Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They do need to get their act together or they are going to destroy connectivity and what remains of the tourism industry.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/airport-covid-tests-could-replace-14-day-quarantine-under-new-government-plan-39500765.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

1123heavy wrote: »
    Really and truly, once you leave Ireland you see what a pit you've been hiding in for the last 4 months and there really was nothing to be afraid of, the streets of Europe are bustling and it is all fully safe as people are respecting the precautions taken. Like most people in a hard place though, it's convincing them to get out of it that's the hard part!
    That is exactly what NPHET wants the people of Ireland to do ..... hide away. Next up, they will probably want to turn off the Internet just in case we get good news from outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

14-day travel restrictions could be waived under government's new Covid roadmap
    https://www.thejournal.ie/14-day-travel-restrictions-could-be-waived-under-governments-new-covid-roadmap-5194840-Sep2020/
    ...and as some of us have long suspected, come mid-September (the end of the high season for summer travel) the government "suddenly" realizes that its overly restrictive travel policies have been ineffective in slowing covid infections and so we are NOW looking at what other European countries are doing/have done which have had way more flexible travel policies and case numbers/100k have risen less than ireland... "because we need connectivity, we need to have a plan for the next 6, 12, 18 months as the pandemic is not going away"
    i'd love to hear from some of the people i was debating with in june/july about "the government knows best" "we must follow the rules" "those traveling are selfish...think the rules dont apply to them"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They do need to get their act together or they are going to destroy connectivity and what remains of the tourism industry.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/airport-covid-tests-could-replace-14-day-quarantine-under-new-government-plan-39500765.html

They have giving the public nothing to think that they have the ability to manage this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

They have giving the public nothing to think that they have the ability to manage this.

I'll just add to that by saying they have given the public nothing to think that they have the ability to manage even the most basic government functions.
    A shambles from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Travel insurance.. definitely need that for holidaying in the EU, oh yes, very essential...

For which issues do you need travel insurance in the EU?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Regarding the PLF moving online. There is no reference to restricting your movements on it. 2 friends returned to Ireland and completed it. They said the email receipt says that you are “advised” to restrict your movements.

They both got follow up calls too from a call centre that wasn’t located in Ireland. They were asked to confirm their address and given some basic public health advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

faceman wrote: »
    Regarding the PLF moving online. There is no reference to restricting your movements on it. 2 friends returned to Ireland and completed it. They said the email receipt says that you are “advised” to restrict your movements.

They both got follow up calls too from a call centre that wasn’t located in Ireland. They were asked to confirm their address and given some basic public health advice.

It was always advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

faceman wrote: »

interesting. Couldn't they just do it from an Irish call center? To be honest I never reply to calls from unknown numbers outside of Ireland. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

It was always advisory.

Indeed it has been, but yet the press and media still refer to it as quarantine !, only offence befor online form was if you refused to fill out the form itself, nothing else besides that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

thank you Prague for everything! Live music! Wow, it's been months since I saw a band playing live...

beer stands everywhere, burger stands everywhere... it's so nice!

20200904-172755.jpg

20200904-183222.jpg

20200904-181522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Obviously a common approach is better than what we have.

It will all come down to the thresholds between the colour codes and the level or restriction as a result

The stand out issue again is that the map will be updated weekly, which means that travel plans will remain very difficult to make.

Edit. You also get the sense in the media that the government are looking for an 'out' for our self imposed travel rules. This could be what they needed

Feria40 wrote: »

It will all come down to the thresholds between the colour codes and the level or restriction as a result

The stand out issue again is that the map will be updated weekly, which means that travel plans will remain very difficult to make.

Edit. You also get the sense in the media that the government are looking for an 'out' for our self imposed travel rules. This could be what they needed

The main travel season is out of the way and the schools are back . Government won't give much of a feck about travel in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Diabhalta wrote: »
    thank you Prague for everything! Live music! Wow, it's been months since I saw a band playing live...

beer stands everywhere, burger stands everywhere... it's so nice!

Looks pretty ****e in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It did seem like she had Phil Hogan in mind in writing that.

It did seem like she had Phil Hogan in mind in writing that.

Who'd have thought it.. we might have big Phil to thank for a more common sense travel approach! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

It is a positive development and gives hope. However, I hate to hear the mention of the word "quarantine" as a requirement to quarantine or even our ambiguous "restrict movements" is an effective travel ban for thousands of workers and by extension, their families and partners. Which will continue to depress tourism and aviation. Testing is definitely the way forward.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Looks pretty ****e in fairness.

you're just jealous, because you're stuck home and have nothing to do while I'm here drinking one beer after another, eating burgers, while listening to Harleys and live bands on stage. Lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah I bet Friday night in Cork is super amazing experience with all this covid bullsh1t on every corner.

:D

20200904-174514.jpg

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Yeah I bet Friday night in Cork is super amazing experience with all this covid bullsh1t on every corner.

:D

20200904-174514.jpg

Winner

Winner

Girls gave me some free Playboy magazines, I couldn't refuse ;)

ZZ Top revival, probably first and last live gig this year. Amazing to hear live music... beers, burgers and rock n roll... love it..

20200904-202649.jpg

cool Airstream trailer, got very busy later in the evening... no social distancing, shocking!!! I should've call the cops lol :D

20200904-195755.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Lash_Alert wrote: »
    Well, you're an idiot.

Well, it turned out one of us was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

1123heavy wrote: »
    Really and truly, once you leave Ireland you see what a pit you've been hiding in for the last 4 months and there really was nothing to be afraid of, the streets of Europe are bustling and it is all fully safe as people are respecting the precautions taken. Like most people in a hard place though, it's convincing them to get out of it that's the hard part!

The sense of tension I feel in Dublin wasn’t there when I traveled. People are being more sensible in terms of distancing and masks yet, at the same time, are getting on with their lives to a greater degree than we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Has anybody travelled to the UK yet? If so , how was your experience with customs etc ?

I’m contemplating making the trip soon with my child to visit family and stay in a hotel when over there . I’m so sick of all this control the government has ... when we arrive back to the uk it’s automatic quarantine but going over nothing except for a customs form to fill out ? 🀨

If anybody is in any doubt about the level of national obsession over this virus,having Ronan Glynn on a late night Friday night entertainment show says it all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I very much doubt you'd find that carry on in any other European channel. Europeans sensibly switch off and unwind on a Friday night. Here in Ireland the pubs are closed and the acting CMO is on the telly.

There are times when you couldn't make this country up! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

acequion wrote: »
    If anybody is in any doubt about the level of national obsession over this virus,having Ronan Glynn on a late night Friday night entertainment show says it all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I very much doubt you'd find that carry on in any other European channel. Europeans sensibly switch off and unwind on a Friday night. Here in Ireland the pubs are closed and the acting CMO is on the telly.

There are times when you couldn't make this country up! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even pre Covid, the LLS was a misery fest. I genuinely don't understand RTEs obsession with misery and Ryan. He is a very poor interviewer, scripted and wooden.

• Advertisement

Even pre Covid, the LLS was a misery fest. I genuinely don't understand RTEs obsession with misery and Ryan. He is a very poor interviewer, scripted and wooden.

Agree on the first bit which is why I never watch it. But personally I don't mind Ryan. Prefer him to his predecessor Pat Kenny. A topic for another thread I guess. :)

But am in much better form this Saturday having watched some nice escapism on Netflix last night. No wonder there is a pervasive atmosphere of fear and misery in Ireland. People have to get out of the country to properly realise it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement