Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Glad you had a wonderful and it's probably a great time as there are fewer crowds and hygiene measures at its peak.

Big question did you self isolate on your return?

Absolutely not. But I am still following the advice which recommends restricting my movements. If people kept up to date they'd know what was being asked.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Sounds more miserable than a below average holiday but once you made something of it, that's the main thing.

Far from it. Travel to a foreign country and only then will you realise how much, in increments, your government has been chipping away at you for the last 6 months.

I have spent most of my adult life working in the public sector. Perhaps because of that I'm less likely to be taken in by the daily dose of flannel and guff being peddled by your highly paid public servants.

I'm 53 years old so if something similar hits when I'm 70 I'll have to think very differently and I'll have no alternative but to cocoon and that's ok by me. In the intervening 17 years I will not be staying in waiting to be told I can't go out and I'm going to die.

That's not living, that's existing.

Feria40 wrote: »
    Sure whatever your having yourself.

I'm traveling myself shortly and thought it was an informative post. Like the poster I will also be flying from Dublin airport so I am pleased to hear that they are serious with hygiene/ distancing rules.

Go for it. Nothing whatsoever to fear and you'll come back seriously relaxed.
    I forgot to mention that I also kept away from the Irish news apps for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Italy’s surge in new cases as a result of travel

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/big-jump-italys-daily-cases-161538762.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭josip

johnire wrote: »

I wonder if any of the infected Italians returned from the Laois-Kildare-Offaly region recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Probably not. If you read the article it gives an idea of where they were.
    josip wrote: »
    I wonder if any of the infected Italians returned from the Laois-Kildare-Offaly region recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

johnire wrote: »

As a result of travel? Maybe!

183 cases in Veneto region.

“Veneto Gov. Luca Zaia said the new infections were found in residents who recently returned home from Spain, Peru, Malta, Croatia and Greece.”

It’s unclear from the article what % of that number are travel related. Might be only 5 of the 183.

Also, they tested positive after being abroad. That doesn’t necessarily mean they caught it travelling. Who’s to say they didn’t go out for a drink the night they came back and catch it in an Italian bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭josip

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    As a result of travel? Maybe!

183 cases in Veneto region.

“Veneto Gov. Luca Zaia said the new infections were found in residents who recently returned home from Spain, Peru, Malta, Croatia and Greece.”

It’s unclear from the article what % of that number are travel related. Might be only 5 of the 183.

Also, they tested positive after being abroad. That doesn’t necessarily mean they caught it travelling. Who’s to say they didn’t go out for a drink the night they came back and catch it in an Italian bar?

You're wasting your time.
    For some people it's just easiest to blame Johnny Foreigner and not have to overthink things.

Cancelled our holiday in France weeks ago.

Anyone travelling for a holiday who doesn't quarantine themselves for 14 days on the way back in has a particularily nasty self-centred streak in them (you shouldn't have gone in the first place in fact).

There's no doubt but that travel abroad will import cases, and you don't know and can't say if you are one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Far from it. Travel to a foreign country and only then will you realise how much, in increments, your government has been chipping away at you for the last 6 months.

I have spent most of my adult life working in the public sector. Perhaps because of that I'm less likely to be taken in by the daily does of flannel and guff being peddled by your highly paid public servants.

I'm 53 years old so if something similar hits when I'm 70 I'll have to think very differently and I'll have no alternative but to cocoon and that's ok by me. In the intervening 17 years I will not be staying in waiting to be told I can't go out and I'm going to die.

That's not living, that's existing.

What has age got to do with it? You know 53 year olds are susceptible to the virus also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

ecoli3136 wrote: »

Anyone travelling for a holiday who doesn't quarantine themselves for 14 days on the way back in has a particularily nasty self-centred streak in them (you shouldn't have gone in the first place in fact).

There's no doubt but that travel abroad will import cases, and you don't know and can't say if you are one

On the way to bed but I thought I'd check in on the daily misery on Boards. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Presently staying with friends in Naples. Beautiful weather, everyone adhering to the medical advice so far that I have seen. Really enjoying the uncrowded tourist free areas. Anyway I'm home Monday to the misery and virtue signalling . Still it's nice to know not everywhere is populated by the misery evident on Boards.
    No self quarantine requirement by the state or my employer. ;-)
    Edit
    I was only commenting on the cartoon thread but I couldn't let this pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Absolutely not. But I am still following the advice which recommends restricting my movements. If people kept up to date they'd know what was being asked.

this.. everyone asked us were we self isolating, i was only too happy to point them to the HSE website which recommends 'restricting movement', which we did, we worked from home and kids didnt go to creche.

we still ahd to pay for creche... worth it? you better ****ing believe it.

so why have their been 1% of cases travel rleated, sicne the airports opened, even including all the toueists coming from here?

climb back under your scare mongering rock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Out of curiosity, if I have to travel to Kildare or any of the midland counties with restrictions for any reason over the next 2 weeks, should I have to quarantine on my return home?

On the way to bed but I thought I'd check in on the daily misery on Boards. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Presently staying with friends in Naples. Beautiful weather, everyone adhering to the medical advice so far that I have seen. Really enjoying the uncrowded tourist free areas. Anyway I'm home Monday to the misery and virtue signalling . Still it's nice to know not everywhere is populated by the misery evident on Boards.
    No self quarantine requirement by the state or my employer. ;-)
    Edit
    I was only commenting on the cartoon thread but I couldn't let this pass.

I'm not miserable at all, far from it. Looking forward to a couple of weeks holiday myself starting today. Hope you have a safe flight.

Your assertion of virtue signalling makes clear that you know yourself that what you're at is not proper behaviour at this time.

What you're doing is selfish and irresponsible in my opinion and I think less of you for it. You don't care what I think and I don't care what you think so at least there's that.
    GazzaL wrote: »
    I've met loads of people who have travelled to Ireland from non-green-list countries over the last few weeks, and none of them isolated on arrival. Some of them have travelled literally all over the country. We need to get on with life. If you want to go on a holiday, enjoy yourself.

what a shower of irresponsible morons you've met.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I know it shouldn’t, but knowing that I’m annoying the finger-wagging Karens, is making my foreign holiday even more enjoyable.:D

I know it shouldn’t, but knowing that I’m annoying the finger-wagging Karens, is making my foreign holiday even more enjoyable.:D

You're not annoying me, I just wouldn't like you if I met you.

You're not annoying me, I just wouldn't like you if I met you.

I'm devastated.

I'm devastated.

It was just when you said the thought you were annoying me was helping you enjoy your holiday more, for some odd reason, I wanted to make it clear that you were off on a mad one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

And at 8.15am Saturday morning you're on boards posting this. Wow. What a life you live.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if I have to travel to Kildare or any of the midland counties with restrictions for any reason over the next 2 weeks, should I have to quarantine on my return home?

Are you planning on staying there for the next couple of weeks? Doing the usual holiday things? Or just driving through? Are you flying there on a plane with many other people on it?

You should only go there if it's essential travel (do you want me to look up what that means for you?) and observe good social distancing and hand hygiene practices.

If you're just going there for a brief visit I don't think you will need to quarantine, if you are of average intelligence and behave sensibly (only you know if you meet those criteria).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OldRio wrote: »
    And at 8.15am Saturday morning you're on boards posting this. Wow. What a life you live.
    This.

The amount of posters who absolutely haunt threads about Covid day and night, repeatedly and smugly posting about their amazing experiences abroad while all the sad cases are still at home and how awful Ireland must be, is just mind-boggling.

If you've gone to all the trouble of going abroad, just fecking enjoy it ffs!

It was just when you said the thought you were annoying me was helping you enjoy your holiday more, for some odd reason, I wanted to make it clear that you were off on a mad one there.

That's good buddy, but if I was you I'd reply to this post too - just to make crystal-clear how little you care. :D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This.

The amount of posters who absolutely haunt threads about Covid day and night, repeatedly and smugly posting about their amazing experiences abroad while all the sad cases are still at home and how awful Ireland must be, is just mind-boggling.

If you've gone to all the trouble of going abroad, just fecking enjoy it ffs!

This thread was set up for people who are travelling to share their experiences. I’m not sure why you and facehugger are here tbh.

I’m off to Rome in a few days and will post about my experience

This thread was set up for people who are travelling to share their experiences. I’m not sure why you and facehugger are here tbh.

I’m off to Rome in a few days and will post about my experience

Actually the thread title is "Will you travel?"

Yippee, everyone has great big penises while travelling and staying at home. Done now?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Ooooh you're posting on boards while on holidays.....LOOOOOSER!! SAAAAADDO!

As if when on holidays you're meant to be doing coke n hookers and swinging from the chandeliers 24/7 :pac:

Enjoy the holidays all, nice to see ye can chill on the aul EU data roaming, wonderful thing!

when on holidays you're meant to be doing coke n hookers and swinging from the chandeliers 24/7 :pac:

my dream holiday right there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

The way things are going Germany and others will be on the Green list next time out although I expect they will change the goalposts. May have been better to go with a “number” after all but strategic thinking has gone out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Anyone in London flown out from Stansted recently? I've a flight next week leaving early in the morning and am a little nervous with the reduced timetable that there might be a train issue and I'll end up missing the flight. In normal times, I'd suck it up and get an Uber but really don't want to be in a car with a stranger right now. Not sure what to do :( I could change to an evening flight but that would mean going to Tottenham Hale at rush hour (5 or 6pm ish). I know it's way quieter than it used to be, but assuming it won't be dead at that time?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement