Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

acequion wrote: »
    If anybody is in any doubt about the level of national obsession over this virus,having Ronan Glynn on a late night Friday night entertainment show says it all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I very much doubt you'd find that carry on in any other European channel. Europeans sensibly switch off and unwind on a Friday night. Here in Ireland the pubs are closed and the acting CMO is on the telly.

There are times when you couldn't make this country up! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Being married to an RTÉ journalist has had no bearing on the constant, elevated level of ‘Covid news’, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Travelled to Spain last week through Dublin to Alicante, about 25 on the plane in total.

Never saw the airport so quiet, handful in the queue at security and the boarding process (Are Lingus) was very pleasant. Done according to row, didn't see a mad rush up and waiting for 15 minutes like you'd normally see. Didn't see any issues with masks not being worn or worn improperly.. except one security guy at the security check in the airport :pac:

As for Spain, I'd say a good 95% compliance to wearing a mask in public, mix between older and younger people for not wearing a mask or wearing it wrong. Decent social distancing but can get crowded at times. Speaking to serving staff where we are they saw very little tourists this season, and the majority of ones that they did see were french and German. Restaurants certainly feel more quiet than we've seen at similar times in the same town over the years. Feel very safe overall, especially with masks in public, I'd say the €100 fine is big deterrent.

Was weird though, in one restaurant aswell as the usual masks until you're at a table/sanitise on entry they were spraying down the undersides of our shoes with disinfectant

Will be self isolating to a T when we return, GF working from home and myself using up annual leave to cover the two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

acequion wrote: »
    People have to get out of the country to properly realise it.

Sadly true. Such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Off to Geneva today, but not staying long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

smurfjed wrote: »

Enjoy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Reports in papers today that you can travel into Ireland form a non green list country from the end of this month if you take a test on arrival back to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

A few morans in work are saying they intend to fly, morans, putting my life at risk due to a selfish nature,. Morans

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

A few morans in work are saying they intend to fly, morans, putting my life at risk due to a selfish nature,. Morans

Any relation to Kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Moron this later :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I'm guessing it's a family business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Could Stephen Donnelly be so thick as to say you don’t have to isolate if you take a test on arrival. BUT the advice against all non essential travel still remains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Diabhalta wrote: »
    you're just jealous, because you're stuck home and have nothing to do while I'm here drinking one beer after another, eating burgers, while listening to Harleys and live bands on stage. Lol.

Must be great if you're constantly on boards trying to convince yourself what a great time you're having. Pretty sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Moranic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Gael23 wrote: »
    Reports in papers today that you can travel into Ireland form a non green list country from the end of this month if you take a test on arrival back to Ireland.

Yes so called rapid testing. I wonder how long you need to wait for the result though?

And also what the criteria will be for the Green List going forward.

If your a tourist coming into Ireland for a week's holiday, having to wait anything more than 24 hours just means you won't bother coming.

The big question is definitely the criteria for the green list, we clearly won't have the time/facilities to test thousands of passengers a day

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Fly where?

Because hell most countries have lower incidence rates than us at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Testing at the airport at the cost of the customer will be the final nail in the tourism coffin. Who is going to come here for a weekend if it involves hours sitting in the airport waiting for an inaccurate test that could result in you isolating before leaving a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

smurfjed wrote: »
    Geneva is where most Swiss cases seem to be. The rural parts of Switzerland are back to normal now except for masks being mandatory on public transport. Tourist numbers are well down with almost no Asians at all.

manniot2 wrote: »
    Testing at the airport at the cost of the customer will be the final nail in the tourism coffin. Who is going to come here for a weekend if it involves hours sitting in the airport waiting for an inaccurate test that could result in you isolating before leaving a few days later.

will it be cost of the customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

will it be cost of the customer?

I am open to correction, I think though in some other countries (Greece for example) if the authorities decide that you need to be tested on arrival it is offered for free.

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I am open to correction, I think though in some other countries (Greece for example) if the authorities decide that you need to be tested on arrival it is offered for free.

Yes. At least in Greece they do free random testing. In Denmark there is free testing on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

I'd go anywhere if we are allowed, even Wuhan, this is all hysterical now. Let us travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Yeah, much better to not test at all and have said positive cases walking around spreading the virus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd go anywhere if we are allowed, even Wuhan, this is all hysterical now. Let us travel.
    Who's stopping you?

This whole thread is full of people gloating and boasting about their travels (to a frankly slightly obsessive degree).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who's stopping you?

This whole thread is full of people gloating and boasting about their travels (to a frankly slightly obsessive degree).

Sorry but you have to be one of the begrudgers with a remark like that!

Maybe one or two are coming across as boastful but it's more likely the sheer happiness of getting out of Ireland. Like kids who've been cooped up and are suddenly allowed to play. It's human nature and why would anyone begrudge them? The vast majority here are simply documenting their travel experiences in this Covid environment. Which is a huge help to a lot of people as they weigh up whether to travel or staycation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Free? Nothing in this life is free. Someone somewhere has to pick up the tab- i.e., the tax payer.
    Yes. At least in Greece they do free random testing. In Denmark there is free testing on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

johnire wrote: »
    Free? Nothing in this life is free. Someone somewhere has to pick up the tab- i.e., the tax payer.

I think what we mean in the context of travelling is that the person that travels doesn't have to pay for the test.

johnire wrote: »

Indeed but allowing inward travel and bringing in investment may well increase the tax take and the cost of a test might be a good use of money.

Yeah, much better to not test at all and have said positive cases walking around spreading the virus :rolleyes:

Thankfully there is another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I know exactly what you mean and you are right. I was just having a fed up tax payer moment!!
    Indeed but allowing inward travel and bringing in investment may well increase the tax take and the cost of a test might be a good use of money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement