Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to get away in September but I would be shunned and blacklisted by my friends for being “selfish” and “irresponsible”

Really?

Surely it depends on where you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I would absolutely love to get away in September but I would be shunned and blacklisted by my friends for being “selfish” and “irresponsible” so it’s just not worth it. I think lots and lots of people are in the same boat really.

I'd say you need some new friends. You might meet some like-minded people on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I would absolutely love to get away in September but I would be shunned and blacklisted by my friends for being “selfish” and “irresponsible” so it’s just not worth it. I think lots and lots of people are in the same boat really.

It's a bit mad how travel to another country, following all the rules and wearing a mask on the plane, is 'irresponsible' but sitting in an enclosed space like a pub drinking and talking sh1te for several hours is considered grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's your life, do what you want, if you have mates who don't understand that then you need new ones...

https://thepointsguy.com/news/critical-points-travel-shaming-problem/

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Interesting to read the lack of intervention by Ryanair hostesses there

They notoriously never give a fcuk, but you'd think - given the controversy around O'Leary this year - that some training or new directives would've been given to staff

What would you like them to do? Realistically?

I have seen 5ft women berate large men on Ryanair flights for standing up while still moving but that 5ft woman is not being paid enough nor empowered to enforce health restrictions in 100+ morons

• Advertisement

That's sad. You are living your life based on what others will think about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

Who needs friends like those!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

There’s a new Green List due today isn’t there?

There was a new green list due this day last week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

dalyboy wrote: »
    There was a new green list due this day last week

Pushed to 28th I saw somewhere but think it’s just been swept under the carpet, their model fell apart when our cases rose. Their model then meant the worse things got here then the more countries were on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Feeling a bit more confident about being able to have a holiday next summer. Not booking for a few more months though

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit more confident about being able to have a holiday next summer. Not booking for a few more months though

Same

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Same

Where are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Chickened out this year, mainly due to kids going back to school and a pita I’m sure would’ve caused hassle there (green list or not).

Crete booked next year, hell and high water etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Spoke with a colleague today that traveled home to mainland europe to spend time with her family she began the conversation hesitantly and proceeded to tell me about all the guidelines she adhered to.. I had to cut her off and tell her calm down.. she is a grown ass woman and I dont need any justification or explanation on how she spends her time!!. . The relief on her face was instant..

I enjoyed that zoom call today so much. I booked a flight to France to see my own sister and her family and I havent seen them in a year!

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

Where are you thinking of?

No idea - anywhere. Maybe America (seems very unlikely) or Portugal. Never been to Greece so maybe head there.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    No idea - anywhere. Maybe America (seems very unlikely) or Portugal. Never been to Greece so maybe head there.

Was thinking of Spain and Portugal myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Does anyone know if there is a form to be filled for entry to Italy from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

polesheep wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a form to be filled for entry to Italy from Ireland?

Yes, should be on the Ryanair site or check Google..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

noraos wrote: »
    Spoke with a colleague today that traveled home to mainland europe to spend time with her family she began the conversation hesitantly and proceeded to tell me about all the guidelines she adhered to.. I had to cut her off and tell her calm down.. she is a grown ass woman and I dont need any justification or explanation on how she spends her time!!. . The relief on her face was instant..

I enjoyed that zoom call today so much. I booked a flight to France to see my own sister and her family and I havent seen them in a year!

I think a distinction has to be made. Travelling to see family members which they have not seen in a year, and may be elderly and isolated etc, is very different from somebody deciding they want to go on holidays for the sake of it.

The latter is truly selfish and shameful imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

I think a distinction has to be made. Travelling to see family members which they have not seen in a year, and may be elderly and isolated etc, is very different from somebody deciding they want to go on holidays for the sake of it.

I guess I'm truly selfish and shameful then. How will I ever look myself in the mirror again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Can you explain why? Bearing in mind that I can staycation anywhere in Ireland, a country with an infection rate of 28.5, and I am holidaying in Italy, a country with an infection rate of 16.5.

"IMO" is the most meaningful part of this post.

It is absolutely not a view that I share, and am back from a wonderful holiday in Italy, at a fraction of the cost of a staycation for a substantially better and less crowded experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You might want to be careful not to give yourself repetitive strain injury for all the finger wagging you’ll be doing for years to come i suspect.

Btw i don’t fly for sun holidays etc, i have family abroad and at some stage i will have to travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

polesheep wrote: »
    Can you explain why? Bearing in mind that I can staycation anywhere in Ireland, a country with an infection rate of 28.5, and I am holidaying in Italy, a country with an infection rate of 16.5.

Because the Govt told ya man.

I had a wonderful holiday in Portugal in the Algarve. Social Distancing everywhere, no crowds people in bars/restaurants/shops. Even the water park only let certain amount in and plenty staff at each slide que ensuring social distancing was done. No masks no entry to any indoor area, beaches marked out in squares.

And some eejets tell me that I was more at risk there than down in Kerry for 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

And some eejets tell me that I was more at risk there than down in Kerry for 2 weeks

I think some of those eejits have different agendas.

I'm back just over 24hours at this stage.

Filled in the form as required - I'd say they'll have some trouble reading my writing - the lads at passport control really didn't give a sh;t, just threw it into the pile with the others. I won't be answering any calls from numbers I don't know anyway.

I'm certainly not 'restricting my movements', whatever that means. I'll continue to take sensible precautions but I'd have a higher chance of picking up the virus during a staycation than a few weeks in Spain and Italy.

This could be the last year of cheap travel when you see the devastation that the airline and tourists industries are suffering - while the airport and flight experience was incredibly pleasant with so few people it is obviously completely unsustainable.

Anyway delighted to take advantage of it this year and see a lot of amazing places sans the throngs of tourists.

Delighted to miss the terrible weather in Ireland too.

Kids straight back in to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

noraos wrote: »

My wife and I are both foreigners. I used to feel the travel restrictions were particularly unfair on us, but in the past few days a couple of Irish people have told me privately they are envious we had a decent excuse to defy the hysteria and travel this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Thank for the reassurance, folks!
    I’m going to think about it more. All the positive experiences here have certainly made it sound very appealing and safe.

Am I correct that there is no consequences if you travel to somewhere not on the green list?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Am I correct that there is no consequences if you travel to somewhere not on the green list?

Been to Portugal and back, My 14 days restricting movements, which we have done, is up on Sunday and I haven't heard one word from anybody.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement