Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

acequion wrote: »
    As for sanitation, I bring my own and sanitise the hands a few times during the flight.

Just to note if someone brings their own bottle(s) of hand sanitizer in the carry-on bag then you don't have to put them into the single clear liquids bag when you go through security check, just leave them out in the tray and the staff will test them separately for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Yep, I am definitely over cautious, particularly as I'd be worried about giving it to others...feels like a lot of responsibility.

I can change the dates for free up to check in so will leave it another day or two before I decide if I'm going next week or not, but what I've read so far is quite reassuring. I've pretty much stayed in my flat since March bar venturing out over the last couple of weeks to meet friends outdoors and go camping, so even the idea of touching the security trays, seatbelts and all that is a bit scary, but I'll have to just use gel every time I do touch anything, try not to touch my face and wash my hands properly with soap once I get to my destination...all I can really do.

How does passport control and all that work with masks? Do you just pull it down for the facial recognition camera thing/person to see you and keep it on the rest of the time you're in the airport?

Yeah , I pulled my mask down for 2 seconds at passport control. In Malaga airport no passport machines were open, it was all the normal police at the passport control points.

Random checking at airports, yes it is madness.
    However they are only checking one or two out of a few thousand :V
    Was at the airport last week and not a sign of them.

Just watch out for the "ATM card inspectors" if they ask to see your card and say they need to test it with your PIN while you wait "over there" then don't trust them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just watch out for the "ATM card inspectors" if they ask to see your card and say they need to test it with your PIN while you wait "over there" then don't trust them!!

:pac:

I'm not usually one to believe that crap about social welfare inspectors at the airport either, but I did actually see a photo of one. I believe they have now done a u-turn after the uproar on social media over it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just to note if someone brings their own bottle(s) of hand sanitizer in the carry-on bag then you don't have to put them into the single clear liquids bag when you go through security check, just leave them out in the tray and the staff will test them separately for you.

Do they clean the trays? I've heard they are quite dirty. I guess normal precautions like not touching your face help.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/airport-security-trays-carry-more-germs-than-toilets-study-finds/
    Airport security trays carry more germs than toilets, study finds

"We found the highest frequency of respiratory viruses on plastic trays used in security check areas
    for depositing hand-carried luggage and personal items,"
    the scientists wrote.

"These boxes typically cycle with high frequency to subsequent passengers,
    and are typically seized with a wide palm surface area and strong grip."
    Additionally, plastic security trays are made of non-porous materials, allowing viruses to live longer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

:pac:

I'm not usually one to believe that crap about social welfare inspectors at the airport either, but I did actually see a photo of one. I believe they have now done a u-turn after the uproar on social media over it though.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0726/1155630-pup-airport-checks/

Where have you been hiding for the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Do they clean the trays? I've heard they are quite dirty. I guess normal precautions like not touching your face help.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/airport-security-trays-carry-more-germs-than-toilets-study-finds/

Think how many people touch them on a given day :( I never liked touching them at the best of times, and always washed my hands after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Think how many people touch them on a given day :( I never liked touching them at the best of times, and always washed my hands after.

I'd suggest bringing a pack of anti bacterial wipes, no harm anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

Meant to be flying next week from London back to Ireland for a visit and feeling increasingly nervous. I'd been reassured by some stuff I'd read here but I just do not trust the British to follow the rules on masks and distancing. I took a train journey this week and it was stressful and horrible - woman sitting near me with no mask on continuously sneezing and shouting into her phone and I couldn't move because I didn't want to leave my bike (and the rest of the train wasn't much better).

I can't find much info on the risk of getting covid at the airport or on a flight. I'll be wearing the best mask I own (four layers, very thick material one) but not sure what it will do if there are people coughing or sneezing on the flight. I'll be seeing family over there too, which increases the stress, as I don't want to risk them getting sick. Looks like we're heading for a second wave in the autumn so trying to make the most of this brief window to see loved ones, but absolutely petrified and unsure what to do :(

I’m in a very similar position to yourself except flying from Dublin to London. I was all set to go but I have somewhat let people influence my decision and am now very much on the fence.

To be honest I know I’m being a bit ridiculous, I have been out and about and am probably as likely to catch it here as there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bladespin wrote: »
    I'd suggest bringing a pack of anti bacterial wipes, no harm anyway.
    definitely the thing to kill a deadly virus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Off to France tomorrow, the couple of bits of admin I had to do was a bit of a pain (no printer) as I would rather complete prior to sitting in the airport writing it up. Otherwise it will be good to get away.
    Looking forward to see what the airport feels like, I will assume quiet as the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Much like the Nigerian Prince Inspectors to see can they trust you.

Well, the security check had a LOT of trays... and I believe the used ones are carted off to be cleaned down.
    So the chances of you getting the virus off it are probably the same as being hit by lightening...
    I mean not to mention the fact that there's a fraction of the amount of people going through airports so chances of picking up a contaminated tray again would be negligible.

You will have the mask on so face touching isn't an issue, and there's loads of sanitizer points around the airports or you will carry your own.

Stick a €9 WH Smith sandwich into your pocket, same thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's do the job, little bit of disinfectant and IPA, what do you think kills it???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Looks like the Irish government is hinting at possible lockdowns on the horizon in the media today. Time to get to sunnier shores!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

GDK_11 wrote: »
    I’m in a very similar position to yourself except flying from Dublin to London. I was all set to go but I have somewhat let people influence my decision and am now very much on the fence.

To be honest I know I’m being a bit ridiculous, I have been out and about and am probably as likely to catch it here as there.

What's the purpose of the trip? If it's just for a change of scenery or a holiday, I wouldn't think it was worth the hassle. In my case I'm visiting family back home as I'm worried about another lockdown/huge second wave and not getting to see them at all in 2020.

faceman wrote: »
    Looks like the Irish government is hinting at possible lockdowns on the horizon in the media today. Time to get to sunnier shores!

Where do you see this? I’ve been listening to the radio all day while I have been working and have no heard anything. Nor in the Indo or the IT

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

Hi all, does anyone know or can you advise if for contact tracing purposes, you must be in the country for the full two weeks? I live in the UK and haven't been home for 8 months, and worried as things approach winter that going home will be impossible. Can I fly home, be picked up by a relative (so no contact with public) and then stay in my family home for 4-5 days before travelling back to the airport (again, a lift so no transport) and then fly back to the UK? I would not be leaving the house or going out in public, but I do want to see my parents. If I stayed 5 days, and was then contacted on day 6 (when I am back in the UK) will this be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Went to spain a few weeks ago... just finished my isolation here at home. Had my mother up to see me and the fam... had to go for essential reasons to spain.... I can honestly say the only folks that didnt give a **** about the virus were teens from ireland on there way to Amsterdam. No mask nothing. Tried jump in behind the barriers for a drink in the airport bar...

Anyways went to spain. Whole airport was sealed off from the public. You dont have a ticket you ain't getting in.. also no mask no admission either..

Point I'm saying is I felt safer there than I do here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What's the purpose of the trip? If it's just for a change of scenery or a holiday, I wouldn't think it was worth the hassle. In my case I'm visiting family back home as I'm worried about another lockdown/huge second wave and not getting to see them at all in 2020.

What hassle? What lockdown? What second wave?

Hi all, does anyone know or can you advise if for contact tracing purposes, you must be in the country for the full two weeks? I live in the UK and haven't been home for 8 months, and worried as things approach winter that going home will be impossible. Can I fly home, be picked up by a relative (so no contact with public) and then stay in my family home for 4-5 days before travelling back to the airport (again, a lift so no transport) and then fly back to the UK? I would not be leaving the house or going out in public, but I do want to see my parents. If I stayed 5 days, and was then contacted on day 6 (when I am back in the UK) will this be a problem?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/#restricted-movement

"While you are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List, you do not need to remain in the country for 14 days."

I think you should be fine.

GDK_11 wrote: »

Airports seems to be pretty safe at the moment from what I experienced. Everyone wearing a mask and social distancing being followed. Go ahead while its still the summer and get out of here for a bit. You'll be kicking yourself in a few months when we are in the middle of a 2nd wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cottonsocks

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/#restricted-movement

"While you are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List, you do not need to remain in the country for 14 days."

I think you should be fine.

Perfect thanks a million! Hadn't seen this myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

We are in identical situations but travelling opposite directions.

99% of my family are based in London, I would normally go home 3/4 times a year and have not been since November. It feels like this is will be as good as it gets for a while so if I don’t go now it could be next year.

Such a tough one, I’m not overly worried about myself but I do have a young child and elderly grandparents, i think that’s my biggest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Given that I've gleaned a lot of info from this thread I felt it only fair that I record my travel experience here.

Having lost patience with the government blaming everyone we decided we weren't about to say goodbye to our €3200 (which translates to actual earnings of €5500) due to curtain twitching and we went to France as planned. We managed to get changed from Catalonia as it had stated to get a bit dodgy there.

For our sanity pre-travel I booked short term parking at Dublin Airport (€50pw instead of €32 at Quickpark) as this meant we didn't have to use the bus from the car park to the terminal.

The terminal was quiet (but not dead) but spotless. Baggage drop and security were quick and painless. Our coffees were served non-contact in a well spaced out restaurant. The chairs at the gate are also set apart with some closed off. Before we boarded (which was earlier than scheduled) I had to go back to WH-Smith and was extremely impressed to see DAA staff dressed in full PPE spray-disinfecting a recently emptied boarding gate area.

We had upgraded our seats to front ones to avoid too many people but it wasn't a problem as the flight only had about 50 on it anyway. Masks were mandatory on the (spotless) plane as they had been in the (also spotless) airport building.

The flight was pleasant as was landing in Biarritz where I was surprised our passenger locator form wasn't taken.

Passport control and suitcase collection was quick as was (pre-sanitised) car hire, which ended in a nice upgrade.

Check-in at the campsite was non-contact and quick and our reps wore masks at all times.

Masks in shops were also mandatory - no 'I have a breathing problem' excptions. The hand sanitisers at the entrances were 1m high foot pedal operated posts, rather than the €1.50 Dealz bottles here that everyone has had their maulers on.

The locals were happy so see us and take our cash as, like others have said about Spain, they are going about their business and not being forced to live in fear and anxiety by their government, who have taken a 'be on your guard but don't live in fear' handle. Many other responsible European tourists also having a nice holiday and appeared to be refraining from licking each other and brigning certain death home with them.

The social distancing in France is the WHO recommended 1m. Took a second or two to get used yo.

The only place we were uncomfortable was the resort swimming pool but it was full of kids ion their holidays doing what kids do on ther holidays - playing! We simply avoided the pool after that and walked the pleasant 1km to the beach along a wide footpath shared with bicycles. There was plenty of free parking there too. No markings on the beach as in Spain but it was never particularly full anyway so it wasn't an issue. Regular police tannoy announcements gave reminders (Police station at the beach) which were clearly being listened to.

Restaurants all good and safe. The waitress on our last night (resort restaurant) asked us why there were so few Irish this year, as ordinarily the resort was very popular with the Irish. We told her why. She seemed genuinely surprised and said her colleagues had come to the conclusion we must be riddled with Covid. As I said, they don't live and breathe what some random public servant 'Legend' preaches on a daily basis so they had no reason, other than searching, to know.

I was glad we went as it was lovely to get away from the misery and depression of this place for a while and get on with some sort of normality. And it was nice to see other nations getting on safely with the new normality.

This post is not to antagonise anyone and I won't be engaging in debate around the rights and wrongs of it but if anyone reads it who is having second thoughts about holidaying a French campsite then maybe it'll help allay any fears they may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Given that I've gleaned a lot of info from this thread I felt it only fair that I record my travel experience here.

Having lost patience with the government blaming everyone we decided we weren't about to say goodbye to our €3200 (which translates to actual earnings of €5500) due to curtain twitching and we went to France as planned. We managed to get changed from Catalonia as it had stated to get a bit dodgy there.

For our sanity pre-travel I booked short term parking at Dublin Airport (€50pw instead of €32 at Quickpark) as this meant we didn't have to use the bus from the car park to the terminal.

The terminal was quiet (but not dead) but spotless. Baggage drop and security were quick and painless. Our coffees were served non-contact in a well spaced out restaurant. The chairs at the gate are also set apart with some closed off. Before we boarded (which was earlier than scheduled) I had to go back to WH-Smith and was extremely impressed to see DAA staff dressed in full PPE spray-disinfecting a recently emptied boarding gate area.

We had upgraded our seats to front ones to avoid too many people but it wasn't a problem as the flight only had about 50 on it anyway. Masks were mandatory on the (spotless) plane as they had been in the (also spotless) airport building.

The flight was pleasant as was landing in Biarritz where I was surprised our passenger locator form wasn't taken.

Passport control and suitcase collection was quick as was (pre-sanitised) car hire, which ended in a nice upgrade.

Check-in at the campsite was non-contact and quick and our reps wore masks at all times.

Masks in shops were also mandatory - no 'I have a breathing problem' excptions. The hand sanitisers at the entrances were 1m high foot pedal operated posts, rather than the €1.50 Dealz bottles here that everyone has had their maulers on.

The locals were happy so see us and take our cash as, like others have said about Spain, they are going about their business and not being forced to live in fear and anxiety by their government, who have taken a 'be on your guard but don't live in fear' handle. Many other responsible European tourists also having a nice holiday and appeared to be refraining from licking each other and brigning certain death home with them.

The social distancing in France is the WHO recommended 1m. Took a second or two to get used yo.

The only place we were uncomfortable was the resort swimming pool but it was full of kids ion their holidays doing what kids do on ther holidays - playing! We simply avoided the pool after that and walked the pleasant 1km to the beach along a wide footpath shared with bicycles. There was plenty of free parking there too. No markings on the beach as in Spain but it was never particularly full anyway so it wasn't an issue. Regular police tannoy announcements gave reminders (Police station at the beach) which were clearly being listened to.

Restaurants all good and safe. The waitress on our last night (resort restaurant) asked us why there were so few Irish this year, as ordinarily the resort was very popular with the Irish. We told her why. She seemed genuinely surprised and said her colleagues had come to the conclusion we must be riddled with Covid. As I said, they don't live and breathe what some random public servant 'Legend' preaches on a daily basis so they had no reason, other than searching, to know.

I was glad we went as it was lovely to get away from the misery and depression of this place for a while and get on with some sort of normality. And it was nice to see other nations getting on safely with the new normality.

This post is not to antagonise anyone and I won't be engaging in debate around the rights and wrongs of it but if anyone reads it who is having second thoughts about holidaying a French campsite then maybe it'll help allay any fears they may have.

That's a brilliant post. I wish I could of worded my experience similar as you seem to be in the same boat. Another country not going about things cowboy style

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Where do you see this? I’ve been listening to the radio all day while I have been working and have no heard anything. Nor in the Indo or the IT

It was in the Examiner earlier. Tonight I’m seeing posturing by NPHET on the Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

faceman wrote: »
    It was in the Examiner earlier. Tonight I’m seeing posturing by NPHET on the Journal

I could well be wrong but I would like to hope the significant lockdowns won't occur.

Economics don't trump health but an awful lot of people do not seem to appreciate that we are at over SIXTEEN percent unemployment right now.

If we stay open as we are we should be able to borrow our way out of trouble for a little while yet.

But any sort of opening, closing, opening, closing shenanigans of a significant sort will f*** us completely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

@ sy_flembeck

So what you did, I would catorgorise as responsible travel, glad you enjoyed the break, sure some small risk but very low, according to the Covid app, travel abroad is responsible for 2% of cases

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement