Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Apparently the passport office is processing passports according to other threads so you should be able to get passports. Insurance would never have covered you for not having valid passports anyway.

Your problem would appear to be that your flights haven't been cancelled and the country you're flying to will be open to tourists? Then you're probably in trouble somewhere in the fine print.

Ours have been in process since March. It's kids ones, so might be because they needed forms sent in with them?
    Yep, flights not cancelled, France open but place we going closed.
    I would have thought the fact we can't get passports might have helped, out if our hands.

Airline said today I can take a voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ours have been in process since March. It's kids ones, so might be because they needed forms sent in with them?
    Yep, flights not cancelled, France open but place we going closed.
    I would have thought the fact we can't get passports might have helped, out if our hands.

Airline said today I can take a voucher?

Normal times go out the window for kids' passports so it's anyone's guess when you'll get them. Insurance will never cover you for not having a passport - they'll say you shouldn't have booked without having them. No help to you now though.

There are about 10 threads about airline refunds - if you're happy to take the voucher go for it. There are various ways of pushing for cash depending on the airline otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Normal times go out the window for kids' passports so it's anyone's guess when you'll get them. Insurance will never cover you for not having a passport - they'll say you shouldn't have booked without having them. No help to you now though.

There are about 10 threads about airline refunds - if you're happy to take the voucher go for it. There are various ways of pushing for cash depending on the airline otherwise.

Ha, no we booked on dec 4th, so had the passport in date for 6 month at time of booking. Yeah will see, once I get a voucher it not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You can travel anywhere in the EU right up to the expiry of your passport.
    At present only emergency passports are been processed and you will have to jump through hoops to aquire one.
    My family and I had our flights cancelled due to covid-19 and our children's passports would have been expired for the rescheduled flights.
    Originally my children's passports would have expired two days after our original flights,no problem with that passport office said we could travel and they would forward passports to our new address because we're leaving the country.
    Flights got rescheduled so passports would have been out of date.
    With correspondence to the emergency travel line for covid-19 and then direct correspondence with the passport office.
    We had to reapply on line a second time.
    Then they deemed our case as none priority or an emergency.
    Even though it's a repatriation flight for my family although not due to covid-19 but due to family reasons pri covid-19..
    I contacted my local TD and lucky I recorded and saved all correspondence.
    Two days later my children's passports arrived.
    I received an email from the department of travel and foreign affairs with apologies for the confusion and misunderstanding of my circumstances as there was 3 different departments dealing with my case.
    Passport office is to resume online applications from next week and postal service the week after as stated by Simon Coveney in the dail during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

We were due to travel to Spain in July, Ryanair cancelled the flight and we lost our deposit on the apartment we had booked.

I used the cancelled flight to book a week at start of September, hope all will be well by then. The prices for accommodation where we are going are high season prices so demand must be high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A few days of weather like today might also focus the minds about staycations it not travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ZX7R wrote: »
    You can travel anywhere in the EU right up to the expiry of your passport.

All of EU isn't open to Irish yet is it? I thought we still have limited choices for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    All of EU isn't open to Irish yet is it? I thought we still have limited choices for the moment

I was referring to a person's passport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Time for me to go home, so off to the local airport for a 90 minute flight home as a passenger. The general rules that we have is that masks and gloves are mandatory, 60 seats in an A320, so half the seats blocked. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Anyone have any idea what Are Lingus is planning.

Flights to some of the holiday destinations (Naples, Gran Canaria, Athens, Rhodes) in July/August are showing as sold out, while there are cheap as chips flights available to the likes of Rome...

Are these really sold out, not running, or is Aer Lingus waiting to get certainty on these routes and then maximise revenues?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Anyone have any idea what Are Lingus is planning.

Flights to some of the holiday destinations (Naples, Gran Canaria, Athens, Rhodes) in July/August are showing as sold out, while there are cheap as chips flights available to the likes of Rome...

Are these really sold out, not running, or is Aer Lingus waiting to get certainty on these routes and then maximise revenues?

I was tipped off not to book anything with AL to holiday spots till late July. Nothing official yet though

faceman wrote: »
    I was tipped off not to book anything with AL to holiday spots till late July. Nothing official yet though

Cheers. Have something to one of these routes last week in July. Strange as some routes are open and others not. Considering having a back-up destination (can change if needed) as have enforced leave that week and want to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fox Mulder

I am an Irish citizen living in the UK at the moment. After being made redundant last week I was finding everything going on a bit too much and booked flights for the 12/06 to Dublin to see my girlfriend, I would be flying back 3 days later.

Are they letting non essential travel through Dublin airport? As you need to self isolate for 14 days I wasn't sure if I would be turned around at passport control as obviously I would be in contact with this one person I'm visiting? Does anyone have any experience of flying at the moment. I think I will try contacting the airport before hand but was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidance.

Fox Mulder wrote: »
    I am an Irish citizen living in the UK at the moment. After being made redundant last week I was finding everything going on a bit too much and booked flights for the 12/06 to Dublin to see my girlfriend, I would be flying back 3 days later.

Are they letting non essential travel through Dublin airport? As you need to self isolate for 14 days I wasn't sure if I would be turned around at passport control as obviously I would be in contact with this one person I'm visiting? Does anyone have any experience of flying at the moment. I think I will try contacting the airport before hand but was hoping someone might be able to offer some guidance.

You are required to provide an address where you are staying. No requirement to self-isolate but it is advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Fox Mulder wrote: »

You will be asked to provide an address where you plan to self-isolate.by the time they follow-up with you if they do,you will probably be back in the UK...
    They don’t ask you at passport control what the purpose of your visit is..
    Having gone through the process only last week,the guidance/recommendations are optics only (IMO)

Western Europe looking pricey for a long term stay (60-90 days)

Any signs that Slovenia and other parts of Eastern Europe will open to Ireland by mid July?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

main issue i see now thats its still a bit pointless to book any sun holidays, not much info on countries, imagine it will be possible to get to spain canaries etc soon, but not to feel like alien, best to give another month or so late august september still above perfect and hopefully numbers will be negilible to jump through stupid prevention steps that i imagine will add couple hours at airports, once places open up and kick off as normal then sure it will be worth the small risk either way.

scamalert wrote: »
    best to give another month or so late august september

That's my plan. Anyone traveling EU before then are basically guinea pigs

Best to let them work out all the kinks first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have an issue with destinations which are allowing the UK & Sweden travel to them. I know they are trying to make money, but while most of Europe has the virus under reasonable control these two countries seem to have it pretty rampant - and as a tourist I'm likely to be mixing with them which makes me uncomfortable.

I'd like to know more about airports, and what they're doing to alleviate congestion and indoor crowding. I've no concerns about planes themselves, the filtration systems look pretty good. I'd pay more to go somewhere with a bigger, less chaotic airport.

I'd also take a lot of comfort booking if I knew I would be looked after if things go south. Some friends got caught up in a nightmare trying to travel back from the Canaries in March when this all kicked off.

In general if we do go travelling this year, we'll be spending more than usual to feel a bit safer. There could be an interesting opportunity for travel agents.

hmmm wrote: »
    I have an issue with destinations which are allowing the UK & Sweden travel to them

That's a good point actually

But isn't Ireland wide open to British travelers even today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My wife and I are going over to Ireland in the middle of August for two weeks. Flights were €100 return so even if it all goes haywire, we're not missing out on a large amount. Any idea what touristy stuff will be up and running?

My family have a home down in Kerry so we're looking to spend a few days down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

My flights to Lanzarote at the start of July have increased in price from €128 to €350, and all other Aer Lingus flights to Lanzarote have increased in price. Demand is obviously rising.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I'm going to see what the government announce in terms of the 14 day isolation. Seriously considering going to Portugal mid August, I did look up staycation options but the prices were crazy with no guarantee of good weather. I like the idea of Portugal, sea, eating outside etc. Worry of course is airport, other tourists from badly hit areas. I will hold for now and see how things are looking in 6 weeks, will be interesting to see how people get on.

pc7 wrote: »
    I'm going to see what the government announce in terms of the 14 day isolation. Seriously considering going to Portugal mid August, I did look up staycation options but the prices were crazy with no guarantee of good weather. I like the idea of Portugal, sea, eating outside etc. Worry of course is airport, other tourists from badly hit areas. I will hold for now and see how things are looking in 6 weeks, will be interesting to see how people get on.

You could do an overnight ferry to Spain, and then drive down. Limits your interaction with others while travelling. And driving through both Spain/Portugal can be quite enjoyable. It's a long trip though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You could do an overnight ferry to Spain, and then drive down. Limits your interaction with others while travelling. And driving through both Spain/Portugal can be quite enjoyable. It's a long trip though.

Oh never thought of that, will take a look, kids are quite young but could be an option, thank you. Could be an adventure :)

pc7 wrote: »
    Oh never thought of that, will take a look, kids are quite young but could be an option, thank you. Could be an adventure :)

I did it two years ago. Ferry itself was an adventure since I hadn't been on one since I was a kid. Pluses/negatives but it's an experience for everyone involved. But sea travel can be gorgeous, especially if you get a nice sunrise/sunset. Also the countryside through Spain is really beautiful. Usually good roads, and service stations. I took one night to camp in Spain (book ahead and they'll often provide the tents/equipment), to just break up the travel. I think many of us have forgotten that camping can be really enjoyable if you get the right weather/location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Does anyone know when I'd be able to travel to England? I'm looking to go over for a car in the next few months. I'd get the ferry over and back.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Look at this list of countries and pretty much all of them have tighter control of what countries they're allowing in compared to Ireland

https://www.kayak.com/travel-restrictions

Why is this?

Political?

A "sure it'll be grand" goverment?

It's not good enough

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The land border with Spain is closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement