Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Didn't quarantine tbh. Did what I had to do and wore a mask and took precaution. Even went for a couple of pints outside one of the days.

HSE site mentions nothing aout people not being 'allowed to leave their home' like the majority here believe!!

restrict your movements, fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's cool. Hope you weren't asymptomatic. Your extended community may not thank you for your heroics.
    You don't work in a meat packing plant by chance?

Maybe but you do understand the odds of a close contact (even in a high risk country) are very, very low, lower again if you’re following guidelines of distancing etc. Not trolling or arguing with your viewpoint, just pointing this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with and rooting so much for Ryanair!

But they're 100% right especially the part that the travel ban is "completely disproportionate to the risk" which it absolutely is.

And some idiot was posting here earlier claiming all the spikes everywhere are travel related when the sources of all recent spikes have been revealed and NONE are travel related.

Look this quarantine/self isolation/restrict movements, whatever term they use to describe it is bull****. It has NOTHING to do with safety and EVERYTHING to do with controlling and frightening the population.

I'm back almost two weeks. I've received no phone call and nothing or nobody is making me self isolate, except my own sense of responsibility. And my experience is the norm from what I gather.

This travel advisory and the way it's being used both to bully people and not pay them their incomes is an absolute disgrace and I hope RA take this joke of a Govt to the cleaners!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

My two weeks is nearly up, no phone call yet. Travelling back to UK through Dublin next week, expecting another very quiet flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    First paragraph of the link you posted

Under the current rules in the Netherlands, it is not necessary to wear face masks in your own personal time. Public transport is an exception. As of 1 June, the use of a non-medical face mask is required when you travel by public transport, since it is not possible to stay far enough apart in public transport. It should be noted that limited scientific evidence is available regarding how effective these face masks are.

Scientific evidence may be limited but they are mandatory on public transport which the central topic of this forum.

My bad. I jumped the gun here. You are correct and thanks for pointing it out.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »
    Never thought I'd find myself agreeing with and rooting so much for Ryanair!

But they're 100% right especially the part that the travel ban is "completely disproportionate to the risk" which it absolutely is.

And some idiot was posting here earlier claiming all the spikes everywhere are travel related when the sources of all recent spikes have been revealed and NONE are travel related.

Look this quarantine/self isolation/restrict movements, whatever term they use to describe it is bull****. It has NOTHING to do with safety and EVERYTHING to do with controlling and frightening the population.

I'm back almost two weeks. I've received no phone call and nothing or nobody is making me self isolate, except my own sense of responsibility. And my experience is the norm from what I gather.

This travel advisory and the way it's being used both to bully people and not pay them their incomes is an absolute disgrace and I hope RA take this joke of a Govt to the cleaners!

It's only a judicial review. They aren't taking an action so no money is involved.

I'm not sure what the end goal is though, everything is 'a health recommendation' and the airlines are free to fly and sell tickets. The courts won't find against a health recommendation on a judicial review.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

What really shocked me about the whole PUP fiasco is the Gardai and SW inspectors operating at the DEPARTURE gates!

I always assumed such matters could only be conducted upon entry to the country.

This hits home just how serious of a situation we're in in terms of sliding into a Police State. :(

What really shocked me about the whole PUP fiasco is the Gardai and SW inspectors operating at the DEPARTURE gates!

I always assumed such matters could only be conducted upon entry to the country.

This hits home just how serious of a situation we're in in terms of sliding into a Police State. :(

Criminals try to flee the country now and again. Gardai at the gates isn't new.

Police state? Again with that comment when you appear to rejoice in antagonising people. Yulou are asked nicely to put a mask on and won't. I bet you would only love a Garda to approach you so you could fight the power

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

It's only a judicial review. They aren't taking an action so no money is involved.

I'm not sure what the end goal is though, everything is 'a health recommendation' and the airlines are free to fly and sell tickets. The courts won't find against a health recommendation on a judicial review.

Thanks for clarifying. I think the following article explains it very well. You could be right but Ryanair would hardly do this if they didn't expect to succeed. I really hope they do.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-seeks-to-challenge-government-s-international-travel-restrictions-

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

It seems like staycationing is getting the blame for the resurgence of cases in France...meetings between households seems to be a big risk now, and I expect it's more likely that friends get together to holiday at home than abroad where families might be more inclined to keep to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Wallander wrote: »
    It seems like staycationing is getting the blame for the resurgence of cases in France...meetings between households seems to be a big risk now, and I expect it's more likely that friends get together to holiday at home than abroad where families might be more inclined to keep to themselves

My kids would be at far more risk of contracting the virus if we holidayed at home as they will be constantly meeting up with friends and cousins.

In Spain for 2 weeks we just hang out as a family.

That's why there'll be no 'restricting of movements' when we get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭horse7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

horse7 wrote: »

It was never on it. The advice is don't travel , you are however not stopped from doing so. Flights are available , mixed messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yep, spain was safer than here. fact.

Andalucia is fine, its Barecelona that screwed again

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

So I am planning on heading away in Oct the trip is fully paid for pre COVID,

However the country I am going to I was reading there going to need me to have a clear COVID test for them to see when I land,

Here’s the problem how am I going to get one of these COVID tests in Ireland ? Will my dr send me for one ?

Can I pay for one perv in a perv hospital?

However the country I am going to I was reading there going to need me to have a clear COVID test for them to see when I land,

Here’s the problem how am I going to get one of these COVID tests in Ireland ? Will my dr send me for one ?

I'm guessing if someone wanted a test, they could ring their doctor complaining of some of the symptoms who I guess will then organise a test. Just a guess though and I'm in no way suggesting someone try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

You can get a test and travel clearance cert here for €160

https://www.tmb.ie/services/covid-19-travel-clearance-certificate

I'm guessing if someone wanted a test, they could ring their doctor complaining of some of the symptoms who I guess will then organise a test. Just a guess though and I'm in no way suggesting someone try this.

I don't think they would issue you with a travel clearance cert though, that's a requirement for entry into some countries. I don't think a text to confirm a negative test would cut it.

I don't think they would issue you with a travel clearance cert though, that's a requirement for entry into some countries. I don't think a text to confirm a negative test would cut it.

Honestly haven't heard of these travel clearance certs. Every day is a school day.
    Cheers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Very negative approach why not think outside the blinkers for a sec.
    When schools open we will shut down. Sure as night follows day.
    The only people saying that it's impossible are those in the airline industry who need people to travel.
    Cases in Spain on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in France on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.
    Cases in Germany on the rise due to ........ guess what? Travel.

This is not our first rodeo. Had the world and it's mother not gone skiing in Feb we would have faired better.

The virus only went away because we didn't move too much.
    The economic damage done when schools start closing en masse will be far greater than the damage caused by limiting travel to non essential and mandatory quarantine.

Michael O'leary will do everything in his considerable power to make sure this happens so it might take a couple of waves and a few more bodies.

New Zealand did it and their ports and airports are open for import and export of goods so saying "how can we survive" is the biggest horse s!te, Ryanair PR talking point, illogical strawman argument on the planet.

It's up there with it's just a flu.

https://twitter.com/IndependentSage/status/1288220674834792448?s=20

Greetings from Spain. You’re talking nonsense. Spain documents and publicises coronavirus cases and cause of spread and infection in the media daily

It has been repeated numerous times that the increase in cases here are not due to international travel.

The primary reasons are:

House parties/family gatherings
    Nightclubs

Stop spreading misinformation.

• Advertisement

You can get a test and travel clearance cert here for €160

https://www.tmb.ie/services/covid-19-travel-clearance-certificate

I am looking at that however I am in cork so I would need to go up to Dublin to get tested then come back down to cork and wait on the results !!!. I must give them a call Tusday and ask for more details

I am quite sorry my flight isn’t with Turkish airlines as you can get tested in the airport over there !!! And you pay I think 20 euros and a 2 hour turn around time !!!

I don’t really won’t to lie to my dr at all in regards to getttong a test. As I said I reather just pay for one somewhere

I am looking at that however I am in cork so I would need to go up to Dublin to get tested then come back down to cork and wait on the results !!!. I must give them a call Tusday and ask for more details

I am quite sorry my flight isn’t with Turkish airlines as you can get tested in the airport over there !!! And you pay I think 20 euros and a 2 hour turn around time !!!

I don’t really won’t to lie to my dr at all in regards to getttong a test. As I said I reather just pay for one somewhere

They will send you out a self test kit. In order to issue a travel cert they just have to witness you (assume by video call) to make sure you are taking the swab correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

What is the procedure with Turkish airlines? Is that done for transit passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hoping to travel to Italy in June 2021 but not booking for another few months p. Just to make sure it stays on the green list

What is the procedure with Turkish airlines? Is that done for transit passengers?

https://onemileatatime.com/istanbul-airport-coronavirus-testing/

Here we go, and there is a video showing it

Even Munich airport has started COVID testing to,

We can’t even set up a temp check in Dublin never mind a COVID test center !!!

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hoping to travel to Italy in June 2021 but not booking for another few months p. Just to make sure it stays on the green list

Heading there on Monday. I have friends there. They take the precautions very seriously. You will get castigated by people for not observing SD/hand hygiene and particularly mask wearing and that's before a police officer gets involved. €1000 fine if not wearing a mask were required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For anyone interested in why Spain is doing a great job despite the numbers, read this. Someone send it to the Irish government too!

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-07-28/what-spain-is-telling-us-about-second-wave-of-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I am looking at that however I am in cork so I would need to go up to Dublin to get tested then come back down to cork and wait on the results !!!....

Bon Secours Cork were thinking about running a service for companies that wanted to test their employees.

Don’t know if it went ahead. Don’t know the cost. Don’t know what kind of cert they would give. Don’t know if they would provide the service to individuals.

That’s a lot of don’t knows & it looks like this tmb crowd might sort you out. But if all else fails might be worth looking into.

Also, did you say October you are going? God knows what the situation will be like then and what regulations will be in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

faceman wrote: »
    For anyone interested in why Spain is doing a great job despite the numbers, read this. Someone send it to the Irish government too!

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-07-28/what-spain-is-telling-us-about-second-wave-of-coronavirus

spain doing a great job me hole , that's the same as Trump liking his own tweet or fox news , get off the spain is doing great train we wear masks and is safer than Ireland bull . ****ing cock

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement