Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

spain doing a great job me hole , that's the same as Trump liking his own tweet or fox news , get off the spain is doing great train we wear masks and is safer than Ireland bull . ****ing cock

Many people, including the Irish government in my opinion, are not truly considering how volatile this whole situation is. Ireland has already had one day this week with cases well above the UK per population, you can look at data and say this or that country must be doing a terrible job, but the reality is one or two flare-ups and Ireland could quickly get some relatively horrible numbers. Yes nobody wants cases to be going up, but given that countries want to reopen as much normal life as possible, this was always going to happen to some extent, and given much higher testing, numbers are still much lower than they were in the spring everywhere in Europe, thank God. Let's be careful, let's be vigilant but no need to sling mud in case it lands on ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

spain doing a great job me hole , that's the same as Trump liking his own tweet or fox news , get off the spain is doing great train we wear masks and is safer than Ireland bull . ****ing cock

Wow Spain must have have done something bad to you at some stage as it obviously cracks you up that they might be doing ok over there.

We won't let the facts get in the way of your rant.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hoping to travel to Italy in June 2021 but not booking for another few months p. Just to make sure it stays on the green list

**** me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

was there for two weeks and its safer than here, a million times over.

unless you think wearing masks at all times doesnt help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Sounds like a fun holiday.
    Heading there on Monday. I have friends there. They take the precautions very seriously. You will get castigated by people for not observing SD/hand hygiene and particularly mask wearing and that's before a police officer gets involved. €1000 fine if not wearing a mask were required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It is an absolute disgrace. They did not even do exams and they are heading off to celebrate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

It is an absolute disgrace. They did not even do exams and they are heading off to celebrate them.

I do wonder about articles like this in the current climate.

Firstly the Algarve... When has this ever been an LC destination?

It sounds more like the author has gotten wind of a handful of LC students heading off that she knows either directly or indirectly and now she is having a swipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Why wouldn't they celebrate? They pulled a fast one thanks to the #STAYTHE****HOME luvvies who want to cancel life.

What about the hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide that have been “cancelled “ prematurely?? Or are you of Bolsonsro’s mindset that what the hell everyone has to die sometime??

GazzaL wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they celebrate? They pulled a fast one thanks to the #STAYTHE****HOME luvvies who want to cancel life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do share your insight so rather than your rant. Or better yet, come visit and see what’s it’s like.

It’s insanity for any country to think they can eliminate the virus and continue down a path of restrictions where restrictions aren’t needed. Ireland is trying to adopt a 1 size fits all approach to the country. It’s not working and it’s crippling the country. Scaremongering won’t eliminate the virus either

It’s highly unlikely that there will be a day of zero infections and near impossible there will be a number of days of zero infections. The sooner people realise that the sooner countries can plan a recovery

Look what’s happening now, young people are the new focus point. What’s ireland going to do next? Impose curfew on people under 45? Close facilities that cater for young people? What do you think will happen then? The virus will just move to the next group

Testing, contact tracing, face masks and social distancing is how you manage it

Has Ireland’s testing regime changed at all? Does it still take a GP referral for a test?

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    What about the hundreds of thousands of lives worldwide that have been “cancelled “ prematurely?? Or are you of Bolsonsro’s mindset that what the hell everyone has to die sometime??

What about them? How many people died last year in total? What were the highest causes?

They are celebrating finishing 14 years of school. Could you stop being so miserable for 5 minutes and allow some people in the world to be happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

After months of uncertainty around how, if and when the LC could happen and stress of all that I’d say they deserve one tbh, they were one of the groups treated worst in all this.

Maybe just wait til the pubs are open and go on a mad one instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

bladespin wrote: »
    After months of uncertainty around how, if and when the LC could happen and stress of all that I’d say they deserve one tbh, they were one of the groups treated worst in all this.

Maybe just wait til the pubs are open and go on a mad one instead?

Younger generations aren’t as in to booze as older ones

Feria40 wrote: »
    I do wonder about articles like this in the current climate.

Firstly the Algarve... When has this ever been an LC destination?

It sounds more like the author has gotten wind of a handful of LC students heading off that she knows either directly or indirectly and now she is having a swipe.

Agree with this. As a secondary teacher I've never heard of hoards of kids heading off foreign to celebrate finishing school. You'd hear of the odd small arrangement of 3-4 friends but certainly nothing whole school along the lines of a Debs, as the article implies.

Maybe getting tired at swiping at travellers as there are so few and swiping now at teenagers for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

I hope those kids have a nice time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

acequion wrote: »

Maybe getting tired at swiping at travellers as there are so few and swiping now at teenagers for the sake of it. :rolleyes:

I hope those kids have a nice time.

Sensationalist writer’s wet dream article: teens, beaches, party and travel, surpused they haven’t thrown in the drugs line to get the auld wans weak at the knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nah, it's just next week's group to blame for our numbers. In all probability these trips were booked last year. Personally, see the mental health for this relief even if we get a few cases out of it. Our recent cases have shown the system for tracking them down is working well.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Nah, it's just next week's group to blame for our numbers. In all probability these trips were booked last year. Personally, see the mental health for this relief even if we get a few cases out of it. Our recent cases have shown the system for tracking them down is working well.

Nail on head

They won’t import coronavirus. We have over 6 weeks of date from the EU and travel is not a driver of spread anymore. Seems counterintuitive but that’s the reality

Wow...that’s the most crass statement I’ve ever read.

quote="Niner leprauchan;114200743"]What about them? How many people died last year in total? What were the highest causes?[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

johnire wrote: »
    Wow...that’s the most crass statement I’ve ever read.

quote="Niner leprauchan;114200743"]What about them? How many people died last year in total? What were the highest causes?
    [/quote]

Crass or not , its realism. 90 people die each and every day in Ireland and that was before Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There needs to be an acceptance that we must live with this for the time being and you can’t just lock people up indefinitely

I wasn't listening to it but seems that Donnelly had this to say on RTE's The Week:

"We are examining other options as well for further restrictions on non-essential travel because ... the international situation is becoming more volatile."

Jesus what is wrong with those people and their power trip!! Seems he also admitted that we have the strictest restrictions in Europe, yet they want to make it even worse!! :eek:

I wasn't listening to it but seems that Donnelly had this to say on RTE's The Week:

"We are examining other options as well for further restrictions on non-essential travel because ... the international situation is becoming more volatile."

Jesus what is wrong with those people and their power trip!! Seems he also admitted that we have the strictest restrictions in Europe, yet they want to make it even worse!! :eek:

How have we got the toughest restrictions?

Go look it up for yourself. That's widely known and Donnelly even referred to it today. And have you not even heard of Ryanair's action because in Ireland we're doing and I quote from Ryanair "a solo run" in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭quokula

Go look it up for yourself. That's widely known and Donnelly even referred to it today. And have you not even heard of Ryanair's action because in Ireland we're doing and I quote from Ryanair "a solo run" in Europe?

Yes because when weighing up what level you want to compromise between public health and air travel, Ryanair are definitely the kind of neutral arbiter you'd want to consult.

quokula wrote: »
    Yes because when weighing up what level you want to compromise between public health and air travel, Ryanair are definitely the kind of neutral arbiter you'd want to consult.

There is very little compromise. The travel restrictions are punitive, the most stringent in Europe and as Ryanair points out "disproportionate to the risk" which is borne out by the stats of 1/10 cases being linked to travel. It is a bit crazy when you find yourself siding with Ryanair but I fully agree with them on this.

Only just realised that it was you who clarified about Ryanair's action so I find this post puzzling! :confused:

If they make it any stricter Ryanair might succeed in their court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I think Ryanair will succeed but since it’s a Judicial review it’ll still be open to the government to legislate for restrictions.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I think Ryanair will succeed but since it’s a Judicial review it’ll still be open to the government to legislate for restrictions.

What are the implications of them winning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Gael23 wrote: »
    What are the implications of them winning?

A JR usually quashes a decision of a public body, and it focuses on the lawfulness of the process rather than the end decision. So a judge could think all travel should be restricted and still rule in Ryanair’s favour if they government acted unlawfully. One of the arguments will be that advice against non essential travel and the 14 day restrictions is in effect mandatory and therefore they didn’t follow correct procedures and legislate for it. The government argues its advisory. Given public employees are being forced take 14 days off if they travel I think there’s a good argument to be made it’s not advisory at all. There are more arguments being made too.

I assume if they win the Judge will quash the decision to have a green list at all and the 14 day restrict your movements. It could still come back but they’d have to publish legislation, take the usual steps, it could still be unconstitutional etc.
    Not sure what would happen to the advice against non essential travel- it still affects insurance and therefore an individuals ability to travel.

I hope it’s gets on ASAP. Regardless of anyone’s opinion on travelling or not I’m sure lots of people would welcome the clarity that follows the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement