Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Absolutely and it's a very good point.
    Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think what we mean in the context of travelling is that the person that travels doesn't have to pay for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Anyone know if they are still trying to catch people out at the airport? I would like to fly to a country that isn't on the green list to see family for a couple of days visit, but I am currently still on the covid payment and apparently its not allowed :eek: A month or 2 ago some people's payments were stopped as apparently Gardai were asking for PPS numbers at the gates or something? Has anyone who's flown to a restricted country noticed anything like this happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

DUBAI: Etihad Airways has introduced a COVID-19 insurance for its passengers that cover up to $178,604 of medical costs, state news agency WAM reported.
    The insurance cover for travelers aboard the Abu Dhabi-based carrier’s flights took effect Sept. 7 and will last until the end of the year, regardless when the flight was booked.
    The medical cover will also shoulder up to $118 of quarantine costs per day for two weeks. It is valid for 31 days from the first day of travel.
    “The safety, health, and wellbeing of our guests and employees is our top priority, during and beyond the flight,” Duncan Bureau, Senior Vice President Sales and Distribution at Etihad Airways said.
    He hopes the new coverage will instill confidence in travelling amid the pandemic, adding it will reassure “our guests that we are doing all we can to keep them safe and protected.”
    The move comes as more countries open their border

Nice move from Etihad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

My 90 minutes lunch in Geneva was nice, probably about 50% of the limited number of people that we met were wearing masks and that included airport security, quite nice to have someone frisk you whilst not wearing a mask. The interesting part was that as soon as my phone connected to the Swiss network, i got a COVID message detailing their rules regarding tests, isolation and masks, with links to official websites for further information.

Totally unlike the shambles that people are reporting about arriving in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭acequion

Anyone know if they are still trying to catch people out at the airport? I would like to fly to a country that isn't on the green list to see family for a couple of days visit, but I am currently still on the covid payment and apparently its not allowed :eek: A month or 2 ago some people's payments were stopped as apparently Gardai were asking for PPS numbers at the gates or something? Has anyone who's flown to a restricted country noticed anything like this happening?

I think it was only at Dublin airport that that was going on. There were no reports of it from any of the other airports. So try to avoid Dublin if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Just back from a holiday in Spain and thought I'd share my thoughts as it might be useful for some people due to go or others still on the fence.

Dublin Airport was quiet, no problem social distancing throughout. Same on the flight to Barcelona, probably about 10% full and everyone wore masks throughout as per regulations.
    Barcelona airport was dead, literally not a sole around. They scanned the barcode on my phone before I could leave the airport. No temperature check though. Can't see the point of them myself anyway. Bus to Barcelona was quiet so again no problem with space and everyone wore masks.
    Hotel was really quiet so we got a nice upgrade. 5 star hotel was only €280 for 2 nights. The city itself is quieter than usual due to lack of tourism but still plenty of life from locals. All bars and restaurants open with no restrictions. I'm not sure on the regulations in Spain but no restaurants or pubs had any form of distancing in place. Didn't bother me but it might others.
    Went down the coast to a resort town. Busier with tourists which was a nice surprise as it all felt quite normal. Same story as in the city, no distancing measures in place in any pub or restaurant we went to or saw throughout our stay.
    Went back to Barcelona for a few more nights and home.
    To sum up, Spain very much feels like life is back to some kind of normality. Yes you have to wear masks everywhere but it hardly ruins your experience. Locals are getting on with life as best they can and actually enjoying themselves (imagine that notion in Ireland). Only after being away did I realise how bad the fear mongering has become in Ireland. It's shameful what this government has done to the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just back from a holiday in Spain and thought I'd share my thoughts as it might be useful for some people due to go or others still on the fence.

Dublin Airport was quiet, no problem social distancing throughout. Same on the flight to Barcelona, probably about 10% full and everyone wore masks throughout as per regulations.
    Barcelona airport was dead, literally not a sole around. They scanned the barcode on my phone before I could leave the airport. No temperature check though. Can't see the point of them myself anyway. Bus to Barcelona was quiet so again no problem with space and everyone wore masks.
    Hotel was really quiet so we got a nice upgrade. 5 star hotel was only €280 for 2 nights. The city itself is quieter than usual due to lack of tourism but still plenty of life from locals. All bars and restaurants open with no restrictions. I'm not sure on the regulations in Spain but no restaurants or pubs had any form of distancing in place. Didn't bother me but it might others.
    Went down the coast to a resort town. Busier with tourists which was a nice surprise as it all felt quite normal. Same story as in the city, no distancing measures in place in any pub or restaurant we went to or saw throughout our stay.
    Went back to Barcelona for a few more nights and home.
    To sum up, Spain very much feels like life is back to some kind of normality. Yes you have to wear masks everywhere but it hardly ruins your experience. Locals are getting on with life as best they can and actually enjoying themselves (imagine that notion in Ireland). Only after being away did I realise how bad the fear mongering has become in Ireland. It's shameful what this government has done to the country.

Would love to be back in Barcelona now. Hope you had a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

will travel 100% once restrictions lift (i am already but not proper holidays) . not because im afraid of the virus, because everywhere is ****e with enforced mask usage and distancing. once the world decides it collectively shat the bed and goes back to normal they can have my hard earned cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,573 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Another Failte Ireland member resigns for Spanish holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Just back from a holiday in Spain

You went to the epicentre of Covid in the EU right now where some areas have a 10% positivity rate?

Hope you're going to properly quarantine now you're back in Ireland, as opposed to "quarantine"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Another Failte Ireland member resigns for Spanish holiday

Indeed very qualified people who put in a lot of time into a part time job for relatively little additional money. But the Minister is going to crack her whip and remind these people to show leadership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

50% off RA sale at the moment. I expect the travel advice will change, don't want to fall fowl of my employer.
    Looking at a 4 day break to Prague for the October bank holiday. Less than €200 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    You went to the epicentre of Covid in the EU right now where some areas have a 10% positivity rate?
    Hope you're going to properly quarantine now you're back in Ireland, as opposed to "quarantine"

The subject of this forum is "Will you travel"... the op has travelled and said they've had a good experience... So not sure about the relevance of the response from an anonymous boards poster judging them for travelling is for, and then telling them what their responsibilities are? I'm sure the op has considered all this and is aware!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The subject of this forum is "Will you travel"... the op has travelled and said they've had a good experience... So not sure about the relevance of the response from an anonymous boards poster judging them for travelling is for, and then telling them what their responsibilities are? I'm sure the op has considered all this and is aware!

Has to be a troll with a post like that.:rolleyes:

Let's not feed!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Getting subtle pressure in work to start flying over to London again for meetings. Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

acequion wrote: »
    Has to be a troll with a post like that.:rolleyes:

Let's not feed!

Not trolling. Just genuinely curious why someone would go to a country with 5 times the chances of getting Covid compared to Ireland

But sure look. Let's move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jim Root wrote: »
    Getting subtle pressure in work to start flying over to London again for meetings. Hmmmm....

There is no evidence of anyone getting covid on a plane or on public transport in this jurisdiction. Whatever you do, don't look at reports from other jurisdictions and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not trolling. Just genuinely curious why someone would go to a country with 5 times the chances of getting Covid compared to Ireland

You’re not 5 times more likely to catch it in a country just because it has 5 times more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

4th pandemic city break in the morning, looking forward to the airport already, rocking up there 20 minutes before take off and sailing through is a pleasure in itself

Perhaps it's none of your business?

As for your figures, post your sources please. I think you're plain wrong. While there are red zones in Spain, parts have much less Covid than parts of Ireland.

As for the notion that you're 5 times more likely to catch Covid in Spain, I was in a part of Spain this summer with relatively low Covid numbers. I had few contacts, stayed in my own appartment,generally shunned crowds and kept to myself. In Ireland I teach in a very large school and I'm now everyday in small classrooms with different groups of 24 teenagers, not to mention relatively congested corridors though everybody is trying their best to distance. I think it's very obvious in which of those situations I'm more likely to catch Covid!

I'm not complaining. I like my job and am not fear obsessed, however you might apply broader judgement when calculating risk. And you might also bear in mind that the total travel related Covid incidence in the EU is 2.9% and that's including all modes of travel, not just air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

5 times the incidence rate does not mean 5 times the chances of catching Covid :rolleyes:

If the op used the same level of common sense on his holiday as he hopefully does in Ireland that the chances of catching Covid are near zero. Not zero of course but then you can chose to live life or sit at home in front of the 6 one news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You’re not 5 times more likely to catch it in a country just because it has 5 times more cases.

You’re definitely more likely to catch it in a crowded bar in Barcelona

You’re definitely more likely to catch it in a crowded bar in Barcelona

Where in the post did you see (a) crowded bar (b) whether he sat inside or outside (c) how long he stopped for?

Maybe there were many packed bars and maybe the op saw this and walked on to the next place. Or maybe he didnt... But neither you nor I have the right to say 2+2=5

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

So that’s bars in Prague and Barcelona that aren’t using social distancing measures then, maybe Ireland will follow suit on September 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Feria40 wrote: »
    Where in the post did you see (a) crowded bar (b) whether he sat inside or outside (c) how long he stopped for?

Maybe there were many packed bars and maybe the op saw this and walked on to the next place. Or maybe he didnt... But neither you nor I have the right to say 2+2=5

He said there was no social distancing in place and that it didn’t bother him. I’ll take what I want from that.

He said there was no social distancing in place and that it didn’t bother him. I’ll take what I want from that.

My bad and hands up. Misread the post with another poster who said they didn't mix when on holiday. Think both posts are on same page :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

4th pandemic city break in the morning, looking forward to the airport already, rocking up there 20 minutes before take off and sailing through is a pleasure in itself

Fair play where have you been and where to tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I’m pro travel & was in Tenerife in July.
    But in fairness that Barcelona story, it’s no wonder cases are rising in Spain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

When are we expecting the next government update regarding travel abroad?

I'm want to get away for a bit of sun at the beginning-mid October, currently looking at Crete at the moment as Greece is on the green list.

Flights are cheap at the moment, my only worry is booking them now & it being a month away yet.

Is there much of a possibility that a lot could change between now & then such as further restrictions, countries taken off the green list, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

DVDM93 wrote: »
    When are we expecting the next government update regarding travel abroad?

I'm want to get away for a bit of sun at the beginning-mid October, currently looking at Crete at the moment as Greece is on the green list.

Flights are cheap at the moment, my only worry is booking them now & it being a month away yet.

Is there much of a possibility that a lot could change between now & then such as further restrictions, countries taken off the green list, etc...

With the imminent implosion of the airline sector unless action is taken I would expect the green list to be increased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement