Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Limpy wrote: »
    I've a few more holidays booked off in late September. Estonia and Latvia seem to be doing well, I will go there. It's nice and sunny over that part of world at the moment.

Anyone stay in any clean hostels in those countries lately?

Been to Tallinn and Riga both lovely places and easy got around. Hotels are relatively inexpensive compared to Ireland. Wife would kill me if I booked a hostel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

VG31 wrote: »
    People travelling from Ireland have to self-isolate in Estonia and Latvia now.

Is this confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Limpy wrote: »
    I've a few more holidays booked off in late September. Estonia and Latvia seem to be doing well, I will go there. It's nice and sunny over that part of world at the moment.

Anyone stay in any clean hostels in those countries lately?

Hi, havent stayed in a hostel in eastern europe, but just back from a week ins Scotland and stayed in a hostel, with the covid malarkey, we didnt have to share a bathroom and we had a room to ourselves, worked a treat, kitchen and common area was closed, but we sat outside and cooked a BBQ..was perfect.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Hi, all, thought I'd share my experience, just back from an amazing week in Scotland, went by Ferry via belfast to cairnryan and back down south to home, not one mention or question about covid either side. Wore mask on boat. Less tourists, less queues, better hygiene. People are maintaining the rules, mask, SD, etc without the screaming yellow signs everywhere.. people were friendly and welcoming. All bars open, but we didn't go to them, ate outside cafes, or fish n chips at the piers..visited attractions like castles, and there our temps were checked and sanitizer and masks etc

We wild camped most of the trip, I isolated more over there than at home, my teenage son would definitely be mixing with more people at home..

Everyone looks for something different from a holiday, but if its not feeling safe is the reason to question a break away, I would say just go.. and use the common sense approach.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, no surprises!

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0819/1160066-ryanair-wants-germany-on-green-list-for-business-travel/

Ryanair's Michael O'Leary said the airline is "looking at job losses and winter layoffs in Ireland", as a result of poor bookings here compared to other European countries.
    Speaking on RTÉ's Drivetime, the group's CEO said bookings have fallen "down by certainly 50%" as a result of the National Public Health Emergency Team's "mismanagement of the situation". It said countries such as Germany and Italy, who have an effective test and trace regime, have successfully managed the return of flights between other European countries.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

VG31 wrote: »

Cheers, id say after the meet factories are sorted the number will drop. In about 5 weeks hopefully.

Noraos i wouldn't stay in a multiple dorm, unless it was with a load of blonde eastern European women.

Many have single rooms and private bathrooms. The craic in hostel's is good. I'l be leaving here to feel like on Holidays as most people in hostel's do. Topic of conversation (Feck Covid) Na zdrovia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,580 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Spain high again in cases

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Another fantastic airport experience today. Id thoroughly recommend getting away if you have the means during this, no queues, plenty of room even on ryanair, cheap prices.
    Bloody great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Spain high again in cases

yep. I'm in Spain at the moment. There are barely any cases in the tourist areas like Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca etc but more restrictions have been introduced, but tbh it's more like they're bringing in more restrictions to avoid having a second lockdown.

bars and restaurants close at 1am now instead of 2 am and no smoking outside in public,only if you can distance yourself 2m from people.

Other than that it still feels extremely safe here, busy around, everyone respecting the restrictions, wearing masks, having a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Another fantastic airport experience today. Id thoroughly recommend getting away if you have the means during this, no queues, plenty of room even on ryanair, cheap prices.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going abroad in 2020 to do so now, the number of cheap flights will reduce dramatically along with the frequency of service over the winter months...And will no doubt have a lingering effect into 2021...

Ryanair can and will take crews and aircraft out of Ireland, they've done it before in other countries.
    This will make any attempt at restarting the Tourism and Hospitality sector a waste of time by the state.
    One of the key reasons for multinationals to setup bases here is the fact that we're a gateway to Europe, remove the transport links to an island and that island has to rely solely on it's own domestic tourism and industry, as well as labour force to staff companies...When that goes then watch the unemployment rate skyrocket...
    “We’re trying to prevent or avoid hundreds of pilot and cabin crew job losses in Ireland," he said.

"Our bookings to and from Ireland are collapsing - that puts it too strong - are being very badly damaged in September and October. Bookings in Italy and Spain are strong. Bookings in all the other EU countries where business is going back to normal are fine. They are weaker than they’d normally be," he said.

"We are a pan-European airline. We have this one country in Europe, following this bizarre and unique non-medical quarantine, where our business is being crushed.”
    https://www.independent.ie/business/ryanair-being-crushed-by-14-day-quarantine-oleary-39463014.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s what I find difficult to understand-if it’ feels so safe what’s happening that cases are soaring again?
    yep. I'm in Spain at the moment. There are barely any cases in the tourist areas like Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca etc but more restrictions have been introduced, but tbh it's more like they're bringing in more restrictions to avoid having a second lockdown.

bars and restaurants close at 1am now instead of 2 am and no smoking outside in public,only if you can distance yourself 2m from people.

Other than that it still feels extremely safe here, busy around, everyone respecting the restrictions, wearing masks, having a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

johnire wrote: »
    That’s what I find difficult to understand-if it’ feels so safe what’s happening that cases are soaring again?

It is a big country and is region specific.

Despite what some are saying here, the evidence is that only a small percentage of cases here are related to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

They have been asking themselves the same question over the past week in the Spanish press. Particularly as they have gone so heavy on the public mask wearing.

Few reasons, the first of which is not too dissimilar to here.

1. Pre-teens, teens and some younger people still do not see Covid as a big deal. Added to this they allowed nightclubs open ( since reversed)

2. Another similarity to here is the workplaces etc.

3. Masks are everywhere but once you get to a family event, even a simple family dinner it's bye bye mask (obviously) problem is that a Sunday dinner in Spain lasts for several hours and includes lots of people. Spanish people are touchy feely :) with family. Only takes one weak link to pass the virus around.

4. Numbers are indeed high but F me they are testing tonnes of people. More than half do not have symptoms.

I'm a married man and won't be getting close to anyone on my holiday... I feel perfectly safe going there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I’m off this weekend and the following one as well with some remote working from home in between. The flights are so cheap. Staying with a friend for this weekend.

Question, on my return I am flying into the UK on a Ryanair flight and after a few hours back to Ireland. My flight into the UK will be from an EU country that is on their quarantine list. Do I have to fill out the UK locator form or is there a transit option?

All in all I have about 4 hours between flights, not connecting ones, so I’ll clear passport and customs before eventually returning through security to board my next flight home.

This will be my second trip with a green list one done already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Unlike Italy which is also experiencing a surge which is as a result of people returning from holidays in Greece Spain Malta and Croatia. It must be soul destroying for the Italians considering what they’ve been through.
    It is a big country and is region specific.

Despite what some are saying here, the evidence is that only a small percentage of cases here are related to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

Unlike Italy which is also experiencing a surge which is as a result of people returning from holidays in Greece Spain Malta and Croatia. It must be soul destroying for the Italians considering what they’ve been through.

Once people start living a surge of some sort is inevitable. You could say soul destroying in Spain too as they've had pretty much the same as Italy but now they're embracing life, at all ages.

But, in my two trips to Spain this summer I found the vast majority to be very responsible. Masks on, distancing, sanitising, all that. But to go back to my first point, the virus is still out there. And unless people are going to hide under their beds, surges are inevitable.

We have to find some accommodation with this thing unless a vaccine gets life back to the way it was. If we don't, living will be hardly be worth living. Some of you might be ok with that but many of us are very much not.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Quarantine the vunerable. Open up so our economy can survive. Give any vunerable people an early state pension so they don't have to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

because Spain is a huge country.

Most of the spikes are up north in other regions. So naturally they are re introducing measures everywhere to try avoid a full on lockdown.

It's honestly like any other year here, apart from much less English people around and of course the masks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

John boy do you ever get sick of playing the same tune? I think I was last on this thread in June and you were coming out with some hilarious lines then as well.

People are traveling and having a great time. There’s no denying it’s a great time to travel if you feel safe to do so. Get over it Johno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Probably because the virus is invisible and feeling safe isn’t the same as being safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Probably because it's bullish!t. It is certainly worse in other non touristy areas but it's everywhere.
    CORONAVIRUS IN COSTA DEL SOL AND ANDALUCIA

Costa del Sol (health district) has recorded 332 cases in the last week and a total of 1.985 positive tests since the start of the Coronavirus pandemic.

Confirmed cases that required hospital admission in Costa del Sol (health district) in the last week number 8, the total admissions for the pandemic is 346. Confirmed cases that required intensive care admission in Andalucia in last week was 0, the total for the pandemic is 38.

Costa del Sol (health district) has recorded 45 deaths, 1 in the last week.
    • Estepona has recorded 48 cases in the last week, those with symptoms numbered 4. There have been 201 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Estepona has recorded 4 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last 14 days.
    • Marbella has recorded 167 cases in the last week , those with symptoms numbered 40. There have been 940 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Marbella has recorded 15 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last 14 days.
    • Mijas has recorded 24 cases in the last week, those with symptoms numbered 7. There have been 174 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Mijas has recorded 4 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last week.
    • Fuengirola has recorded 22 cases in the last week, those with symptoms numbered 10. There have been 165 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Fuengirola has recorded 3 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last 14 days.
    • Benalmadena has recorded 32 cases in the last week, those with symptoms numbered 6. There have been 239 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Benalmadena has recorded 11 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last 7 days.
    • Torremolinos has recorded 12 cases in the last week, those with symptoms numbered 2. There have been 208 cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Torremolinos has recorded 8 deaths since the start of the pandemic, none in the last week.

Here's Andalusia. Average age of person contracting it is 40 which is leading to very little hospitalisation. If you are older I'd be concerned though.
    523571.png
    https://www.andalucia.com/health/coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Switzerland has expanded its green list to include non European countries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I wouldn't call the numbers in Italy a surge, it's more of a trickle upwards. Their numbers per 100k are still well under half of ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Italy is 10.3 and we are 25. Yes they have had an increase but soul destroying no.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Looks like the UK is close to moving to the German model of rapid testing instead of quarantine. Facilities already in place at Heathrow for it:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/19/heathrow-rapid-covid-test-centre-could-replace-quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Remember when a "surge" used to mean a rising wave of hospitalisations and icu admissions?

Now its used to describe relatively small amount of mostly asymptomatic positive PCR tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Remember when a "surge" used to mean a rising wave of hospitalisations and icu admissions?

Now its used to describe relatively small amount of mostly asymptomatic positive PCR tests.

The narrative has to change because of the tiny numbers of deaths and hospitalisations.

The fear mongering is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The narrative has to change because of the tiny numbers of deaths and hospitalisations.

The fear mongering is pathetic.

its anti scientific above all else.

Great interview with a Spanish doctor who dismantles the fear narrative that the news media are endlessly propagating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFa9JHMFO9s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement