Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

They look reasonable spread out on the green to be fair

Social distancing is non existent here. You come across dozens and dozens of people daily, that are closer than 2m to you. ... Everyone is cool, no drama.

I just saw on Facebook that someone tested positive after arriving home from visiting this place, so I made the right call.

Well if Facebook says so............

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Social distancing is non existent here. You come across dozens and dozens of people daily, that are closer than 2m to you. ... Everyone is cool, no drama.

well I can only go by the image you posted. Is there a reason why the country in question has suddenly abandoned social norms and is now standing side by side with strangers instead of spacing out?

well I can only go by the image you posted. Is there a reason why the country in question has suddenly abandoned social norms and is now standing side by side with strangers instead of spacing out?

because they moved on apparently?

No social distancing whatsoever.

There might be a topless girl (or girls) in the pic, so delete it if you find them, I didn't check... they were everywhere..

Snapchat-1498651676.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

No social distancing whatsoever.

There might be a topless girl (or girls) in the pic, so delete it if you find them, I didn't check... they were everywhere..

We'll need a better quality pic to check properly for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I don't see any grey hair in that photo, a positive.

Need a higher quality photo though for the topless girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Currently in Prague (third day so still more than a week ahead)

Omg I feel liberated from all that drama that's happening in Ireland!!!

I am absolutely shocked when I see the difference here and what's happening back home. It's all so chill here, few subtle blue or green signs here and there. No drama with all those yellow signs everywhere. Plexiglass only in supermarkets or swimming pools but other than that nothing. Social distancing, what the hell is that?? :D ... nobody tells me to use hand sanitizer, there's nothing like one way system anywhere. Everything is just normal.

I need to find a beer garden with some foreigners, ideally living here long term, to find out more..

But I am so fkin happy I don't have to be in that absolutely mad country for a while. Now there's something in the news about some golf dinner... Laughable! People went totally stupid over this thing, it's not sustainable long term, no way.

Somebody needs to sue the s"*t out of the government for all that crazy stuff they are doing!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING BEHAVIOUR, and all the sheep that follow this idiotic government. Just look at some of the comments on Facebook calling for closing the borders etc. INSANE!

pictures for attention, suckers hahaha :)))) I'm thinking about staying as long as possible!!!

Covid-Is-Bull-Shiit-And-You-Are-Being-Conned.jpg

20200821-134508.jpg

I totally agree with the feeling of being liberated, before I went on my holidays I was actually sick in my tummy from nerves.

My neighbours have an event organised and it has been commented that I would not be attending as I am to self isolate! And one has spoken to me since I am back. My sons father is not taking his son to his house as we were away...my son is perfectly ok with this, he didnt see him for 3 months during lockdown. I knew I was gonna face this crap when I came home. My son enjoyed every minute of our trip and says it was worth it too.

The break from the absolute sh*te over here was well and truly worth it. And if I could afford it , I'd fec off next week again!

Enjoy every moment of your trip, and stay as long as you can.. ! 😊

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I am absolutely shocked when I see the difference here and what's happening back home. It's all so chill here, few subtle blue or green signs here and there. No drama with all those yellow signs everywhere. Plexiglass only in supermarkets or swimming pools but other than that nothing. Social distancing, what the hell is that?? :D ... nobody tells me to use hand sanitizer, there's nothing like one way system anywhere. Everything is just normal.

I need to find a beer garden with some foreigners, ideally living here long term, to find out more..

But I am so fkin happy I don't have to be in that absolutely mad country for a while. Now there's something in the news about some golf dinner... Laughable! People went totally stupid over this thing, it's not sustainable long term, no way.

Somebody needs to sue the s"*t out of the government for all that crazy stuff they are doing!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING BEHAVIOUR, and all the sheep that follow this idiotic government. Just look at some of the comments on Facebook calling for closing the borders etc. INSANE!

pictures for attention, suckers hahaha :)))) I'm thinking about staying as long as possible!!!

Covid-Is-Bull-Shiit-And-You-Are-Being-Conned.jpg

20200821-134508.jpg

Look at that beer.

Get yourself to Stalin Hill, Might go myself in the next few weeks

Look at that beer.

Get yourself to Stalin Hill, Might go myself in the next few weeks

Very tasty, nothing like that Heineken type of stuff that's in Ireland. It's soooo much nicer. You can tell there's a lot less chemicals in this. It's fresh, crispy and just gorgeous naturally tasting beer. I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Best city in the world imo. It's delicious stuff. I love the dark beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Very tasty, nothing like that Heineken type of stuff that's in Ireland. It's soooo much nicer. You can tell there's a lot less chemicals in this. It's fresh, crispy and just gorgeous naturally tasting beer. I love it.

It looks like you got the "tourist pint", though.

Still looks lovely, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Polar101 wrote: »
    It looks like you got the "tourist pint", though.

Still looks lovely, enjoy!

They sell that particular beer with different size heads. The largest head almost all the 'pint' glass is called a 'snit'. It's weird how the different size heads make the beer taste different . Lovely beer though, sitting on a terrace over looking the Charles bridge sipping one is my idea of heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

[/img]

I've been to Malta and Krakow during this thing and can only agree with the above.

Its not non-existent, the staff in most places are wearing masks for example, but that's pretty much it. Hotel had hand sanitiser.

The main difference is there isn't a constant state of anxiety in the air, being pushed at you through every broadcasting medium and tutting curtain twitches.

It actually takes a while to get used to after coming from Dublin, you need a day or two to shake it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Interesting last few posts here

I randomly watched a travel vlogger on Youtube taking a wander around a beautiful town in Croatia a few days back. Very busy streets, very little mask wearing (he was outdoors in fairness) and everyone just getting on with (and doing their best to enjoy) their lives

I then read the reports here of other countries and places like Prague and it's a similar theme to the above

And then you have Ireland; from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed you are bombarded by the media with constant Covid negativity

Yet, the countries mentioned by other posters above have rising cases like Ireland too. So something does not compute

Either:

A) The above countries will be savaged by April type numbers in coming weeks because of their more casual approach

Or

B)The Irish government (and by turns, the media) are forcing us into a constant state of unnecessary stress and fear. The government are doing it to cover their recent, very serious, missteps. And the media are doing it for clicks and $$ (although I believe certain large media outlets are just mouthpieces for the government too)

When you compare the atmosphere in Ireland to many countries in the EU, it's all a bit strange tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I thought that when I went to France recently but then I remembered they go by the WHO recommended 1m distance and not the randomer 2m distance we have here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Mr.S wrote: »
    To be fair, walk around Dublin City Centre and it's the same. It's not like everyone is hiding indoors. Great buzz around the city the last few weekends with the pedestrian streets trial.

Not all doom and gloom here.

I agree with this. Even 6 weeks ago when I was going back into my city centre office, then meeting people for after work food and pints, doing shopping on Grafton St, I didnt see much care for Covid and the optical restraints like masks and social distancing. Even in my golf club hand shaking took over again after the first few weeks and that would include people in their 50s.

The covid hysteria In Ireland comes from a disconnected, closed circle elite who do not view themselves as elite. I'm referring to the close links people have to their TDs either directly or via one degree of separation and the attitude that one small favour for someone is grand in the big picture, eg getting support to quash planning permission for an apartment block, allowing weddings proceed while gatherings generally are restricted so you can have a wedding or obtaining a delay on the removal of Greece from the green list so you can holiday there. Irish media is then far too influenced by politicians and often acts as a press release vehicle for politics. The standard of journalism in the IT, Indo and The Journal is extremely poor with little investigative pieces. There is also a culture of not questioning the authorities which I find bizarre but then I realise Ireland is very good at trying to ignore problems for fear of being subjected to the herd shaming, for example, the denial and sensitivity with the levels of alcohol a lot of people consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

A genuine thank you for this post and your objective experience in Prague.

I’m due a holiday in 4 weeks time and was mulling over France or Spain however parts of both these countries have been invaded by the mask nazi philosophy (Spain have people mandated to wear masks on the beaches LMAO) , and I never thought of Prague as a destination option.

With this reveal about their Covid restrictions being relaxed I believe mental and physical liberation that will be personally achieved makes it to the top of my list

I’ll be doing 3 weeks myself. 21 days of freedom from the mad house media , wound up like a steel coil NPHET , spineless government and loopy outside/car driving mask wearers ...... (seriously , there’s like about half the people walking on streets in Swords today wearing masks OUTSIDE,ON THE STREETS.. bahhhhhha haha)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

dalyboy wrote: »

I’m due a holiday in 4 weeks time and was mulling over France or Spain however parts of both these countries have been invaded by the mask nazi philosophy (Spain have people mandated to wear masks on the beaches LMAO) , and I never thought of Prague as a destination option.

With this reveal about their Covid restrictions being relaxed I believe mental and physical liberation that will be personally achieved makes it to the top of my list

I’ll be doing 3 weeks myself. 21 days of freedom from the mad house media , wound up like a steel coil NPHET , spineless government and loopy outside/car driving mask wearers ...... (seriously , there’s like about half the people walking on streets in swords today wearing masks ON THE STREETS.. haha)

Wearing of masks outdoors will in all likelihood be made mandatory in Ireland in the fairly near future. Will you still be chuckling then pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

I’ll be doing 3 weeks myself. 21 days of freedom from the mad house media , wound up like a steel coil NPHET , spineless government and loopy outside/car driving mask wearers ...... (seriously , there’s like about half the people walking on streets in Swords today wearing masks OUTSIDE,ON THE STREETS.. bahhhhhha haha)
    why does this bother you, what people want to do. whats worse is fcuckers on a plane/bus pretending to have a drink so they pull down their mask for the entire journey ffs

• Advertisement

dabestman1 wrote: »
    why does this bother you, what people want to do. whats worse is fcuckers on a plane/bus pretending to have a drink so they pull down their mask for the entire journey ffs

When outdoor mask wearing is made mandatory here as will probably happen in the next few weeks or months it will bother him a lot more.

3/ 4 days is long enough in Prague, hire a car or public transport to Brno another beautiful city. Maybe even head to Bratislava, small but again lovely.

Wearing of masks outdoors will in all likelihood be made mandatory in Ireland in the fairly near future. Will you still be chuckling then pal?

I won’t be chuckling at all , I’ll be belly laughing at you clowns wearing masks outside. (It’s complete virtue signalling and contains ZERO science of being of benefit outside) I’m freelance and can relocate whenever I choose. So go on. Put on your face nappy outside walking about as much as you like. Me .. I don’t like so will be glad to live free. Have a nice day.

PS , you can take your mask off now , it’s bedtime

dabestman1 wrote: »

I’ll answer your question. Why does it bother me ? Because outside in the air contains zero chance of transmission of a virus so what’s the actual point of wearing one.

If the government told you to stand on one foot and say the alphabet backwards because it’ll save you from infection would you do that too ? NO , so enough is enough.

I won’t be chuckling at all , I’ll be belly laughing at you clowns wearing masks outside. (It’s complete virtue signalling and contains ZERO science of being of benefit outside) I’m freelance and can relocate whenever I choose. So go on. Put on your face nappy outside walking about as much as you like. Me .. I don’t like so will be glad to live free. Have a nice day.

But what will you do when outdoor mask wearing is made mandatory everywhere? Seems like you will have to wear a "face nappy" just like all the sensible people have been doing for a long while now. Spain has shown the way, the rest of the world will follow sooner or later. The clock is ticking for you pal.

When outdoor mask wearing is made mandatory here as will probably happen in the next few weeks or months it will bother him a lot more.

This is off topic so I’ll say no more about masks after this reply.

Anyone who advocates or preaches about wearing a mask outside is a science denier of the highest order and should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyone who advocates or preaches about wearing a mask outside is a science denier of the highest order and should be ashamed of themselves.

I would turn that commentt around and state that anyone who claims there is zero risk of the virus being transmitted outdoors in the absence of wearing a mask is actually a science denier and should be ashamed of themselves for making such a delusional claim.

You shouldn't feed it.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Interesting last few posts here

I randomly watched a travel vlogger on Youtube taking a wander around a beautiful town in Croatia a few days back. Very busy streets, very little mask wearing (he was outdoors in fairness) and everyone just getting on with (and doing their best to enjoy) their lives

I then read the reports here of other countries and places like Prague and it's a similar theme to the above

And then you have Ireland; from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed you are bombarded by the media with constant Covid negativity

Yet, the countries mentioned by other posters above have rising cases like Ireland too. So something does not compute

Either:

A) The above countries will be savaged by April type numbers in coming weeks because of their more casual approach

Or

B)The Irish government (and by turns, the media) are forcing us into a constant state of unnecessary stress and fear. The government are doing it to cover their recent, very serious, missteps. And the media are doing it for clicks and $$ (although I believe certain large media outlets are just mouthpieces for the government too)

When you compare the atmosphere in Ireland to many countries in the EU, it's all a bit strange tbh :confused:

I'm watching the numbers of active cases here in CZ for the last three four weeks and it's constantly around 5K. There's 100-300 new cases a day but it also seems 300 people a day recover. Total activel cases are not going up or down, so when I look at how relaxed it is here I seriously question what the hell is the Irish government doing?? Because the situation definitely isn't serious.

There's something very very wrong going on in Ireland. They recently issued some advice to OAP's, but wasn't it supposed to be issued back in March maybe? Face masks in shops? Now? Why? It's totally exaggerated.

It seems they want to keep people living in fear for some reason, controlling them. It's obvious that people living in fear are easy to control, that's a fact.. But from what I see in comment sections under covid articles on Facebook (IT, Journal, Rte news etc.) people can clearly see the government is f-ing with them. Big time. It's a total disaster at the moment and government clearly mismanaged the whole thing at this stage. If it's gonna get worse they will have to be removed by the people. They can't keep doing this forever.

So I found this somewhere online, this is the current green list for Czech Republic. Basically you can travel anywhere in Europe, the only exception is Spain, Romania and Serbia/Montenegro. If you go to the countries that are red on this map it's 14 days quarantine or a negative covid test. We live in a free world and we are free to travel anywhere in the world. This is just an advice really, basically with certain conditions upon return. When I arrived at the airport in Prague there was no paperwork to fill out. I went through passport check and that was it.

y3iEM1.png

it's like the green list published by the Irish government, only an advice really. I don't know about any law that tell people it's mandatory to stay home for 14 days after returning from non green list countries. It's impossible to enforce too.

Btw. What's stopping me from taking a train to Slovakia and flying from there back to Dublin? I can go anywhere I want from here, Germany, Poland, Austria... It's just silly this whole thing. Most of the Europe should be on the green list, but who cares about the green list anyway, only the scared OAP's and stupid people telling everyone the borders should be closed and asking why are ryanair flights packed. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

There's also zero science to show covid isn't transmitted outside. I personally rarely wear masks outdoors, but if I were at a busy, packed outdoor market or going down a narrow shopping street full of people, I'd prefer it if people were wearing masks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement