Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when I'd be able to travel to England? I'm looking to go over for a car in the next few months. I'd get the ferry over and back.

There are flights going to England at the moment. You can fly there.

My friend flew yesterday with her boyfriend who lives there and they weren't asked anything.

The land border with Spain is closed

For now. The expectation is that they'll be open within two weeks. My brother is in Spain now (he was living there), is expecting to leave... and will be doing the route I suggested but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

I'd travel expect Ryanir and Aer Lingus prices are double for October what they were in May

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

From a health safety point of view, surely travelling (in Europe) now or in the near future is the safest. Most countries have been in lockdown for weeks, the community spread is rock bottom, everyone is still being cautious and no one is travelling. Right now is probably as low as the virus is going to get in the community. It will only increase. So when people become more familiar and comfortable living with it, numbers will increase and more people will travel. Making travel riskier (relatively)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

You really would love to know why both AL and RA are putting up prices. Is there really a surge in bookings or is it games? I'd personally love to get a reasonable estimate of bookings. If only as an indicator of how soon I, myself, should book.

I am somebody who'd be in the air like a shot if I could as I always spend most of the summer months in Spain but I don't want to book until we get clarity on the 14 day quarantine. Also, having had two flights cancelled already this year and all the shenanigans with Ryan air about refunds and vouchers, I want certainty before committing to book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

acequion wrote: »
    You really would love to know why both AL and RA are putting up prices. Is there really a surge in bookings or is it games? I'd personally love to get a reasonable estimate of bookings. If only as an indicator of how soon I, myself, should book.

I am somebody who'd be in the air like a shot if I could as I always spend most of the summer months in Spain but I don't want to book until we get clarity on the 14 day quarantine. Also, having had two flights cancelled already this year and all the shenanigans with Ryan air about refunds and vouchers, I want certainty before committing to book.

They’ve said it’s a surge in bookings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Right now is probably as low as the virus is going to get in the community. It will only increase.

Jaysus. That's the spirit

It's a virus. Like SARS 1 and many more before it, it will die eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

It's all so confusing. Will the government release soon official guidance on what countries people will be allowed to travel, when, and if/what restrictions there will be going and coming back? Will these so call travel bubbles be implemented?

Looking at the weather this summer we need to get out of here as soon as possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The_Brood wrote: »
    It's all so confusing. Will the government release soon official guidance on what countries people will be allowed to travel, when, and if/what restrictions there will be going and coming back? Will these so call travel bubbles be implemented?

Looking at the weather this summer we need to get out of here as soon as possible.

Reading between the lines of Leo’s speech in the Dail today it could be mid July. He didn’t mention travel but he did say reopen for business

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

faceman wrote: »
    They’ve said it’s a surge in bookings

faceman, you'd need proof of that. That's like the ploy of "only 3 seats left at this price" and the following week you get them at a lower price. Or the "only 3 rooms left on our site" at booking.com and ring the hotel and they're available cheaper.

On the one hand you hear of people itching to go on their hols, while on the other you hear about a lot of fear and caution. Plus the deterrent of the 14 day quarantine even if not legally binding.

That's why I'd really love an objective indication of many are actually biting the bullet and booking in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Jaysus. That's the spirit

It's a virus. Like SARS 1 and many more before it, it will die eventually

Sure, just like like SARS 1 which had 8,422 cases worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure anyone would want to travel in the next 2 - 3 months unless they really had to?

From what I see about guidelines for Carparking at shopping centres, it's possible that the DAA will greatly reduce available airport parking due to physical distancing requirements, and on the shuttle bus from those car-parks, that will mean increased parking charges for passengers.

With the 2 metre rule in place queing for security check will double in time.
    And with a possible delay while staff check bags, change gloves, clean trays etc.

Access to Cafe's, Bars, Duty free stores will be greatly controlled in order to maintain 2m distance.

Will the DAA remove every 2nd or third seat from the gate waiting area?

Plus the aircraft boarding procedure will take much longer as you can't all now wait at the stairs before boarding, and the queue will go back further/move slower.

People are discouraged from taking a carry on bag, so longer wait times at the carousel on the arrival side, plus extra time for staff to load bags into the hold.

This is all before Gate/cabin staff do temperature tests and argue with the inevitable awkward customers who won't wear or have lost face masks, thus delaying boarding even further.

When you do get to your destination you could be subject to more temperature checks, random health questionnaires by security staff etc. A failure of a temperature check could lead to you being denied entry to that country or forced into a 14 day quarantine at a local facility at your expense.

The above is all based on Dublin airport, a reasonably large and modern airport, not small Spanish, Greek or Eastern European airport where facilities can be a lot smaller leading to large delays and missed flights.

Not to mention that airlines may cancel flights if not sufficiently full or delay until the next aircraft.

Also at your destination you will be subject to further distancing restrictions on public transport, shopping and leisure facilities, potential isolated Covid outbreaks at hotels leading to a lockdown and a 2 further two week holiday at your expense.

So, Travel.... Only for the brave in 2020...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Still beats the hell out of staying local. In 12 degrees and rain and exorbitant prices I’d crawl on broken glass to the Mediterranean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not sure anyone would want to travel in the next 2 - 3 months unless they really had to?

So, Travel.... Only for the brave in 2020...

Holiday booked for early August, city break booked for October. Nothing got to do with bravery, life moves on. I'll let others stay in the bunker.

Still beats the hell out of staying local. In 12 degrees and rain and exorbitant prices I’d crawl on broken glass to the Mediterranean.

It's a big gamble for those planning to holiday in the coming months, only for the brave and hardy...

Holiday booked for early August, city break booked for October. Nothing got to do with bravery, life moves on. I'll let others stay in the bunker.

As I said, that's fine, there's still a lot of unknowns, a lot of people will sit back and see what happens to others....
    Potentially risking a lot of stress and expense, is it really going to be worth it if something goes wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tenzor07,

That sounds quite a grim travelling experience. But hopefully will not last forever, who knows though?

We are thinking of mid October with hope rather than certainty.

It will be interesting to read the experiences of those planning to travel in July August for example. I hope they will share in due course.

Potentially risking a lot of stress and expense, is it really going to be worth it if something goes wrong?

You may see risk, I don't. Life is for living. If I took the what if attitude I would pull the bedsheets over my head and never leave the bed.
    Stay safe, stay home. ;-)

You may see risk, I don't. Life is for living. If I took the what if attitude I would pull the bedsheets over my head and never leave the bed.

Some people have underlying conditions and are a bit wary. That’s very understandable.

Enjoy your break. Let us know how it went.

Tenzor07,
    That sounds quite a grim travelling experience. But hopefully will not last forever, who knows though?
    We are thinking of mid October with hope rather than certainty.
    It will be interesting to read the experiences of those planning to travel in July August for example. I hope they will share in due course.

Well it's the new normal that people will face for the foreseeable future.

Airlines won't even return to 80% capacity before September at the earliest, yet they are still selling a lot of tickets which keeps the shareholders happy, but may lead to cancellations or delays.

At the end of the day a holiday to me is getting to a destination as quickly and a stress free as possible, if people want to blindly enter into a whole host of potential delays and costs, well good luck to them, reality will bite..

• Advertisement

You'll probably wish you did, good luck!

Some people have underlying conditions and are a bit wary. That’s very understandable.

Enjoy your break. Let us know how it went.

I fully understand wariness regarding underlying conditions. However the other poster is trying to give as negative an expected experience as he can wonder what the motive is.
    I will be travelling to the airport with my wife driven there by a family member. I'm aware of the restrictions in Dublin, I have liaised with my airline. Some of the other posters claims are bs. Have a car hired at my destination and accommodation booked at various locations. Will take similar precautions to what I do here, hand sanitiser, social distancing etc. Fully intend enjoying myself with my wife, I'll leave the paranoia for others. Destination is Italy btw, I have friends there haven't seen them in a year. Prague in October.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m going to see how things look in another 4-6 weeks and see what reports are and how people find it. Also how infection rates look. I’ve contacted a few Irish hotels and it sounds grim, booking a slot in the pool, bar shut, set dinner time, expensive! So if going to somewhere that will be warm and sunny looks a safe option come August I’ll be taking it!

I fully understand wariness regarding underlying conditions. However the other poster is trying to give as negative an expected experience as he can wonder what the motive is.
    I will be travelling to the airport with my wife driven there by a family member. I'm aware of the restrictions in Dublin, I have liaised with my airline. Some of the other posters claims are bs. Have a car hired at my destination and accommodation booked at various locations. Will take similar precautions to what I do here, hand sanitiser, social distancing etc. Fully intend enjoying myself with my wife, I'll leave the paranoia for others. Destination is Italy btw, I have friends there haven't seen them in a year. Prague in October.

Italy is one of my favourite spots in Europe. What area you going to?

The poster TenZor has some valid points I thought, particularly the hanging around in an under functioning airport due to RULES. But look, everyone will do their own risk assessment and decide from there. Everyone is different.

pc7 wrote: »
    I’m going to see how things look in another 4-6 weeks and see what reports are and how people find it. Also how infection rates look. I’ve contacted a few Irish hotels and it sounds grim, booking a slot in the pool, bar shut, set dinner time, expensive! So if going to somewhere that will be warm and sunny looks a safe option come August I’ll be taking it!

I had a look at Irish hotels feeling maybe spend my money here in the interests of solidarity. I last holidayed in lreland when my 29 year old son was 7. Felt ripped off back then and recent checking of prices confirms what I felt 22years ago is still valid. 10 days in a warm climate flights and car hire €350, I expect accommodation to cost €500 based on my experience last year. My destination will be fully open for business weeks before I travel.

pc7 wrote: »

Hotels both here and abroad will face similar restrictions, booking the pool, sunlounger, no buffet meals, room service only, hotel restaurant/bar limited numbers, no menus, no live music, longer check in times due to distancing, lift access limited numbers. Restrictions or closure of Gyms, Sauna, Spa treatments.

Basically any of the normal activities/facilities associated with staying at hotels are changed now due to Covid...

If people think nothing much has changed due to covid then they are very naive.

Italy is one of my favourite spots in Europe. What area you going to?

The poster TenZor has some valid points I thought, particularly the hanging around in an under functioning airport due to RULES. But look, everyone will do their own risk assessment and decide from there. Everyone is different.

Into Milan onward to Sienna for the first 2 days, followed by a few days with friends in Naples. Travel the Amalfi coast for the rest of the trip and back to Milan / homeward bound.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Hotels both here and abroad will face similar restrictions, booking the pool, sunlounger, no buffet meals, room service only, hotel restaurant/bar limited numbers, no menus, no live music, longer check in times due to distancing, lift access limited numbers. Restrictions or closure of Gyms, Sauna, Spa treatments.

Basically any of the normal activities/facilities associated with staying at hotels are changed now due to Covid...

If people think nothing much has changed due to covid then they are very naive.

I’d go self catering if I feel it’s an option, eating in restaurants outside, sunshine, swimming in the sea. Just feel if I’m going somewhere I’d rather somewhere nice and warm! Than cold and wet, if weather was good here them maybe. As I said I’ll see how it’s looking, lots has changed in last 4 weeks let’s see what next 4 bring.

Into Milan onward to Sienna for the first 2 days, followed by a few days with friends in Naples. Travel the Amalfi coast for the rest of the trip and back to Milan / homeward bound.

Ya lucky duck, sounds great. We normally go to the other side you know... the area that was devastated, Padua (20 min train into Venice), Bologna and Ravenna.

Your Mrs might like this you tube channel, and maybe you will also, “The Positano Diaries”

I hope people like yourself will report back as to how the journey/trip went.

• Advertisement

Ya lucky duck, sounds great. We normally go to the other side you know... the area that was devastated, Padua (20 min train into Venice), Bologna and Ravenna.

Your Mrs might like this you tube channel, and maybe you will also, “The Positano Diaries”

I hope people like yourself will report back as to how the journey/trip went.

We fly into Bergamo last year stayed in the north, Bologna, Ferrara etc. I know the devastated area well.Love the place. By car is the best way to see Italy, although avoiding fines is an art form.
    Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a look.
    Edit
    Had to see where Positano was , beautiful area furthest south I have been was Pompeii quite a drive from Milan. Prehaps when I retire, even have the area in Tuscany picked out . Just 18 more years to go, lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement