Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So, domestic tourism also being blamed for a surge of Infections at popular Staycation destinations.
    Donegal and Kerry, which have welcomed a flock of home holidaymakers on domestic getaways, are now seeing a rise in cases of Covid-19.

Some 54 cases of the virus were reported yesterday - following a toll of 190 the previous day - amid growing fears that the country is at risk of a sustained resurgence.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/cases-up-nationwide-as-staycation-spots-are-hit-by-covid-39464109.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

The narrative has to change because of the tiny numbers of deaths and hospitalisations.

The fear mongering is pathetic.

What do you think the motive would be for this exactly? Why would the government want to harm their own economy for the sake of fear mongering?

I mean surely it's obvious to anyone who isn't completely mathematically illiterate that if you allow it to continue growing at the current pace without trying to curb it then there will be many more deaths, just as there were previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    So, domestic tourism also being blamed for a surge of Infections at popular Staycation destinations.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/cases-up-nationwide-as-staycation-spots-are-hit-by-covid-39464109.html

Haha I just continue to be amazed at people who take the covid narrative seriously, it is entirely devoid of scientific considerations and full of hypocrisies. Foreign travel is bad, staycations are good, put on the green jersey etc, now they are turning on those that staycationed while ignoring meat plants! When I'm back from my nice break in Germany (it is a bit hot for me, nearly hitting 30 every day), I am curious to see if people at home I talk to are still worried about covid or if they are frustrated with the painfully slow reopening as the narrative has definitely shifted in online comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

quokula wrote: »
    What do you think the motive would be for this exactly? Why would the government want to harm their own economy for the sake of fear mongering?

I mean surely it's obvious to anyone who isn't completely mathematically illiterate that if you allow it to continue growing at the current pace without trying to curb it then there will be many more deaths, just as there were previously.

The Government are cowards.

They would rather hide behind the "recommendations" from NPHET than risk making a decision themselves that they could be blamed for.

They are all well protected with gold plated salaries and pensions. They have little skin in the game and the billions they are flushing away is our tax euros.

They will swan off to cushy numbers at the end of this and we will be left to pick up the pieces of a devestaed economy.

We are witnessing the greatest act of political cowardice and abdication of responsibility I have ever seen.

It's criminal and by the time lads like yourself wake up to the reality of what is happening, it will already be too late.

It won't continue to grow. We have solid data on recorded positive cases published daily with a full breakdown of the numbers infected, hospitalised and in ICU split between age groups. This is published by the HPSC

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/

The median age of cases is lower than it was before, but look at this particular data set and see how low the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths are below the age of 65. It is important to note these are the most conservative figures possible as there are likely to be far more cases of covid in the country than we have actually recorded. Some estimates say 6 to 10 times the recorded positives, which means a death rate of 0.11% is actually 0.02% (25 to 34 years age group) or 1 in 5000 in this age group will die "with" covid. It is also possible that many more people are immune to covid for different reasons. Acknowledging all of this leads to a conclusion that covid is not that harmful.

• Advertisement

Haha I just continue to be amazed at people who take the covid narrative seriously, it is entirely devoid of scientific considerations and full of hypocrisies. Foreign travel is bad, staycations are good, put on the green jersey etc, now they are turning on those that staycationed while ignoring meat plants! When I'm back from my nice break in Germany (it is a bit hot for me, nearly hitting 30 every day), I am curious to see if people at home I talk to are still worried about covid or if they are frustrated with the painfully slow reopening as the narrative has definitely shifted in online comments.

It's just more confusion.... You can go abroad, come back, no medical quarantine, but it is a quarantine, go aboard but avoid all non-essential travel, what's essential what isn't... can I get a PCR test at the airport?
    Stay home, boost the economy, but don't mix with others outside your bubble, we'll give you a tax break but not until the winter season...

What will happen with this narrative by the NPHET is that you'll have locals in Donegal, Kerry etc. turning against Staycationers and closing doors to them, not mixing with them and generally not making domestic tourists made to feel welcome...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

This is just my opinion, but I think our health system cannot cope with any re surge in hospital cases, they are not protecting the people of this country, not one bit, they are protecting themselves as to not highlight the failures of our health system. As a result of our health system, people would not survive as we may not have enough beds, so rather than address this, they lock us up (I know I am being dramatic here) to prevent the spread, I dont for one minute believe its for us the people and to save lives or for concern for us.. given the cover ups and shambles of the smear tests scandal.- they dont care.

If it there was genuine care for the people, there would be alot more help and resources given to the vulnerable ie elderly, sick, DP refugess, who cramped in together, the factories highlight the shambles of the working environment and lack of sick pay/ rights etc., the cases in DP highlight the conditions there, but yet here we have articles, blaming and almost shaming people for taking a break!

This is transferring and shifting blame to the people rather than addressing and correcting the underlying issues here. Something which neither podge or rodge in the current government are capable of doing.

Yes, us people need to wash our hands, SD distance and work together to prevent spread, but there needs to be transparency on the case numbers and details of these cases. Just numbers dont tell us anything and can be scary for alot of people. I know people that have reverted back to the fear of March/April. This is not good for people, heading into a long dark winter. So i would agree that this is putting fear into people, more information will help people.

There are 2 ways to get people to do what you want, either they work with our out of fear, or they work with you out of respect, our government is using fear, as they know they dont have respect.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It won't continue to grow. We have solid data on recorded positive cases published daily with a full breakdown of the numbers infected, hospitalised and in ICU split between age groups. This is published by the HPSC

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/

The median age of cases is lower than it was before, but look at this particular data set and see how low the numbers of hospitalisations and deaths are below the age of 65. It is important to note these are the most conservative figures possible as there are likely to be far more cases of covid in the country than we have actually recorded. Some estimates say 6 to 10 times the recorded positives, which means a death rate of 0.11% is actually 0.02% (25 to 34 years age group) or 1 in 5000 in this age group will die "with" covid. It is also possible that many more people are immune to covid for different reasons. Acknowledging all of this leads to a conclusion that covid is not that harmful.

When will this nonsense end.

noraos wrote: »
    This is transferring and shifting blame to the people rather than addressing and correcting the underlying issues here. Something which neither podge or rodge in the current government are capable of doing.
    There are 2 ways to get people to do what you want, either they work with our out of fear, or they work with you out of respect, our government is using fear, as they know they dont have respect.

Well exactly, deflect, confuse, obfuscate, blame Foreign travel, blame domestic travel, blame D2 Berlin bar...
    But don't blame the Govt. for running an inefficient unaccountable health service or undemocratic Nphet committee running the country....

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Well exactly, deflect, confuse, obfuscate, blame Foreign travel, blame domestic travel, blame D2 Berlin bar...
    But don't blame the Govt. for running an inefficient unaccountable health service or undemocratic Nphet committee running the country....

Or don't blame them for the 1000 deaths in care homes

• Advertisement

fm wrote: »
    Or don't blame them for the 1000 deaths in care homes

If you worked at a well funded health clinic/hospital and were a medical professional responsible for signing out an elderly patient back into a care home without testing for Covid and that person then went on to spread Covid throughout that Care home, would you expect to lose your job or end up in prison or both... Or would you expect just to carry on as normal?.....

Instead of holding those people responsible for the 1000 dead old people they blame Travel, blame pubs, blame house parties....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Wallander wrote: »
    Looks like the UK is close to moving to the German model of rapid testing instead of quarantine. Facilities already in place at Heathrow for it:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/19/heathrow-rapid-covid-test-centre-could-replace-quarantine

Makes sense on many levels. Not a silver bullet but better than the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

If you worked at a well funded health clinic/hospital and were a medical professional responsible for signing out an elderly patient back into a care home without testing for Covid and that person then went on to spread Covid throughout that Care home, would you expect to lose your job or end up in prison or both... Or would you expect just to carry on as normal?.....

Instead of holding those people responsible for the 1000 dead old people they blame Travel,
    blame pubs, blame house parties....

Only yesterday the nursing homes were asking for mandatory testing for any new residents, I mean wtf? How obvious is that? And the hse haven't made it so yet?

The media is this country are soft as ****, the sooner they call the government out the better and the public might realise who really is to blame, and its not the house parties, bars or travel

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Only yesterday the nursing homes were asking for mandatory testing for any new residents, I mean wtf? How obvious is that? And the hse haven't made it so yet?

The media is this country are soft as ****, the sooner they call the government out the better and the public might realise who really is to blame, and its not the house parties, bars or travel

HSE is more obsessed with advices about on-line sex, masturbation and masks duing intercourse. What a crowd of uselles idiots

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is the way forward in the immediate future. Rapid test everyone on arrival into all ports unless they have an exemption (cargo workers, negative travel cert etc) and get rid of 14 days quarantine which isn't practical in the long term, especially when no one is enforcing it.
    Refusal to take a test = not allowed enter the state.
    No doubt the tests will get better and quicker as the months progress.

It's not perfect but anything is better than imposing a 2 week quarantine, it just can't continue if we want to avoid the coming loss of thousands of jobs over the next 6 months...

Blame the Airports, ports and the Staycationers...

The Care homes wanted tests when it would have saved 100's of lives..

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself I can’t wait to travel, myself I hope the country I won’t to go to let’s me in otherwise it’s the plan b country that will leave me in. Plan a country was booked last year

For 140 euros a night (this is at the extremely costly end for this country) I get a Villa with my own pool in a 5 star hotel with breakfast brought to my villa daily, I get my own butler as well and I also get my own driver and unlimited free mini bar. You be lucky to get a room in a 3 star in Kerry for 140 euros a night.

A meal at must is 25 euros for 2 as well and this is in the fine dining in the hotel !!!!

And I have 30 plus degrees everyday!!!

I will be getting a Covid test before I enter this country paid for by myself and I will follow the guidelines and not leave my house for 14 days. I will also be working from home like I normally do now.

Also I have no issues wearing a mask, any time I am in my local city I have a mask on at all times !!!

I am counting down the days and I can’t wait to head away and I don’t care for the crap our gov are saying to us as none of it makes any sense !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Myself I can’t wait to travel, myself I hope the country I won’t to go to let’s me in otherwise it’s the plan b country that will leave me in. Plan a country was booked last year

For 140 euros a night (this is at the extremely costly end for this country) I get a Villa with my own pool in a 5 star hotel with breakfast brought to my villa daily, I get my own butler as well and I also get my own driver and unlimited free mini bar. You be lucky to get a room in a 3 star in Kerry for 140 euros a night.

A meal at must is 25 euros for 2 as well and this is in the fine dining in the hotel !!!!

I will be getting a Covid test before I enter this country paid for by myself and I will follow the guidelines and not leave my house for 14 days. I will also be working from home like I normally do now.

Also I have no issues wearing a mask, any time I am in my local city I have a mask on at all times !!!

I am counting down the days and I can’t wait to head away and I don’t care for the crap our gov are saying to us as none of it makes any sense !!!

If our government got their act together and had PCR testing at our airports it would negate the necessity to voluntarily 14 day Quarantine. Back in April Dubai and Abu Dhabi had 4 hour turn around testing at their airports....APRIL ! and in Ireland nothing 4 months later . Laughable incompetence

Hoboo wrote: »
    When will this nonsense end.

I agree. Early October is my guess so the pubs will be hopping in the run up to Christmas!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

The Government are cowards.

They would rather hide behind the "recommendations" from NPHET than risk making a decision themselves that they could be blamed for.

They are all well protected with gold plated salaries and pensions. They have little skin in the game and the billions they are flushing away is our tax euros.

They will swan off to cushy numbers at the end of this and we will be left to pick up the pieces of a devestaed economy.

We are witnessing the greatest act of political cowardice and abdication of responsibility I have ever seen.

It's criminal and by the time lads like yourself wake up to the reality of what is happening, it will already be too late.

Another regurgitated dose of hysterical ranting anti authority nonsense from you. The usual suspects are probably lapping it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My mate just sent me a video of him on his hotel balcony in Rhodes. I AM NOT JEALOUS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The place we had planned to go to in France next week has had two cases of the virus this week. Those are the first cases in the town. It is a fairly small and self-contained place but gets very densely populated during the summer with tourists, many of whom stay for weeks or months in holiday apartments or on a camp site.

The two cases are from an employee in a supermarket and another in a hotel, both of whom would have interacted with a lot of people. It is tough decision but we decided not to go. It doesn't seem wise to travel to such a place where the impact of those two cases is not yet known. They could have potentially infected many more people.

I just saw on Facebook that someone tested positive after arriving home from visiting this place, so I made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

Wow that sounds like paradise, good on you :pac:

Could I ask where it is as that kind of value is really fantastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,957 ✭✭✭✭josip

acequion wrote: »
    Wow that sounds like paradise, good on you :pac:

Could I ask where it is as that kind of value is really fantastic?

Possibly Bali

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Feria40 wrote: »
    I'm a married man and won't be getting close to anyone on my holiday

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me when I got married too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Blame the Airports, ports and the Staycationers...

The Care homes wanted tests when it would have saved 100's of lives..

Do you work for an airline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Any update on the green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DazC98

Any update on the green list?

Doesn’t look like it. Looks like it may just stay as is for the foreseeable future

EDIT - Never mind, it was updated today, there’s now a bit more info for travellers going to Finland, Latvia, Lithuania and Norway, regarding possible restrictions on entry in them countries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Currently in Prague (third day so still more than a week ahead)

Omg I feel liberated from all that drama that's happening in Ireland!!!

I am absolutely shocked when I see the difference here and what's happening back home. It's all so chill here, few subtle blue or green signs here and there. No drama with all those yellow signs everywhere. Plexiglass only in supermarkets or swimming pools but other than that nothing. Social distancing, what the hell is that?? :D ... nobody tells me to use hand sanitizer, there's nothing like one way system anywhere. Everything is just normal.

I need to find a beer garden with some foreigners, ideally living here long term, to find out more..

But I am so fkin happy I don't have to be in that absolutely mad country for a while. Now there's something in the news about some golf dinner... Laughable! People went totally stupid over this thing, it's not sustainable long term, no way.

Somebody needs to sue the s"*t out of the government for all that crazy stuff they are doing!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING BEHAVIOUR, and all the sheep that follow this idiotic government. Just look at some of the comments on Facebook calling for closing the borders etc. INSANE!

pictures for attention, suckers hahaha :)))) I'm thinking about staying as long as possible!!!

Covid-Is-Bull-Shiit-And-You-Are-Being-Conned.jpg

20200821-134508.jpg

• Advertisement

They look reasonable spread out on the green to be fair

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement