Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

3xh wrote: »
    When a Covid-positive nursing home staff member continues to work at a care home after their son (that works in a meat factory) tests positive too, we’ve more serious structural issues to be dealing with.

It only came to light by chance. Not because of processes.

I couldn't agree more. Why this is not getting the publicity it deserves is beyond me. I am not sure if this was also linked to a direct provision situation or not?

I hope not because it means that meat factories are not the only areas that have to be looked at. Other low paid jobs, gig economy, cosying taxi drivers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I don't know either and would be interested to find out.

Personally, I cleared my trip to Greece with my manager and HR before booking flights.
    Both gave me the OK go and asked me to just be careful of myself and others - HR kind of hinted that I should self isolate anyway even if Greece is still in the Green list and not mandatory- which I plan to anyway - or, at very least, restrict my movements.

It obviously helps that I can work from home (working on accounting and finance).

I've been monitoring this. Greece's rate is pretty much moving in line with Ireland's since it went on the green list. However, over the past couple of weeks most of the popular tourist destination have gone into semi-lockdown. This is being reviewed on Tuesday. I'd expect it to be kept in operation for another two weeks to see if cases fall. Greece are doing what they can to get as much as possible out of the tourist season as businesses are really suffering. If numbers don't fall, don't be surprised if they go into full lockdown/curfew mode by the end of September. I was there in July and they really are handling things well when you consider the amount of tourists coming in and bars being open. Their infection rate is still no higher than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭HotMama89

From talking to staff at the hotel where I stayed in Greece it seems they are extending the season into November. They normally finish late October but have been asked to work into November.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yes, but it’s not a travel issue. It’s a personal responsibility issue. That individual, if he didn’t travel, is for sure ignoring all the guidelines and will be hitting a house party over the weekend

I would say it is both a travel issue and a personal responsibility one.

Travel providers need to ensure the safety of their customers and staff, and people need to take responsibility for their actions.

Are airlines ensuring people are asked about their Covid history adequately?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Has the passenger locator form moved to completely online or are there still paper versions at airports?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

At the end, I didn't travel. For various reasons, uncertainty and job-related Covid reasons, and not entirely by my choice as I am not single. But after much hope, everything was too muddled and uncertain and we didn't travel. Took days off, but in the rain here.

And I feel utterly terrible. Travel was the only thing keeping me sane and giving me any kind of hope. Really don't know how I'll push on.

People who think holiday travel is not essential simply do not understand how dark it gets in some people's minds, and how much travel helps with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

There are a lot of Ways of coping with certain situations, people who are dependent on one thing for happiness need to work hard at finding something else that will do if even on a temporary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

https://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-stansted-coronavirus-5188600-Aug2020/

So this genius was put in a position by either feeling unwell, or being a close contact of a diagnosed case that he himself was needing a test and after getting the test and no result he decided to travel. By plane. To a different country.

To knowingly put others at risk of a deadly virus should be seen as a criminal offense.

What an utter c*nt.

If he was concerned enough about Covid that he had gone for a test, what on earth was he doing on a plane? It should definitely be a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hungary- on our green list, is not allowing foreigners in from September 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What an utter c*nt.

If he was concerned enough about Covid that he had gone for a test, what on earth was he doing on a plane? It should definitely be a criminal offence.

Well, I got a test before flying as a precaution, I was symptomless and it was negative but if they had taken too long with the result, I would not have skipped my flight.

However in Ireland and UK I'm guessing you need to have some probability of having covid before they will let you have a test, in which case, yes he was a d*ck.

• Advertisement

Well, I got a test before flying as a precaution, I was symptomless and it was negative but if they had taken too long with the result, I would not have skipped my flight.

However in Ireland and UK I'm guessing you need to have some probability of having covid before they will let you have a test, in which case, yes he was a d*ck.

You can get a free drive through test whenever you want in the UK. No doctor or evidence of symptoms needed. And a result texted to you in 24 hours, I’ve had one when I was over there before flying back, for no particular reason other than out of interest really, and was passing by the Heathrow test centre and there happened to be availability

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself the country I was planning on going to has now banned tourists, however hotels are now moved to next year and trying to get my my flight moved to next year to,

In regards to a green list country I really hope somewhere in the eu will take me
    And my partner in come Oct if not it’s going to be a staycation in Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I couldn't agree more. Why this is not getting the publicity it deserves is beyond me. I am not sure if this was also linked to a direct provision situation or not?

I hope not because it means that meat factories are not the only areas that have to be looked at. Other low paid jobs, gig economy, cosying taxi drivers etc...

I suspect due to the way the article was worded, the nurse mother and meat factory worker son are indeed Direct Provision centre residents.

Let’s hope the extra weekend pay versus normal pay on a Monday wasn’t a feature of her decision making to continue working throughout the weekend but not take a Monday shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

The_Brood wrote: »
    At the end, I didn't travel. For various reasons, uncertainty and job-related Covid reasons, and not entirely by my choice as I am not single. But after much hope, everything was too muddled and uncertain and we didn't travel. Took days off, but in the rain here.

And I feel utterly terrible. Travel was the only thing keeping me sane and giving me any kind of hope. Really don't know how I'll push on.

People who think holiday travel is not essential simply do not understand how dark it gets in some people's minds, and how much travel helps with that.

I would seriously consider booking a weekend away, in your situation. Pick somewhere on the green list or one of the many other countries with a lower infection rate than Ireland. Last minute booking would be best due to increasing entry restrictions on people travelling from Ireland. Go by yourself if your partner doesn't want to. Tell others you are going somewhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Going into Kildare is more dangerous now than walking around New York. If Kildare people enter Dublin they should be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gael23 wrote: »
    Hungary- on our green list, is not allowing foreigners in from September 1st

Ya closing borders for a month, I just booked the other day for September :(
    I'll just try for October instead

Why? If you are concerned enough to take a test 'as a precaution', you really shouldn't be flying, IMO. I don't think anyone would bother to go and get a test unless they really believed they were somewhat likely to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

The_Brood wrote: »

I completely get you. I'll never forget how I felt at the start of the summer when Harris and Varadkar and co were telling us that we probably wouldn't get abroad this year. The idea of endless months of rain and crap here had a huge negative impact on my morale and I was utterly miserable. Once I got the chance to go I didn't hesitate. And I'm so very thankful that I did.

Some people need to get breaks from Ireland for reasons that others, many of them finger waggers, deem non essential. And telling them to staycation is like telling a youngster to take up knitting. Useless and patronising. I advise the same as the other poster. Book yourself a small break somewhere and preferably on the green list to have less hassle.

If you need to get away then you owe it to yourself to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

acequion wrote: »
    Book yourself a small break somewhere and preferably on the green list to have less hassle.

The issue is there are only three countries on the green list will let Irish people in without quarantining (Italy, Greece and Slovakia).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

is everyone still turning a blind eye to the Belfast back door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Delighted to see hundreds, thousands of people protesting against covid 19 restrictions in London, Berlin today.

Its about time the world gets back to some sort of normality and starts to live with this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Germany is expected to announce this week that it will replace Covid-19 testing at airports for passengers from high-risk countries with a mandatory quarantine period of up to 14 days, prompting dismay from airline representatives.

A spokesperson for the German health ministry confirmed to Cirium that federal health minister Jens Spahn had agreed with his counterparts at state level that “long-term” quarantine restrictions should be reintroduced after the summer.

“Testing obligations were necessary to control return traffic and prevent returnees from staying in quarantine for a long time,” says the spokesperson. “With the end of the summer holiday season we return to long-term quarantine rules.”

German chancellor Angela Merkel is expected to announce a final decision on the matter on 27 August.
    As this is the 29th, I assume that this didn’t happen.

VG31 wrote: »
    The issue is there are only three countries on the green list will let Irish people in without quarantining (Italy, Greece and Slovakia).

None of them bad options though. A few days in Rome last week did the wife and I wonders

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

Touched down in Portugal this morning. The beer is flowing the sun is shining and the talent is something else. If anyone is debating whether to travel or not.... just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Would love to go. May have to be a last min decision as need a passport for the newest family member. Wouldn't think twice about Italy or Greece at this point ... We all need a break and our winter is long and dark. A bit of summer sun is essential IMO.

Hope everyone who has travelled or is travelling had / has a ball!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Touched down in Portugal this morning. The beer is flowing the sun is shining and the talent is something else. If anyone is debating whether to travel or not.... just do it.

Which part? Lisbon and Porto are definitely places I'll check whenever I get to Portugal

Hows the social distancing, masks and things in general of feeling safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

arccosh wrote: »
    is everyone still turning a blind eye to the Belfast back door?

They're turning a blind eye and pretending any of this is actually enforced or is even law.

No need for Belfast just go where you like from Dublin, same as it ever was only now there's no queues and when you land there's a crappy looking pile of forms sitting on a sort of lotto stand looking thing in the lobby. No other difference between now and last year.

acequion wrote: »
    I completely get you. I'll never forget how I felt at the start of the summer when Harris and Varadkar and co were telling us that we probably wouldn't get abroad this year. The idea of endless months of rain and crap here had a huge negative impact on my morale and I was utterly miserable. Once I got the chance to go I didn't hesitate. And I'm so very thankful that I did.

Some people need to get breaks from Ireland for reasons that others, many of them finger waggers, deem non essential. And telling them to staycation is like telling a youngster to take up knitting. Useless and patronising. I advise the same as the other poster. Book yourself a small break somewhere and preferably on the green list to have less hassle.

If you need to get away then you owe it to yourself to do just that.

I think this cannot be underestimated.

I've had a hard time with the lockdown and pandemic, and we've had a lovely summer in London, almost every single weekend sunny, several with 30+ temperatures which felt like Spain. Once we were allowed to sit in parks and meet friends outside, it all got much easier, and I do feel like at least I did get a summer, even if it wasn't on holidays or at the coast. I can't imagine how it's been in Ireland with the sh1te weather and endless rain.

Mental health issues are as real as covid, and if people feel the need to get away and have a week or two in the sun, I don't think they should be shamed for that, once they're following the rules around mask wearing on the plane and being sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Are there people policing mask wearing in Dublin airport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

sm3ar wrote: »
    Are there people policing mask wearing in Dublin airport?

I very much hope not!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement