Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

josip wrote: »
    Are the pens provided and if so, are new pens provided for each passenger?

There's usually a load of pens at the stands, which i'm sure have had many hands using them.... They should have boxes where you put the used ones into so staff can collect them to be sanitized or recycled..

anyways doesn't matter now as the form will go online this week..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    There's usually a load of pens at the stands, which i'm sure have had many hands using them.... They should have boxes where you put the used ones into so staff can collect them to be sanitized or recycled..

Some of these measures seem so counter productive.

I went out for the first time this past weekend, to a quiet pub, to have a few pints in the garden. It felt very safe except for that when I walked in, I had to stand inches away from one of the bar staff (no mask) who explained to me face to face that I needed to fill in my details on some contact tracing sheet, and then use a pen handled by God knows how many people to do it. This was probably the biggest risk of the entire afternoon. Feels a bit silly.

Some of these measures seem so counter productive.

I went out for the first time this past weekend, to a quiet pub, to have a few pints in the garden. It felt very safe except for that when I walked in, I had to stand inches away from one of the bar staff (no mask) who explained to me face to face that I needed to fill in my details on some contact tracing sheet, and then use a pen handled by God knows how many people to do it. This was probably the biggest risk of the entire afternoon. Feels a bit silly.

Yea everywhere on the continent require you to fill out these paper forms and hand you a pen... though to avoid this people could carry their own?
    All the staff I have dealt with had masks on without exception..

Though in the tourist attractions you scan a barcode on your phone and fill out the form electronically, which is much better.. would be great if this was made free to all establishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭josip

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Although it would seem like the blindingly obvious thing to do, it doesn't appear to have dawned on those who put these systems in place.
    What they have actually done is set up a lucky dip Covid transfer station where you can take your chances on getting the virus from a pre used pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

France

I am in the airport on my way home to Ireland after a few days in France staying with the family of a close friend. I was previously in Italy in July and was glad of the green list, which allowed me to shun away the travel naysayers on my return (of which there were plenty).

The Irish media (particularly Radio FEAR Eireann) have the majority in a state of fear and terror. It is absolutely appalling. Having been away to two countries that suffered heavily at the start of this crap, it gives you an amazing perspective on it all.

France has strict mask wearing rules indoors and is well maintained. Quite a lot of on street wearing too. 1m social distancing, hand sanitising is common.

Is it on the news - yes. But they focus on hospitalisations and deaths, not cases as such. Are the people talking about it? No. Life in the part of France I’ve been in has moved on. Kids looking forward to go back to school.

Everyone back to work as normal, everything open and no STUPID rules like in Ireland (€9 meal or 6 people at a table).

Life goes on and no bother. It does your mind a world of difference. Off to Germany soon for my 3rd summer trip, all for far less than what I was being quoted for a week in Ireland.

Get going and enjoy taking your OWN personal responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

bikeman1 wrote: »
    France

I am in the airport on my way home to Ireland after a few days in France staying with the family of a close friend. I was previously in Italy in July and was glad of the green list, which allowed me to shun away the travel naysayers on my return (of which there were plenty).

The Irish media (particularly Radio FEAR Eireann) have the majority in a state of fear and terror. It is absolutely appalling. Having been away to two countries that suffered heavily at the start of this crap, it gives you an amazing perspective on it all.

France has strict mask wearing rules indoors and is well maintained. Quite a lot of on street wearing too. 1m social distancing, hand sanitising is common.

Is it on the news - yes. But they focus on hospitalisations and deaths, not cases as such. Are the people talking about it? No. Life in the part of France I’ve been in has moved on. Kids looking forward to go back to school.

Everyone back to work as normal, everything open and no STUPID rules like in Ireland (€9 meal or 6 people at a table).

Life goes on and no bother. It does your mind a world of difference. Off to Germany soon for my 3rd summer trip, all for far less than what I was being quoted for a week in Ireland.

Get going and enjoy taking your OWN personal responsibility.

TBF, every country has a different reality. I've lived in north of France and their bar culture was similar to ours but in general, it definitely is a different culture there towards alcohol. There's no one that is better or worse but for whatever reason, here in Ireland, they highlighted alcohol in a bar/pub as places that would facilitate the spread of the virus.

Also, most people aren't that fearful here anymore. I think people are just confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

That may be, but if you are a decent human then you would wear one. Even for nothing else other than for the fact that there maybe people around you who have to travel for whatever essential reason and are nervous. So if you don’t believe that masks help, or think that they are some big conspiracy to control us, then at least wear them to make others feel comfortable.

Anyone who doesn’t wear them is just a big baby. The reasons put forward for not are just excuses to try to hide this fact

Haha! Give over! A decent human? A big baby?

So I wear one to make those you mention feel at ease. Thereby increasing the wear rate, normalising the public use of masks even further and therefore alienating those who can’t wear one. For example deaf people and their companions? How do you think they feel seeing people wearing them increase in line with the calls for anyone not wearing one to get with the times and put one on?

There are many people who can’t wear them. They feel ostracised as it is by those very people that have taken on the role of public mask monitor. In other words, you’re not helping all the ‘vulnerable’ people you’re alluding to.

My post was in response to the poster who blindly regurgitates the misunderstandings deliberately put out by those who want to implement something new; The DAA and their ‘mandatory’ face masks.

Critical thinking is so scarce these days. And those that are corrected and informed usually defend it with, ‘well what does it matter, just do it anyway’

I read the SI 296 legislation when it came out. The one that deals with the recent mask legislation regarding shops, etc.

I was gobsmacked to see one of the exemptions is if a wearer needs to remove their mask for the purposes of administering first aid to someone else, basically. Imagine that. That the State had to actually specify that there’d be no legal repercussions on anyone who does not wear a mask while medically assisting a patient.

Simply to protect Itself against a member of the public saying later in court, ‘I was in a shop. With a mask on. My partner had a heart attack. I tried giving mouth-to-mouth but it didn’t work because we both had masks on. They died because of you, Minister.’ That’s what you’re dealing with!

3xh wrote: »

So I wear one to make those you mention feel at ease. Thereby increasing the wear rate, normalising the public use of masks even further and therefore alienating those who can’t wear one. For example deaf people and their companions? How do you think they feel seeing people wearing them increase in line with the calls for anyone not wearing one to get with the times and put one on?

There are many people who can’t wear them. They feel ostracised as it is by those very people that have taken on the role of public mask monitor. In other words, you’re not helping all the ‘vulnerable’ people you’re alluding to.

My post was in response to the poster who blindly regurgitates the misunderstandings deliberately put out by those who want to implement something new; The DAA and their ‘mandatory’ face masks.

Critical thinking is so scarce these days. And those that are corrected and informed usually defend it with, ‘well what does it matter, just do it anyway’

I read the SI 296 legislation when it came out. The one that deals with the recent mask legislation regarding shops, etc.

I was gobsmacked to see one of the exemptions is if a wearer needs to remove their mask for the purposes of administering first aid to someone else, basically. Imagine that. That the State had to actually specify that there’d be no legal repercussions on anyone who does not wear a mask while medically assisting a patient.

Simply to protect Itself against a member of the public saying later in court, ‘I was in a shop. With a mask on. My partner had a heart attack. I tried giving mouth-to-mouth but it didn’t work because we both had masks on. They died because of you, Minister.’ That’s what you’re dealing with!

Not being able to wear a mask does not make those people more important than the rest of us.

I read some 'poor me' self pitying rant from a woman in her twenties who had been assaulted, saying that she couldn't wear a mask to get a haircut because she had PTSD.

Do I feel bad for her? Yes. But what gives her the right to go around doing whatever she wants in a pandemic, possibly spreading covid? It's not even like she had to go grocery shopping, it was an effing haircut, totally unnecessary. She can't wear a mask because of her trauma, but to hell with everyone else? Risking passing covid to elderly and vulnerable people so she can get a nice haircut. Totally self absorbed, to the highest degree.

I note some airlines like SWISS are now insisting on negative covid tests for the snowflakes who can't tolerate a bit of fabric on their face for a a couple of hours - thank God. Finally people copping onto the fact that even having a real medical reason (the few that exist) to be exempt from mask wearing doesn't mean you don't have covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

Only 12 passengers including myself on the Ryanair flight from Cork to Málaga this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Not being able to wear a mask does not make those people more important than the rest of us.

I read some 'poor me' self pitying rant from a woman in her twenties who had been assaulted, saying that she couldn't wear a mask to get a haircut because she had PTSD.

Do I feel bad for her? Yes. But what gives her the right to go around doing whatever she wants in a pandemic, possibly spreading covid? It's not even like she had to go grocery shopping, it was an effing haircut, totally unnecessary. She can't wear a mask because of her trauma, but to hell with everyone else? Risking passing covid to elderly and vulnerable people so she can get a nice haircut. Totally self absorbed, to the highest degree.

I note some airlines like SWISS are now insisting on negative covid tests for the snowflakes who can't tolerate a bit of fabric on their face for a a couple of hours - thank God. Finally people copping onto the fact that even having a real medical reason (the few that exist) to be exempt from mask wearing doesn't mean you don't have covid.

You don't sound like you feel bad for her TBH.

Great finger-wag though.

• Advertisement

Great. A negative Covid test that says you’re negative at the time of test. But what about from the time you step on board? You know, when it matters? Another piecemeal, feel good PR exercise.

Like I said, finding the extreme examples in order to make excuses for being a big baby

Like I said, finding the extreme examples in order to make excuses for being a big baby

The problem is the people in the centre of society (the masses) that these extreme examples are made for.

Going back to my initial post about the DAA, wear a mask if you choose to do so. If you don’t want to, it’s not ‘mandatory’ like what the poster was suggesting incorrectly here in a public forum.

Great. A negative Covid test that says you’re negative at the time of test. But what about from the time you step on board? You know, when it matters? Another piecemeal, feel good PR exercise.

Dunno what else that can be done, masks and tests aren't 100% though if they get people flying then it's definitely a good thing cos at the moment airports and flights are probably only 1/4 full or less in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

so, just back from a week in Rome
    thelad95 wrote: »
    Just waiting in Chania airport to check in after a lovely relaxing holiday in Crete.
    bikeman1 wrote: »

I am in the airport on my way home to Ireland after a few days in France

Thanks for the great, positive reports

Between the location reviews here and what I'm seeing on the Instagram Stories of people I follow in different countries; there's something not adding up about the hysteria of the Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just booked 4 days for me and MRS in Budapest for next month. €64 return for the flights :eek:

€100 for nice apartment in the city centre. Beat that staycation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great, positive reports

Between the location reviews here and what I'm seeing on the Instagram Stories of people I follow in different countries; there's something not adding up about the hysteria of the Irish media

I am from Greece and this morning I booked flights to go and see my family in a month's time. I talked to my sister last night to get a feel of the situation. At the moment this doesn't dominate the news, obviously there are daily updates on new cases, deaths and hospitalizations, but as many people are on holidays very few people spend their time following the news in detail. My mom is a perfect example: she was really panicky in the beginning and she and my dad cocooned for nearly 2 months (mid March to mid May). For the last 2 months they have been on holidays with no TV and she is way more relaxed - obviously they take all necessary precautions but when we talk and I ask her how are things, she doesn't know many details - so I think there is definitely an element that the media present this in a rather gloomy way, because this sells better. I do appreciate the severity of this virus and I think especially in the beginning it was good that this was highlighted (as in a wake-up call), I think though that where we are now, a more "sober" approach would be more beneficial.

The below is just a theory (nothing to back it up, just a logic thought): though cases are on the up in Greece at the moment (200+ cases every day), no severe restrictions will be introduced until the high tourist season is over (mid to late September). I feel that the Greek authorities try to keep a lid on the whole thing - and they are helped that hospitalizations and deaths are still low, mainly because this now hits younger people, similar to Ireland. Schools are scheduled to reopen the first week of September, it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I reckon that if numbers continue rising, some restrictions will return - my understanding is though that there is no plan for a complete lockdown unless it is absolutely necessary. Another good thing is that in general older people tend to vaccinate against the flu - my parents have done so in many many years and never had the flu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Faceman; thanks for giving a perspective of an expat in Spain. To read the headlines about it you'd think the Black Plague is riding through the country

Do you mind saying which part you're based in?

Im in the Costa Blanca area, southern part of Valencia region

You don't sound like you feel bad for her TBH.

Great finger-wag though.

I do. But I don't think it excuses selfish behaviour like going for a haircut and not wearing a mask. People who feel unable to wear masks for non-physical reasons need to accept and understand that they're still a risk to everyone around them. Having had something bad happen to you doesn't give you the right to walk around doing whatever the hell you want. She could have just stayed at home.

It's a lot better than nothing, isn't it? Tests need to be from max 48 hours before boarding time and a valid doctor's letter is needed. This should reduce risk enormously compared to doing nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I do. But I don't think it excuses selfish behaviour like going for a haircut and not wearing a mask. People who feel unable to wear masks for non-physical reasons need to accept and understand that they're still a risk to everyone around them. Having had something bad happen to you doesn't give you the right to walk around doing whatever the hell you want. She could have just stayed at home.

It's a lot better than nothing, isn't it? Tests need to be from max 48 hours before boarding time and a valid doctor's letter is needed. This should reduce risk enormously compared to doing nothing at all.

So can you.

• Advertisement

Critical thinking is so scarce these days. And those that are corrected and informed usualI read the SI 296 legislation when it came out. The one that deals with the recent mask legislation regarding shops, etc.

Why do you think the regulations don't apply to the airport and why the airport byelaws don't cover the use of masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

faceman wrote: »
    Im in the Costa Blanca area, southern part of Valencia region

Pilar de la Horadada

Pilar de la Horadada

Thought he was in torrejieva

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

skyway wrote: »
    Only 12 passengers including myself on the Ryanair flight from Cork to Málaga this morning.

Was there anything open in Cork airport? I'm flying out of there this week, wondering is it possible to get a pint.

polesheep wrote: »
    So can you.

Sigh.

Another one who doesn't get it.

People need to go out for essential reasons. To the pharmacy, the doctor, the shop. The people who choose to go and do non-essential things without masks are putting others at risk. That woman who went to the hairdresser then surely went and sat on public transport, or maybe went to the doctor where vulnerable people were sitting...nobody lives in a bubble. Maybe the hairdresser who feels pressured to work is going home to an asthmatic child or elderly grandparent.

The entire point in wearing a mask is doing your part to reduce the spread. Not wearing a mask is selfish and antisocial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sigh.

Another one who doesn't get it.

People need to go out for essential reasons. To the pharmacy, the doctor, the shop. The people who choose to go and do non-essential things without masks are putting others at risk. That woman who went to the hairdresser then surely went and sat on public transport, or maybe went to the doctor where vulnerable people were sitting...nobody lives in a bubble. Maybe the hairdresser who feels pressured to work is going home to an asthmatic child or elderly grandparent.

The entire point in wearing a mask is doing your part to reduce the spread. Not wearing a mask is selfish and antisocial.

The woman you referred to has medical needs (PTSD). You think it's fine to put the medical needs of others above hers. You don't have that right.

polesheep wrote: »
    The woman you referred to has medical needs (PTSD). You think it's fine to put the medical needs of others above hers. You don't have that right.

Well, most other countries' laws reflect the fact that the health of the majority is more important than one person's PTSD.

And tbh you should not need a law. I really dislike wearing masks because they make me anxious, so guess what? I don't go to places where I'd need to wear them. I don't need a haircut. I don't need to go to a museum. If I have to travel for essential reasons, I wear one and suck it up.

Why should other people be put at risk because of me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well, most other countries' laws reflect the fact that the health of the majority is more important than one person's PTSD.

You were really being a drama queen and bitching and moaning about not being able to go outside and having a small flat etc when lockdown was first implemented. You're such a hypocrite.

It’s the travel thread, guys

• Advertisement

You were really being a drama queen and bitching and moaning about not being able to go outside and having a small flat etc when lockdown was first implemented. You're such a hypocrite.

Are you serious?

I complied with the regulations during lockdown to the letter. I didn't put anyone in danger. Yes, it was tough and unpleasant, but I stuck to the rules for my own good and that of others. At no point did I decide that my own needs were more important than other people's health - the exact opposite of what this woman is doing.

How does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe engage your brain before you post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement