Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would be a little uneasy about not having insurance cover. Other then that I’d be happy to travel with precautions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

Gael23 wrote: »
    Am I correct that there is no consequences if you travel to somewhere not on the green list?

Yes you are. I travelled to Spain twice and on both occasions restricting my movements was down to my own personal sense of responsibility. Nobody checked up on me and basically I could do what I wanted and go where I wanted for the 14 days. For the record, I didn't and did restrict movements to the extent I was satisfied with. Very much up to each person.

Where it does have consequences is if you can't return to work for 14 days and lose pay. That completely depends on the employer, which in itself is grossly inequitable and I'm still waiting to see some reaction from unions. But hey this is Ireland where most people just roll over.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I would absolutely love to get away in September but I would be shunned and blacklisted by my friends for being “selfish” and “irresponsible” so it’s just not worth it. I think lots and lots of people are in the same boat really.

Then don’t tell them , simple as that !!!, if they ask, ur going to Kerry - the government is looking after their own self interests, you should do the same and in about 1-2 months, the whole country will h shutdown again anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

The latter is truly selfish and shameful imo.

What a pathetic comment, especially considering we are in a high risk country compared to many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Has anyone flown to France recently?

I think you are supposed to have a form filled out before you board the plane.
    The supplied online forms don't seem to cover holidays, yet people seem to be going.
    Any experiences?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

bladespin wrote: »
    What a pathetic comment, especially considering we are in a high risk country compared to many others.

Yes. You are right. We need to arrive at some kind of sensible policy. Manage risk and at the same time recognise we are a deeply connected island State.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Bumpstop wrote: »
    Has anyone flown to France recently?

I think you are supposed to have a form filled out before you board the plane.
    The supplied online forms don't seem to cover holidays, yet people seem to be going.
    Any experiences?

Yep, flew to Biarritz last month. Filled in the (simple) form the night before we went but it was never collected at the other end.

A terrific experience and highly recommended. A truly hysteria-free zone

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bumpstop

Yep, flew to Biarritz last month. Filled in the (simple) form the night before we went but it was never collected at the other end.

A terrific experience and highly recommended. A truly hysteria-free zone

Thanks for that.

Do you mind if I ask where you downloaded the forms from.
    I think I see them on the Ryanair website.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Currently in Italy.

Only about 50 on the ryanair flight out. I was very impressed with the measures Ryanair put in place. As someone who flew home in early April from Oz, there has been huge changes since then.

Overall, there is alot less hysteria here. Just wear a mask whenever you're indoors.

Beautiful weather, beautiful food and great to see Italy free from Americans.. Just European tourists. The Italians have been very welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wonder do you have to tell your job legally what you're doing with your time off? I know public servants are supposed to tell them they're going away and then are supposed to take 2 weeks leave afterwards to quarantine. My Aunt and Uncle were supposed to visit my folks in Spain but then couldn't go as Uncle would have had to take 2 weeks leave afterwards, he works for CIE or whatever they're called now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

A quick list of the European countries that have gained a lower infection rate than Ireland since the Green List was last updated over three weeks ago (mostly due to cases rising faster in Ireland):

-UK
    -Germany
    -Poland
    -Portugal
    -Denmark
    -Bulgaria
    -Slovenia
    -Cyprus

Next closest rate currently after Ireland (31.1) is Sweden (35.4). Source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

And Greece has been left on the list which now has a higher number than some of those countries, a complete failure by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

FrStone wrote: »
    Currently in Italy.

Only about 50 on the ryanair flight out. I was very impressed with the measures Ryanair put in place. As someone who flew home in early April from Oz, there has been huge changes since then.

Overall, there is alot less hysteria here. Just wear a mask whenever you're indoors.

Beautiful weather, beautiful food and great to see Italy free from Americans.. Just European tourists. The Italians have been very welcoming.

Did you have to fill in a form?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Then don’t tell them ... the government is looking after their own self interests, you should do the same

Not sure if telling people to feck everyone else and just look after yourself is the right way to go.

I mean, really?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Wallander wrote: »
    A quick list of the European countries that have gained a lower infection rate than Ireland since the Green List was last updated over three weeks ago (mostly due to cases rising faster in Ireland):

-UK
    -Germany
    -Poland
    -Portugal
    -Denmark
    -Bulgaria
    -Slovenia
    -Cyprus

Next closest rate currently after Ireland (31.1) is Sweden (35.4). Source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea
    fm wrote: »
    And Greece has been left on the list which now has a higher number than some of those countries, a complete failure by the government.

Looking at the link, Greece appears to still have less cases per 100k people than Ireland. I think probably this is because the population is more than double that of Ireland and Ireland had a few days with high numbers.
    But numbers in Greece are moving on up at the moment - yesterday 293 new cases. I think this has some to do with August being peak holiday period, I expect that the numbers will stay high for at least another week or so, on the aftermath of holidays. I keep monitoring the numbers in Greece as I'm scheduled to travel next week to see my family and I need to keep on top of what forms (or covid test) would be required in either end of the trip.

I think though that the approach of comparing cases per 100k. though a decent one, would be subject to a lot of changes based on where many countries are at the moment. To be honest, I expect that as soon as holiday season is over, we could see more restrictions in entering in another country.

I wonder do you have to tell your job legally what you're doing with your time off? I know public servants are supposed to tell them they're going away and then are supposed to take 2 weeks leave afterwards to quarantine. My Aunt and Uncle were supposed to visit my folks in Spain but then couldn't go as Uncle would have had to take 2 weeks leave afterwards, he works for CIE or whatever they're called now.

I don't know either and would be interested to find out.

Personally, I cleared my trip to Greece with my manager and HR before booking flights.
    Both gave me the OK go and asked me to just be careful of myself and others - HR kind of hinted that I should self isolate anyway even if Greece is still in the Green list and not mandatory- which I plan to anyway - or, at very least, restrict my movements.

It obviously helps that I can work from home (working on accounting and finance).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think though that the approach of comparing cases per 100k. though a decent one, would be subject to a lot of changes based on where many countries are at the moment. To be honest, I expect that as soon as holiday season is over, we could see more restrictions in entering in another country.

The case level in Kildare is 159 per 100k, so avoid Kildare for your holidays.. or shopping etc..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The case level in Kildare is 159 per 100k, so avoid Kildare for your holidays.. or shopping etc..
    Very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

polesheep wrote: »
    Did you have to fill in a form?

Nope.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I'm in Meath, just on the border with Louth, so no plan to go to Kildare.
    I go to Dublin once per week though and I follow the numbers with interest.

I was actually thinking of booking the Powerscourt hotel for a couple of nights but I wasn't sure if the spa would be open (plus the whole thing would cost around 500 euro for 2 days), so when I was able to book a flight to Greece for half price (business class for 320 euro) it was a no brainer + I get to see my family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Ireland now being considered for inclusion on the UK's quarantine list:

"Gibraltar, Ireland, Denmark, Iceland and Turkey are understood to be among other areas being closely monitored by officials."
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/27/england-may-remove-switzerland-and-jamaica-from-travel-corridor-list

When the UK first introduced quarantine for the whole world in the spring they exempted Ireland on the basis of the common travel area, but it appears that bridge has been burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

"Gibraltar, Ireland, Denmark, Iceland and Turkey are understood to be among other areas being closely monitored by officials."
    https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/27/england-may-remove-switzerland-and-jamaica-from-travel-corridor-list

When the UK first introduced quarantine for the whole world in the spring they exempted Ireland on the basis of the common travel area, but it appears that bridge has been burnt

Politics is unfortunately coming into play with these decisions

Flight prices to and from Belfast are going to skyrocket

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think the green list debacle at the moment says it all about the governments management of this crisis in recent months

a complete and utter shambles...

At this stage ppl dont really care, it is every man or woman for themselves and thank god people are finally waking up...

Good luck to everybody on your holidays or visits home

It is sad .... I used to look at foreign affairs travel advice very seriously....but now it has been exposed as absolute tosh...

How can any Irish man or woman ever trust the apparatus of this state again? I certainly will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-stansted-coronavirus-5188600-Aug2020/

So this genius was put in a position by either feeling unwell, or being a close contact of a diagnosed case that he himself was needing a test and after getting the test and no result he decided to travel. By plane. To a different country.

To knowingly put others at risk of a deadly virus should be seen as a criminal offense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

So this genius was put in a position by either feeling unwell, or being a close contact of a diagnosed case that he himself was needing a test and after getting the test and no result he decided to travel. By plane. To a different country.

To knowingly put others at risk of a deadly virus should be seen as a criminal offense.

The same genius would have gone to a local bar and not cared. I think we need to have random and targeted testing in the airport. The Greek system is quite good I think - although better on paper than in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

The same genius would have gone to a local bar and not cared. I think we need to have random and targeted testing in the airport. The Greek system is quite good I think - although better on paper than in practice.

When a Covid-positive nursing home staff member continues to work at a care home after their son (that works in a meat factory) tests positive too, we’ve more serious structural issues to be dealing with.

It only came to light by chance. Not because of processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What virus is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,662 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What virus is that?

Ask your teacher today.

• Advertisement

Yes, but it’s not a travel issue. It’s a personal responsibility issue. That individual, if he didn’t travel, is for sure ignoring all the guidelines and will be hitting a house party over the weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement