Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'm in the UK right now, landed yesterday, sailed through without even being asked to fill in a form. At the passport check the guy asked if I was anywhere but Ireland in the last 14 days (I wasn't), that's it.

Back tomorrow.

That's funny cos it's exactly what it says on the UK PLF info page!

Who does not need to complete the form
    You do not need to complete the form if you’re travelling from one of the following places, and you were there for 14 days or more:
    • Ireland
    • the Channel Islands
    • the Isle of Man

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I was in Barcelona for 6 days and in Sitges for 4 days. Some of the big brand stores had social distancing guidelines etc in place but little to no adherence to them. In terms of bars and restaurants, there were no limits on numbers and no attempt to space people out. Mask wearing was observed but I think it's a little pointless if you're going to take it off and hang out in large groups eating and drinking. Perhaps it does help with some community spread though. All round, thoroughly enjoyed the trip largely because people weren't too concerned about anything.

I would be worried if no one around me in a badly effected area want following guidelines but that's just my personal view.

it's hardly surprising that they have had high numbers so if that's the stories. Another region that will say black because the government said white it seems.

arccosh wrote: »
    did you do UK->Ire and back ?

I'm curious as to what was said in Dublin if someone was only in Ire a few days

You mean what happens with the 14 day self isolation if someone is not in Ireland for 14 days? Nothing. You are allowed to go back to the airport and leave the country during that 14 days

I'm in the UK right now, landed yesterday, sailed through without even being asked to fill in a form. At the passport check the guy asked if I was anywhere but Ireland in the last 14 days (I wasn't), that's it.

Back tomorrow.

Most UK airports, including Gatwick and Heathrow, don’t channel passengers to passport control.....you come out at baggage reclaim. So you would not be questioned anyway upon arrival, in line with the CTA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Essential travel is fine IMO, but frivolous visits to other places for cheap accom and drinks etc. is not.

I know I sound like a Grinch, but really that's what I think. Not that anyone either in Gov, DAA or NEPHET seem to care.

I suppose I will be regaled about the safety of everything, and that's fine, but some have chosen to stay home for 2020 to see how things pan out, and that should also be respected.

Each to their own. The feeling I get is that if you decide not to travel you are an idiot. That is not the case. We risk assess and make our own decisions.

• Advertisement

Essential travel is fine IMO, but frivolous visits to other places for cheap accom and drinks etc. is not.

I know I sound like a Grinch, but really that's what I think. Not that anyone either in Gov, DAA or NEPHET seem to care.

I suppose I will be regaled about the safety of everything, and that's fine, but some have chosen to stay home for 2020 to see how things pan out, and that should also be respected.

Each to their own. The feeling I get is that if you decide not to travel you are an idiot. That is not the case. We risk assess and make our own decisions.

I think that the only people who would think you are an idiot can be found on this thread. The vast majority would respect your decision, including many here such as myself. I will travel, but that is down to my own personal risk tolerance. I still would not brag about, or even simply volunteer, the fact that I have travelled internationally. There would still be far more people who would disapprove of me than would disapprove of you (but, of course, far more who would not care either way)

I think that the only people who would think you are an idiot can be found on this thread. The vast majority would respect your decision, including many here such as myself. I will travel, but that is down to my own personal risk tolerance. I still would not brag about, or even simply volunteer, the fact that I have travelled internationally. There would still be far more people who would disapprove of me than would disapprove of you (but, of course, far more who would not care either way)

A reasonable voice, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭acequion

@woody22 why are you so worried about being disapproved of? Has it not been proven now with the main tourist season over that international travel has been very minimal in the spread of Covid? And despite tiny numbers traveling abroad Ireland is seeing spikes along with every other country whose travel policies are much more liberal. So disapprovers are judgers either because they're jealous or finger waggers and they don't get the time of day from me. I've absolutely no problem telling people that I was abroad. Why would I?

@ Spanish Eyes, I totally and completely respect your decision not to travel. What I would take big exception to is your remark that non essential travel for cheap accommodation and whatever else is "frivolous". Just who are you to judge?? And if that's the attitude you're displaying then that's the reason why you're being made to feel like an idiot.

Personally I cannot abide jealous, judgmental people and unfortunately Ireland is full of them.

acequion wrote: »
    @woody22 why are you so worried about being disapproved of? Has it not been proven now with the main tourist season over that international travel has been very minimal in the spread of Covid? And despite tiny numbers traveling abroad Ireland is seeing spikes along with every other country whose travel policies are much more liberal. So disapprovers are judgers either because they're jealous or finger waggers and they don't get the time of day from me. I've absolutely no problem telling people that I was abroad. Why would I?

@ Spanish Eyes, I totally and completely respect your decision not to travel. What I would take big exception to is your remark that non essential travel for cheap accommodation and whatever else is "frivolous". Just who are you to judge?? And if that's the attitude you're displaying then that's the reason why you're being made to feel like an idiot.

Personally I cannot abide jealous, judgmental people and unfortunately Ireland is full of them.

I'm not in the least bit jealous, nor am I judgmental either, off you go. If you are explaining you are usually losing, as the saying goes!

I do realise some travel to check on their holiday homes and so on, but sorry, I stand my ground regarding those who just choose to go somewhere because it is cheap. Stay at home and spend your money here for one season at least. But if you want to undertake Non Essential Travel, off you go.

Not my problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm not in the least bit jealous, nor am I judgmental either, off you go. If you are explaining you are usually losing, as the saying goes!

I do realise some travel to check on their holiday homes and so on, but sorry, I stand my ground regarding those who just choose to go somewhere because it is cheap. Stay at home and spend your money here for one season at least. But if you want to undertake Non Essential Travel, off you go.

Not my problem.

Wow!! :eek: What an utterly defensive and judgmental post! I was actually quite nice and respectful to you and didn't specifically accuse you of being jealous or judgmental. But it's actually hilarious how judgmental and bossy you must be to make a remark like "Stay at home and spend your money here for one season at least." :pac: In fact your whole last paragraph reeks of judgementalism!

Hey nobody cares what you think or how much you're standing your ground! Because people are too busy living their own lives for their own reasons and maybe you should do the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Not my problem.

I can assure that the Irish internal tourists will not even get anywhere near close replacing even the EU tourist market for this country. Why should we stay in Ireland when the EU is our home and many of us have a life where we visit one or many EU countries regularly throughout the year.

We are all in this together in the EU, and have to have a bigger view on getting our economies back in action. Saying that by staying on the island and putting up the drawbridge will solve it, when the exact opposite has happened.

And the throwaway comment about it being cheap. Some people paid big money before all this happened, and travelled after their own personal risk assessment, that the risk was low or similar if they followed the guidelines.

I respect anyone’s decision to stay in Ireland for whatever length of time they deem necessary, but travel is not a dangerous activity and the WHO and the EU have said this on numerous occasions.

Next week we will see a (hopefully) massive change to travel, despite the virus being the same virus as the last 6 months. Why is that?

acequion wrote: »
    Wow!! :eek: What an utterly defensive and judgmental post! I was actually quite nice and respectful to you and didn't specifically accuse you of being jealous or judgmental. But it's actually hilarious how judgmental and bossy you must be to make a remark like "Stay at home and spend your money here for one season at least." :pac: In fact your whole last paragraph reeks of judgementalism!

Hey nobody cares what you think or how much you're standing your ground! Because people are too busy living their own lives for their own reasons and maybe you should do the same!

I really wouldn't get too worked up about it TBH. We all have our own views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just got an email from finnair saying our flight to Thailand in October has been cancelled. Seems like we have 2 options. Reschedule before September 2021 or apply for a refund. We have family there so we're definitely hoping to go again soon. Not sure what to do, rescheduling may be a better option as the price of new flights might skyrocket in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭sioda

Just got an email from finnair saying our flight to Thailand in October has been cancelled. Seems like we have 2 options. Reschedule before September 2021 or apply for a refund. We have family there so we're definitely hoping to go again soon. Not sure what to do, rescheduling may be a better option as the price of new flights might skyrocket in the coming years.
    Refund every time you've no idea if they will be flying, will they still connect from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Take your refund. I don’t see fares sky rocketing if the gulf carriers are still flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That's funny cos it's exactly what it says on the UK PLF info page!

Who does not need to complete the form
    You do not need to complete the form if you’re travelling from one of the following places, and you were there for 14 days or more:
    • Ireland
    • the Channel Islands
    • the Isle of Man

You're telling me this like it's news.

Anyway yea flawless, 20 minutes in Dublin Airport and less than 5 in Bristol.

Dublin now will be a mess as usual, everyone herding in trying to get a copy of the form and then scrambling for one of pen before queueing to hand it in with whatever info they feel like putting on it.

You're telling me this like it's news.
    Anyway yea flawless, 20 minutes in Dublin Airport and less than 5 in Bristol.
    Dublin now will be a mess as usual, everyone herding in trying to get a copy of the form and then scrambling for one of pen before queueing to hand it in with whatever info they feel like putting on it.

More news so, the form is online so only those who didn't bother to check will be scrambling around filling out a paper form: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/
    Offences and penalties

The following offences are punishable by a fine not exceeding €2,500 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months, or both:

it is an offence not to complete this form in the manner specified
    it is an offence to provide false or misleading information in this form
    it is an offence not to provide an update if any of the information in section 3 of the form changes in the next 14 days or period of stay, whichever is the shorter
    it is an offence to fail to give an officer who requests it information required to verify the details on this form

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

More news so, the form is online so only those who didn't bother to check will be scrambling around filling out a paper form: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/
    Potentially the biggest potential covid breach during my holiday was now when coming back: when at the passport check in Dublin the officer took the phones from everyone in the queue by hand inside their booth, to review the Passenger Locator Form receipt from close by, scrolling through the email - before handing the phone back to phone back to each passenger. So much for not shaking hands etc.

IQO wrote: »
    Potentially the biggest potential covid breach during my holiday was now when coming back: when at the passport check in Dublin the officer took the phones from everyone in the queue by hand inside their booth, to review the Passenger Locator Form receipt from close by, scrolling through the email - before handing the phone back to phone back to each passenger. So much for not shaking hands etc.

Not everything is foolproof really, if you fill out the paper form then you're doing so at the places where dozens of other people would have done so already, using the same pen also, and some may have picked at the same form you're using while they were there.. I've seen others leaving half filled out forms on the stands so people are picking out the paper and then leaving it there or putting it back...

As for the phones, all I did was make sure my name and date was in focus so the officer could see it, and they are all wearing rubber gloves which I'm sure they are told to use sanitizer on regularly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I know, they told us on arrival, must be brand new because it wasn't online 3 weeks ago for my last trip and no one arriving knew anything about it.

What else have you got for me? I'm going to Malta on the 30th maybe you can do an itinerary since you're proactively checking gov.ie daily

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Not everything is foolproof really, if you fill out the paper form then you're doing so at the places where dozens of other people would have done so already, using the same pen also, and some may have picked at the same form you're using while they were there.. I've seen others leaving half filled out forms on the stands so people are picking out the paper and then leaving it there or putting it back...

As for the phones, all I did was make sure my name and date was in focus so the officer could see it, and they are all wearing rubber gloves which I'm sure they are told to use sanitizer on regularly...

Or just have the online form generate a QR or barcode like in Spain

Already the digital version came out late in Ireland... why not just copy a better idea from another member state?

What I find most baffling about this 40+ year experiment that we call the European Union is the lack of sharing/acceptance in best practices: mistrust of others, insecurity from local politicians... whatever it is it's ridiculous how when faced with an identical problem, we find 27 different solutions to addressing it

sorry for the rant, not meant against anybody in particular

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Or just have the online form generate a QR or barcode like in Spain.Already the digital version came out late in Ireland... why not just copy a better idea from another member state?
    What I find most baffling about this 40+ year experiment that we call the European Union is the lack of sharing/acceptance in best practices: mistrust of others, insecurity from local politicians... whatever it is it's ridiculous how when faced with an identical problem, we find 27 different solutions to addressing it
    sorry for the rant, not meant against anybody in particular

Greece also have the Barcode emailed to you.. The UK doesn't.
    The Barcode was to determine if you got a PCR test at the airport and to track your sample given also, and would have the details of your location so the local authorities could come around and bring you off to quarantine..Other countries such as Belgium had a Barcode also but don't think they scan (all of) them unless you come from outside the EU.
    The Irish form is just for contact tracing and the HSE call centre rang you just to verify your address and give you health advice, little else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

We were in a similar situation supposed to go to the U.S to visit the in laws about 6 weeks ago. Aer Lingus looked like they were going to make it difficult but in the end they offered us reschedule or refund. We went for the full refund. We plan to go when it's OK but being realistic we don't know when that will be. In the short to medium term my feeling is that airline prices will have to be attractive enough to attract nervous customers back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

People now blatantly do not follow the restrictions with travel between UK and Ireland.

Fair enough though as it is nonsensical considering current rates between the countries.

I have a friend's birthday which involves us going to the UK in order to ensure we can actually go to a pub. A bit annoying but sure these are the times we live in. At least I won't have to feel bad about not restricting my movements upon returning like I did after Germany 3 weeks ago (filled out a paper PLF at Dublin airport but no one followed up with us in the 2 weeks following our return).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have a friend's birthday which involves us going to the UK in order to ensure we can actually go to a pub. A bit annoying but sure these are the times we live in. At least I won't have to feel bad about not restricting my movements upon returning like I did after Germany 3 weeks ago (filled out a paper PLF at Dublin airport but no one followed up with us in the 2 weeks following our return).

I have 3 of those forms in with them now and another coming up on Monday. The ones I have submitted are 1 green and two non green listed countries. Not one follow up. I’ve heard from people who filled out the new online one getting calls recently.

All mine looked like they were destined for the shredder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Good to see according to the Indo as part of the government's roadmap the Green list nonsense is being dropped. They will be signing up to the EU's traffic light system of travel .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Just back from Italy. Had an amazing time. Precautions rather than restrictions is the way I would describe things over there. No sense of doom or fear. I think anyone who abandoned holiday plans made a very poor decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Good to see according to the Indo as part of the government's roadmap the Green list nonsense is being dropped. They will be signing up to the EU's traffic light system of travel .

should we expect to see the price of flights from Ireland rise significantly once this happens?

I'll be travelling regardless, but I'm not sure whether to book something now as it's very cheap at the moment, or to wait for the traffic light system to come in to play & hope that flight prices don't rise significantly.

At the moment, all prices to most places like Greece, The Canary Islands, Portugal, etc... are very cheap right up until the October Bank Holiday week (mid-term break) where they rise a bit in price again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

DVDM93 wrote: »
    should we expect to see the price of flights from Ireland rise significantly once this happens?

I'll be travelling regardless, but I'm not sure whether to book something now as it's very cheap at the moment, or to wait for the traffic light system to come in to play & hope that flight prices don't rise significantly.

At the moment, all prices to most places like Greece, The Canary Islands, Portugal, etc... are very cheap right up until the October Bank Holiday week (mid-term break) where they rise a bit in price again.

Is the EU system live or just a plan at this point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement