Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If I were selfish, I would indeed wear an N95 mask because they protect the wearer and no-one else. Several airlines have banned them.

You need to check your facts on this as you are wrong, they have banned filtered masks as they expel air and therefore only protect the wearer. Normal N95 masks aren’t banned.

Personal health isn't the concern in a pandemic, we ALL need to think about others, assume we have it and try not to spread it, but attitudes like this are why it's managed to spread so far.
    I know that I presently don’t have it and haven’t had it, but I have still worn a mask since March when in public, the type of mask depended on the location and ranges from basic cloth masks, surgical masks to N95.

As others have pointed out, all of your posts on this subject have shown that this flight really troubled you, so you need to avoid flying.

but they are also losing currency so that they may be unable to resume work even if the Covid situation resolves. In fact we will be do short of current pilots there will be a shortage of flights for about a year or two after we have a resolution, pending retraining of pilots and new career pilots, with considerable loss of experience and maybe an element of safety margin.

Currency can be reestablished, we have rules regarding the period of expired currency and the amount of training required. As this is impacting pilots worldwide, what will probably disappear is the requirement for new-hires to be current or have flown type in xx period of time as there simply wont be applicants. Unfortunately what we are also going to see are terms and conditions falling into the gutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

EU Commission are preparing and will publish soon a harmonised approach for travel across the EU - indicators for green and red zones etc. Let’s see what comes out of this but if it is fair and sensible then great.

Unfortunately, there's a good chance that our gov will do as they did with the EU advice to relax travel restrictions from 30th June and let NYPHET make that call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

EU Commission are preparing and will publish soon a harmonised approach for travel across the EU - indicators for green and red zones etc. Let’s see what comes out of this but if it is fair and sensible then great.

That would be great. Let's hope that our Govt follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Tazz T wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there's a good chance that our gov will do as they did with the EU advice to relax travel restrictions from 30th June and let NYPHET make that call.

If there is an EU wide precedent there will be pressure to follow suit despite NPHET “advice”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I flew in the other day, this time from a non green list country.

Once again not one sign, one piece of paper or anything about the restriction of movement on arrival into the country. Everything is about filling out the form, nothing else.

The border officer just took my form, quick check to see it was filled out and signed. Quick scan of the passport and away. Total 10 seconds at the desk.

How are people coming into the country supposed to find out about the government advice?

My view is that the government don’t care officially about anyone coming in and just have that form filling to keep the country happy thinking that the border is a strict place. It is the total opposite.

Get flying folks and enjoy a holiday abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I flew in the other day, this time from a non green list country.Once again not one sign, one piece of paper or anything about the restriction of movement on arrival into the country. Everything is about filling out the form, nothing else.The border officer just took my form, quick check to see it was filled out and signed. Quick scan of the passport and away. Total 10 seconds at the desk.How are people coming into the country supposed to find out about the government advice?My view is that the government don’t care officially about anyone coming in and just have that form filling to keep the country happy thinking that the border is a strict place. It is the total opposite.
    Get flying folks and enjoy a holiday abroad!

The Irish PLF is online, so you fill that out and get the email response with the links to the requirements on restriction of movements from the HSE.
    You'll get an SMS message advising to restrict movements, and a follow up one asking if you are still residing at the address given on your form. You may then also get a follow up call from the HSE to check this further.

All details and links on the Covid restrictions are available and advised on the Online forms etc. So if people choose to ignore this and ignore their responsibilities then there's only so much that can be done.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Currency can be reestablished, we have rules regarding the period of expired currency and the amount of training required. As this is impacting pilots worldwide, what will probably disappear is the requirement for new-hires to be current or have flown type in xx period of time as there simply wont be applicants. Unfortunately what we are also going to see are terms and conditions falling into the gutter.

Yeah, even a bit of flying in Cessnas in the meantime would be better than absolutely nothing to keep in touch with very basic skills and keep up morale. Did a bit of hobby flying in the 80s, and I know even PPLs would likely now be competing for aircraft hire to maintain minimum annual hours for the basic license, wherever the schools/companies are open. There must be quite some cleaning required between flights as the cockpit environment is tight.

I presume commercial pilots are using simulators to maintain skills, but there would be extra demand on time slots for these now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Gael23 wrote: »
    If there is an EU wide precedent there will be pressure to follow suit despite NPHET “advice”

NPHET drew on the ECDC metrics. If there are new metrics it would be difficult for them to go against - I expect the moral police will still wag their fingers for foreign travellers.

Shows that people are flying.
    Jack1985 wrote: »
    Ryanair August results out;

Load Factor - 73% comparable to previous Winter periods in earlier Great Recession.
    Pax - 7m in Aug 20 (14.9m in Aug 19) down 53% with 60% capacity in operation.
    Rolling basis, annual traffic down 40% to 88.9m

• Advertisement

NPHET drew on the ECDC metrics. If there are new metrics it would be difficult for them to go against - I expect the moral police will still wag their fingers for foreign travellers.

I have no fear about going abroad. What is an issue for me is thst I won’t have insurance cover if I do

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

BS from the health minister today on the green list:

"If we essentially pegged the countries that qualify to our own rate, we would have something perverse happening, which is as the prevalence of COVID increased in Ireland, we would be opening ourselves up to more and more countries with high rates of COVID," Stephen Donnelly told the Newstalk radio station.

"If we were simply to do that, it would self-evidently lead to a higher spread of the virus in the country. That's why we have it under review at the moment."

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/09/02/world/europe/02reuters-health-coronavirus-ireland-travel.html?partner=IFTTT

Surely the rate in Ireland would actually be lower (slightly) if people were allowed to travel to areas with lower infection rates, as they are less likely to catch Covid there than they are staying in Ireland.

Wallander wrote: »

"If we essentially pegged the countries that qualify to our own rate, we would have something perverse happening, which is as the prevalence of COVID increased in Ireland, we would be opening ourselves up to more and more countries with high rates of COVID," Stephen Donnelly told the Newstalk radio station.

"If we were simply to do that, it would self-evidently lead to a higher spread of the virus in the country. That's why we have it under review at the moment."

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/09/02/world/europe/02reuters-health-coronavirus-ireland-travel.html?partner=IFTTT

Surely the rate in Ireland would actually be lower (slightly) if people were allowed to travel to areas with lower infection rates, as they are less likely to catch Covid there than they are staying in Ireland.

Yep I really didn't get the sense in what he was saying at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

To me it just confirms the suspicion that the whole travel policy has been based on an argument that travel is bad and always dangerous and needs to be restricted as much as possible, rather than an actual rational analysis of the level of risk and how to mitigate it.

I have no fear about going abroad. What is an issue for me is thst I won’t have insurance cover if I do

Have you thought about waiting until 2021? Not sure you have considered that at all...

To me it just confirms the suspicion that the whole travel policy has been based on an argument that travel is bad and always dangerous and needs to be restricted as much as possible, rather than an actual rational analysis of the level of risk and how to mitigate it.

If they are pursuing a Zero Covid policy as New Zealand/Australia are then they should just tell us instead of pretending to be "trying best to live with the virus" BS they claim to be doing..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Irish PLF is online, so you fill that out and get the email response with the links to the requirements on restriction of movements from the HSE.
    You'll get an SMS message advising to restrict movements, and a follow up one asking if you are still residing at the address given on your form. You may then also get a follow up call from the HSE to check this further.

All details and links on the Covid restrictions are available and advised on the Online forms etc. So if people choose to ignore this and ignore their responsibilities then there's only so much that can be done.

There is no requirement to fill out the form online. From my observation the other evening, everyone was scrambling to complete the paper forms even though there was an announcement saying it can be completed online.

If they really cared about the restriction of movement, they could issue a slip of paper saying this is what they expect you to do and also some signs saying the same. Nothing of the sort and no mention of it by two different officers on entering the State.

It is only advice like annual flu advice. How do France, Spain, Germany and Italy (Big EU powerhouses) have their borders open to most EU citizens and are happy with it and we don’t?

Donnelly’s nonsense on the green list only confirms this.

Open EU travel and ban travel to known hotspots in specific regions.

To be fair he has been consistent in not making sense since he took office.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    There is no requirement to fill out the form online. From my observation the other evening, everyone was scrambling to complete the paper forms even though there was an announcement saying it can be completed online.If they really cared about the restriction of movement, they could issue a slip of paper saying this is what they expect you to do and also some signs saying the same. Nothing of the sort and no mention of it by two different officers on entering the State.
    It is only advice like annual flu advice. How do France, Spain, Germany and Italy (Big EU powerhouses) have their borders open to most EU citizens and are happy with it and we don’t?
    Donnelly’s nonsense on the green list only confirms this.
    Open EU travel and ban travel to known hotspots in specific regions.

In fairness i've been to various EU countries and no one tells you at the border what to do or issues you with a slip of paper either. All info is online and you can scan barcodes at various airports with your phone that will tell you the requirements, or when you fill out online forms for various countries.

I did notice the scramble of people to fill out the paper form, which is why I did the online form and was through the passport check first.

The current NPHET policy is basically "Ireland is closed" which is costing Business €Millions per day in lost revenue...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

In fairness i've been to various EU countries and no one tells you at the border what to do or issues you with a slip of paper either. All info is online and you can scan barcodes at various airports with your phone that will tell you the requirements, or when you fill out online forms for various countries.

I did notice the scramble of people to fill out the paper form, which is why I did the online form and was through the passport check first.

The current NPHET policy is basically "Ireland is closed" which is costing Business €Millions per day in lost revenue...

When traveling to Italy and Spain in late July I was sent an email by Ryanair giving me the links to the forms I had to fill out. On those websites you had all the necessary info on what to do when you arrived at your destination based on your country of origin.

When flying back to Dublin from Valencia I was told by the Ryaairn check-in staff that I would have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon arrival but no mention of the covid form (i had already filled it out before leaving thanks to advice on this thread). Had I not checked in my bag I wouldnt have been told about the 14 quarantine

2 weeks ago I checked a few flights for business reasons to Amsterdam and Frankfurt. Both KLM and Lufthansa give you info on COVID restrictions based on the destination you are searching for.

I agree that people should seek information regarding policies/restrictions before traveling but not everybody does so relying on the airlines to disseminate the info is probably the best solution

• Advertisement

Have you thought about waiting until 2021? Not sure you have considered that at all...

Yes I have and that’s what I will do.
    My point is that if I was able to get insurance cover this summer I would be happy to travel

My point is that if I was able to get insurance cover this summer I would be happy to travel

Ah right, hadn't realised you would plan on waiting until next year or so..not like you have mentioned this at all on this particular thread..

Travel insurance.. definitely need that for holidaying in the EU, oh yes, very essential...

On the insurance issue - if Ryanair sells insurance on a flight, is that destination then covered if if it is on the red list.

For me - I would differentiate Eu and non EU when it comes to insurance - the EHIC is the critical difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

This is what I was thinking. There were spikes in Donegal and Kerry recently because of the large numbers of staycationers when both they and Donegal/Kerry residents would have been safer if they'd went abroad to low infection rate countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

acequion wrote: »
    You have more faith in the citizens than I have. Irish people generally don't assess the situation as it is imo and more's the pity. The Irish are ultra conservative, obey authority almost without question, but they do so not out of respect but out of fear and they do it resentfully. Hence the bitching and sniping at those who do think and act from their own decisions.There is a lot of envy at the bolder ones behind all the pontificating. Ireland has always been that way, right back to when church dominated. And nothing has changed. "Plus ca change" and all that.

And I'm Irish born and bred.

It goes back before that; the English domination. The church simply latched on to a population already used to being dominated and thus submissive. It made their "job" easier. That is why they chose Ireland; that and the high birth rate

NB your post is spot on! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

If anybody wants to travel just go. I'm still here in Prague, so nice here. Face masks have been reintroduced in buses and trams but other than that it's fine. No drama. Weather will still be fine in September. Go to a museum, go see some attraction, a car show...

Get out of that mad place, you deserve it. There's no threat anywhere really. Just wash your hands and it'll be grand.

PFA... I'm having a beer for lunch. Budvar 11°. Maybe I'll have another one, then more somewhere else in town...

20200903-125419.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Really and truly, once you leave Ireland you see what a pit you've been hiding in for the last 4 months and there really was nothing to be afraid of, the streets of Europe are bustling and it is all fully safe as people are respecting the precautions taken. Like most people in a hard place though, it's convincing them to get out of it that's the hard part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

1123heavy wrote: »
    Really and truly, once you leave Ireland you see what a pit you've been hiding in for the last 4 months and there really was nothing to be afraid of, the streets of Europe are bustling and it is all fully safe as people are respecting the precautions taken. Like most people in a hard place though, it's convincing them to get out of it that's the hard part!
    Yeh..... don’t know about that...London is dead... some specific places may be busy but in general most people staying away. Streets definitely not even close to bustling

Yeh..... don’t know about that...London is dead... some specific places may be busy but in general most people staying away. Streets definitely not even close to bustling

London is a kip.

• Advertisement

Holidays in London, yeh I don't think so lol ... when travelling somewhere you should pick a destination where you have a sense of freedom. UK is basically Ireland, same thing. You need to go to mainland Europe. Somewhere where you can drink beer wherever you want. Somewhere where you feel like an adult, not like a child that's being told where you can and can't have fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement