Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

TBH the drinks trolley even being a thing makes the whole thing a joke. How can they on one hand say masks are essential and you need to keep them on, and then on the other hand sell drinks and food, so that someone who kept ordered G&Ts could basically sit for the entire flight without their mask on?

You’re right, it’s just encouraging people to flout the rules.

It’s difficult for airlines, they are a business at the end of the day and need to make money. They’ve incurred huge losses and it would seem that making money outweighs health risks.

Ryanair are still trying to split people up and charge them to sit together. On half full planes that’s pointless and pretty sneaky. You can practically sit anywhere you like when you board, for free. I hope they don’t catch too many people.

On flights that are a bit busier, it’s irresponsible of them to be sitting people next to strangers when they could easily sit partners/families together. Just feels wrong in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

JuanJose wrote: »
    With all due respect to your friend, the sh!tshow that's gone on here (in Spain) - in terms of getting a grip on the spread & keeping a lid on new cases - means that it's hard to take that kind of observation on the Irish seriously tbh.

Love of living in fear or Spanish style 'pasotismo' (careless attitude / indifference), which is the only thing I can conclude is ensuring Spain retains top spot in Europe with regard to new cases per 100k of the population. Two sides of the same coin perhaps?

I would agree though in that, from afar, the new Irish government is sabre rattling much too much. RTE seem to be intent on doing likewise. I'd credit most citizens with having the ability to assess the situation as it is however.

You have more faith in the citizens than I have. Irish people generally don't assess the situation as it is imo and more's the pity. The Irish are ultra conservative, obey authority almost without question, but they do so not out of respect but out of fear and they do it resentfully. Hence the bitching and sniping at those who do think and act from their own decisions.There is a lot of envy at the bolder ones behind all the pontificating. Ireland has always been that way, right back to when church dominated. And nothing has changed. "Plus ca change" and all that.

And I'm Irish born and bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Right so, I checked and it's not mandatory to wear masks in Restaurant-Pubs and Cafes in Ireland, but is advised at least I would say...
    Any Bars, restaurants, cafes, hotels etc. I've been to recently on the continent it is mandatory to wear face coverings unless sat down eating and drinking... I think Ireland&UK are the outliers on that for now...

Ok, so they are Cabin Crew NOT babysitters...!

Every flight i've been on recently the cabin crew made announcements regarding masks and I have heard them tell passengers to place them over their nose...

So, for that person not wearing her mask you would have been perfectly justified in asking her to wear it, or requesting that you be moved to another seat, so i'm not sure if you did that or not, but why just sit there without saying something and waiting for crew to notice?

I did ask her, and she said that she was entitled to drink her coffee. It's not up to me, as a paying passenger, to enforce mask regulations. It's up to the crew who are paid to ensure passenger safety as part of their job.

No, I didn't want to move. Moving around the place is increasing risk, and half the passengers on the flight had their masks off and were eating and drinking. That's not the point.

I did ask her, and she said that she was entitled to drink her coffee. It's not up to me, as a paying passenger, to enforce mask regulations. It's up to the crew who are paid to ensure passenger safety as part of their job.

No, I didn't want to move. Moving around the place is increasing risk, and half the passengers on the flight had their masks off and were eating and drinking. That's not the point.

Sorry but it really does sound like you're too scared to be travelling at the moment and your fear is being projected on to the behaviour of others. You want everyone else to do what you think they should do and that's not on. Half the population is going around with that mindset at the moment, hence the stifling environment we all have live in now. If people would only lay off each other!

Firstly you should have moved seat as the other poster pointed out. Maybe everybody on your flight was maskless and eating and drinking but I've been on four flights this summer and I saw nothing like that. Most people weren't eating as it's too much hassle now. So your flight must have been a major exception in the behaviour of the other passengers if it really was as bad as you perceive.

Secondly, I completely agree with the poster who said that cabin crew are not babysitters. It's not their responsibility to constantly police and crowd control. Cabin crew are not well paid and at present are really fearing for their livelihoods. I think they're doing a great job in the present difficult circumstances and was impressed at their professionalism on my four flights.

acequion wrote: »

Sorry but it really does sound like you're too scared to be travelling at the moment and your fear is being projected on to the behaviour of others. You want everyone else to do what you think they should do and that's not on. Half the population is going around with that mindset at the moment, hence the stifling environment we all have live in now. If people would only lay off each other!

Firstly you should have moved seat as the other poster pointed out. Maybe everybody on your flight was maskless and eating and drinking but I've been on four flights this summer and I saw nothing like that. Most people weren't eating as it's too much hassle now. So your flight must have been a major exception in the behaviour of the other passengers if it really was as bad as you perceive.

Secondly, I completely agree with the poster who said that cabin crew are not babysitters. It's not their responsibility to constantly police and crowd control. Cabin crew are not well paid and at present are really fearing for their livelihoods. I think they're doing a great job in the present difficult circumstances and was impressed at their professionalism on my four flights.

I'm not 'too scared to be travelling'. I comply with the rules, which are there for a reason, and I expect others to do the same. Someone who can't sit on a flight for an hour without sipping their giant latte is a bit of a pathetic baby, in all fairness. There's reasonable drinking (like sipping water when you need to and replacing your mask) and then there's ripping the p1ss.

As I said, either masks are mandatory or they aren't. What kind of message is it sending when it's so important to wear your mask while boarding but once you're sitting down, millimetres from total strangers, you can sit there without one for the entire flight? It sends the message that the masks are just there for optics, and that isn't the case. There has been plenty of evidence that they DO work, and that people who have flown while infected with covid have not passed on the virus to anyone because passengers were wearing masks.

As I said, moving around the plane puts me at greater risk. There's no guarantee that I won't then end up next to someone else who decides to take their mask off and eat or drink. It's always a better idea to stay put and stay still, unless someone is really coughing up a lung or something.

I didn't say people's behaviour was 'that bad'. Nobody was being rowdy, but the fact is that airlines selling people food and drink are sending out the message that masks really aren't that important after all. Is that what we need during a pandemic?

I don't agree that we can't expect cabin crew to enforce the rules. Sorry, but it is literally their job. If people don't fly because they don't feel safe, then they will soon be out of a job, so it's in their best interests to be strict and ensure that all passengers take the rules seriously. I didn't really have an issue with the crew themselves on my flights, the issue was more with the policy of selling food and drink, so that people who might have happily sat there with a mask on for an hour are now not doing so, all to make the airline a few extra quid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    FYP ;)

From what I'm hearing their staff (as always) couldn't give a shíte

Ive been on 3 Ryanair Flights and 1 Easy Jet in the past month, All staff i have came across with both are making sure masks are been worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I did ask her, and she said that she was entitled to drink her coffee. It's not up to me, as a paying passenger, to enforce mask regulations. It's up to the crew who are paid to ensure passenger safety as part of their job. No, I didn't want to move. Moving around the place is increasing risk, and half the passengers on the flight had their masks off and were eating and drinking. That's not the point.

Doesn't sound like a good experience, I definitely would have moved as you'd have to move anyways when you're boarding/de-boarding the aircraft or wanted to use the Toilets.
    I've been on multiple flights long and short in the last couple of months and my experience to date has been the opposite to yours. Flying is still very safe and certainly no more risky than traveling by Train/Luas/Coach bus.

Doesn't sound like a good experience, I definitely would have moved as you'd have to move anyways when you're boarding/de-boarding the aircraft or wanted to use the Toilets.
    I've been on multiple flights long and short in the last couple of months and my experience to date has been the opposite to yours. Flying is still very safe and certainly no more risky than traveling by Train/Luas/Coach bus.

I chose the back row so I would have as little contact as possible with anyone else and was last to board and first off. Good decision which I was happy with.

I'm not saying I felt in danger - I do agree it was better than train/coach/bus and there was a good level of effort there to make things safer, but I think they should not be encouraging people to eat and drink and remove their masks. The more 'weak links' there are on board, the higher the risk. This is just a fact.

I don't agree that we can't expect cabin crew to enforce the rules. Sorry, but it is literally their job. If people don't fly because they don't feel safe, then they will soon be out of a job, so it's in their best interests to be strict and ensure that all passengers take the rules seriously. I didn't really have an issue with the crew themselves on my flights, the issue was more with the policy of selling food and drink, so that people who might have happily sat there with a mask on for an hour are now not doing so, all to make the airline a few extra quid.

I agree it is their job to ensure safety is followed in the cabin and I've seen them do that, but what do you do with grown adults who just won't do what they are required to do?
    People are told they can remove masks only when eating/drinking and to replace them afterwards.

Cabin crew are also trying to minimize there movements around the cabin just as you are in order to limit their own exposure as much as possible, not easy when you are dealing with thousands of people per week in close contact.
    So they can't be walking up and down the aisle every few minutes babysitting?
    I mean what else would you like them to do? I don't think that Police time should be spent accosting passengers for not keeping their mask in place when they alight the aircraft?

I'm not saying I felt in danger - I do agree it was better than train/coach/bus and there was a good level of effort there to make things safer, but I think they should not be encouraging people to eat and drink and remove their masks. The more 'weak links' there are on board, the higher the risk. This is just a fact.

I hear ya, but i've not heard them "encouraging people" to eat and drink? They do trolley service on Ryanair, some airlines have stopped serving food and drink but most are providing the service.
    And on the Ryanair app you can pre-purchase items, so if everyone did that then they could eliminate the trolley service and just look after those who pre-ordered.

Don't forget as well that there's nothing to stop people from bringing their own food and drinks purchased at the airport terminal onboard to eat during the flight. So do airports have to outlaw this and close all outlets selling pre-packed food and drink? Seems a bit extreme?

• Advertisement

I hear ya, but i've not heard them "encouraging people" to eat and drink? They do trolley service on Ryanair, some airlines have stopped serving food and drink but most are providing the service.
    And on the Ryanair app you can pre-purchase items, so if everyone did that then they could eliminate the trolley service and just look after those who pre-ordered.

Don't forget as well that there's nothing to stop people from bringing their own food and drinks purchased at the airport terminal onboard to eat during the flight. So do airports have to outlaw this and close all outlets selling pre-packed food and drink? Seems a bit extreme?

They do trolley service. That is encouraging people to eat and drink! Do you think people can't sit on a morning flight without their latte and croissant?

When the pandemic was in full swing, I believe the norm was not being able to eat/drink (bar water) on short flights...why can that not still be the case? If you're diabetic or have other medical needs, you can bring a doctor's letter, and everyone else can be grown ups and eat before they go to the airport, or when they land?

The message right now is 'you need to keep your mask on at all times....unless you've purchased some of the food and drink we're trying to flog, in which case it's totally grand'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I chose the back row so I would have as little contact as possible with anyone else and was last to board and first off. Good decision which I was happy with.

I understand where you're coming from, and I would agree for a short flight like the one you took.

I will fly home to Greece later this month to visit my family. It is a 4+ hour flight and I can't see how we won't have any food/drinks service at all.
    To be fair to the airline though (flying with Aegean, the Greek airline), they seem to be somewhat conscious of the situation. Yesterday I got an email with a survey to provide some feedback. 2 of the questions were related to food. Aegean in international flights over 2 hours usually offer hot food (included in the price). In the relevant questions I mentioned that my preference would be pre-packed food and bottled drinks, I think it makes it easier.

I am also confident that the cabin crew will do their best to enforce mask wearing. In the end of the day though if someone wants to behave like an idiot, they will do. For that reason, I decided to book a window seat to avoid as much interaction with people as possible. The airline seemed to hint that, where possible, they will leave middle seats empty. I don't expect the flight to be full, so this could work. Another thing that will help is that the flight from Dublin to Athens is a night flight, so chances are most (if not all) people will try to get some sleep. I also understand that boarding is done by rows, so I expect to be last in and first out (I have booked a ticket that allowed me to select seats in the first 3 rows of the plane)

I guess what I'm trying to say is you can only be in control of your own actions and do the best you can to protect yourself and others. And hope that the vast majority of other people will do the same.

They do trolley service. That is encouraging people to eat and drink! Do you think people can't sit on a morning flight without their latte and croissant? When the pandemic was in full swing, I believe the norm was not being able to eat/drink (bar water) on short flights...why can that not still be the case? If you're diabetic or have other medical needs, you can bring a doctor's letter, and everyone else can be grown ups and eat before they go to the airport, or when they land? The message right now is 'you need to keep your mask on at all times....unless you've purchased some of the food and drink we're trying to flog, in which case it's totally grand'.

Like I've said, people can bring their own food and drink onboard so they can remove their masks at anytime during the flight to consume them.
    Unless you want laws brought in to stop passengers from eating and drinking on flights?

I mean in Ireland there's no law that requires people to wear masks in Cafe/bar/restaurants whereas in Europe the requirement is to wear them. Same for wearing masks Outdoors where social distancing isn't possible or in busy areas, in Ireland/UK there's no rules/law on that but in Europe you have to wear them.
    So if we're serious about mask wearing then it needs to be supported by measures to wear them everywhere as i've said above..

I'm not 'too scared to be travelling'. I comply with the rules, which are there for a reason, and I expect others to do the same. Someone who can't sit on a flight for an hour without sipping their giant latte is a bit of a pathetic baby, in all fairness. There's reasonable drinking (like sipping water when you need to and replacing your mask) and then there's ripping the p1ss.

As I said, either masks are mandatory or they aren't. What kind of message is it sending when it's so important to wear your mask while boarding but once you're sitting down, millimetres from total strangers, you can sit there without one for the entire flight? It sends the message that the masks are just there for optics, and that isn't the case. There has been plenty of evidence that they DO work, and that people who have flown while infected with covid have not passed on the virus to anyone because passengers were wearing masks.

As I said, moving around the plane puts me at greater risk. There's no guarantee that I won't then end up next to someone else who decides to take their mask off and eat or drink. It's always a better idea to stay put and stay still, unless someone is really coughing up a lung or something.

I didn't say people's behaviour was 'that bad'. Nobody was being rowdy, but the fact is that airlines selling people food and drink are sending out the message that masks really aren't that important after all. Is that what we need during a pandemic?

Let's agree to disagree re the essential roles of cabin staff.

However, ALL your posts are constantly about what other people should and shouldn't be doing.Of the many posters who have documented their travel experiences on this thread yours has by far been the most negative and the most complaining of others and you keep harping on about it. We can only control our own behaviour, not that of others.And by your own admission, nobody actually behaved that badly. The fact is that people have the right to eat and drink maskless. And it's our own responsibility to move away from people we're not comfortable around. Not everybody's interpretation of regulations and recommendations are the same.Most unfortunately basic respect for the autonomy of other people has gone out the window in this pandemic and I find the people labeling others as selfish are often the most selfish ones. I'm not saying you are so don't take my words personally.

But I still feel that you shouldn't travel, you shouldn't put yourself out there much until this is over because you are never going to be satisfied by the behaviour and actions of others and will always be uneasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sorry, but it is literally their job.
    Sorry but legally its not. Can you please point me towards one LAW that they can quote to the passenger and if the passenger refuses politely, they can have the police arrest them on landing?

Lainey_d_123, I seriously hope that your family business in Ireland is concluded, because traveling isnt good for your health.

As for me, if I was concerned about the passengers on the flight, i would wear a N95/FPP mask and ignore them, as well as bring my own sanitiser and wipes as I consider my personal health to be my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

However, ALL your posts are constantly about what other people should and shouldn't be doing.Of the many posters who have documented their travel experiences on this thread yours has by far been the most negative and the most complaining of others and you keep harping on about it. We can only control our own behaviour, not that of others.And by your own admission, nobody actually behaved that badly. The fact is that people have the right to eat and drink maskless. And it's our own responsibility to move away from people we're not comfortable around. Not everybody's interpretation of regulations and recommendations are the same.Most unfortunately basic respect for the autonomy of other people has gone out the window in this pandemic and I find the people labeling others as selfish are often the most selfish ones. I'm not saying you are so don't take my words personally.

But I still feel that you shouldn't travel, you shouldn't put yourself out there much until this is over because you are never going to be satisfied by the behaviour and actions of others and will always be uneasy.

This.

Lainey_d_123, you say you are "not too scared to travel" but IIRC there were at least 2-3 pages of this thread a while back dedicated to answering all you questions regarding your trip over from the UK: what seat to take, what airport to fly from, was 20min more on the train riskier than waiting at the airport an extra hour etc etc etc
    I'm not judging you, i dont know your personal circumstances so maybe these fears are more than justified. but please dont say you are not scared of flying.

i think it's unreasonable to prohibit eating/drinking on a plane and if it's not prohibited, ryanair should be allowed to sell food and drinks. i'm not here to defend an airline that i absolutely despise from a customer service standpoint, but they are out there running a service at a huge financial loss to get people from point A to point B at a very reasonable cost. at least allow them to make a few extra quid by selling peanuts and sodas

if you are so anxious that you wouldnt even consider moving to a different seat on a plane, there is an alternative: you can buy multiple seats for yourself on ryanair. buy the whole row and the seat in front of you. tickets are cheap enough that you can actually do it compared to a regular ticket in the summer season pre-covid

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

They do trolley service. That is encouraging people to eat and drink! Do you think people can't sit on a morning flight without their latte and croissant?

When the pandemic was in full swing, I believe the norm was not being able to eat/drink (bar water) on short flights...why can that not still be the case? If you're diabetic or have other medical needs, you can bring a doctor's letter, and everyone else can be grown ups and eat before they go to the airport, or when they land?

The message right now is 'you need to keep your mask on at all times....unless you've purchased some of the food and drink we're trying to flog, in which case it's totally grand'.

Sounds like you've figured it out.

The masks aren't worth a sh;te in stopping the spread of Covid - their primary purpose is to reassure frightened people (like yourself) that it's ok to do something they would otherwise be nervous of doing.

The smart people have figured this out and the food/drink thing allows them to avoid the mask nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,577 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cases rising in Gran Canaria

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Cases rising in Gran Canaria

Read an article earlier, said it was mostly residents in the capital Las Palmas rather than tourists. It’s the opposite end of the island to the holiday resorts.

Strange one. After going so long without many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,577 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Read an article earlier, said it was mostly residents in the capital Las Palmas rather than tourists. It’s the opposite end of the island to the holiday resorts.

Strange one. After going so long without many cases.

Linked to a Spanish serial spreader apparently

• Advertisement

I'm not 'harping on about' anything. I'm giving an honest account of what my flying experience was like. Sorry if it's killing your buzz or something, I'm being honest so that others know what to expect. I wasn't dramatic or exaggerating a single thing, I noted the good parts of the flight, but I'm being honest that quite a few people got around the mask rules by drinking something slowly for basically the entire flight. That might put people off going somewhere - that's their decision to make, not yours.

Bit ridiculous to expect passengers on a plane to move - many of the flights are completely full. So what do you do then? We are all relying on other people to have cop on and not be selfish, that is how this all works. There's no such thing as 'just look out for yourself' in a pandemic.

As for 'autonomy', the rules are there for a reason. If people don't want to wear a mask or follow the rules, THEY are the ones who shouldn't fly. Not just decide that they're special and they can do whatever they feel like doing. You just don't seem to get it.

Sounds like you've figured it out.

The masks aren't worth a sh;te in stopping the spread of Covid - their primary purpose is to reassure frightened people (like yourself) that it's ok to do something they would otherwise be nervous of doing.

The smart people have figured this out and the food/drink thing allows them to avoid the mask nonsense.

Weird that all the doctors I know, including a research scientist who has appeared on TV during this, all tell me that masks are extremely effective. Just look at how low rates have been in countries where they were adopted early and widely.

I know who I'll choose to listen to, and it isn't some randomer from the internet.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sorry but legally its not. Can you please point me towards one LAW that they can quote to the passenger and if the passenger refuses politely, they can have the police arrest them on landing?

Lainey_d_123, I seriously hope that your family business in Ireland is concluded, because traveling isnt good for your health.

As for me, if I was concerned about the passengers on the flight, i would wear a N95/FPP mask and ignore them, as well as bring my own sanitiser and wipes as I consider my personal health to be my concern.

If I were selfish, I would indeed wear an N95 mask because they protect the wearer and no-one else. Several airlines have banned them.

Personal health isn't the concern in a pandemic, we ALL need to think about others, assume we have it and try not to spread it, but attitudes like this are why it's managed to spread so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Weird that all the doctors I know, including a research scientist who has appeared on TV during this, all tell me that masks are extremely effective. Just look at how low rates have been in countries where they were adopted early and widely.

I know who I'll choose to listen to, and it isn't some randomer from the internet.

Gerry Killeen?

https://twitter.com/TonightVMTV/status/1265031670970941440

I'm not 'harping on about' anything. I'm giving an honest account of what my flying experience was like. Sorry if it's killing your buzz or something, I'm being honest so that others know what to expect. I wasn't dramatic or exaggerating a single thing, I noted the good parts of the flight, but I'm being honest that quite a few people got around the mask rules by drinking something slowly for basically the entire flight. That might put people off going somewhere - that's their decision to make, not yours.

Bit ridiculous to expect passengers on a plane to move - many of the flights are completely full. So what do you do then? We are all relying on other people to have cop on and not be selfish, that is how this all works. There's no such thing as 'just look out for yourself' in a pandemic.

As for 'autonomy', the rules are there for a reason. If people don't want to wear a mask or follow the rules, THEY are the ones who shouldn't fly. Not just decide that they're special and they can do whatever they feel like doing. You just don't seem to get it.

Firstly, drop the attitude! I don't have any "buzz" in pointing out the obvious to you. And it's very clearly you that doesn't "get it."

Secondly, it's neither ridiculous or unreasonable to expect a person to move seats in a pandemic and there are ZERO flights completely full right now.

Thirdly, there is no rule forcing a person to eat and drink with a mask on because it would be impossible. How long it takes a person to eat and drink is their autonomy and not for people like you to dictate. Tough if that doesn't suit you!

Lastly, I wasn't going to bring this up but as another poster pointed out, albeit rather bitchily, you have massively changed your tune since the start of the pandemic. I remember you on early threads being very reasonable around people's freedoms and autonomies and rightly taking issue with posters saying you shouldn't be on narrow busy streets. You were pointing out how city appartment dwellers needed to get out for air even if that did cause some congestion in streets. You have since become as intolerant as the people you were then taking issue with.

Lots of posters have tried to point out to you that perhaps the problem is you and not other people. But you can't /won't even consider that possibility and want to lash out at everyone. It's very tiresome and I've neither time nor patience for it.

So snipe back at me if you've nothing better to be doing but this will be my last post on the subject.

Firstly, drop the attitude! I don't have any "buzz" in pointing out the obvious to you. And it's very clearly you that doesn't "get it."

Secondly, it's neither ridiculous or unreasonable to expect a person to move seats in a pandemic and there are ZERO flights completely full right now.

Thirdly, there is no rule forcing a person to eat and drink with a mask on because it would be impossible. How long it takes a person to eat and drink is their autonomy and not for people like you to dictate. Tough if that doesn't suit you!

Lastly, I wasn't going to bring this up but as another poster pointed out, albeit rather bitchily, you have massively changed your tune since the start of the pandemic. I remember you on early threads being very reasonable around people's freedoms and autonomies and rightly taking issue with posters saying you shouldn't be on narrow busy streets. You were pointing out how city appartment dwellers needed to get out for air even if that did cause some congestion in streets. You have since become as intolerant as the people you were then taking issue with.

Lots of posters have tried to point out to you that perhaps the problem is you and not other people. But you can't /won't even consider that possibility and want to lash out at everyone. It's very tiresome and I've neither time nor patience for it.

So snipe back at me if you've nothing better to be doing but this will be my last post on the subject.

You're talking rubbish, then. My flight from Stansted to Belfast was FULL. Literally full. Not one spare seat, people crammed in, overhead lockers full. And this isn't that unusual. A lot of the flights to and from NI have been that busy.

But sure, only your experience counts, and anyone who disagrees with you or has experienced something different is just plain wrong.

I love how you see no difference at all between someone who says they would love to be sitting in a park OUTDOORS and someone who actually is sitting shoulder to shoulder with others on a PACKED AEROPLANE without a mask on. As if they are remotely the same thing.

I'd also like to remind you that I DID NOT break lockdown rules or sit in the park, as much as I would have loved to. I sucked it up and followed the rules. I also absolutely hate wearing a mask, but guess what? I understand that it's important to do so, and I comply with that where relevant. If I don't feel like wearing one, then I just stay at home or remain outdoors. I don't go into places without one and expect other people to be OK with it. I at all times work under the assumption that I may have covid, and I don't want others to get it, which is what we've been told to do. It's not that hard if you're not a self centred moron.

Good God.

Had been booked to travel to Kiev in two days for a city break, in Kilkenny instead, having decided against the idea of travelling abroad. I was just letting the booking slip by as I could do little about it anyway, once having made the decision not to travel, the hotel is a small city centre family run budget place of good repute, I'm not begrudging their retaining my but of money in a difficult time. Ryanair are still running their flights, and no doubt Ukrainian nationals want to be able to travel home. Ryanair sent me a notification today, 2 days before travel date, that Ukraine are forbidding entry to all except nationals and residents, and that this was beyond their control. I applaud Ukraine for taking the measure to protect their citizens, and indeed Ryanair are not responsible for the situation.

Urging us to travel on their flights is of course a business tactic, and one that's trying to keep the company afloat, but we would be less than wise to book at this stage. I feel particularly sorry for pilots, who not alone are losing their jobs, but they are also losing currency so that they may be unable to resume work even if the Covid situation resolves. In fact we will be do short of current pilots there will be a shortage of flights for about a year or two after we have a resolution, pending retraining of pilots and new career pilots, with considerable loss of experience and maybe an element of safety margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Sorry, you are spouting complete rubbish. You knew before flying that people would be allowed remove their masks to eat and drink.. If you didn't like this, you didn't have to fly.

I took both short and long distance flights in early April. Aer Lingus had no trolley service from Heathrow to Ireland - however there was also no requirement to wear a mask then either. I wasn't wearing one and neither were any of the 6 passengers or cabin crew. I also brought food with me to eat...

As someone who flew across the globe in early April and someone who flew in the EU last week, I would argue that the improvement in Covid 19 safety since then is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

EU Commission are preparing and will publish soon a harmonised approach for travel across the EU - indicators for green and red zones etc. Let’s see what comes out of this but if it is fair and sensible then great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement