Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I'm not even against people flying for holidays, btw, I'm just surprised they want to. I'm absolutely dreading it and would love not to have to go.

Remember many people see this as having no choice as there are 1000s of people who would have paid for flights and holidays up front before all of this started and are not willing to throw €1000s away or pay extortionate extra sums to the airlines to change their flights to some date in the future - which is in itself a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Acosta wrote: »
    I can't understand why people don't make the small effort to get the locator forms printed for themselves and their families prior to leaving Ireland to go on their holiday. You could have them all filled out before leaving the house resulting in you quickly getting through immigration when you return. You could even print it out and fill it out on the plane on the way back. Naturally the likes of Ryanair are not reminding people to fill it out or having the forms on the planes to hand out to people, but really its travellers own responsibility to have it done.. Instead loads of people are filling them out before they go through immigration surrounded by loads of others for their flight and other flights.

Meh, I mean in reality who's got a home printer these days, plus trying to keep a sheet of paper in good condition stuffed into your bag/suitcase..or if you're coming to Ireland from abroad it's unlikely you're even aware of filling out this paper form...which i think is only available in English or Gaelic anyways..

The issue is that this form should be online and a barcode or something scanned at the passport check... Instead you've got 100's of people sharing the same pen and desk and touching these forms also... what a mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm not flying 'for a holiday'. You have no idea why I am flying. I don't 'want' to go home at all, I have a serious family issue to attend to, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.

I'm not even against people flying for holidays, btw, I'm just surprised they want to. I'm absolutely dreading it and would love not to have to go.

I'm sorry to say this but I'm finding your posts tiresome. People on this thread have been very kind and gentle with you about your fears, which is not the usual way on boards where people can be horrible. But there is always a limit to sympathy.

I also have an issue with the emboldened. This thread is packed with people attesting to the safety of air travel. On my last flight the pilot, after welcoming everyone on board,informed us that the plane had the HEPA air filtering system and was very clear about safety measures both on board and at our destination. Plus, numbers travelling are way down so that airports and planes are quiet at the moment. But posters have repeatedly pointed that out.

In response to an earlier post of yours, I too, know people affected by Covid. One died and one survived. I also have had family killed by cancer and on the roads. But I refuse to live my life in fear. You need to understand that and understand that your fear is a personal thing and we just don't all share it. You really should not go anywhere at the moment if it's such an enormous deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I'm not flying 'for a holiday'. You have no idea why I am flying. I don't 'want' to go home at all, I have a serious family issue to attend to, so please keep your assumptions to yourself.

Sorry, i thought it was you that said you were going home now as you hadn't seen your family in a while and was unsure what the future holds, so you were going now while it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

acequion wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say this but I'm finding your posts tiresome. People on this thread have been very kind and gentle with you about your fears, which is not the usual way on boards where people can be horrible. But there is always a limit to sympathy.

I also have an issue with the emboldened. This thread is packed with people attesting to the safety of air travel. On my last flight the pilot, after welcoming everyone on board,informed us that the plane had the HEPA air filtering system and was very clear about safety measures both on board and at our destination. Plus, numbers travelling are way down so that airports and planes are quiet at the moment. But posters have repeatedly pointed that out.

In response to an earlier post of yours, I too, know people affected by Covid. One died and one survived. I also have had family killed by cancer and on the roads. But I refuse to live my life in fear. You need to understand that and understand that your fear is a personal thing and we just don't all share it. You really should not go anywhere at the moment if it's such an enormous deal.

I'm not attacking anyone going on holiday, though?! :confused: It was simply an observation - I'm genuinely surprised this route is still so busy. I could understand flights to holiday destinations being busy with people wanting to get away somewhere nice (and I agree that people should be able to go on hols if they want to) but I thought this route, especially the Belfast one, was largely commuters. A weeknight London-Belfast route was never busy, even before Covid, (unlike the Friday evening and Monday morning ones, which were always packed with ticket prices quite high) so I am genuinely surprised it is now.

Maybe I am more afraid than most people here, but I don't think I'm even anywhere near as afraid as most people I know in London. Some of my colleagues won't even go into a shop and are asking for everyone to have to shower and change clothes once we go back to the office - stuff that even I find massively OTT.

Perhaps it is living in such a densely populated city that creates this fear and oppressive feeling - I was much better on holidays in the countryside last week and I'm sure Ireland will also feel a lot safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Sorry, i thought it was you that said you were going home now as you hadn't seen your family in a while and was unsure what the future holds, so you were going now while it was possible.

This is true but it's far from being a fun/nice holiday...some very unpleasant and stressful stuff going on and without going into detail, I think I'd rather not leave it too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

Not sure if this has been posted yet.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-call-centre-to-track-passengers-arriving-at-dublin-airport-1.4325977

There's talk about an electronic, rather than a paper, form then it goes on to say this. Are they talking about knocking on people's doors or what? Surely they couldn't be a tracking device on the e-form?
    He confirmed the e-form for locating passengers will include a “text-messaging facility with the capability to issue daily reminders and public health information to persons required to restrict their movement”.

The locator office will also be in a position to check that passengers are where they claimed they would be on the form they supplied upon arrival into Ireland.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

The forms should be available to process online. Recieve a barcode when processed to let immigration scan it.

Sourcing a printer ect is hard in some places. Its a lot less waste aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Back from Nice last night into Dublin airport, the plane and the airport fairly busy but I had printed off the traceability forms in the hotel and managed to get through quite handily.
    Overall the trip was a lot busier than i thought it would be, the statements of quiet airports and resorts really depends on where you are, as Antibes had no such issues, all hotels full to capacity, beaches and eateries / bars really busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am trying to figure out the best and safest way of visiting my elderly parents (in their 80s) and in quite poor health. Although living in Germany, I got used to flying home for a weekend or long weekend every month or so (+ a longer trip for Christmas) to provide some support, which all stopped since March.

I could get tested before leaving with a reasonably quick result but I am wondering about the best way to travel.

I am hesitating between flying and driving + ferry from Cherbourg to Dublin (probably a 32 hour door-to-door trip in my own car). Would 17 hours in a ship cabin carry less risk than a "short" flight and hanging around airports?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

embraer170 wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out the best and safest way of visiting my elderly parents (in their 80s) and in quite poor health. Although living in Germany, I got used to flying home for a weekend or long weekend every month or so (+ a longer trip for Christmas) to provide some support, which all stopped since March.

I could get tested before leaving with a reasonably quick result but I am wondering about the best way to travel.

I am hesitating between flying and driving + ferry from Cherbourg to Dublin (probably a 32 hour door-to-door trip in my own car). Would 17 hours in a ship cabin carry less risk than a "short" flight and hanging around airports?

We travelled Dub to Cherbourg and back (16 July and 2 August) and had acres of space both ways for physical distancing. I mean an easy 10m between us and others when we were sitting in the social spaces. No crowds at the point of leaving car/returning to car. Felt safe as could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

embraer170 wrote: »

Read back a few pages here and there are several (including my own) positive posts about flying, if that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ladylouth wrote: »
    We travelled Dub to Cherbourg and back (16 July and 2 August) and had acres of space both ways for physical distancing. I mean an easy 10m between us and others when we were sitting in the social spaces. No crowds at the point of leaving car/returning to car. Felt safe as could be.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So back from Italy today. Fly into Bergamo, quiet. Temperature check, locator form handed over. Bit pointless as I was going travelling the first few days without an itinerary. Masks enforced everywhere but with politeness and the odd look if it hung under your nose. Enjoyed the ease of getting around at the sites. Went to Venice, onwards to Ravenna. Long drive to Siena stayed over ,on to Naples to my friends. The decision to go ahead with the trip was only influenced by the Italy being on the Green list, remaining at home for two weeks was not an option. Delighted to have caught up with friends I haven't seen in a year.
    Flew out from Rome today, probably the only times I will say I enjoyed the airport experience.
    Prague booked for November come what may.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

So back from Italy today. Fly into Bergamo, quiet. Temperature check, locator form handed over. Bit pointless as I was going travelling the first few days without an itinerary. Masks enforced everywhere but with politeness and the odd look if it hung under your nose. Enjoyed the ease of getting around at the sites. Went to Venice, onwards to Ravenna. Long drive to Siena stayed over ,on to Naples to my friends. The decision to go ahead with the trip was only influenced by the Italy being on the Green list, remaining at home for two weeks was not an option. Delighted to have caught up with friends I haven't seen in a year.
    Flew out from Rome today, probably the only times I will say I enjoyed the airport experience.
    Prague booked for November come what may.

That will depend on what the virus situation is like in November. You better have another plan if that trip has to be postponed or cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

That will depend on what the virus situation is like in November. You better have another plan if that trip has to be postponed or cancelled.

Vouchers , dear boy. Although I suspect i'll go regardless, unless RA stops flying. Life is for living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Whether you intend to tell them or not I can't imagine they will open on the basis that kids will be accepted freely without question. Maybe they can't go as far as asking you to sign something to declare you have travelled abroad but at the very least they will surely issue some kind of recommendation that you don't send them. There is already disquiet from teachers unions etc about risks to them.

Kids talk so it's not a matter of telling the school or not it just has to be assumed the school will know.

As I expected and as discussed a few pages back - schools have sent out return to school policy and have specified do not send your child to school if they have been out of the country in the 14 days prior to school opening date - not to attend school and must isolate....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

As I expected and as discussed a few pages back - schools have sent out return to school policy and have specified do not send your child to school if they have been out of the country in the 14 days prior to school opening date - not to attend school and must isolate....

Yep. I got one.

I was in the airport today.. zero craic but lots of space and clean. In the heel of the hunt I forgot about the 9 euro gargle tax !

The first thing that hits you when you return is how everyone is panicked compared to the continent. Considering travel has little to do with the current Covid numbers people are still brainwashed into knee jerk reactions and comment's in relation to travel. Having lunch alfresco on the continent was Great. Watching the people go by without thinking about Covid. Here it's completely the opposite. Politicians should travel and see how other countries are operating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Arrived in to Dublin today, I must say Aer Lingus were very good, slower than usual but good physical distancing. The problem was the end of the flight. People are idiots. Of course people rushed to leave as soon as the plane came to a stop, took ten minutes to get the doors open, while the entire aisle was packed belly to back. Why cant people stay in their seat until the row in front of them disembarks? Like after all that, hours of distancing,mask wearing, hand cleaning, why????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭54and56

Arrived in to Dublin today, I must say Aer Lingus were very good, slower than usual but good physical distancing. The problem was the end of the flight. People are idiots. Of course people rushed to leave as soon as the plane came to a stop, took ten minutes to get the doors open, while the entire aisle was packed belly to back. Why cant people stay in their seat until the row in front of them disembarks? Like after all that, hours of distancing,mask wearing, hand cleaning, why????

Think you answered your own question there.

How hard would it be for the head Steward to ask everyone to stay seated then disembark row by row. Once row 1 have disembarked, he/she invited row 2 to stand up and so on. Sure it would add 10 minutes to the disembarkation process but so what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Does that include green list countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Limpy wrote: »
    The first thing that hits you when you return is how everyone is panicked compared to the continent. Considering travel has little to do with the current Covid numbers people are still brainwashed into knee jerk reactions and comment's in relation to travel. Having lunch alfresco on the continent was Great. Watching the people go by without thinking about Covid. Here it's completely the opposite. Politicians should travel and see how other countries are operating.

Just thinking the same thing myself.

People over here are actually living. Swimming pools, bars, cafes, clubs all open and people just being sensible and getting on with life.

Meanwhile, Laois in lockdown with a handful of cases.

The hysteria being pumped out nonstop by the media and Government in Ireland is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Yeah, I'll be ignoring that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Limpy wrote: »

Completely agree with this.

The general fear level and obsession with Covid in this country is unhealthy

Granted I was in a very low covid country but still it is depressing to return here with people so hyped up and obsessed by Covid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Just thinking the same thing myself.

People over here are actually living. Swimming pools, bars, cafes, clubs all open and people just being sensible and getting on with life.

Meanwhile, Laois in lockdown with a handful of cases.

The hysteria being pumped out nonstop by the media and Government in Ireland is criminal.

I've been in Munich the past week and to be honest I've forgotten covid was still taken as seriously. I realise that in Ireland our only fears are media created and not from the actual situation with the virus in Ireland. People who are fearful of the virus are fearful solely from their consumption of click bait and fearmongering media. The only stats I've checked the past week are hospitalisations and deaths, low and behold they are negligible which begs the question "what the hell is wrong with Ireland?".

Everyone here is going about their business as normal. You'd throw on the mask in most indoor settings but obviously not if you were eating or drinking, even on a train. It feels very much about optics though as beyond masks not a lot of concern is being shown. We've been out to bars and restaurants and obviously there is no ludicrous €9 mandatory meal charge and we've also spent the past 3 days in the Erding therme with a few hundred maybe even over a thousand people with zero social distancing or anything within the complex; to think of something like this being open in Ireland would give the many civil servant and political goons a heart attack. But it's Germany, not some backwards, poor country so I'm embarrassed at Ireland's drawn out and panicked societal and economic shutdown. I've asked work whether I can stay over here for a few weeks to work from home as I don't want to go back until Ireland gets its act together and cops on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I've been in Munich the past week and to be honest I've forgotten covid was still taken as seriously. I realise that in Ireland our only fears are media created and not from the actual situation with the virus in Ireland. People who are fearful of the virus are fearful solely from their consumption of click bait and fearmongering media. The only stats I've checked the past week are hospitalisations and deaths, low and behold they are negligible which begs the question "what the hell is wrong with Ireland?".

Everyone here is going about their business as normal. You'd throw on the mask in most indoor settings but obviously not if you were eating or drinking, even on a train. It feels very much about optics though as beyond masks not a lot of concern is being shown. We've been out to bars and restaurants and obviously there is no ludicrous €9 mandatory meal charge and we've also spent the past 3 days in the Erding therme with a few hundred maybe even over a thousand people with zero social distancing or anything within the complex; to think of something like this being open in Ireland would give the many civil servant and political goons a heart attack. But it's Germany, not some backwards, poor country so I'm embarrassed at Ireland's drawn out and panicked societal and economic shutdown. I've asked work whether I can stay over here for a few weeks to work from home as I don't want to go back until Ireland gets its act together and cops on.

I was (still am) considering getting out of dodge for 4/5 weeks, get an Air BnB and remote work.

Having seen how other countries operated I have to say the government have got this badly wrong.

People are starting to turn on each other here. Instead we should be opening up and targeting the problem area's. The meat factories are a start. Poland had problems with mines, Malta with migrants, Lithuania with Uzbek driver's. It happens and we get the news out to the public to be careful, but we need to get rid of the 24/7 negative news stories and replace them with how other city's are coping. People need to see how other cities are behaving.

I travelled last month for a few week's. On mini busses, trains and trams. No social distancing, I wasn't scared. It felt good to be normal again, albeit with a mask. I can live with that.

• Advertisement

My daughter who is 6 months pregnant flew home from Vancouver 2 weeks ago, along with her 14 month old and her hubby. Air Canada on both legs (Vancouver, Toronto, Dublin). My other daughter flew home from London at the same time, a family reunion!

Daughter from Vancouver has just finished 14 days isolation here even though Vancouver has very low Covid numbers, she is home to stay now........... daughter from London returned after 7 days to UK. She said the UK airports were never quieter or safer , likewise Canadian and Dublin airports.

Of course I worried with all this going on but here we are 14 days later and everyone safe and well. I think we are hyping things up far too much. I think we will look back at this period in our history and wonder what the hell we were so worried about.

Mask wearing , social distancing and hand sanitizing should be enough, everything should be open now, FAR too much media hype here in Ireland. RTÉ news every night is shameful in its hype . Very few people dying from Covid anymore. I’d be far more worried about cancer cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement