Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tazz T wrote: »
    That's the new Shannon terminal for when Shannon shuts down next year. They should build a third to replace Cork.

The future of Shannon is pretty grim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I take your points but what about all the British people that got caught up in France at the end of last week and Spain a couple of weeks ago?
    Mr.S wrote: »
    If rapid testing on arrival becomes the norm, the 14 day self-isolation could be removed with a negative result. 15 min saliva test has gotten FDA emergency use approval in the US, and other EU countries are implementing other tests for all arrivals into ports.

If that proves successful, then no need for a green list. Numbers would still be down, but travel could still happen relatively easily.

Certainly in Europe, there is little to no risk of getting trapped should things change, even rapidly. There was minor disruption back in March / April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gael23 wrote: »
    The future of Shannon is pretty grim

Very true, at the best of times it wasn't that busy, and now the only flights coming in and out regularly are the U.S troop flights, unsustainable...

johnire wrote: »
    I take your points but what about all the British people that got caught up in France at the end of last week and Spain a couple of weeks ago?

If their jobs were so essential and they knew the risk of these Green lists changing at short notice then they should have stayed home...
    Anyways I would say that like everything, the whole media storm was hyped up..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Any mention of a review of the Green List?
    Can't see any updates online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I intend to book flights as early as possible to avoid the last minute scramble and price hikes once people realize that nothing will be any different in 2021.

I'd imagine the majority of 2020 finger-waggers will have a road to Damascus moment regarding travel in the next 9 months when the penny starts to drop with them.

Fear of missing out mongering vs fear of contracting life changing illness mongering.

Each to their own I suppose.

I certainly wouldn't be rushing out to buy flights considering you won't get a refund if anything changes.

Lot's of people who weren't able to travel due to government restrictions are still out of pocket and are being given the run around by the airlines.

Ryanair to cut flights by 1/5th for the next 2 months.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-bookings-5177766-Aug2020/

Ireland’s isolationist Green List has failed to prevent this recent rise in Covid case rates, despite Ireland having the most restrictive travel quarantine of any EU country since 1 July last. This is in marked contrast to the performance of Italy, where the 14 day Covid case rate is less than half of Ireland’s, despite the fact that Italy has been open to EU travel and tourism since 1 July.
    Ryanair also said it is reducing flight numbers due to Ireland’s Green List travel guidance, which includes 14-day quarantine for visitors from most other EU countries.

The spokesman added: “We again call on the Irish Government to amend its Green List of travel counties to include those EU countries with lower or similar 14-day Covid case rates, most notably Germany whose Covid case rate is 25% lower than Ireland, and which will allow for some resumption of normal business and economic travel in September and October.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

johnire wrote: »
    I just don’t see the point of organising a trip anywhere at the moment.
    If you’re going to a country that’s not on the Green List then you have the mandatory quarantine upon your return.

Incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cabinpac315

Is everything open in the airport ? Bars are closed I'd imagine but shops and fast food etc are they all open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Is everything open in the airport ? Bars are closed I'd imagine but shops and fast food etc are they all open ?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Panthro wrote: »
    Any mention of a review of the Green List?
    Can't see any updates online.

It's due to be updated tomorrow. Germany will definitely be added, UK most likely will be too but Greece probably will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Flew out last Sunday, Dublin airport was quiet, flight had less than 50 with most wearing masks. Great outbound experience. Interestingly to have a pint in the airport you have to spend €9 on food also, crazy. Malaga Airport was deserted; Immigration in Malaga was a breeze, no queues and very well organised. Had installed the SpTH app and had the QR codes so flew through this process with temperatures checks. Had received multiple emails from Ryanair the day before the flight stating the Spanish government had mandated this and it was a prereq. Oddly enough idiots on the flight had not done it and had to fill in forms on arrival. We could see this while walking out with our luggage.
    From the plane door opening though immigration and health screening to hotel with taxi it was just under 50 minutes.
    Masks been worn by all in Spain, kids to but did see a few without, some being Irish. Felt very safe in Spain, was outdoor by pool/beach for majority of it and was following procedures of washing hands/ sanitising etc. while trying to maintain social distancing. We ate out most nights
    For return flight we did not receive emails from Ryanair about covid form (yes we knew) but obviously some people arriving did not. Flight had about 100 people I’d say
    Immigration was slowish with no social distancing and people scrambling to fill in forms and find pens. We had pen, don’t have a printer so did not complete before we left. There should be an app with QR codes if you want entry.
    Defo think it’s handled better by the Spanish
    Loved the holiday and glad we went. We are now restricting our movements.
    I see a number of airports now have this quick covid test, defo the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

Arrived back ourselves late Sunday 10pm ish from Lanza, glad we made call to go (booked January, no refunds coming our way from ryanair etc.) Really enjoyed it, 28 on flight over, 53 on return two weeks later, Resort very quite, not many about, like yourself Kev, mainly Beach/Pool, kept to ourselves, ate out everynight bar 1, if we did stay for a cocktail after
    dinner chose an outdoor terrace venue, felt very safe, Few places had been opened and closed while there, feel bad for
    some places business was so slow or non existant

From landing in Lanz to car hire and on road in less than 30mins had QR codes printed before arrival, same in Shannon re Irish Forms, had them printed out but left at home in error, at least with small numbers and time of flight, no one else at immigration and we where 1st group off plane

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ryanair to cut flights by 1/5th for the next 2 months.
    Ireland’s isolationist Green List has failed to prevent this recent rise in Covid case rates, despite Ireland having the most restrictive travel quarantine of any EU country since 1 July last.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-bookings-5177766-Aug2020/

By most restrictive you mean, everyone can fly everywhere and you must limit your movements when you return but nobody will check and there is no section if you don't? Sounds really tough.

In Italy you have to go for a test with in 72 hours of countries not on a green list. If you don't do this you get a 1500 euro fine and anyone who was in household must also stay home until test comes back.

https://twitter.com/TheLocalItaly/status/1294931910972628992?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

will have a road to Damascus moment regarding travel
    I was seriously looking at that right now, it’s only an 8 hour drive, although Baghdad is closer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Re: "Ryanair is reducing flight capacity by 20% in September and October due to a notable weakening of bookings over the last ten days."

I'm supposed to be flying this Friday to a non-green list country. Because of this I wasn't planning on going, and as the flights were booked months ago I don't have the "no flight change fee" option.

Just seeing that the return flight in September has now been removed from the booking engine (probably because of the above news), so the flight will most likely not be flying. Wondering if they will inform me about this before the planned outbound will be departing this Friday. Good chance for me now though to get a full refund/voucher for the booking (at least for the return flight in September).

Keep however an eye out if you're flying after this month with Ryanair, and have a look if the flight can still be bought. If not, it's most likely not departing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Wallander wrote: »
    It's due to be updated tomorrow. Germany will definitely be added, UK most likely will be too but Greece probably will be removed.

great news if the UK is added , no more long journeys home via Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Wallander wrote: »

I'm in Germany now, if they are added I can go straight back into the office as soon as I arrive home and not have to WFH for 2 weeks in Dublin. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Why do you have to travel home via Belfast?
    jonnny68 wrote: »
    great news if the UK is added , no more long journeys home via Belfast.

By most restrictive you mean, everyone can fly everywhere and you must limit your movements when you return but nobody will check and there is no section if you don't? Sounds really tough.
    In Italy you have to go for a test with in 72 hours of countries not on a green list. If you don't do this you get a 1500 euro fine and anyone who was in household must also stay home until test comes back

Yes it is...... it's a blanket requirement for a 14 day quarantine, so no tour companies, exchange students schools, can legally advise customers to not comply. No companies will send employee's in and tell them to ignore the Irish Govt. requirement. Most law abiding tourists into Ireland aren't quite as wise as you are so would be unwilling to break the rules of the land they want to travel to.

At least in Italy you can get a test and are free to travel then, in Ireland there's no such option.

As I've said in other posts, Ryanair will close bases here meaning less aircraft, less staff, and ultimately no cheap fares.... The age of being able to fly to Spain or Portugal for less than a return taxi fare from Dublin airport to Dame st. would be over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Yes it is...... it's a blanket requirement for a 14 day quarantine, so no tour companies, exchange students schools, can legally advise customers to not comply. No companies will send employee's in and tell them to ignore the Irish Govt. requirement. Most law abiding tourists into Ireland aren't quite as wise as you are so would be unwilling to break the rules of the land they want to travel to.

At least in Italy you can get a test and are free to travel then, in Ireland there's no such option.

As I've said in other posts, Ryanair will close bases here meaning less aircraft, less staff, and ultimately no cheap fares.... The age of being able to fly to Spain or Portugal for less than a return taxi fare from Dublin airport to Dame st. would be over.

Ryanair may well close its base in. Dublin and serve a limited number of flights from other bases. It could also move its HQ elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Ryanair to move their Dublin base into the UK, they mentioned it before. Well done ffg!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Ryanair to move their Dublin base into the UK
    Have you forgotten about BREXIT and its impact on aviation bilateral agreements ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Irish Kev wrote: »
    Flew out last Sunday, Dublin airport was quiet, flight had less than 50 with most wearing masks. Great outbound experience. Interestingly to have a pint in the airport you have to spend €9 on food also, crazy. Malaga Airport was deserted; Immigration in Malaga was a breeze, no queues and very well organised. Had installed the SpTH app and had the QR codes so flew through this process with temperatures checks. Had received multiple emails from Ryanair the day before the flight stating the Spanish government had mandated this and it was a prereq. Oddly enough idiots on the flight had not done it and had to fill in forms on arrival. We could see this while walking out with our luggage.
    From the plane door opening though immigration and health screening to hotel with taxi it was just under 50 minutes.
    Masks been worn by all in Spain, kids to but did see a few without, some being Irish. Felt very safe in Spain, was outdoor by pool/beach for majority of it and was following procedures of washing hands/ sanitising etc. while trying to maintain social distancing. We ate out most nights
    For return flight we did not receive emails from Ryanair about covid form (yes we knew) but obviously some people arriving did not. Flight had about 100 people I’d say
    Immigration was slowish with no social distancing and people scrambling to fill in forms and find pens. We had pen, don’t have a printer so did not complete before we left. There should be an app with QR codes if you want entry.
    Defo think it’s handled better by the Spanish
    Loved the holiday and glad we went. We are now restricting our movements.
    I see a number of airports now have this quick covid test, defo the way forward

Don't see why you are calling someone an idiot for not having the 'QR form' filled in already? You don't have to have it filled in already.. that's why the forms are there on the table..

I arrived in Malaga 3 weeks ago and filled in mine at the table once I arrived, 5 mins, no hassle...

So restrict movement doesn’t equal quarantine. I’m not worried about any of the groups you listed.

Irish citizens who booked holidays in advance as we do are more of a concern. If your choice is to miss out on two grand family holiday you are probably gonna go. If your ‘advised’ to stay home for two weeks ( ‘restrict movement’ ) and miss out on two weeks wages, then you are not really going to do it now are you?

Or rather there enough people in that bracket to cause the whole island a problem.
    This is a pandemic, nobody should be going abroad for a holiday. I’d say most wouldn’t but because there are no actual restrictions, they can’t get a refund. It’s a disgrace. Ryanair are a disgrace at this stage.
    Their bull**** PR at this stage is comical.

https://twitter.com/duffygerard/status/1295326369191264258?s=21

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1291365673906712578?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So restrict movement doesn’t equal quarantine. I’m not worried about any of the groups you listed.

Irish citizens who booked holidays in advance as we do are more of a concern. If your choice is to miss out on two grand family holiday you are probably gonna go. If your ‘advised’ to stay home for two weeks ( ‘restrict movement’ ) and miss out on two weeks wages, then you are not really going to do it now are you?

Or rather there enough people in that bracket to cause the whole island a problem.
    This is a pandemic, nobody should be going abroad for a holiday. I’d say most wouldn’t but because there are no actual restrictions, they can’t get a refund. It’s a disgrace. Ryanair are a disgrace at this stage.

Ryanair playing a blinder. They know theres enough people around that will lap up their nonsense and blame the big mean government....completly ignoring Ryanair's refusal to refund people because "its the governments fault."

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ryanair playing a blinder. They know theres enough people around that will lap up their nonsense and blame the big mean government....completly ignoring Ryanair's refusal to refund people because "its the governments fault."

People are idiots if they think that Ryanair should refund them because they have decided not to fly when flights are flying. What a nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

gral6 wrote: »
    People are idiots if they think that Ryanair should refund them because they have decided not to fly when flights are flying. What a nonsense!

Perfect. See what I mean? Saint Michael is the hero Ireland needs :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

This is opportunistic by Italy to assist Alitalia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The NPHET rhetoric is out of line with the rest of the EU so I think I will travel next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement