Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Just wondering where this info is from? Currently in Malta, flying home on Sunday...
    front page of department of foreign affairs website:
    https://www.dfa.ie/

random statelets which you cannot get to anyhow are also off the list, either through the numbers excluding them or a sudden dose of cop on that only billionaire tax exiles (friends of the politicans?, people who already had a massive tax break from the Irish government to be allowed to come back to Ireland temporarily to ride out the pandemic) were in a position to travel to and from the likes of Monaco and Gibraltar directly on their private jets, and their inclusion was a joke to start with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Minier81 wrote: »
    Actually I stand corrected, it does appear the new green list is live from Monday. Seems bizarre but there you are!

It’s not, it’s live as of August 4 according to the Dept of Foreign Affairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They can change that overnight though (They have previous for such things)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭54and56

I can't see anything on https://www.dfa.ie/ which states that the Greenlist changes announced on Tuesday August 4th only come into effect Monday August 10th.

Would you mind quoting / copy pasting the section you are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

No I was referring to the statement that if you return before Sunday that it doesn’t apply, rather than Malta being removed from the green list.

We’re taking strong social distancing measures here, staying in a resort with not too many people, mainly outdoors, not in bars or crowded places, masks on in taxis etc.

And from my experience at the airport and on the plane I was confident in the measures being applied there.

So nothing’s changed for us really but now this rule has changed.....

• Advertisement

random statelets which you cannot get to anyhow are also off the list, either through the numbers excluding them or a sudden dose of cop on that only billionaire tax exiles (friends of the politicans?, people who already had a massive tax break from the Irish government to be allowed to come back to Ireland temporarily to ride out the pandemic) were in a position to travel to and from the likes of Monaco and Gibraltar directly on their private jets, and their inclusion was a joke to start with.

The list has nothing to do with travel viability. It's a list of safe destinations based on numbers. That's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

AdamD wrote: »
    What website do you use to produce this graphs?

Financial Times. I like the 7 day rolling average as it smooths out spikes in reporting and any day of week effects.

https://www.ft.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm pretty reassured by what the airlines are doing, it's the other passengers I'm concerned about. I've seen so much selfishness over the past few weeks that I'm not surprised people are doing things like sipping drinks for an hour to avoid putting a mask on, and that obviously raises the risk for everyone. I have no doubt that I'll end up next to someone either refusing to wear a mask or flouting the rules and that will be hugely stressful, with a week or two of worrying about making my family sick after it.

You're right re the cabin crew etc. - perhaps the risk isn't as high as I think, although I wouldn't dream of going into a pub or even a shop at the moment. The only reason I was on a train the other day was that my bike got a puncture and I couldn't ride home.

What are people doing about having to touch surfaces like seatbelt buckles? Just sanitising hands afterwards? Is there any value in showering/washing hair once I get there? I'm a bit icky about having my head touching the headrest and then going to bed....is that an overreaction or would others also want to shower?

I wouldn’t dare tell you how to live your life nor patronise you by saying “it’ll be grand” given you are anxious about it

It does seem like you are leaning on the side of over cautious. Ultimately the risks are low. In the unlikely event that the headrest or belt buckle was riddled with the virus, realistically how potent is it going to be?

I assuming you’re not going to be ingesting your hair afterward or touching your hair and putting your hands in your mouth after. :)

I always shower after flights where possible as flying feels gross so nothing wrong with that.

I’m no doctor no way medically affiliated. I have lived in sub Saharan Africa which included some epic rural visits where risk of disease and infection was rampant. Basic hygiene kept me safe and healthy.

Not trying to devalue your feelings nor change your mind. Risk of infection is very low particularly if you are hygiene and health conscious. Plus it’s a short flight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

I hope this is the case.Gov.ie also does not give any date,and I assumed that meant immediate effect
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8868e-view-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

But then I came across an indo article saying from monday 10th
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/scramble-for-alternative-flights-home-for-irish-tourists-in-cyprus-and-malta-after-both-countries-removed-from-governments-green-list-39426528.html

No idea how reliable the indo is a reference. Its seems crazy that any list is not with immediate effect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I hope this is the case.Gov.ie also does not give any date,and I assumed that meant immediate effect

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/scramble-for-alternative-flights-home-for-irish-tourists-in-cyprus-and-malta-after-both-countries-removed-from-governments-green-list-39426528.html

No idea how reliable the indo is a reference. Its seems crazy that any list is not with immediate effect

Have you seen the shambles that is now running the Govt in all areas. Anything is possible

The fact the Govt have not even clarified this is madness enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not much movement in the cabin, no queuing for the toilets, I had two aisle seats on two flights and one row to myself on another flight. Also brought carry on luggage.
    But yes, Covid or not if i'm sat in a row with 1 or 2 others and there's a free seat when boarding is complete I will jump to it.

Same :D

Always got aisle seats pre-covid for the chance to move into an empty row if possible. I'm guessing the overhead lockers are also pretty empty at the minute and no issues with space for your bag?

What's the story with food/drink? Can people eat and drink as normal if they want to? How does the toilet situation work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

faceman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t dare tell you how to live your life nor patronise you by saying “it’ll be grand” given you are anxious about it

It does seem like you are leaning on the side of over cautious. Ultimately the risks are low. In the unlikely event that the headrest or belt buckle was riddled with the virus, realistically how potent is it going to be?

I assuming you’re not going to be ingesting your hair afterward or touching your hair and putting your hands in your mouth after. :)

I always shower after flights where possible as flying feels gross so nothing wrong with that.

I’m no doctor no way medically affiliated. I have lived in sub Saharan Africa which included some epic rural visits where risk of disease and infection was rampant. Basic hygiene kept me safe and healthy.

Not trying to devalue your feelings nor change your mind. Risk of infection is very low particularly if you are hygiene and health conscious. Plus it’s a short flight. :)

Yep, I am definitely over cautious, particularly as I'd be worried about giving it to others...feels like a lot of responsibility.

I can change the dates for free up to check in so will leave it another day or two before I decide if I'm going next week or not, but what I've read so far is quite reassuring. I've pretty much stayed in my flat since March bar venturing out over the last couple of weeks to meet friends outdoors and go camping, so even the idea of touching the security trays, seatbelts and all that is a bit scary, but I'll have to just use gel every time I do touch anything, try not to touch my face and wash my hands properly with soap once I get to my destination...all I can really do.

How does passport control and all that work with masks? Do you just pull it down for the facial recognition camera thing/person to see you and keep it on the rest of the time you're in the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

faceman wrote: »
    There’s been a couple of people in this thread saying how they’ve been flouting mask rules on flights by sipping on their drink for the duration. No question about it, those people are scum.
    Agreed.
    And it because of those people that Ryanair might soon be banned from flying to Italy.
    Italy's civil aviation authority ENAC threatened to suspend Ryanair's permit to fly to the country citing non-compliance with COVID-19 safety rules.
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/08/05/italy-threatens-ryanair-with-flight-ban-over-covid-19-safety-rules

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Always got aisle seats pre-covid for the chance to move into an empty row if possible. I'm guessing the overhead lockers are also pretty empty at the minute and no issues with space for your bag?
    What's the story with food/drink? Can people eat and drink as normal if they want to? How does the toilet situation work?

Had no issue getting space for the bag in the overhead lockers, though one airport security had specified no carry on bags so I checked it in for free with Ryanair.
    Going to London i'd say most people bring a carry-on, though the flights I can't imagine will be even close to full so won't be an issue.

Food and drink served, just stick your mask under the chin. Though on a short flight no one really bothers. No coffee / hot drinks from what I can remember though.

Only rule with the loo's is no queuing, just have to wait... again though on a short flight that's never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks for clarifying Minier81.

I think the journalist Ellen Coyne made a mistake when researching / preparing the article as I can't see any reference anywhere else, either unofficial like this Independent article or official from DFA or any of the myriad of Govt communication channels, that the effect of the Greenlist changes announced on August 4th are in anyway delayed and in the absence of such the changes have to be taken as being with immediate effect.

The Independent article seems to be a complete outlier. It would be nice if the Independent corrected the article but can't see any reason for the Govt to do so unless the article generated serious confusion nationwide and was consuming a lot of air time which it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

looking at getting a domestic flight in the country that I’m in, for the next 3 days, 30 out of 33 flights are full in business and restricted economy, the route is flown by A320/B777 and B787 aircraft.

So people appear to be getting more relaxed about flying as a month ago these flights were empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

smurfjed wrote: »
    looking at getting a domestic flight in the country that I’m in, for the next 3 days, 30 out of 33 flights are full in business and restricted economy, the route is flown by A320/B777 and B787 aircraft.

So people appear to be getting more relaxed about flying as a month ago these flights were empty.

Yes and rightly so.

Planes are completely safe. More safe than heading down to your local without a mask for food and a couple of drinks anyway.

The likelihood of catching the virus in ireland is very slim right now regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭combat14

latest research from US doesnt bode well for the Govt's 'Schools Experiment'

Covid-19 may spread more easily in schools than thought, US report warns

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/covid-19-may-spread-more-easily-in-schools-than-thought-us-report-warns-1.4323634?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I've never been on unemployment benefits/social welfare myself so I don't know, but that story about people's benefits being cut - including people with foreign passports - for travelling, what I don't understand is how did the department even find that out? I believe whenever your passport gets scanned that gets added to some registry, but how would they know by your passport that you are receiving social benefits?

My only guess is that you would need to provide and register your passport with Employment Affairs in order to receive the benefits in the first place? But that wouldn't make sense as there are loads of social welfare recipients without passports.

Unless there is something I'm missing, this smells like some kind of China-state level secret monitoring going on at the airport people don't know about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Just for anyone who may want an update on recent flying.. flew to Balearics this week, airport very quiet, plane had 60 or so on board. No one within 3 rows of us either way. It’s lovely here, so relaxed compared to home in lots of way, no yellow Covid signs in your face everywhere. People are acting sensibly, masks on when in stores and some people wear them on the street but it’s probably 50%. It feels a bit like off season, not very busy but everything is open and weather is beautiful. Lots of Germans,Dutch about not many UK or Irish as far as I can see. I know I’m posting on an Irish website at the moment, but a few days away from the doom and gloom at home is just so nice, I felt that was worth sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

The_Brood wrote: »
    I've never been on unemployment benefits/social welfare myself so I don't know, but that story about people's benefits being cut - including people with foreign passports - for travelling, what I don't understand is how did the department even find that out? I believe whenever your passport gets scanned that gets added to some registry, but how would they know by your passport that you are receiving social benefits?

My only guess is that you would need to provide and register your passport with Employment Affairs in order to receive the benefits in the first place? But that wouldn't make sense as there are loads of social welfare recipients without passports.

Unless there is something I'm missing, this smells like some kind of China-state level secret monitoring going on at the airport people don't know about...
    They asked them for their names and PPS numbers.

bladespin wrote: »
    They asked them for their names and PPS numbers.

I've never once been asked for my PPS number at the airport, and I've traveled a lot. Is this like random checks?

I've never once been asked for my PPS number at the airport, and I've traveled a lot. Is this like random checks?

Well covered in earlier posts but, yes, some people from the dept of social protection (think that's what it's called now) showed up at the airport accompanied by gardai and went around asking for details, very underhand as you don't 'have' to answer them but they weren't telling them that.

bladespin wrote: »
    Well covered in earlier posts but, yes, some people from the dept of social protection (think that's what it's called now) showed up at the airport accompanied by gardai and went around asking for details, very underhand as you don't 'have' to answer them but they weren't telling them that.

That's crazy. How do they get away with that? So basically they try to scare you into giving them information, but if anyone tries to sue them, they will answer that you were not required to comply with that...?

Madness.

That's crazy. How do they get away with that? So basically they try to scare you into giving them information, but if anyone tries to sue them, they will answer that you were not required to comply with that...?

Madness.

Well, they did and they didn't, backfired massively leaving a very red faced minister, who's ever idea it was wouldn't be very well liked now, in a way it did turn public opinion as well, the majority of anti air travel nonsense that had been put about on FB etc, dried up once they had proper cause etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Just for anyone who may want an update on recent flying.. flew to Balearics this week, airport very quiet, plane had 60 or so on board. No one within 3 rows of us either way. It’s lovely here, so relaxed compared to home in lots of way, no yellow Covid signs in your face everywhere. People are acting sensibly, masks on when in stores and some people wear them on the street but it’s probably 50%. It feels a bit like off season, not very busy but everything is open and weather is beautiful. Lots of Germans,Dutch about not many UK or Irish as far as I can see. I know I’m posting on an Irish website at the moment, but a few days away from the doom and gloom at home is just so nice, I felt that was worth sharing.

Enjoy, sounds lovely. I'm off to southern Germany for a week on Saturday and can't wait to relax in the lovely outdoor biergarten, do some hikes in the mountains, swim in the lake etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

combat14 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/covid-19-may-spread-more-easily-in-schools-than-thought-us-report-warns-1.4323634?mode=amp

Well to be fair, when you see photos like this is it any wonder?

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1290626349426671617?s=20

The number of studies that say transmission from children is low risk outnumber the contrasting studies. Makes you wonder what the delta between them is.

combat14 wrote: »

Well in fairness, with scenes like this is it any wonder?

https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1290626349426671617?s=20

The number of studies showing risk is low in schools outnumber the contrast. Makes you wonder what the delta is between them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Same :D

I also don't want to patronise you or disrespect your concern but I really do think you need to stop over thinking and worrying so much. Any of us could be unlucky enough to catch this virus but if we all adhere to the regulations and keep our distance, the chances are slim. And no point feeling guilty about passing it on if you're doing your very best.

I've taken three flights since July 10th so I'll try to answer your questions.

Firstly, I saw no obnoxious person refusing to mask up on any of the flights. Secondly, all planes are travelling with loads of empty seats and for each of my three flights I was able to change seat no problem to give myself maximum distance and saw others do the same. Most likely you'll have the row to yourself.

As for sanitation, I bring my own and sanitise the hands a few times during the flight. I actually didn't bother eating or drinking except for a few sips of water,at the moment it's not worth it on a short flight. Just sit back, relax, read and do whatever you normally do and keep your mask on. Bring some wipes with you if wiping down seats makes you feel better. No body is allowed move around freely on the plane or even stand up. If you need to use the bathroom you call the steward from the call button over your head. Again lots hand washing and use tissues /paper towels to touch any surfaces eg toilet door handle.

Passport control is no problem. In Alicante the passport goes into one of the new machines and you take off the mask momentarily to enable an accurate shot. In my experience all airport personnel are pleasant and efficient and just getting on with it.

As others have advised, keep your mask on, keep your distance, keep sanistising the hands and you'll be ok. There are always obnoxious people around but they are very much in the minority.

Good luck and enjoy the break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Madness.

Random checking at airports, yes it is madness.

However they are only checking one or two out of a few thousand :V

Was at the airport last week and not a sign of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement