Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I listened back to that interview with Donnelly on "The Week" and to me he sounded quite proud of the fact that we have the strictest restrictions in Europe.Personally I hate the fact that my country is such a nanny state and I really hate this new Govt and am disappointed with their overcautious approach. From the outset they haven't hidden their political agenda to get schools reopened and fcuk any priority anyone else might have.And for all that the reopening plan is very unsafe, but that's being discussed in other threads.

I really hope Ryanair win their action though it may only be a Pyrrhic victory.The civil liberties people have gone very quiet again since their justifiable outrage last week over the sneaky stopping of PUP payments of people travelling. In Ireland citizen power is generally weak, the Govt call all the shots.One time it was the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I do think reopening schools is very important but that’s off topic for the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

It is an absolute disgrace. They did not even do exams and they are heading off to celebrate them.

For those who won’t travel as things stand (I’m one) when do you think you would travel should things remain as is with no vaccine and low-ish levels of Covid in Ireland?

I’ll be going abroad in the new year maybe around March to somewhere with similar or lower Covid rates as us at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

They are celebrating finishing 14 years of school. Could you stop being so miserable for 5 minutes and allow some people in the world to be happy?

As someone who has for months been on the side of open up things (with caution) I was being sarcastic. Sick to the teeth of the focus on foreign travel which has probably led to an increase in cases domestically.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    For those who won’t travel as things stand (I’m one) when do you think you would travel should things remain as is with no vaccine and low-ish levels of Covid in Ireland?

I’ll be going abroad in the new year maybe around March to somewhere with similar or lower Covid rates as us at that time.

Aiming for June 2021 but nit going to book for another few months

• Advertisement

As someone who has for months been on the side of open up things (with caution) I was being sarcastic. Sick to the teeth of the focus on foreign travel which has probably led to an increase in cases domestically.

1/10 cases travel related according to Donnelly. 2.5% is the official figure since the start of the pandemic. Don't forget we've been open all the time to travellers from the US and the UK. So you would wonder where the 1/10 come from exactly but we're not privy to that classified information. None of the recent spikes around Europe have been travel related including the one here.

There's only a focus on travel because of the ban. It's like prohibition. The same obsessive focus is much less evident abroad, unsurprisingly.

So if you're sick of it I wouldn't be blaming ordinary people claiming their democratic right to travel, I'd blame those denying that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Flew Dublin to Malaga on Wednesday gone.

Dublin Airport was absolutely dead, my flight was around 70% full though.. however, no enforcing of masks, or hand sanitizer upon entering the airport or any establishments within Dublin airport. Also, no one asking reasons for travel.

Burger King and the main Terrace Bar were closed, some clothing shops like Superdry was open, and Marquette was open for food/drinks/coffee.

Boarding was a very normal experience. Masks on plane the whole way over, Ryanair staff were telling people to wear their mask properly etc if they had it under their nose. Drinks and food served as normal on the plane, card only, no catalogues or magazines, use a QR code instead.

Upon arrival to Malaga Airport all was very organised and 'Covid Friendly'. Sign a contact tracing form upon arrival which they had hundreds of forms on tables, all in different languages for everyone to fill out.

As you came out of passport control there were designated people that took the forms from you, and your temperature was scanned on a big projector thing as you walked past.

In Spain now, all feels extremely safe and like any other Summer year, plenty of people around, all bars/restaurants open, beaches busy but all allocated a seperate spot to sit at. Everyone wearing masks.

Feel alot safer here than in Ireland, it's all very strict and organised here! Yes very hot at the moment but you get used to the masks, to be honest you only wear them in shops and walking to and from places..

You don't need to wear your mask at the pool/beach/ or once you arrive at your table in a restaurant or bar

If anyone is considering going to Spain I'd say definitely come, as I said it is alot safer and more organised here with restrictions compared to at home! Feels like any other year apart from masks.

I haven't seen many police officers but they will fine you €100 if you don't have your mask on you when you are supposed to, but again, it's not an issue as everybody is happy to comply and wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Flew Dublin to Malaga on Wednesday gone.
    Dublin Airport was absolutely dead, my flight was around 70% full though.. however, no enforcing of masks, or hand sanitizer upon entering the airport or any establishments within Dublin airport. Also, no one asking reasons for travel..

You sure about the Hand sanitizer thing? They are everywhere in the airport, no escaping them...
    Also i'm sure that if you hadn't got your mask on then someone from the DAA would approach you quite quickly as they're mandatory...

Who would you suggest has the legal right to ask you the reason why you're travelling at an airport?

Agree that the airport is Dead... The Irish are staying in their homes or booking overpriced boring holidays in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

So 1 in 10 are travel related, what exactly does that mean? Over what time period would be helpful. Over the past week maybe or shorter? So approximately 28 cases going by last week and then what do they mean by related? Maybe 1 person returning from abroad and passing on the virus to 27 in total, who knows.
    It's a very basic stat for a health minister to be throwing out there for the likes of rte to then turn into a headline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

acequion wrote: »
    1/10 cases travel related according to Donnelly. 2.5% is the official figure since the start of the pandemic....

I haven’t seen the interview with him but is the 1/10 figure for recent cases?
    The 2.5% figure is meaningless. Of course there was very little travel related as a percentage of the total number. Practically nobody travelled for months.

10% is still a low figure though. Be interesting to see is that for July & from what countries did the cases come from.

• Advertisement

It’s becoming clear hat travel has been unfairly demonised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

fm wrote: »
    ... So approximately 28 cases going by last week and then what do they mean by related? Maybe 1 person returning from abroad and passing on the virus to 27 in total, who knows...

Good point. In that scenario, I’d say 1 case was travel related but someone with an anti-travel agenda would say 28.

Good chance though that all 28 were behaviour related. Lack of social distancing etc...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You sure about the Hand sanitizer thing? They are everywhere in the airport, no escaping them...
    Also i'm sure that if you hadn't got your mask on then someone from the DAA would approach you quite quickly as they're mandatory...

Who would you suggest has the legal right to ask you the reason why you're travelling at an airport?

Agree that the airport is Dead... The Irish are staying in their homes or booking overpriced boring holidays in Ireland.

Am I sure? Yes, I am. Haha, nobody was standing at the entrance to any of the establishments within the airport ensuring people sanitise their hands or have a mask..

And yes you would assume in these times when it's supposed to be 'non essential travel' you'd have someone at passport control or similar asking for the reasons for travel :V.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I haven’t seen the interview with him but is the 1/10 figure for recent cases?
    The 2.5% figure is meaningless. Of course there was very little travel related as a percentage of the total number. Practically nobody travelled for months.

10% is still a low figure though. Be interesting to see is that for July & from what countries did the cases come from.

The 2.5% makes sense when you consider that it covers the start of the pandemic when people were travelling normally without precautions.

But it really would be interesting to get details on current travel related cases. While there will be some, I would imagine it's completely disproportionate to our draconian travel restrictions. I heard Donnelly yesterday and he seemed quite proud that we're so strict, informing us that they're looking at ways to make it even stricter. Those of us for whom travel and connectivity are a big part of our lives would want to be really worried with this guy in charge.

And yes you would assume in these times when it's supposed to be 'non essential travel' you'd have someone at passport control or similar asking for the reasons for travel :V.

No ‘non essential’ travel is not a rule. Just government advice. Even is there was someone there asking you why you are travelling, they can’t stop you if you say that that you’re going to Rome because their pizza is better

Am I sure? Yes, I am. Haha, nobody was standing at the entrance to any of the establishments within the airport ensuring people sanitise their hands or have a mask..

I think at this stage there's enough public messaging and enough signs and sanitizer stations at the airport that people don't need a Mask or sanitizer Inspector to tell them what do do like children? However I'm sure someone would request that the mask be worn.

Passport control is on the way back into the country, all they ask is for your PLF.

No ‘non essential’ travel is not a rule. Just government advice. Even is there was someone there asking you why you are travelling, they can’t stop you if you say that that you’re going to Rome because their pizza is better

Yea, doesn't make sense for someone to appoint a "Travel Inspector"...I mean someone standing at the security check in for example??
    "And what is the reason for your travel today Sir?" ..."The pizza here is terrible so i'm off to Italy"... "Ok Sir that's non-essential, prepare for a look of derision and a tut tut as I wave my finger in annoyance at you..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

It's just advice, it's not a travel ban. The green list countries are excluded from the non-essential travel advisory anyway, although the government haven't exactly broadcasted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't understand the random testing thing in Ireland. If you randomly choose an Irish person to test they can easily just refuse. They cannot prevent your entry into the country. The same probably applies for EU Citizens.

Might be different for non EU travellers.

If I travel abroad (of which is very unlikely) and I return to Ireland, they ain't sticking that thing up my nose. Not a chance. And I'm sure I will make a lot of money if they try and hold me down and shove that stick up my nose.

I don't understand the random testing thing in Ireland. If you randomly choose an Irish person to test they can easily just refuse. They cannot prevent your entry into the country. The same probably applies for EU Citizens.

Might be different for non EU travellers.

If I travel abroad (of which is very unlikely) and I return to Ireland, they ain't sticking that thing up my nose. Not a chance. And I'm sure I will make a lot of money if they try and hold me down and shove that stick up my nose.

Correct at the moment, allowing testing could easily be made law. I doubt it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Is anyone planning on travelling with kids in the next few weeks before the schools reopen? As far as I can see the schools have provided dates for opening but no further information yet.

I would imagine 14 days isolation rules will apply so they won't be accepted for 2 weeks after arriving back in country...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Is anyone planning on travelling with kids in the next few weeks before the schools reopen? As far as I can see the schools have provided dates for opening but no further information yet.

I would imagine 14 days isolation rules will apply so they won't be accepted for 2 weeks after arriving back in country...

Follow HSE guidelines, restrict movements unless arriving from a green list country; from our school.

VG31 wrote: »
    It's just advice, it's not a travel ban. The green list countries are excluded from the non-essential travel advisory anyway, although the government haven't exactly broadcasted it.

I am well aware it's just advice. Travelled to Spain last week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It is an absolute disgrace. They did not even do exams and they are heading off to celebrate them.

What’s your beef with it? It sounds like you’re begrudging their behaviour. They’re not doing anything illegal or wrong.

LC students have had an incredible amount of unnecessary uncertain and stress on the back of the deplorable handling of education in Ireland

If you don't tell the school you've been away how will they know? They can't not accept" the child if they don't know.

Now I'm not necessarily advocating that course of action but I'm curious about that. And I very much doubt they'll be asking parents straight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I have no intention of telling my kid's school where I've been.

It's none of their business.

I find it bizzare that anyone would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Whether you intend to tell them or not I can't imagine they will open on the basis that kids will be accepted freely without question. Maybe they can't go as far as asking you to sign something to declare you have travelled abroad but at the very least they will surely issue some kind of recommendation that you don't send them. There is already disquiet from teachers unions etc about risks to them.

Kids talk so it's not a matter of telling the school or not it just has to be assumed the school will know.

Are your kids mute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

faceman wrote: »
    What’s your beef with it? It sounds like you’re begrudging their behaviour. They’re not doing anything illegal or wrong.

LC students have had an incredible amount of unnecessary uncertain and stress on the back of the deplorable handling of education in Ireland

Ah the poor children. Sure weren't they terrified of getting COVID-19 if they went into school and did their exams in case they couldn't socially distance. Leave them hang around or go on hollyers without any social distancing now because they're entitled to it after all they've been through. The poor dears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭lisij

Hi, wonder if anyone can assist me here. My friend traveling from Sweden has a connection flight in Ireland, does 14 days of quarantine applies to him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement