talked about! I’m sure he’ll be more miserable if we cancelled though

Beanybabog wrote: »
    We can all restrict our movements when we come back but My Dad says he feels like a leper the way it’s being talked about! I’m sure he’ll be more miserable if we cancelled though

Well you will be with other lepers in the leper community so tell your dad to grab a seat, a drink and leave his grumpy old man hat at the airport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

no sane Spaniard is going to Cork :P

Im sceptical to be honest. You are claining flights are full or nearly full but yet not a single person that has actually flown agrees. All personal experiences suggest half capacity at best.
    I flew out to Dubrovnik on the 22'nd, back on the 29th. Out was 80% full, back 70%.
    Easiest holiday I've ever experienced and great to get away from the misery here.
    Flight locator forms a joke. Hardly any available, no pens, I gave mine away. Guy at passport control didn't even look at them and I don't see them ever been used. My writing is poor at the best of times and the wobbly table didn't help. Asked for your carrier but not not your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Looking at the long-range weather-forecast you'd have to laugh at the people who've panic-canceled their foreign holidays this year.

A pat on the head from Simon Harris will be small consolation I'd imagine.

so glad we went to Spain. also glad we got home before it hits the 40s now this weekend, too mcuh for me and kids..

so far, so good. just expecting to wake up dead now any day

I flew out to Dubrovnik on the 22'nd, back on the 29th. Out was 80% full, back 70%.
    Easiest holiday I've ever experienced and great to get away from the misery here.
    Flight locator forms a joke. Hardly any available, no pens, I gave mine away. Guy at passport control didn't even look at them and I don't see them ever been used. My writing is poor at the best of times and the wobbly table didn't help. Asked for your carrier but not not your flight.

Sorry, only getting the coffee now. I had spain on the brain and wasnt reading the green list part. Can believe it for green list alright. Plenty jumping on as a result.

they checked my form the last time and re-wrote my name as they couldnt read the squiggle I call handwriting. Lack of forms and pens as you say. Enough to go round but people leaning over each other to get them. I dunno, people....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

We weren't asked to fill one out or did there seem to be any available on arrival in Dublin port on Tuesday. Not one of us in a group of 5 on motorbikes where stopped on disembarkment. Just rode off the boat and straight past the Gardai who didnt seem interested i stopping anyone in card or on bikes but they did pull over some camper vans and normal vans.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    so glad we went to Spain. also glad we got home before it hits the 40s now this weekend, too mcuh for me and kids..

so far, so good. just expecting to wake up dead now any day

Was a pleasant 25c most days in northern Spain for us. I couldn't hack 40c, think i'd rather stand in the rain on a beach in Cork than face that kind of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Was a pleasant 25c most days in northern Spain for us. I couldn't hack 40c, think i'd rather stand in the rain on a beach in Cork than face that kind of heat.

was early 30s down at my mams place on the Costa, was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Sorry, only getting the coffee now. I had spain on the brain and wasnt reading the green list part. Can believe it for green list alright. Plenty jumping on as a result.

Not on the green list. North of the country has some cases. Dubrovnik, one a day at the moment but will go up as tourists arrive.
    They've had 150 deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I’d love one of them to be caught going to a non green list country! :-)

guarantee you some politicans will travel abroad, even iof its to a green lst country they are goig againsy their own advie which is not to travel, i bet they'll go via Belfast to avoid detection.

the worst government in decades if not ever and they are only at the helm just over a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 lion11

Advice to everybody. If you were on holidays to red countries and on PUP, Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit payment was suspended you should apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

lion11 wrote: »
    Advice to everybody. If you were on holidays to red countries and on PUP, Jobseekers Allowance or Benefit payment was suspended you should apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance.

Two of our group got asked on the way out of Rosslare for ID by social welfare officers accompanied by Gardaí. Both refused and told them they would produce ID for immigration officials only and Gardai if requested but not with social welfare officers present. The Gardai told them to proceed onto the ferry and that was the end of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lion11

Two of our group got asked on the way out of Rosslare for ID by social welfare officers accompanied by Gardaí. Both refused and told them they would produce ID for immigration officials only and Gardai if requested but not with social welfare officers present. The Gardai told them to proceed onto the ferry and that was the end of the matter.

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Just to share my own experience given that I’ve come here over the last 2 months to gather info on how to best approach the whole “travel or not” decision:

We flew out to Pisa Wed 29th afternoon with Ryanair. Dublin airport was very empty, about 20 flights left on the screens at 3.30pm (in late July!). Everybody wearing face masks pretty much everywhere except at the Marchette bar/restaurant. FYI you need to buy food at the self service part to access the bar ... they've made it "convenient" jacking up the price for a simple sandwich to €7.75 + crisps 1.75 gives you the right to a drink! Not much else open at the airport and honestly not much time to linger either... our flight opened boarding 1h15 before take-off time and they closed the door 15min earlier than the expected time. Would urge everybody to make their way to the gate early. sanitation stations every 20m or so in the duty free and shop area plus outside of every restrooms
    About 100ppl on the plane, more than i was expecting. Again, everybody wearing masks except for some very young children or while people were eating/drinking. all very civilized. We carried our own antibacterial wipes to clean the trays and armrests (we have a 6 and 2 year old and they will eventually touch everything and then touch our and their own face). The plane looked cleaner than it would be in summer months at least in terms of rubbish on the floor and seats.
    Pisa airport was even more deserted, completely empty besides the people on our plane. Was told by ryanair to fill out a form to hand to italian authorities but it was never collected. Temperature taken with one of those thermal cameras so you just stand for a second in a specific spot and then somebody gives you the go ahead. the whole temperature and passport check took no longer than 10-15min. No shuttlebus to rentalcar center due to Covid, had to walk about 1/2km. Picked up my car rental in 5min vs the usual 45min+ wait you'd have in this period. Car had a leaflet inside explaining how it gets cleaned after each rental (wife wiped everything down anyway!)
    Went food shopping here yesterday. got scolded a couple of times by locals for not following proper etiquette: we had masks but no latex gloves, they're not mandatory but people expect you to wear them if you are touching fruits and veg; cashier gave me the looks for running back into the supermarket to grab something i forgot... again, need to follow the proper flows in and out of the store. I'm Italian so very surprised at people following the rules and telling others to follow the rules... there is noting further from traditional Italian culture! we usually ignore the rules and/or ignore others breaking the rules.
    we came to visit family primarily but also get a bit of sunshine. we were surprised Italy made it on the green list and wouldnt bet that this will be the case going forward so took advantage of this window of opportunity. will come back to ireland on the 16th of August, earlier than initially expected to allow for my 6 year old to "isolate" before she starts school. this is not mandatory and I wasnt necessarily 100% happy about it but my wife felt that it would be the sensible thing to do to make everybody around us feel more comfortable. we went back and forth on this but the social/emotional aspect prevailed over the scientific/rational aspect ( i've been supporting the latter on this forum for some time). I'll be working from home anyway until early september so it doesnt make a huge difference and my wife is more relaxed about what other parents, neighbors, etc will say/think.
    i dont expect everybody to agree with what we're doing and we respect other people's approaches but this seemed like a reasonable compromise all around. in late May/early June we were NOT expecting to be able to travel back home so this feels special anyhow. My relatives here are really happy to be able to see us... we might not be able to come for Christmas given that the school break wouldnt allow much flexibility for for 14 day restricted movement so we're taking every day here as a bit of a gift.

Thanks for that. I'm heading to Pisa in September. Is the PisaMover still running do you know?

Listening to a trinity professor on news talk, said Scotland and NI are pursuing a zero covid strategy and we should too, so no travel and the gardai should have power to enforce mandatory quarantine. With due respect to his expertise, of the government seriously wanted to pursue a zero covid island wouldn’t the time to do have been before we opened stuff up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

bladespin wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but looking at seat reservation there's very few left.

Our flight out had about 90% of the seats sold but it seems that lots of people didn’t show. I had no one in the seats beside me, one person in the row behind me (my husband), empty row in front of me and the 2 rows across the aisle were empty too even though most of them were shown as sold on the app. I was completely social distanced for the flight!! It was lovely.

Sweltering now in Spain in 36 degree heat but delighted to have gotten out here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just took a look at my own flight to Italy very few booked seats at the moment. Far from full. Flights still selling at €29.99 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

polesheep wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm heading to Pisa in September. Is the PisaMover still running do you know?

I don’t know for sure as I exited the airport at the opposite end but would expect it to be running. The shuttle bus was stopped as it was a smaller van and impossible to SD.

PisaMover should have more space and is the gateway to Florence which is the real lifeline for Tuscan tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Listening to a trinity professor on news talk, said Scotland and NI are pursuing a zero covid strategy and we should too, so no travel and the gardai should have power to enforce mandatory quarantine. With due respect to his expertise, of the government seriously wanted to pursue a zero covid island wouldn’t the time to do have been before we opened stuff up?

More complete nonsense. There is zero chance of Scotland getting to zero cases and the same goes for NI.

They might miraculously achieve a day here or there with few cases and perhaps even none but neither are islands in the middle of an ocean with airport s and ports closed.

Leaving aside the obvious border and free movement issues for both countries am I not right in saying that their 'green list' comes from Westminster and contains over 50 countries?

Edit. And is it (a) stated anywhere officially that NI and Scotland are pursuing this strategy and (b) how they intend to achieve it.

Sorry I missed that newstalk segment. Was the great professor challenged in anyway?

That's one of the 1000 experts from the famous letter. Unusual that I feel comfortable calling him an idiot despite his education. He has on several occasions mentioned New Zealand and why can't we do it. That was enough to confirm his idiocy in my opinion.
    One thing that annoys me is people like him , Staines etc get the airwaves yet the likes of Luke O'Neill or J Lambert are ignored.
    Also he was talking bollix, N Sturgeon suggested that the four countries that make up the UK should pursue a zero Covid policy

• Advertisement

Feria40 wrote: »

Sorry I missed that newstalk segment. Was the great professor challenged in anyway?

I doubt it, the only time I heard that particular acedemic challenged was the Tonight show by Yates and that was several weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

More complete nonsense. There is zero chance of Scotland getting to zero cases and the same goes for NI.

They might miraculously achieve a day here or there with few cases and perhaps even none but neither are islands in the middle of an ocean with airport s and ports closed.

Leaving aside the obvious border and free movement issues for both countries am I not right in saying that their 'green list' comes from Westminster and contains over 50 countries?

Edit. And is it (a) stated anywhere officially that NI and Scotland are pursuing this strategy and (b) how they intend to achieve it.

Very negative approach why not think outside the blinkers for a sec.
    When schools open we will shut down. Sure as night follows day.
    The only people saying that it's impossible are those in the airline industry who need people to travel.
    Cases in Spain on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in France on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in Germany on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.

This is not our first rodeo. Had the world and it's mother not gone skiing in Feb we would have faired better.

The virus only went away because we didn't move too much.
    The economic damage done when schools start closing en masse will be far greater than the damage caused by limiting travel to non essential and mandatory quarantine.

Michael O'leary will do everything in his considerable power to make sure this happens so it might take a couple of waves and a few more bodies.

New Zealand did it and their ports and airports are open for import and export of goods so saying "how can we survive" is the biggest horse s!te, Ryanair PR talking point, illogical strawman argument on the planet.

It's up there with it's just a flu.

https://twitter.com/IndependentSage/status/1288220674834792448?s=20

out of curiosity, were the 2 on PUP and were they the only 2? As in, were they targeted or random selection do you think?

That's one of the 1000 experts from the famous letter. Unusual that I feel comfortable calling him an idiot despite his education. He has on several occasions mentioned New Zealand and why can't we do it. That was enough to confirm his idiocy in my opinion.
    One thing that annoys me is people like him , Staines etc get the airwaves yet the likes of Luke O'Neill or J Lambert are ignored.
    Also he was talking bollix, N Sturgeon suggested that the four countries that make up the UK should pursue a zero Covid policy

Wonder why they are ignoring him.......
    He was very calming.
    This hasn't aged well.

Norway reopened schools, they are also on our green list. Country is not locked down either.
    So why do you suggest as soon as we open schools we will do the opposite of what other countries have done?

https://www.dw.com/en/reopening-schools-in-norway/av-53923224

Wonder why they are ignoring him.......
    He was very calming.
    This hasn't aged well.

He referenced the WHO, I remember NPHET saying masks were not affective either. How did that age? Any thoughts?
    Btw in case you missed it Norway opened the schools they haven't shutdown and are on our green list. So why will we shutdown when we reopen them?

Very negative approach why not think outside the blinkers for a sec.
    When schools open we will shut down. Sure as night follows day.
    The only people saying that it's impossible are those in the airline industry who need people to travel.
    Cases in Spain on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in France on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in Germany on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.

This is not our first rodeo. Had the world and it's mother not gone skiing in Feb we would have faired better.

The virus only went away because we didn't move too much.
    The economic damage done when schools start closing en masse will be far greater than the damage caused by limiting travel to non essential and mandatory quarantine.

Michael O'leary will do everything in his considerable power to make sure this happens so it might take a couple of waves and a few more bodies.

New Zealand did it and their ports and airports are open for import and export of goods so saying "how can we survive" is the biggest horse s!te, Ryanair PR talking point, illogical strawman argument on the planet.

It's up there with it's just a flu.

https://twitter.com/IndependentSage/status/1288220674834792448?s=20[/Quote

Travel doesn't cause infection. People not taking the personal precautions they should take causes infection.

New Zealand is in the middle of an ocean and not a member of the world's largest trading block. Nor does it share a border with another jurisdiction

We get to zero and then what?

Inward tourism to Ireland is three times larger than inward tourism to New Zealand.

There are hundreds of thousands of people on some form of welfare in Ireland. Who picks up the tab until a vaccine is found, rolled out then taken my sufficient numbers to provide herd immunity?

Edit: also can you hazard a guess at what level of national debt we carried into this crisis versus New Zealand..?

One of our biggest problem and it's not the first time, is our government shirking responsibility .

Still people on buses without masks (albeit far fewer).

'We are making it mandatory to wear facemasks in shops...but we don't know when we will legislate for it... Btw 6 week holiday now"

Unions out in force sayings that's it's not up to bus drivers/retail staff to enforce the rules. What do they want a cop in every shop and on every bus?

Schools should have been back before now. The LC was a complete cop out too

In the space of one week in Malaga (population c.500k) almost 1,500 people were fined for not wearing masks. €100 on the spot.

Here?

Its a joke.

Was only listening in the car, but I dont believe confirmed why or how he believes NI are pursuing the strategy. My ears pricked up because of my own holidays and then I thought damn, lets hope this guy has no input or will be arrested on my to the ferry! He was not challenged, was only himself on unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Travel doesn't cause infection. People not taking the personal precautions they should take causes infection.

New Zealand is in the middle of an ocean and not a member of the world's largest trading block. Nor does it share a border with another jurisdiction

We get to zero and then what?

Inward tourism to Ireland is three times larger than inward tourism to New Zealand.

There are hundreds of thousands of people on some form of welfare in Ireland. Who picks up the tab until a vaccine is found, rolled out then taken my sufficient numbers to provide herd immunity?

Edit: also can you hazard a guess at what level of national debt we carried into this crisis versus New Zealand..?

Few things. Nice blame game.
    • So you blame people who work in the hospital for getting it? Maybe they didn't know what it was. i.e a biosafety level 4 novel pathogen that is airborne.
    • Tourism while important accounts for 6% of GDP here.
    • Irelands tourism is 3 times larger on a visitor basis. But it is equivalent on a visitor night basis (number of visitors X number of nights)
    • In terms of who picks up the tab. Ryanair got 700 million pounds from UK government with no strings attached. They probably used it to buy back there own shares and enrich themselves further.
    • Cost of borrowing at negative yields from the ECB costs less than nothing. i.e @ -0.5% if you borrow a billion you get 5 million a year instead of having to pay it.
    • The cost of servicing our national debt has decreased every single year since 2012 as negative rates allow us to refinance and avail of free money (the %M in the above example)

I've never seen so many weak arguments in my life.

Our economy is arguably much stronger.....certainly on an export basis. (where it counts)

521657.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement