Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0816/1159430-coronavirus-ireland/

Direct quote from same article:

The chairman of the Special Committee on Covid-19 Response has said Ireland is taking a more restrictive approach to international travel because of the lack of capacity in our health services.

Michael McNamara said the lack of capacity in the health service has been evident since the 1980s and as hospitals here are expecting an overrun this winter, the Government is imposing much stricter and draconian travel restrictions on our citizens than any other country in Europe.

He also said "we are entering a period of hysteria" as more cases are detected, despite the fact the same is happening in most other countries.

He said he sees "no scientific or evidential basis for what is being done" in relation to pub closures and individual county restrictions.

Great to see those in the positions of authority making these statements and the main media publications actually printing the statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

StefanFal wrote: »
    The European bloc is closed to American visitors at the moment.

Does anyone know if its possible to fly from US to Dublin and then onwards into Europe? Stockholm specifically.

If you’re an EU citizen you can. I don’t know if Sweden is like Norway/ Finland where you have to be a citizen/ live/ work / have relations there to enter as well.

On that a US citizen can come to Sweden through Dublin (unlikely, but possible) if they meet any of the above as well. I think tourists might find it problematic to get into Schengen though, but looks like they can come here as the UK/ Ireland aren’t blacklisting them yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Where's the wedding, Brazil... U.S?

I live in the UK. Wedding is in Ireland.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carmar1

My partner has to travel to Germany for self-employed work. We know that he must restrict his movements when he comes back but must his family, who haven't travelled also restrict movements? Must he self-isolate in a bedroom in the family home when he returns? The Hse website isn't very clear on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

No, just fill out the passenger locator form at the airport..

• Advertisement

Carmar1 wrote: »
    My partner has to travel to Germany for self-employed work. We know that he must restrict his movements when he comes back but must his family, who haven't travelled also restrict movements? Must he self-isolate in a bedroom in the family home when he returns? The Hse website isn't very clear on this.

If he has a positive covid test then anyone in his household should be tested as close contacts also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I imagine UK will be on the green list by then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I imagine UK will be on the green list by then?

That's what I was hoping for. I'm delaying booking flights for as long as possible for this reason. Spending that long at home is like a really nice form of imprisonment.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Carmar1 wrote: »

No and no. However you may wish to take these actions yourselves but there is nothing compelling (or even advising) you do to so. The advice is no longer to "self-isolate" but to "restrict your movements". He can even go outside for exercise as long as 2m distance from other people is maintained.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html#restrict

I personally wouldn't be too worried about it as Germany's cases are lower than ours. They will most likely be added to the green list anyway when it is updated on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do any of you have plans to travel in 2021? Don’t see much changing without a vaccine

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    I should hope so.

Wait and see though, no one knows how this will play out. I'll certainly keep an eye out for bargains. Once it's refundable then no issues.

Flights are not refundable, that’s the issue I have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Gael23 wrote: »
    Flights are not refundable, that’s the issue I have

Yeah that’s true - I think a lot of people will be booking flights a few weeks before the trip instead of months. A nightmare for airlines for cash flow.

Do any of you have plans to travel in 2021? Don’t see much changing without a vaccine

2021 may see tighter restrictions, the way NPHET-FFFG are talking these days how long before they draft in laws restricting travel unless authorised by them, i.e. having to make an official request on a Govt. website.
    Not to mention the fact that the Aviation sector in Ireland has fallen off a cliff, Dublin could in 2021 be the only airport we have in the country, and only with state subsidies keeping the lights on.
    Any airlines still operating flights in and out of the state will have to charge a high premium to operate here as no doubt Ryanair will pull their base out of Dublin and Aer Lingus will have been closed down by IAG to keep the likes of BA and Iberia afloat.
    There will be no business travel in or out of the country due to the level of restrictions, and with the high cost of flights only the wealthiest of families will be able to afford a flight.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I really can't see either of these happening.

Ireland is only a small percentage of Ryanair's trade, and they are suing the state already for the quarantine, they have pulled bases out of almost every country they fly to when Governments and airports put more costs on them, why will Ireland be different? They can run their business from a lower cost EU country.

IAG are in serious financial trouble like all other airlines, why wouldn't they have to close one of their brands, Aer lingus, to save money and keep the main business afloat.

Aviation in Ireland has flatlined, even in leasing an Irish company cut orders for aircraft, which had a direct effect on the financial figures for the irish economy.

Can you see NPHET-FFFG lift the 14 day isolation..? I can see them making it more restrictive...

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I missed this from last week - the European Commission has written to all EU countries urging them to resist imposing "ineffective" travel restrictions....

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/virus-linked-border-moves-raise-fears-free-travel-72281252

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

When, If ever, can we expect an update on the travel restrictions or green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

In 2021 there will be no airport left in Ireland. The Belfast international would be the only one on island.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Second runway in Dublin is ongoing.

Preparing for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

No point . Dublin airport would be closed to the end of next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Wallander wrote: »
    I missed this from last week - the European Commission has written to all EU countries urging them to resist imposing "ineffective" travel restrictions....

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/virus-linked-border-moves-raise-fears-free-travel-72281252

European health agency says restrictions should be reimplemented where needed.

One recommendation based on science the other on ideology. I know which I'll be following.

https://twitter.com/CDNewsDispatch/status/1293036001980448768?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gral6 wrote: »
    No point . Dublin airport would be closed to the end of next year.

Not a chance. I've travelled twice in the last two months (isolating as required when I go back) and the airport is busy. in fact the first time I nearly missed my flight because the queues at security took so long.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    2021 may see tighter restrictions, the way NPHET-FFFG are talking these days how long before they draft in laws restricting travel unless authorised by them, i.e. having to make an official request on a Govt. website..
    Not sure they have the constitutional power to forbid people from leaving the country. They best they can do is imo,event mandatory hotel quarantine on arrival like Australia are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

European health agency says restrictions should be reimplemented where needed.

One recommendation based on science the other on ideology. I know which I'll be following.

https://twitter.com/CDNewsDispatch/status/1293036001980448768?s=20

The report this references says nothing about travel restrictions being required, only that physical distancing, testing and contact tracing are vital factors:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/rapid-risk-assessment-coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-eueea-and-uk-eleventh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I intend to book flights as early as possible to avoid the last minute scramble and price hikes once people realize that nothing will be any different in 2021.

I'd imagine the majority of 2020 finger-waggers will have a road to Damascus moment regarding travel in the next 9 months when the penny starts to drop with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I intend to book flights as early as possible to avoid the last minute scramble and price hikes once people realize that nothing will be any different in 2021.

I'd imagine the majority of 2020 finger-waggers will have a road to Damascus moment regarding travel in the next 9 months when the penny starts to drop with them.

A lot of flights are looking very expensive for next year. Probably all the vouchers out there.

A lot of flights are looking very expensive for next year. Probably all the vouchers out there.

Wouldn’t put it past MOL to increase the price by the average cost of a flight.
    I’m going to wait until January 2021, partly because there’s so much uncertainty at the moment but mostly to arrange a holiday around some other commitments in 2021.
    I’m not nervous to go abroad as such, it’s not having insurance cover bothers me. I’m thinking of possibly August 2021 or earlier of there’s good news on the vaccine front by then

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Without doubt.

Covid will be the same - but they will be heading off alongside the people they shamed for travelling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I just don’t see the point of organising a trip anywhere at the moment.
    If you’re going to a country that’s not on the Green List then you have the mandatory quarantine upon your return. If you do go to a Green List country then there’s always the risk it’ll be removed either before you depart or while you’re there.
    Then there’s the possibility of restrictions being imposed in the country you’re in-look what’s happening in Greece,Italy and France at the moment.
    To top it all what do you do if you’re unlucky enough to catch the virus whilst abroad? It’s most definitely is not I think a position any of us would like to find ourselves or any of our family in.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

johnire wrote: »
    I just don’t see the point of organising a trip anywhere at the moment.
    If you’re going to a country that’s not on the Green List then you have the mandatory quarantine upon your return. If you do go to a Green List country then there’s always the risk it’ll be removed either before you depart or while you’re there.
    Then there’s the possibility of restrictions being imposed in the country you’re in-look what’s happening in Greece,Italy and France at the moment.
    To top it all what do you do if you’re unlucky enough to catch the virus whilst abroad? It’s most definitely is not I think a position any of us would like to find ourselves or any of our family in.

But there are a number of people who for whom working from home has become the norm. Therefore restricting their movements is not necessarily an issue when they return home.

Cases are increasing in the countries you have mentioned but provided you adhere to the rules you are very unlikely to catch anything. Everyone is different but I am sure there are plenty others like me that won't mind having a different type of holiday abroad this year i.e. for me this will be just relaxing by a beach with a good book, enjoying the sun on my back and having a beer.

I could be incredibly unlucky and catch Covid19, I could also catch some other disease. I could staycation on the west coast, again be incredibly unlucky and catch Covid19. I could text and walk simultaneously and get hit my a car... I could I could I could :) I will be in Spain in 3 days time and I cannot wait!

Edit: can everyone please stop using the phrase Mandatory Quarantine. Its not what we have in Ireland at any rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

That's the new Shannon terminal for when Shannon shuts down next year. They should build a third to replace Cork.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement