Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

faceman wrote: »
    Do share your insight so rather than your rant. Or better yet, come visit and see what’s it’s like.

It’s insanity for any country to think they can eliminate the virus and continue down a path of restrictions where restrictions aren’t needed. Ireland is trying to adopt a 1 size fits all approach to the country. It’s not working and it’s crippling the country. Scaremongering won’t eliminate the virus either

It’s highly unlikely that there will be a day of zero infections and near impossible there will be a number of days of zero infections. The sooner people realise that the sooner countries can plan a recovery

Look what’s happening now, young people are the new focus point. What’s ireland going to do next? Impose curfew on people under 45? Close facilities that cater for young people? What do you think will happen then? The virus will just move to the next group

Testing, contact tracing, face masks and social distancing is how you manage it

Has Ireland’s testing regime changed at all? Does it still take a GP referral for a test?

very true new FF monkeys have us screwed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

I have no intention of telling my kid's school where I've been.

It's none of their business.

I find it bizzare that anyone would.

it's how it got here in the first place gimps off on school skiing holidays

GazzaL wrote: »
    Ah the poor children. Sure weren't they terrified of getting COVID-19 if they went into school and did their exams in case they couldn't socially distance. Leave them hang around or go on hollyers without any social distancing now because they're entitled to it after all they've been through. The poor dears.

Did the leaving cert students say that? If memory serves, they wanted to get back to school because of the exams.

They did 14 years ffs. You won't travel so you begrudge them

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

I’m hoping to travel to Spain next month. I have an apartment over there and I feel it’s essential travel as I haven’t been over since last Christmas. Does anyone know if my travel insurance will cover me for the trip as it’s not on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No they won’t but you will be covered for medical expenses through the EHIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

it's how it got here in the first place gimps off on school skiing holidays

Yes of course. People living and enjoying life in our formerly free world unaware that a pandemic was looming. You really sound like you have a problem with people enjoying life. "Gimps"?? WTF does that even mean?
    Whether you intend to tell them or not I can't imagine they will open on the basis that kids will be accepted freely without question. Maybe they can't go as far as asking you to sign something to declare you have travelled abroad but at the very least they will surely issue some kind of recommendation that you don't send them. There is already disquiet from teachers unions etc about risks to them.

Kids talk so it's not a matter of telling the school or not it just has to be assumed the school will know.

You are aware that we live in a free, democratic society? Why on earth would kids not be accepted freely and without question? Do you expect that they will be questioned about all their movements and that of their entire family and perhaps be expected to divulge all underlying conditions right up to the grannies and great grannies? For the umpteenth time on this and other threads the travel restrictions are an advisory only!

I'm a teacher and unionised and all I'm expecting is that my employer will provide as safe as possible a workplace and learning environment for my students. That doesn't extend to harassing my collegues, students and their families about their movements in the interim. Because their movements are absolutely no business of anybody else! And let the kids talk to their hearts content. No law against that either and god forbid that there ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I planned on staycation but then realised I can go to Budapest freely for 4 nights accommodation and flights for 2 people for 240 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

rocky1813 wrote: »
    I’m hoping to travel to Spain next month. I have an apartment over there and I feel it’s essential travel as I haven’t been over since last Christmas. Does anyone know if my travel insurance will cover me for the trip as it’s not on the green list.

Get the EHIC and you'll be fine, I've always viewed travel insurance as being a tad unnecessary within the EU in any case. The EHIC will cover you in Spanish hospitals for any acute illnesses, be it COVID or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

lisij wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone can assist me here. My friend traveling from Sweden has a connection flight in Ireland, does 14 days of quarantine applies to him?

Is he entering Ireland? If he's connecting in Ireland to another country then it's down to the policy of whatever country he's entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭lisij

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is he entering Ireland? If he's connecting in Ireland to another country then it's down to the policy of whatever country he's entering.

Only connection flight in Ireland, not leaving airport grounds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

rocky1813 wrote: »

If you have an apartment here then I’m assuming you have an NIE number? If so, head down to your local medical clinic with it, your EHIC and your passport and apply for your SIP card pronto! It’s the Spanish equivalent of a medical card and offers full medical cover, supersedes the EHIC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

An update from Spain. Keep an eye on the Irish media reporting on Spain tomorrow night.

Spain’s coronavirus daily figures are going to be massive tomorrow

However it’s not a daily figure. Spain holds a press conference Monday to Friday which means Monday’s figures are always high

However at today’s conference they advised due to a technical issue the Madrid and Catalonia numbers will be included in the Tuesday figures instead. They went on to warn Tuesday figures will be massive as a result and there is no cause for concern.

Be interesting to see how it’s reported in the Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 86,593 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The vast majority of countries on Ireland’s 'green list' have experienced a rise in Covid-19 infections since travel restrictions were lifted.

Laura Lynott reports that 13 of the 15 destinations selected by the Government on July 22 as safe to visit are now seeing the number of cases rise again

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/virus-surge-in-13-nations-on-travel-green-list-39417739

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Be interesting to see how it’s reported in the Irish media

Could I have a bet on "cases skyrocket in Spain as second wave continues", please?

If you have an apartment here then I’m assuming you have an NIE number? If so, head down to your local medical clinic with it and your passport and apply for your SIP card pronto! It’s the Spanish equivalent of a medical card and offers full medical cover, supersedes the EHIC.

Only if he has a full nie for residents. I dunno now but years ago before Spain changed its immigration policy, there was a basic nie purely for property and bills which didn't entitle the holder to medical cover or any other benefit. I assume it still exists for people with summer homes.

Only if he has a full nie for residents. I dunno now but years ago before Spain changed its immigration policy, there was a basic nie purely for property and bills which didn't entitle the holder to medical cover or any other benefit. I assume it still exists for people with summer homes.

Yeah it’s changed. The user will be given a temporary SIP card which lasts for 6 months. It can be renewed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Belfast airport will see a nice uptick in business if this goes through

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-cabinet-looks-to-tighten-travel-restrictions-and-decide-on-pubs-reopening-1.4321194
    The Department of Transport was asked by the Cabinet a fortnight ago to investigate the efficacy and potential of a system which would see passengers having to undergo Covid tests prior to their departure for Ireland.

It was envisaged the test would be taken within 24-72 hours prior to travel and proof of a negative test result would be presented to Irish immigration officials on arrival.

Under such a system, the cost of the test would be borne by the traveller rather than the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

acequion wrote: »
    For the umpteenth time on this and other threads the travel restrictions are an advisory only!

I'm a teacher and unionised and all I'm expecting is that my employer will provide as safe as possible a workplace and learning environment for my students. That doesn't extend to harassing my collegues, students and their families about their movements in the interim. Because their movements are absolutely no business of anybody else! And let the kids talk to their hearts content. No law against that either and god forbid that there ever will be.

Christ this thread really is like a broken record. For the umpteenth time nobody cares. We know it is advisory, we know its a recommendation. This information is completely irrelevant to people following this thread to answer the question "Will you travel"

The fact that schools are back in a few weeks will be a large factor for people deciding whether they will travel or not. Vast majority of people will not travel and send kids straight back into school without isolating.

Also yes I do expect them to be questioned or at the very least some kind of recommendation put out by some schools to follow HSE guidelines and restrict movements or self isolate or whatever. I highly doubt out of the 1000s of schools in the country not 1 will mention it. Either way again none of this is relevant.

Christ this thread really is like a broken record. For the umpteenth time nobody cares. We know it is advisory, we know its a recommendation. This information is completely irrelevant to people following this thread to answer the question "Will you travel"

The fact that schools are back in a few weeks will be a large factor for people deciding whether they will travel or not. Vast majority of people will not travel and send kids straight back into school without isolating.

Also yes I do expect them to be questioned or at the very least some kind of recommendation put out by some schools to follow HSE guidelines and restrict movements or self isolate or whatever. I highly doubt out of the 1000s of schools in the country not 1 will mention it. Either way again none of this is relevant.

It's probably the most important aspect when it comes to travel so yes, it's relevant.

It's very relevant when people make comments that they expect schools to question people as you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Why don't you contact your own school if you're so worried about it? They're all back already getting the buildings ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Saw a ryanair plane coming in yesterday whilst sitting on the beach (near barcelona) having a beer, whipped out flightradar app and noticed it was coming in from Dublin ...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

careful now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

An update from Spain. Keep an eye on the Irish media reporting on Spain tomorrow night.

Spain’s coronavirus daily figures are going to be massive tomorrow

Thanks for the heads up.

Is this article it ?
    Coronavirus cases in Spain jump eightfold since end of state of alarm
    In the 40 days since the emergency measure was lifted, the number of new infections has risen from 334 to 2,789

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-03/coronavirus-cases-in-spain-jump-eightfold-since-end-of-state-of-alarm.html

Or this one ?
    On Monday, the Health Ministry said it had counted 8,532 new cases since Friday, and 968 in the last 24 hours. In the 40 days since the end of the state of alarm, the number of confirmed infections has risen eightfold , jumping from 334 on June 20 to 2,789 between July 29 and 30.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-08-03/spain-reports-nearly-1000-new-daily-covid-19-cases.html

otnomart wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up.

Is this article it ?
    Coronavirus cases in Spain jump eightfold since end of state of alarm
    In the 40 days since the emergency measure was lifted, the number of new infections has risen from 334 to 2,789

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-03/coronavirus-cases-in-spain-jump-eightfold-since-end-of-state-of-alarm.html

Or this one ?
    On Monday, the Health Ministry said it had counted 8,532 new cases since Friday, and 968 in the last 24 hours. In the 40 days since the end of the state of alarm, the number of confirmed infections has risen eightfold , jumping from 334 on June 20 to 2,789 between July 29 and 30.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_news/2020-08-03/spain-reports-nearly-1000-new-daily-covid-19-cases.html

Nope. This one. You’ll need to be able to read Spanish.

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020-08-03/sanidad-da-datos-de-la-epidemia-sin-contar-los-casos-de-las-zonas-con-mas-contagios.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

They'll have to do something about the airports. Its beyond farce now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

As they add to the green list it’ll start to back to near normal, it is pretty empty but don’t worry, they won’t/can’t let it get stay like that too long.

What’s the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

What’s the issue?

They need to quarantine arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Oranage2 wrote: »

Why?

Oranage2 wrote: »

Nobody is doing that anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

bladespin wrote: »
    Why?

Because Ireland is an island and we don't have a huge population, in reality we should have be sitting at close to zero cases in May /June. But decision made by individuals and also the government like not having a quarantine has allowed this virus to trickle all the way to August and even worsen, and likely in September we'll have another lockdown.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement