Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

In T2 now, as have to go to London. I know it’s Saturday afternoon, which is typically a quiet time to travel, but it’s more dead than what it was a month ago. Staff outnumber travellers probably 2 to 1 and everywhere is **** other than Smiths. There are plastic covers over I everything.....the coffee machines, the counters. Looks like it’s being mothballed and it really strikes home how unsustainable this is. If things don’t get moving it’s no wonder that airports will close and airlines will pull out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is the EU system live or just a plan at this point?

a plan likely to come in to effect soon AFAIK, open to correction on that one mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Still travelling and enjoying these views

526162.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Good to see according to the Indo as part of the government's roadmap the Green list nonsense is being dropped. They will be signing up to the EU's traffic light system of travel .

Is this green list being updated tomorrow?
    Looking to book holidays for the past few weeks now but was waiting for the list to be updated.
    I am just after having a look according to the Irish times:
    ‘’Green will cover territories where the number of cases is low (less than 25 per 100,000 people in a 14-day period) and the percentage of positive tests is less than 3 per cent.

There is orange (less than 50 cases per 100,000 people) and there is red (over 50 cases per 100,000). Then there is Grey which ’’

It further adds: ‘’ Those arriving from red or grey areas will need to undergo quarantine, or a test after arrival. Those travelling from orange territories should undergo a test and fill out a passenger locator form. ’’

Can I not just safe assume according to the map produced by the EU and pick a country that is Orange or Green and book my flights even today ? Considering that Ireland is going to follow that map and would deem it possibly safe to travel without having to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

It’ll be interesting to see all right but am I right to say that even with a green list or whatever they’re proposing for the future there will still be a huge amount of uncertainty as any country on the list can be removed and you could find yourself being subject to having to quarantine when getting back? I could be wrong though?
    Looking to book holidays for the past few weeks now but was waiting for the list to be updated.

• Advertisement

AFAIK;

Tuesday.

Also likely to be the EU traffic light system for travel.

This can change from week to week/every two weeks in terms of countries being changed to a different color category.

I'm in the same boat as you.

do you have the latest map of the current colors of countries handy please, something like this one from March?

edit: this maybe?

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

DVDM93 wrote: »
    AFAIK;

Tuesday.

Also likely to be the EU traffic light system for travel.

This can change from week to week/every two weeks in terms of countries being changed to a different color category.

I'm in the same boat as you.

do you have the latest map of the current colors of countries handy please, something like this one from March?

edit: this maybe?

Yeah it is here. At the bottom. I am so tempted to book flights to Bulgaria tonight (visiting friend). Lol don’t have enough patience in me to wait till Tuesday.

Yeah it is here. At the bottom. I am so tempted to book flights to Bulgaria tonight (visiting friend). Lol don’t have enough patience in me to wait till Tuesday.

I had to delete the Booking.com & Ryanair apps off my phone because I kept going to book & then argued myself out of it to wait for the update on Tuesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I had to delete the Booking.com & Ryanair apps off my phone because I kept going to book & then argued myself out of it to wait for the update on Tuesday :D

We weresupposed to fly to Portugal yesterday but we booked additional flights for Tuesday at 5 pm - here’s hoping we get there

Cork Lass wrote: »
    We weresupposed to fly to Portugal yesterday but we booked additional flights for Tuesday at 5 pm - here’s hoping we get there

what happened with yesterday if you don't mind me asking?

I've been considering Albuifera myself as cases are relatively low over in Portugal atm AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I've been considering Albuifera myself as cases are relatively low over in Portugal atm AFAIK.

Currently Portugal has 57 cases per 100,000 compared to 41 here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My husband working in environment where he could only travel if it’s a green list area. I’m working from home so no issue for me.

Currently Portugal has 57 cases per 100,000 compared to 41 here

my mistake, I thought I seen it on that map being yellow (>20) - at least part of it anyway.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My husband working in environment where he could only travel if it’s a green list area. I’m working from home so no issue for me.

ah I see.

I'm working from home myself as is the OH who I'd be going with.

My holidays will be in October which is why I'm hesitant to book just yet as a lot might change between now & then..

I was looking at Tenerife but my worry is cases rise over there between now & then & they lockdown or something.

Hopefully ye get away now Tuesday, fingers crossed for ya!

I've just seen that cases in Cyprus are very low, looks like the weather will be lovely in October too, anyone ever been or know what it's supposed to be like? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Is there any website to see 14 day incidence rate per EU country? I'm currently in Bulgaria and I'm hoping if Ireland sign up for the EU travel system I won't have to quarentine when I get back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Klonker wrote: »
    Is there any website to see 14 day incidence rate per EU country? I'm currently in Bulgaria and I'm hoping if Ireland sign up for the EU travel system I won't have to quarentine when I get back :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've just seen that cases in Cyprus are very low, looks like the weather will be lovely in October too, anyone ever been or know what it's supposed to be like? :)

Don't bet on getting into Cyprus from Ireland, with all the cases the HSE have compiled recently Ireland will be lucky to be on many countries "Green list"..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Don't bet on getting into Cyprus from Ireland, with all the cases the HSE have compiled recently Ireland will be lucky to be on many countries "Green list"..

yeah I've seen this since also.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Does anyone know if you can get a test on arrival in Cyprus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 321123

Take a trip to Stockholm guys. Beautiful city that is very pretty in September/October with lots to see, no Covid hysteria what so ever (I'm Irish living there), everything is open and running as normal, no facemasks, cases are some of the lowest in Europe now (will make the EU green list), the usual tourist crowds are gone but everyone is friendly to tourists, everyone speaks perfect English and Sweden doesn't require anyone arriving from EU to quarantine, take a test or restrict movements. Just fly in and enjoy yourself like it should be.

acer911 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get a test on arrival in Cyprus?

I'm not sure other than what I seen on Trip Advisor attached here saying that you must get a test within 72 hours of flying.

edit: there's a lot more questions & answers on it here actually, the answer would seem to be no.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g190372-i9179-Cyprus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Flew abroad and back last week to visit friends. First time flying this year.

I can't say I was very impressed. Mask compliance in the airport and on the plane is a lot lower than what I have been seeing lately in shops and supermarkets. On the plane, a few people were wearing no coverings at all. Of the people who were wearing them, about half weren't wearing them correctly. Flight attendants not bothered about that at all.

There was one guy who was wearing a pathetic "mask" that he made himself which was basically a piece of plastic about the size of a matchbox hanging about a inch away from his mouth.

That being said, planes do seem to be a low risk place for transmission. If it was higher, I'm sure a lot more flight attendants would be getting infected. Like anything with masks, it just annoys me that there are so many selfish and inconsiderate people who feel OK with potentially putting the health of other people at risk just to avoid the mild inconvenience of wearing a mask.

321123 wrote: »
    Take a trip to Stockholm guys. Beautiful city that is very pretty in September/October with lots to see, no Covid hysteria what so ever (I'm Irish living there), everything is open and running as normal, no facemasks, cases are some of the lowest in Europe now (will make the EU green list), the usual tourist crowds are gone but everyone is friendly to tourists, everyone speaks perfect English and Sweden doesn't require anyone arriving from EU to quarantine, take a test or restrict movements. Just fly in and enjoy yourself like it should be.

Sounds like a great place to get away from the Covid hysteria and fatigue in Ireland...
    Shame there's no direct flights on Ryanair though...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 321123

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Sounds like a great place to get away from the Covid hysteria and fatigue in Ireland...
    Shame there's no direct flights on Ryanair though...
    Well I get if you have Ryanair vouchers, if not SAS flies directly 3-4 times a week and tickets are currently 70-100 Euro one way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

manniot2 wrote: »
    Testing at the airport at the cost of the customer will be the final nail in the tourism coffin. Who is going to come here for a weekend if it involves hours sitting in the airport waiting for an inaccurate test that could result in you isolating before leaving a few days later.

Will it be covered on the Medical Card ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

321123 wrote: »
    Well I get if you have Ryanair vouchers, if not SAS flies directly 3-4 times a week and tickets are currently 70-100 Euro one way.

Yea saw that, SAS are quite expensive though! :eek:

I'm just used to RA's €15 one way flights! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I just don't understand how Irish people, who are some of world's biggest travelers, are ok with a government that has become the most anti-travel government in all of Europe.

It's like if the Icelandic government banned people from fishing, and everyone went "oh ok then, no big deal."

Why are they doing this (obviously it cannot be justified with Covid reasons because all of Europe is dealing with Covid yet nowhere is traveling out of a country as prohibited as in Ireland) , and why are they being allowed to get away with this?

Have Irish people simply stopped caring about traveling?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

The_Brood wrote: »
    Why are they doing this (obviously it cannot be justified with Covid reasons because all of Europe is dealing with Covid yet nowhere is traveling out of a country as prohibited as in Ireland) , and why are they being allowed to get away with this?

I'm strongly against the current travel policy here but that's not quite true. Hungary has effectively closed its borders. Norway and Finland also have strong travel restrictions and tiny green lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

polesheep wrote: »
    Just back from Italy. Had an amazing time. Precautions rather than restrictions is the way I would describe things over there. No sense of doom or fear. I think anyone who abandoned holiday plans made a very poor decision.

Must have taken you a while to get home traveling via high Horse...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement