Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hotels both here and abroad will face similar restrictions, booking the pool, sunlounger, no buffet meals, room service only, hotel restaurant/bar limited numbers, no menus, no live music, longer check in times due to distancing, lift access limited numbers. Restrictions or closure of Gyms, Sauna, Spa treatments.

Basically any of the normal activities/facilities associated with staying at hotels are changed now due to Covid...

If people think nothing much has changed due to covid then they are very naive.

Practically everything you wrote is incorrect. The hotel I am staying in in July in the Canaries does not have all those restrictions. You do not need to book the pool or sun lounger. There are buffet meals, albeit completely revised (check RIU covid buffet update), not room service only, restaurant and bar limited numbers is achieved by reduced guest numbers, there will be menus (sent to phones), there will be live music and entertainment, check in times may be longer but again, reduced guest count helps....

You stay home. I'm going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dante7 wrote: »
    Practically everything you wrote is incorrect. The hotel I am staying in in July in the Canaries does not have all those restrictions. You do not need to book the pool or sun lounger. There are buffet meals, albeit completely revised (check RIU covid buffet update), not room service only, restaurant and bar limited numbers is achieved by reduced guest numbers, there will be menus (sent to phones), there will be live music and entertainment, check in times may be longer but again, reduced guest count helps....

You stay home. I'm going.

Because you've been told this about your Hotel which you will stay in next month, doesn't make it a fact that all hotels which my statement was about, i.e. at home and abroad will be the same.

The Virus hasn't gone away, and that's a fact.

Governments can and will introduce Lockdowns in Hotels were a suspected case(s) arise.

Like myself, the majority of people will wait to see what happens after the first couple of months when people travel abroad and return.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Proudly staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Prefer to spend money in the Irish economy
    English speaking location
    Better food and drink options mainly
    Prefer to stay here while C19 is killing hundreds of thousands so far and until a vaccine is found
    Out of solidarity with vulnerable family and friends

Have a groups of friends and family all signed up to stay cation this year - 96 ppl and counting.

All we need is the weather to play ball now!

For anyone travelling abroad I beg you to reconsider until a vaccine is found BUT if you insist on non essential travel then follow the 14 day quarantine guidelines when back in the jurisdiction - we have worked hard and don’t need you to bring the R number back up due to non essential travel !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Beechwood genuine question will you quarantine after your staycation? You could be holidaying with people who’ve traveled from UK or other badly hit areas that are here on holidays? You could be at more risk eating in a restaurant beside them than outside on a terrace in sunny Portugal.

pc7 wrote: »
    Beechwood genuine question will you quarantine after your staycation? You could be holidaying with people who’ve traveled from UK or other badly hit areas that are here on holidays? You could be at more risk eating in a restaurant beside them than outside on a terrace in sunny Portugal.

I will as much as possible yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Um yeah, anyway stupid posts aside, some interesting developments in Europe that hasn't been reported in the Irish media today. Picked this up in a Spanish newspaper this evening.

Ylva Johnson wants borders open as soon as possible with 30th June the deadline being set to get free movement in the EU back up and running. The reopening is endorsed by the European Center for Disease Control (ECDC), which sees no reason to keep the lock on the abrupt drop in the numbers of infections and deaths. "In the last 14 days, except in some regions, the EU has reported less than 100 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants."

Proposals have been sent to all member states. While ultimately the decision lies with each country, pressure to return to a travel normality is mounting. Brussels has also set out 3 criteria that must be met for non EU countries to be admitted entry.

While Ireland hasn't been singled out, the commission listed 9 countries that don't have border restrictions as of 5th June; Italy, Greece, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Slovenia and Sweden, which means the commission considers quarantine to be a barrier to movement.

Regarding nations who dont have the virus situation in hand:
    "Denmark and Norway maintain their veto on Swedish tourism, where covid-19 has hit with much greater power due to its controversial strategy of do not confine the population . Brussels understands that differential treatment now, but does not support its extension beyond June. The same is true of the United Kingdom, a major tourist issuer, another country where the virus is more active for taking delayed measures."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

won’t be staying put in Ireland this year for a few reasons

Not willing to spend extortionate money in the Irish economy
    Like diversity and a change in location
    Better food and drink options mainly abroad plus al fresco dining
    a vaccine May never be found
    Have no vulnerable family
    ****e weather v lovely weather
    Non essential travel can be to mayo or Malaga don’t see the difference at all your just as likely or unlikely to catch it

Just need rid of that 14 day quarantine nonsense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Irish hotels etc. Should provide bargains to beat the band now.

Fewer foreign tourists so look after our own now.

Ok I’ll dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Irish hotels etc. Should provide bargains to beat the band now.

Fewer foreign tourists so look after our own now.

Ok I’ll dream on.

If only, had every intention of a few days somewhere here and a week away in Spain later in the summer late August or September, but for the price of a few nights somewhere here I could get 2 weeks in Spain.

I'm someone who wanted the hospitality industry to open up earlier and make a go of the summer but they really need to have some decent offers to bring people in, mental prices at the moment

I’d just caution ppl categorizing the quarantine as nonsense.

The virus is not gone away, vulnerable ppl are still vulnerable. Also as professor ONeill said - at least 90% of the population have no exposure to the virus. As well there may be foreign strains of the virus which are worse; all of this is an unknown as yet which is why so many ppl are saying nah to foreign travel until this damn virus is sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

As well there may be foreign strains of the virus which are worse; .

Can you provide evidence of these potential foreign strains and their more harmful effects in relation to Covid19, or are you talking b*llocks?

Can you provide evidence of these potential foreign strains and their more harmful effects in relation to Covid19, or are you talking b*llocks?

Plumb the depths you are really plumbing the depths with your phrasing there ! B*llocks oooh matron!

Here is one link but there’s loads of stuff on google search

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-strains

Go online and read up. I’m saying there’s loads of unknowable variables at the present time hence non essential travel is a no no

Plumb the depths you are really plumbing the depths with your phrasing there ! B*llocks oooh matron!

Here is one link but there’s loads of stuff on google search

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-strains

Go online and read up. I’m saying there’s loads of unknowable variables at the present time hence non essential travel is a no no

You said foreign strains of the virus, thanks for confirming you are talking b*llocks. I consider going to visit friends in August as essential. Lastly no one will need your permission to leave the country.
    As usual though you will infect a thread with your rubbish so I will just ignore you as I usually do.

You said foreign strains of the virus, thanks for confirming you are talking b*llocks. I consider going to visit friends in August as essential. Lastly no one will need your permission to leave the country.
    As usual though you will infect a thread with your rubbish so I will just ignore you as I usually do.

B*llocks indeed plumb the depths, you are living up to your name I see !

There’s lots of stuff online about all the unknowns about the virus. Go off and do your research and don’t be using the bold words next time...

The big point in all of this is that ppl should NOT do non essential travel.

This is the govt advice and it is good advice. We do not want the R number to rise due to ppl heading off on non essential trips. It’s for the good of the vulnerable and weaker/older members of society.

Almost everyone I’ve talked to recently said they have no intention of leaving Ireland until a vaccine is found and I proudly would count myself in that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

B*llocks indeed plumb the depths, you are living up to your name I see !

There’s lots of stuff online about all the unknowns about the virus. Go off and do your research and don’t be using the bold words next time...

This is the govt advice and it is good advice. We do not want the R number to rise due to ppl heading off on non essential trips. It’s for the good of the vulnerable and weaker/older members of society.

Almost everyone I’ve talked to recently said they have no intention of leaving Ireland until a vaccine is found and I proudly would count myself in that number.

Firstly, the there's no such word as ppl.

Secondly, as you've made clear in many other threads that you don't like foreigners anyway it's hardly a big sacrifice for you to stay here. No doubt you'd be delighted if we closed our borders completely.

And finally, you said you've organised 96 people for a staycation? Who's more likely to spread infection, a couple travelling to Spain or 96 of you bringing your special brand of cheer to some lucky Irish venue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Aren’t you going on holiday this summer?

Firstly, the there's no such word as ppl.

Secondly, as you've made clear in many other threads that you don't like foreigners anyway it's hardly a big sacrifice for you to stay here. No doubt you'd be delighted if we closed our borders completely.

And finally, you said you've organised 96 people for a staycation? Who's more likely to spread infection, a couple travelling to Spain or 96 of you bringing your special brand of cheer to some lucky Irish venue?

I don’t want to clog up this thread with off topic but please by all means PM me with examples of what you are accusing me - xenophobia?

I did advocate closure of the borders for public health reasons a few weeks ago. So my motivation for calling for that was not xenophobic

We are through geography beside a “banana republic” basket case in terms of dealing with c19 - the UK - and apparently they can waltz in here potentially ruining our c19 strategy

And finally to clarify just in case it needs to be spelled out clearly for some boardsies - I am NOT planning to go on holidays with 96 ppl.

My point is that within my circle of friends family and acquaintances over 100 ppl st this stage have confirmed they will be following the advice and NOT taking non essential travel outside this country until a vaccine is found.

This is done in solidarity with the more vulnerable members of the community

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

TSA passenger numbers in the USA went over 400,000 per day for two days this week, thats the first time since March. So it is an indication that people will travel.

Glad to report that the Taoiseach has directed people not to leave Ireland for the purposes of tourism or leisure. Proper order

Glad to report that the Taoiseach has directed people not to leave Ireland for the purposes of tourism or leisure. Proper order

That looking likely to be changing on 29th June as per memo brought to cabinet today, recommendation is to drop them then.

Looking forward to a well earned holiday abroad later in the summer

• Advertisement

That looking to be changing on 29th June as per memo brought to cabinet today, recommendation is to drop them then.

If justified then I will happily support it

If justified then I will happily support it

The cases are minimal, it'll be dropped in 2 weeks time once the situation allows as per Irish times reporting on said memo.

Intra EU travel to resume by start of July

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Polar101

Under normal circumstances, I'd take a 3-hour flight inside the EU twice a year. Usually at least half of the passengers are transit passengers going to Asia. Flights inside EU sound like they might be safe enough later in the summer, but I wonder if there will be any restrictions for passengers from outside Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

People should not travel outside Ireland this year. The country is banjaxed enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

addaword wrote:
    People should not travel outside Ireland this year. The country is banjaxed enough as it is.

People can travel if they like, we ll be grand, eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

addaword wrote: »

This pandemic has really brought to the fore the strangest of people

addaword wrote: »

Having looked at the prices hotels are charging here even for a very short break, a foreign holiday is a sensible choice.

Prices have gone absolutely insane here!!! Airbnb are well up too !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

We are such a greedy country. I'd happily holiday in Ireland if I wasn't being ripped off at every turn.

Looking at a weekend away in August, I compared two nights in Galway and Liverpool:

Galway 4 star hotel (no breakfast included) €364 for two nights.

Liverpool 4 star hotel (breakfast included) €182 for two nights. Flights are €22 return.

Pint of Guinness in Galway €5 vs €3.90 in Liverpool.

Disgusting greed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Lundstram wrote: »
    We are such a greedy country. I'd happily holiday in Ireland if I wasn't being ripped off at every turn.

Looking at a weekend away in August, I compared two nights in Galway and Liverpool:

Galway 4 star hotel (no breakfast included) €364 for two nights.

Liverpool 4 star hotel (breakfast included) €182 for two nights. Flights are €22 return.

Pint of Guinness in Galway €5 vs €3.90 in Liverpool.

Disgusting greed.

What's worse is the air of entitlement of the hoteliers. They'll be pissing and moaning on prime time and rte about no local business meanwhile they'll charge a Kings ransom for a glorified cupboard in Dublin cork or Galway. You'd understand the rates if the staff were well paid but they're treated like slave labour in most places. **** em and go abroad if you want you owe them nothing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement