Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

With the imminent implosion of the airline sector unless action is taken I would expect the green list to be increased.

Thank you, appreciate the reply.

When are we expecting the next green list update?

Thank you in advance.

edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/green-list-to-remain-until-covid-19-roadmap-unveiled-mid-september-1.4349009?mode=amp

Mid-september, I'll wait until then, see what's available & then book.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Not long back from a two week break in Calabria, South Italy, masks everywhere, good distancing and in general quieter than last year, for instance.
    Used four airports, Venice, Bergamo, La Mezia and Dublin... all quiet (Venice is large and looked like a ghost town).... It's actually quite depressing seeing all these closed and boarded up shops in the airports.

No hassles in general and a great trip, no 14 days isolation either which is a benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Thank you, appreciate the reply.

When are we expecting the next green list update?

Thank you in advance.

edit: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/green-list-to-remain-until-covid-19-roadmap-unveiled-mid-september-1.4349009%3fmode=amp

Mid-september, I'll wait until then, see what's available & then book.

Hi I was about to reply about the roadmap but you got there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Two weeks ago we had the media drama about the TUI flight from Greece back to Wales with Covid passengers, have the reported the number of other passengers who got infected and can they trace this To the actual flight?

My assumption is that the answer is no, otherwise the Daily Mail would have gone crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Airport bound on a glorious evening. 4 hours of flying ahead of me to only end up right back where i started. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-experts-call-for-travel-advice-to-be-made-into-law-1.4350595?mode=amp

Hopefully this doesn't come to pass - enshrining "travel advice" into law. 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/covid-19-experts-call-for-travel-advice-to-be-made-into-law-1.4350595?mode=amp

Hopefully this doesn't come to pass - enshrining "travel advice" into law. ��

It's just another step on the ladder to reach the top of the nanny state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

When are we expecting the next government update regarding travel abroad?

I'm want to get away for a bit of sun at the beginning-mid October, currently looking at Crete at the moment as Greece is on the green list.

Flights are cheap at the moment, my only worry is booking them now & it being a month away yet.

Is there much of a possibility that a lot could change between now & then such as further restrictions, countries taken off the green list, etc...

It's worth keeping an eye on whether Ireland will remain on Greece's green list. I'm due to fly in 2 weeks and keeping an eye on the Greece situation - the last few days new cases have reduced, thus bringing the average 14 day per 100k population below 30 again - whereas Ireland is a bit over 30. As things stand now we are OK to travel.
    Hopefully the EU colour-code recommendation will be introduced soon and the countries will opt in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Have many done a UK to Ire run? how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It's worth keeping an eye on whether Ireland will remain on Greece's green list. I'm due to fly in 2 weeks and keeping an eye on the Greece situation - the last few days new cases have reduced, thus bringing the average 14 day per 100k population below 30 again - whereas Ireland is a bit over 30. As things stand now we are OK to travel.
    Hopefully the EU colour-code recommendation will be introduced soon and the countries will opt in.

A friend was hit with the Greek rules flying from a red list country. Only allowed on the plane if he had a negative test within 72 hours. As soon as the EU rules come in the better.

• Advertisement

arccosh wrote: »
    Have many done a UK to Ire run? how did it go?

It’s busy enough now, because far fewer fights, But on Aer Lingus at least (can’t speak for Ryanair) it’s very well organised in terms of boarding and disembarking, everyone is wearing masks and there is good awareness amongst passengers. And the airports themselves are dead....you’d be unlucky to encounter any kind of line at security. Altogether a fine experience

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There is no evidence of anyone getting covid on a plane or on public transport in this jurisdiction. Whatever you do, don't look at reports from other jurisdictions and you'll be fine.

If your employer asks you to travel they should pay you during the 14 day quarantine when you get back

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Gael23 wrote: »
    If your employer asks you to travel they should pay you during the 14 day quarantine when you get back

You are right Captain Obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

He said there was no social distancing in place and that it didn’t bother him. I’ll take what I want from that.

You're correct, busy bars with no social distancing didn't bother me. However, I did sit outside when possible, not necessarily because of Covid but because the weather doesn't permit it much in Ireland.

To be honest, the chances of catching it in Spain are the same as here as long as you use common sense. From what I witnessed I can see how the virus is spreading quickly again in Spain. They very rarely practice social distancing and mask wearing is largely tokenism. I witnessed large groups of people taking off masks to greet each other, often kissing on the cheek etc. I'm not judging them at all, just reporting on what I saw. In fact I enjoyed that they weren't living in fear and it was nice to feel normal again.
    I am quarantining of course and am lucky i can work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭irelandrover

When are we expecting the next government update regarding travel abroad?

I'm want to get away for a bit of sun at the beginning-mid October, currently looking at Crete at the moment as Greece is on the green list.

Flights are cheap at the moment, my only worry is booking them now & it being a month away yet.

Is there much of a possibility that a lot could change between now & then such as further restrictions, countries taken off the green list, etc...

Just a warning, i live in the Netherlands and had a trip booked to a Greek island for the end September. The government here just changed the Greek island to code orange so only essential travel is allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Irish Aris wrote: »

I'm due to fly back in two weeks too. Greek rate seems to be on the decline, although the Moria camp figures will skew the stats over the next few days. Hopefully we've peaked out, although the schools could see a new spike over the next week or so. Taioseach did indeed praise the EU colour code recommendation on the radio this morning suggesting that we could be adopting it next week.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    You're correct, busy bars with no social distancing didn't bother me. However, I did sit outside when possible, not necessarily because of Covid but because the weather doesn't permit it much in Ireland.

To be honest, the chances of catching it in Spain are the same as here as long as you use common sense. From what I witnessed I can see how the virus is spreading quickly again in Spain. They very rarely practice social distancing and mask wearing is largely tokenism. I witnessed large groups of people taking off masks to greet each other, often kissing on the cheek etc. I'm not judging them at all, just reporting on what I saw. In fact I enjoyed that they weren't living in fear and it was nice to feel normal again.
    I am quarantining of course and am lucky i can work from home.

Very different Spain to the one I am in. Where is that if you don't mind me asking?

Having traveled to basque region France I would say that the basque attitude of defiance is well and truly in full swing. They won't be experiencing a low number anytime soon

Tazz T wrote: »
    I'm due to fly back in two weeks too. Greek rate seems to be on the decline, although the Moria camp figures will skew the stats over the next few days. Hopefully we've peaked out, although the schools could see a new spike over the next week or so. Taioseach did indeed praise the EU colour code recommendation on the radio this morning suggesting that we could be adopting it next week.

yes, situation can change quickly unfortunately. Yesterday there were again over 200 new cases, number seems to fluctuate a bit, the overall trend though is fairly stable.
    I'm not overly concerned about flying or following the requirements in either end of the trip. I am willing to do a test if it is needed beforehand. My only concern would be a status change (with immediate effect) very close to the trip date that would need me to do a test in advance. I know Greece in cases has required a negative test done in the last 72 hours before your trip, or you wouldn't be able to board. If that change happens 1-2 days before the trip, it could be difficult to book a test and get the results back on time. I think though that there was some leeway where Greek authorities test you on arrival if needed.

That's why I think it is important for travelers that many countries opt in the EU system. If I understood correctly, any changes in status/colour will be effective after a few days, therefore would give a bit of time for a traveler to adjust to any new requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I would really doubt our rates would be that high as to require the test within 72 hrs of flying.

I went to Chania in July and I felt far safer than here with being outdoors all the time. Rates are very low there. Literally a handful of cases since the start. Should be even quieter now that the UK has stopped flying there.

And I enjoyed the flight. Safer than getting a bus into town here.

Catherine Martin doesn’t seem so sure about unrestricted travel

• Advertisement

who is suggesting unrestricted travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yea, allowing Dubs to roam the country is really the pressing threat at the moment really isnt it.

Or does she mean people from places abroad with less if not much less covid than Dublin must be tested, but its a free for all within Ireland.

Because travel covid is really the killer, and Dublin covid is grand

(btw, a sensible policy should be chosen that deals with specific risk countries/ regions, but I cannot see how travel covid is somehow worse than the raging outbreak internally in Ireland at the moment)

who is suggesting unrestricted travel?

Would that not be the result of removing the 14 day restricted movement?

That would be from a green zone to a green zone right?
    I think many EU countries currently fall in the Orange zone - between 15 and 50 cases per 100k population in the last 2 weeks.
    I reckon, in this scenario, there might still be a recommendation to restrict your movements to an extend - to me that would be fair enough, don't have to self isolate, but not go crazy/partying for 2 weeks.

So not unrestricted then. Travel restricted to green zone areas. Its about time we got an EU wide approach going

It’s busy enough now, because far fewer fights, But on Aer Lingus at least (can’t speak for Ryanair) it’s very well organised in terms of boarding and disembarking, everyone is wearing masks and there is good awareness amongst passengers. And the airports themselves are dead....you’d be unlucky to encounter any kind of line at security. Altogether a fine experience

did you do UK->Ire and back ?

I'm curious as to what was said in Dublin if someone was only in Ire a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

People now blatantly do not follow the restrictions with travel between UK and Ireland.

Fair enough though as it is nonsensical considering current rates between the countries.

I just find it strange any restriction is UK to Ireland only... perfectly fine for Irish to enter the UK with no checks or quarantine....

I know a few who have gone back for the weekend, but was wondering has anyone hit any snags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

arccosh wrote: »
    I just find it strange any restriction is UK to Ireland only... perfectly fine for Irish to enter the UK with no checks or quarantine....

I know a few who have gone back for the weekend, but was wondering has anyone hit any snags?

I'm in the UK right now, landed yesterday, sailed through without even being asked to fill in a form. At the passport check the guy asked if I was anywhere but Ireland in the last 14 days (I wasn't), that's it.

Back tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Very different Spain to the one I am in. Where is that if you don't mind me asking?

Having traveled to basque region France I would say that the basque attitude of defiance is well and truly in full swing. They won't be experiencing a low number anytime soon

I was in Barcelona for 6 days and in Sitges for 4 days. Some of the big brand stores had social distancing guidelines etc in place but little to no adherence to them. In terms of bars and restaurants, there were no limits on numbers and no attempt to space people out. Mask wearing was observed but I think it's a little pointless if you're going to take it off and hang out in large groups eating and drinking. Perhaps it does help with some community spread though. All round, thoroughly enjoyed the trip largely because people weren't too concerned about anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement