Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭josip

Oranage2 wrote: »
    These countries in Europe are wide open, it's not realistic to have closed borders.

It's obvious from your above statement that you've not travelled across Europe much.

Just because countries share a land border, doesn't mean that every European goes country hopping after breakfast.
    If any country wanted to limit travel, enacting a law would be sufficient, something we've been unable to do here.

And you would be surprised how few viable road border crossings exist between countries.
    Natural river and mountain borders mean that simply closing the motorways will accomplish what needs to be done for most countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Nermal

josip wrote: »
    It's obvious from your above statement that you've not travelled across Europe much.

Just because countries share a land border, doesn't mean that every European goes country hopping after breakfast.
    If any country wanted to limit travel, enacting a law would be sufficient, something we've been unable to do here.

And you would be surprised how few viable road border crossings exist between countries.
    Natural river and mountain borders mean that simply closing the motorways will accomplish what needs to be done for most countries.

:pac:

There are parts of the Netherlands inside parts of Belgium that are themselves inside the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog#Border_with_Baarle-Nassau

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭54and56

So if someone returns today from a country which was removed from the Greenlist yesterday do they have to isolate or does the requirement to isolate only kick in if they return from next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nermal wrote: »
    :pac:

There are parts of the Netherlands inside parts of Belgium that are themselves inside the Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baarle-Hertog#Border_with_Baarle-Nassau

Details, details.
    In my experience, they're all fundamentally either French or German in Benelux anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

54and56 wrote: »
    So if someone returns today from a country which was removed from the Greenlist yesterday do they have to isolate or does the requirement to isolate only kick in if they return from next Monday?

Nice week in San Marino?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

It's hilarious watching other people be rude to those that are travelling.

Our citizens don't have a clue how much of a mockery the government are making of them. Telling them they advise them to stay home but if they wanna go, we won't stop you :V

Putting the fear of god into people acting like if they went to Spain or anywhere else in Europe this year, their whole family will get covid and die

Yet tourists have been coming to Spain since the start of June and there has been absolutely no spike whatsoever in Tourist areas.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Nice week in San Marino?

I wish. Never been. Sounds nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I believe the isolation applies on anyone landing after the revised green list is produced, i.e green list at the time of your arrival to ireland applies. The current list is the one produced last night so applies from now on until a new list is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

It's hilarious watching other people be rude to those that are travelling.

Our citizens don't have a clue how much of a mockery the government are making of them. Telling them they advise them to stay home but if they wanna go, we won't stop you :V

Putting the fear of god into people acting like if they went to Spain or anywhere else in Europe this year, their whole family will get covid and die

Yet tourists have been coming to Spain since the start of June and there has been absolutely no spike whatsoever in Tourist areas.

There's been a small increase in Spain since the start of July:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Spain has 5 times the number of new cases on a per capita basis compared to Ireland. We are trending up but that's a big difference.

There's regional differences etc. There are no internal travel restrictions in Spain though. If there are cases in an area they are perfectly entitled to go to another area if on holiday etc.

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov-China/documentos/Actualizacion_177_COVID-19.pdf

522132.jpg
    What website do you use to produce this graphs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

AdamD wrote: »
    What website do you use to produce this graphs?

For the grey lines, you just need a couple of 3 year olds.

accensi0n wrote: »
    There's been a small increase in Spain since the start of July:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/

I know, and and increase in Northern region Catalonia rather than any tourist hotspots.

Absolutely no spike in any of the major tourist areas.

Extremely safe here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

I know, and and increase in Northern region Catalonia rather than any tourist hotspots.

Absolutely no spike in any of the major tourist areas.

Extremely safe here.

i said it before, we felt safer there than here as a family

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

In the airport here now, its brilliant having no q for anything. Table service in the food court too, can't beat it

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Actually I stand corrected, it does appear the new green list is live from Monday. Seems bizarre but there you are!

Minier81 wrote: »
    Actually I stand corrected, it does appear the new green list is live from Monday. Seems bizarre but there you are!

The reason I asked is someone I was discussing/debating with said there was a travel agent "on the radio" this morning who said anyone currently in a previously Greenlisted country could avoid having to isolate if they arrived home on or before Sunday. In my (seemingly) misplaced wisdom I asserted Greenlist changes are and have to be effective immediately as in you can't say on a Tuesday that X country will be safe for the next 5 days and then unsafe thereafter until reviewed again in two weeks time but it appears from what she said and what you are now saying that that is in fact the case!!

Can you link to where the govt set out that timetable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm back in Spain tonight.:)

This is my second trip here this summer and as I explained in an earlier post I have a place here and loved ones here and being able to come here regularly is a hugely important part of my life.

Equally importantly is being able to fly direct from Kerry and being able to bring my elderly mum with me sometimes. Walking out the door of my home in Kerry and walking in the door of my home here in the south of Spain a mere few hours later is something I have never taken for granted and always marvelled at.

All in jeopardy now though. There were 9 on today's flight. 9!!!! All paid for by the many who had booked all those empty seats but had to cancel them. But what of the future? Will Kerry and other small airports stay afloat? I'm just so disappointed by the ott over cautious attitude of the new Govt. Whatever happened to flatten the curve? Did we not do that months ago and is it not enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 galaxual

just back from 2 weeks in tenerife.
    had an amazing time. the airport was the best flying experience I've ever had and I felt very safe over there. happy I went :)

acequion wrote: »
    I'm back in Spain tonight.:)

This is my second trip here this summer and as I explained in an earlier post I have a place here and loved ones here and being able to come here regularly is a hugely important part of my life.

Equally importantly is being able to fly direct from Kerry and being able to bring my elderly mum with me sometimes. Walking out the door of my home in Kerry and walking in the door of my home here in the south of Spain a mere few hours later is something I have never taken for granted and always marvelled at.

All in jeopardy now though. There were 9 on today's flight. 9!!!! All paid for by the many who had booked all those empty seats but had to cancel them. But what of the future? Will Kerry and other small airports stay afloat? I'm just so disappointed by the ott over cautious attitude of the new Govt. Whatever happened to flatten the curve? Did we not do that months ago and is it not enough?

I completely agree with that last paragraph. I was sitting in the pool today looking around at all the families, in the pool, having fun, sunbathing, etc.

It's been two entire months since Spain reopened the country.. two entire months... and there has not been a significant/worrying spike in cases. Come on Ireland.. Get over it and start opening the country fully.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Germany was 6.5 a few weeks ago and is now 11. not sure that it is in the second wave category but there have been some increases as economies open up.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Note also that Spain’s increases are concentrated to a number of regions and importantly also include the results of antibody tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

acequion wrote: »

All in jeopardy now though. There were 9 on today's flight. 9!!!! All paid for by the many who had booked all those empty seats but had to cancel them. But what of the future? Will Kerry and other small airports stay afloat?

There are discussions in the Aviation forum about the future of regional airports.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114220981&postcount=2191

It could be that they would go back to having only feeder flights to London.

You also have to bear in mind that flights have to be filled on the other end as well, and at the moment I doubt there is much demand in Continental Europe to fly to Ireland (even if there was no quarantine).

Ireland was a very popular destination with Continental Europeans, but this year most of them are doing Staycations in their own Countries - or driving to neighboring Countries, avoiding planes and trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Meant to be flying next week from London back to Ireland for a visit and feeling increasingly nervous. I'd been reassured by some stuff I'd read here but I just do not trust the British to follow the rules on masks and distancing. I took a train journey this week and it was stressful and horrible - woman sitting near me with no mask on continuously sneezing and shouting into her phone and I couldn't move because I didn't want to leave my bike (and the rest of the train wasn't much better).

I can't find much info on the risk of getting covid at the airport or on a flight. I'll be wearing the best mask I own (four layers, very thick material one) but not sure what it will do if there are people coughing or sneezing on the flight. I'll be seeing family over there too, which increases the stress, as I don't want to risk them getting sick. Looks like we're heading for a second wave in the autumn so trying to make the most of this brief window to see loved ones, but absolutely petrified and unsure what to do :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Germany was 6.5 a few weeks ago and is now 11. not sure that it is in the second wave category but there have been some increases as economies open up.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Note also that Spain’s increases are concentrated to a number of regions and importantly also include the results of antibody tests.

The Spanish media are concerned about the antibody testing as they believe the numbers are artificially higher due to closed cases included as part of antibody testing

A new system is being rolled out apparently over the next week that will exclude closed cases from the dailies

There is really only 1 region of concern in Spain, Aragón. It’s not a tourist area as far as Paddies are concerned. There’s a lot of dense housing and low income neighbourhoods. If it doesn’t stabilise we can expect strict lockdowns there.

Despite what the media is saying, particularly that thrashy article in the IT, Catalonia is stable and under control. Looking at the 7 day per 100k alongside the 14 day and numbers have come down by half.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Meant to be flying next week from London back to Ireland for a visit and feeling increasingly nervous. I'd been reassured by some stuff I'd read here but I just do not trust the British to follow the rules on masks and distancing. I took a train journey this week and it was stressful and horrible - woman sitting near me with no mask on continuously sneezing and shouting into her phone and I couldn't move because I didn't want to leave my bike (and the rest of the train wasn't much better).

I can't find much info on the risk of getting covid at the airport or on a flight. I'll be wearing the best mask I own (four layers, very thick material one) but not sure what it will do if there are people coughing or sneezing on the flight. I'll be seeing family over there too, which increases the stress, as I don't want to risk them getting sick. Looks like we're heading for a second wave in the autumn so trying to make the most of this brief window to see loved ones, but absolutely petrified and unsure what to do :(

Regarding flights, I’m amazing how there is so much panic over them despite evidence out there. Firstly, RELAX! It’s not as bad as you think

Commercial flights are considered risky but lower risk than pubs. Add in that people have to wear masks on a flight and the risk reduces even more. Air filtration on flights is HEPA standard, the same system used in hospitals. Airlines have changed hygiene practices to improve cleanliness.

Wear your mask, bring some hygiene wipes and you’ll be fine.

The public needs to realise, cabin crew haven’t all been dropping from catching the virus and they’re more at risk than anyone else!

Same goes for supermarket and shop staff, restaurant staff etc.

There’s been a couple of people in this thread saying how they’ve been flouting mask rules on flights by sipping on their drink for the duration. No question about it, those people are scum.

faceman wrote: »
    Regarding flights, I’m amazing how there is so much panic over them despite evidence out there. Firstly, RELAX! It’s not as bad as you think

Commercial flights are considered risky but lower risk than pubs. Add in that people have to wear masks on a flight and the risk reduces even more. Air filtration on flights is HEPA standard, the same system used in hospitals. Airlines have changed hygiene practices to improve cleanliness.

Wear your mask, bring some hygiene wipes and you’ll be fine.

The public needs to realise, cabin crew haven’t all been dropping from catching the virus and they’re more at risk than anyone else!

Same goes for supermarket and shop staff, restaurant staff etc.

There’s been a couple of people in this thread saying how they’ve been flouting mask rules on flights by sipping on their drink for the duration. No question about it, those people are scum.

I'm pretty reassured by what the airlines are doing, it's the other passengers I'm concerned about. I've seen so much selfishness over the past few weeks that I'm not surprised people are doing things like sipping drinks for an hour to avoid putting a mask on, and that obviously raises the risk for everyone. I have no doubt that I'll end up next to someone either refusing to wear a mask or flouting the rules and that will be hugely stressful, with a week or two of worrying about making my family sick after it.

You're right re the cabin crew etc. - perhaps the risk isn't as high as I think, although I wouldn't dream of going into a pub or even a shop at the moment. The only reason I was on a train the other day was that my bike got a puncture and I couldn't ride home.

What are people doing about having to touch surfaces like seatbelt buckles? Just sanitising hands afterwards? Is there any value in showering/washing hair once I get there? I'm a bit icky about having my head touching the headrest and then going to bed....is that an overreaction or would others also want to shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

London flight is no more than 1 hour on the plane, may even be plenty of empty seats around you.
    So the chances of people coughing and sneezing into your face are quite low I'd say.
    I've done almost 10 hours of flights recently, Ferry, Bus, Taxi etc. too And i'm still alive.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    London flight is no more than 1 hour on the plane, may even be plenty of empty seats around you.
    So the chances of people coughing and sneezing into your face are quite low I'd say.
    I've done almost 10 hours of flights recently, Ferry, Bus, Taxi etc. too And i'm still alive.

I read it was best to go for a window seat to minimise contact with people walking down the aisle and in surrounding seats, but that also makes it harder to move seats if you spot empty ones. What would be best would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

Minier81 wrote: »

Just wondering where this info is from? Currently in Malta, flying home on Sunday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I read it was best to go for a window seat to minimise contact with people walking down the aisle and in surrounding seats, but that also makes it harder to move seats if you spot empty ones. What would be best would you say?

Not much movement in the cabin, no queuing for the toilets, I had two aisle seats on two flights and one row to myself on another flight. Also brought carry on luggage.
    But yes, Covid or not if i'm sat in a row with 1 or 2 others and there's a free seat when boarding is complete I will jump to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement