Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Things I never thought I would hear in Spain:

"I cancelled my trip to Ireland till next year, things are getting worse there and aren't being managed properly"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I’m off to Rome in a few days and will post about my experience

The ironic thing is you’re probably safer walking through Rome than Kildare lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

9am flight tomorrow back to work, so I guess that falls into the essential category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Coming up on Government Channel A, we have the latest on Travel for your safety, enjoy citizen:

https://youtu.be/r7LNSYTKnqA

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bagels4me

Anyone in London flown out from Stansted recently? I've a flight next week leaving early in the morning and am a little nervous with the reduced timetable that there might be a train issue and I'll end up missing the flight. In normal times, I'd suck it up and get an Uber but really don't want to be in a car with a stranger right now. Not sure what to do :( I could change to an evening flight but that would mean going to Tottenham Hale at rush hour (5 or 6pm ish). I know it's way quieter than it used to be, but assuming it won't be dead at that time?

You could stay in the Hilton hotel the night before, done in many times before.
    It's right next to the terminal
    Rooms should be cheap now, and no hassle worrying about getting there on time the morning of the flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Bagels4me wrote: »
    You could stay in the Hilton hotel the night before, done in many times before.
    It's right next to the terminal
    Rooms should be cheap now, and no hassle worrying about getting there on time the morning of the flight

Thanks but definitely don't want to be staying in a hotel...wouldn't feel comfortable and don't particularly want to spend extra money when I've already bought fairly expensive flights.

This hot weather is a pain...makes it even less likely for people to comply with mask wearing :( Can't decide what the lesser of the two evils is - getting up super early and hoping that the early trains are running and quiet, or heading out about 6pm when it's likely to be busier. No idea how to know what train passenger numbers of like atm - Stansted Express is usually a commuter route in the rush hour but no idea if it's like that now.

Thanks but definitely don't want to be staying in a hotel...wouldn't feel comfortable and don't particularly want to spend extra money when I've already bought fairly expensive flights.

This hot weather is a pain...makes it even less likely for people to comply with mask wearing :( Can't decide what the lesser of the two evils is - getting up super early and hoping that the early trains are running and quiet, or heading out about 6pm when it's likely to be busier. No idea how to know what train passenger numbers of like atm - Stansted Express is usually a commuter route in the rush hour but no idea if it's like that now.

If I were you I'd do early in the morning, the trains should be quieter, the weather will be cooler, just give yourself plenty of time.
    National express also goes to stansted if that's any good, departs every 30 minutes
    Try not to worry so much, you can only control what you do

Bagels4me wrote: »
    If I were you I'd do early in the morning, the trains should be quieter, the weather will be cooler, just give yourself plenty of time.
    National express also goes to stansted if that's any good, departs every 30 minutes
    Try not to worry so much, you can only control what you do

Heh, I'd just made peace with the decision of going later :D

National Express isn't possible - would need to be Tottenham Hale, and I'd be walking there (about a 30 mins walk), so maybe not ideal for a lone woman at 5am-ish? Also worried about ending up stranded at that hour and without options if the train didn't come or there was a problem.

But yeah, train in almost 30 degree weather, which may or may not be full of commuters, is hardly great, either.

Aghhhh decisions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Lash_Alert

Far from it. Travel to a foreign country and only then will you realise how much, in increments, your government has been chipping away at you for the last 6 months.

I have spent most of my adult life working in the public sector. Perhaps because of that I'm less likely to be taken in by the daily does of flannel and guff being peddled by your highly paid public servants.

I'm 53 years old so if something similar hits when I'm 70 I'll have to think very differently and I'll have no alternative but to cocoon and that's ok by me. In the intervening 17 years I will not be staying in waiting to be told I can't go out and I'm going to die.

That's not living, that's existing.

Well, you're an idiot.

Heh, I'd just made peace with the decision of going later :D

National Express isn't possible - would need to be Tottenham Hale, and I'd be walking there (about a 30 mins walk), so maybe not ideal for a lone woman at 5am-ish? Also worried about ending up stranded at that hour and without options if the train didn't come or there was a problem.

But yeah, train in almost 30 degree weather, which may or may not be full of commuters, is hardly great, either.

Aghhhh decisions :(

You'll be grand, it's only 35 minutes from Tottenham Hale, the commuters should all be off well before the airport
    Enjoy your trip and try not to worry!

Let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Are you planning on staying there for the next couple of weeks? Doing the usual holiday things? Or just driving through? Are you flying there on a plane with many other people on it?

You should only go there if it's essential travel (do you want me to look up what that means for you?) and observe good social distancing and hand hygiene practices.

If you're just going there for a brief visit I don't think you will need to quarantine, if you are of average intelligence and behave sensibly (only you know if you meet those criteria).

So you’re making exceptions for the riskiest parts of Ireland based on what?

How is a weekend in say, Torrevieja, a Costa city popular with Irish tourists and very little C19 more risky than a weekend in Kildare?

Don’t use speculation, provide your evidence based argument as to why Kildare should be treated differently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm in Italy at the minute staying just outside Rome, travelled yesterday and found the trip to be fine. Dublin airport was quiet enough and mask wearing and social distancing being observed by the vast majority. Flight was about 2/3 full and mask wearing observed by all.

Arriving in Rome Ciampino again social distancing being observed and temperature monitors for everyone as they leave the baggage reclaim area. When I got to my hotel temperature taken at check-in and mask wearing compulsory inside the hotel. Each time we enter the pool area our temperature is taken again and then you can take off the mask and stay around the pool.

There is a big shopping centre next door to the hotel and again like the airport temperature monitors as you enter. 100% adherence to mask wearing in the shopping centre. Some individual shops take your temperature as you enter and all have the hand sanitizer as you enter with most compulsory to use. I certainly feel safer there than I did in Blanchardstown shopping centre on Thursday when picking up a few things for the trip.

I've seen a few people on boards say that with the compulsory mask wearing etc that it wouldn't be a holiday to them but today I spent 6 hours at the pool with the kids, enjoying swimming about and glorious weather with the same planned for tomorrow before we do a bit of sightseeing around Rome on Monday so we're all loving it here.

The big difference I've seen so far is just that here everyone is following the guidelines around mask wearing/hand washing whereas in Ireland it's hit and miss. I haven't seen anyone here indoors without a mask and doubt either the staff or other members of the public would let you away with it.

I'm glad I travelled after worrying about it before hand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Far from it. Travel to a foreign country and only then will you realise how much, in increments, your government has been chipping away at you for the last 6 months.

I have spent most of my adult life working in the public sector. Perhaps because of that I'm less likely to be taken in by the daily dose of flannel and guff being peddled by your highly paid public servants.

I'm 53 years old so if something similar hits when I'm 70 I'll have to think very differently and I'll have no alternative but to cocoon and that's ok by me. In the intervening 17 years I will not be staying in waiting to be told I can't go out and I'm going to die.

That's not living, that's existing.

I do hope you take precautions to protect other people when you're out and about?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

tom1ie wrote: »
    What has age got to do with it? You know 53 year olds are susceptible to the virus also.

You think? Thank you doctor, I wasn't aware of that

( Can't decide what the lesser of the two evils is - getting up super early and hoping that the early trains are running and quiet, or heading out about 6pm when it's likely to be busier. No idea how to know what train passenger numbers of like atm - Stansted Express is usually a commuter route in the rush hour but no idea if it's like that now.

Are you talking about spending 12 hours in an airport rather than take a busy train? To me thats rather perverse logic.

Sitting onboard a B787 aircraft, they are still applying the 50% rule so only 189 passengers in economy. 100% mask usage from the time I entered the airport building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sitting onboard a B787 aircraft, they are still applying the 50% rule so only 189 passengers in economy. 100% mask usage from the time I entered the airport building.

Cannot see myself on a wide body for some time but that will be a very comfortable journey. Where are you off to?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I'm back in a couple of days from Poland, my second trip of the summer. I'll be carefully restricting my movements when I'm back - I wouldn't want to catch covid in Ireland after such a great summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was hoping to travel next year but I dint see what’s going to change

Gael23 wrote: »
    I was hoping to travel next year but I dint see what’s going to change

Well the risk right now (due to ineptitude and protection of certain interests) is that it will not be a matter of whether you choose to travel But rather Ireland will be on red lists.

• Advertisement

smurfjed wrote: »
    Are you talking about spending 12 hours in an airport rather than take a busy train? To me thats rather perverse logic.

Ehhh...no? I'm talking about taking the early morning flight rather than the late evening one.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Currently in Antibes, flew with Ryanair, the transport was fine lots of masks etc. No concerns. Antibes itself is super busy though and the tourist areas are packed. Masks are about but not enough really... we've decided to avoid the busy areas and have found a great beach area that is a lot quieter... in the end it was worth the journey. Lovely place if a little expensive.

Currently in Antibes, flew with Ryanair, the transport was fine lots of masks etc. No concerns. Antibes itself is super busy though and the tourist areas are packed. Masks are about but not enough really... we've decided to avoid the busy areas and have found a great beach area that is a lot quieter... in the end it was worth the journey. Lovely place if a little expensive.

A little bit of a trek on the train but Villefranche sur mer (just beyond Nice) is very nice - one of the most scenic swims you will have but may be busy. If in Nice there is a lovely pizza place (reasonable value) called Attimi. Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Wallander wrote: »
    I'm back in a couple of days from Poland, my second trip of the summer. I'll be carefully restricting my movements when I'm back - I wouldn't want to catch covid in Ireland after such a great summer!

Poland had 843 cases yesterday.... just avoid kildare and Ireland is much safer.

Is it true that masks shouldn't be worn more than 4 hours? Got a message from Easyjet saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Poland had 843 cases yesterday.... just avoid kildare and Ireland is much safer.

That's actually better than us considering their population is much higher.

We had 174 cases. Our population is 4,937,786. That makes our number of cases per 100,000 population yesterday 3.52.
    Poland had 843 cases and their population is 37,846,611. Therefore the number of cases per 100,000 population yesterday is 2.22.

It's pointless throwing out numbers like that without considering the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Is it true that masks shouldn't be worn more than 4 hours? Got a message from Easyjet saying that.

The same mask shouldn't be worn for long periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I'm sitting in a spa in Germany with an Erdinger, relaxing in the heat.

Deserted Munich Airport, bit busier in Dublin. Mask wearing 100%, half full plane and overall very pleasant flying experience. Masks pretty much everywhere indoors in Munich, possibly feels more safe than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm sitting in a spa in Germany with an Erdinger, relaxing in the heat.

Deserted Munich Airport, bit busier in Dublin. Mask wearing 100%, half full plane and overall very pleasant flying experience. Masks pretty much everywhere indoors in Munich, possibly feels more safe than Ireland.

I thought you said masks were pointless? You feel safer there with everyone wearing masks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

VG31 wrote: »
    That's actually better than us considering their population is much higher.

We had 174 cases. Our population is 4,937,786. That makes our number of cases per 100,000 population yesterday 3.52.
    Poland had 843 cases and their population is 37,846,611. Therefore the number of cases per 100,000 population yesterday is 2.22.

It's pointless throwing out numbers like that without considering the population.

Hence why I said to avoid Kildare which had 110 of those 174 cases. Read the full post in future....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement