Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The_Brood wrote: »
    I just don't understand how Irish people, who are some of world's biggest travelers, are ok with a government that has become the most anti-travel government in all of Europe.It's like if the Icelandic government banned people from fishing, and everyone went "oh ok then, no big deal."Why are they doing this (obviously it cannot be justified with Covid reasons because all of Europe is dealing with Covid yet nowhere is traveling out of a country as prohibited as in Ireland) , and why are they being allowed to get away with this?Have Irish people simply stopped caring about traveling?

Just been scared into it by NPHET-FFFG, the 14 day quarantine requirement, the lack of action/guidance/updates on Travel from them has meant that many employers are telling employee's to take 2 weeks leave even if they come back from countries with lower case rates than here..Or you can't bring your kids back to school... Too much fear circulating around.

I just don't understand how Irish people, who are some of world's biggest travelers, are ok with a government that has become the most anti-travel government in all of Europe....

Loads of Irish folk want no travelling whatsoever into the country.

Augeo wrote: »
    Loads of Irish folk want no travelling whatsoever into the country.

True, at one stage on here we had people who expressed an interest in going up to Dublin airport and staging a blockade or asking if paramilitaries would intimidate U.S tourists from coming here also...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just back from Italy. Largely ok there but in some of the touristy areas they're just flat out ignoring the problem, people rammed in everywhere. I was told by a site rep in one area that we "didn't need to worry" about social distancing on the beach, did one night in that place and then abandoned ship and moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

atahuapla wrote: »
    Must have taken you a while to get home traveling via high Horse...

Feeling burned, are we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I just don't understand how Irish people, who are some of world's biggest travelers, are ok with a government that has become the most anti-travel government in all of Europe.

It's like if the Icelandic government banned people from fishing, and everyone went "oh ok then, no big deal."

Why are they doing this (obviously it cannot be justified with Covid reasons because all of Europe is dealing with Covid yet nowhere is traveling out of a country as prohibited as in Ireland) , and why are they being allowed to get away with this?

Have Irish people simply stopped caring about traveling?

For me personally I travel a lot but usually for events, of which all were cancelled this year so I changed my plans to see a bit of Ireland instead.

And with remote working I can move around Ireland and see parts of it I never have and spend some real time there.

To be honest it's been great, enforced like WFH but both have been thoroughly enjoyable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Just back from Italy. Largely ok there but in some of the touristy areas they're just flat out ignoring the problem, people rammed in everywhere. I was told by a site rep in one area that we "didn't need to worry" about social distancing on the beach, did one night in that place and then abandoned ship and moved on.

Why would you need to socially distance on the beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You're talking rows and rows of sunbeds laid out, the same spacing as per usual. It was very busy, not my scene anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

You're talking rows and rows of sunbeds laid out, the same spacing as per usual. It was very busy, not my scene anyway.

Yeah i get that. Not my scene either.

But risk of transmission in outdoors and open air is absolutely minimal unless you are literally lying on top of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Not long back from 4 days in Italy.

Everything back to normal over there with the exception of mandatory face masks which on the whole seem to be well followed.

Social Distancing has gone out the window and even at that it is 1m. Italians never queue anyway, so they are back the way they always were. Restaurants and bars had some dividers up, but most ignore. Order at the bar, payment in cash only in many places I was in.

Flight out was over 80% full and flight back more than 90% full as you can see in the attached pic.

I can see why Ryanair want travel without quarantine in place because there is a huge appetite to travel.

The paper passenger locator form has more questions on it than before. No queues at the border in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Flew abroad and back last week to visit friends. First time flying this year.

I can't say I was very impressed. Mask compliance in the airport and on the plane is a lot lower than what I have been seeing lately in shops and supermarkets. On the plane, a few people were wearing no coverings at all. Of the people who were wearing them, about half weren't wearing them correctly. Flight attendants not bothered about that at all.

There was one guy who was wearing a pathetic "mask" that he made himself which was basically a piece of plastic about the size of a matchbox hanging about a inch away from his mouth.

That being said, planes do seem to be a low risk place for transmission. If it was higher, I'm sure a lot more flight attendants would be getting infected. Like anything with masks, it just annoys me that there are so many selfish and inconsiderate people who feel OK with potentially putting the health of other people at risk just to avoid the mild inconvenience of wearing a mask.

I flew abroad with Ryanair at the weekend and had a similar experience. While everyone on the plane, which was I'd say 80%-90% full, had face masks, almost all were wearing them on their chins for the duration of the flight and that's not an exaggeration. I felt like saying it to a flight attendant but really there was no point and would have only caused hassle.

I don't want to try put people off, just want to give an honest assessment of how flying was for me. I won't be looking forward to the return flight but enjoying my holiday all the same with no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

It seems from media reports that the Government will not be immediately following the EU rules but rather will adjust to a new green list of below 25. That means Germany and Poland will be added but Greece and Italy off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

DVDM93 wrote: »
    should we expect to see the price of flights from Ireland rise significantly once this happens?

I'll be travelling regardless, but I'm not sure whether to book something now as it's very cheap at the moment, or to wait for the traffic light system to come in to play & hope that flight prices don't rise significantly.

At the moment, all prices to most places like Greece, The Canary Islands, Portugal, etc... are very cheap right up until the October Bank Holiday week (mid-term break) where they rise a bit in price again.

Id book now. Prices rocketed for the green countries when the green list was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Klonker wrote: »
    I flew abroad with Ryanair at the weekend and had a similar experience. While everyone on the plane, which was I'd say 80%-90% full, had face masks, almost all were wearing them on their chins for the duration of the flight and that's not an exaggeration. I felt like saying it to a flight attendant but really there was no point and would have only caused hassle.

I don't want to try put people off, just want to give an honest assessment of how flying was for me. I won't be looking forward to the return flight but enjoying my holiday all the same with no regrets.

I've gotten 8 flights now during this and on all of them there's been almost 100% compliance re: masks, and worn properly.

One thing though I will say is that Ryanairs random seat selection is still putting people next to each other, even when the plane is only 30% full (as in there's space to distance). Most just ignore it and take any seat but still, stupid considering how easily it could be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

It seems from media reports that the Government will not be immediately following the EU rules but rather will adjust to a new green list of below 25. That means Germany and Poland will be added but Greece and Italy off the list.

When will we start to follow the new EU rules then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I've gotten 8 flights now during this and on all of them there's been almost 100% compliance re: masks, and worn properly.

One thing though I will say is that Ryanairs random seat selection is still putting people next to each other, even when the plane is only 30% full (as in there's space to distance). Most just ignore it and take any seat but still, stupid considering how easily it could be fixed.

It probably depends a lot on what flight you are on. Mine was to an Eastern European country and I might have been the only one not from that country. Since I've been here the country doesn't seem too concerned with the restrictions at all. Most don't wear masks at all and those that do most wear on their chins. I've mostly been in the countryside so far though where there isn't many cases, it may be different when I go to the cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Germany likely to be on next green lost but host of countries won’t be including the UK

Germany likely to be on next green lost but host of countries won’t be including the UK

As it should be. But will be interesting to see whether they take Italy and Greece off the current list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Klonker wrote: »

God forbid you'd give an honest account on here without being called a liar. I posted weeks ago about the same kind of experience - poor compliance with masks and a totally full flight and was basically told I was lying by someone who wasn't even on the fcking flight and told I shouldn't travel because I'm too anxious.

It's mad how some people can't cope with their delusions being shattered. Is denial a coping mechanism for them or something?

The fact is, compliance is poor and flights are often very full. It's only fair and decent to be honest about that fact and let someone who might be reading this thread and on the fence about travelling make a decision based on that reality and not the one in people's heads. I would hate for someone to decide to travel thinking the flights are empty and everyone is properly masked up only to realise it isn't true. The reality is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

God forbid you'd give an honest account on here without being called a liar. I posted weeks ago about the same kind of experience - poor compliance with masks and a totally full flight and was basically told I was lying by someone who wasn't even on the fcking flight and told I shouldn't travel because I'm too anxious.

It's mad how some people can't cope with their delusions being shattered. Is denial a coping mechanism for them or something?

The fact is, compliance is poor and flights are often very full. It's only fair and decent to be honest about that fact and let someone who might be reading this thread and on the fence about travelling make a decision based on that reality and not the one in people's heads. I would hate for someone to decide to travel thinking the flights are empty and everyone is properly masked up only to realise it isn't true. The reality is what it is.

I think it probably varies, possibly depending on the destination. On the flights I took it seemed as though compliance was very high. But I can easily accept that there are flights where it is not. People are just reporting their experiences, good or bad.

• Advertisement

As it should be. But will be interesting to see whether they take Italy and Greece off the current list.

Ireland’s 14-day incidence rate is currently higher than Italy (32.4) and double that of Germany (21.7)... It will be PCR tests for Irish passengers going to those countries...Same for Greece at 29.... Even Sweden is at 22.7 a country that never imposed a 14 Quarantine as in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ireland’s 14-day incidence rate is currently higher than Italy (32.4) and double that of Germany (21.7)... It will be PCR tests for Irish passengers going to those countries...Same for Greece at 29.... Even Sweden is at 22.7 a country that never imposed a 14 Quarantine as in Ireland...

Yeah, I was thinking the same, Ireland's trajectory will probably get us in the red zone - over 50 cases per 100k of population during the last 14 days. Same for many other countries to be honest, more than 10 already worse than Ireland.
    I think all countries should have already planned for testing facilities in country entry points - if they plan to keep entry points open of course.
    I think that during the coming weeks and months we might see certain rules on entering countries that will work as a deterrent to travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭irelandrover

To be fair the part in bold isn't a fact at all. the 2 flights i was on were at about 25% capacity and the compliance was high. The flights you were ion were full and the compliance was low.

You cant just make up facts and expect people to accept them.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking the same, Ireland's trajectory will probably get us in the red zone - over 50 cases per 100k of population during the last 14 days. Same for many other countries to be honest, more than 10 already worse than Ireland.
    I think all countries should have already planned for testing facilities in country entry points - if they plan to keep entry points open of course.
    I think that during the coming weeks and months we might see certain rules on entering countries that will work as a deterrent to travelling.

There's only 5 European countries with a higher case rate than Dublin, so if other countries take the same view on travel as Ireland then expect 14 day quarantines pretty much everywhere you'd want to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

No mention of travel as of yet, in the press conference....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭1123heavy

No mention of travel as of yet, in the press conference....

It was mentioned, it was part 2 of his 3 points, he said they "broadly" support the EU travel plan going forward, no further details though. I don't quite see Ireland going against any EU wide plan in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

1123heavy wrote: »
    It was mentioned, it was part 2 of his 3 points, he said they "broadly" support the EU travel plan going forward, no further details though. I don't quite see Ireland going against any EI wide plan in all fairness.
    he just said there that they will align the green list to the upcoming proposals and add and remove countries as appropriate

So if its countries <25 per 100k then Germany, Sweden and Poland come on the list, Greece off it (could be more, they seem like the obvious ones that affect most)

The way we are going we will be red listed by every other country and rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Another fudge job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

he just said there that they will align the green list to the upcoming proposals and add and remove countries as appropriate

So if its countries <25 per 100k then Germany, Sweden and Poland come on the list, Greece off it (could be more, they seem like the obvious ones that affect most)

Hmmm... I had tickets booked to Athens this Friday, but the weather over there for Friday and Sat ain’t looking to Good, was going to postpone it till next Friday but with the concern of them being off the list and having to quarantine doesn’t really sit well with me lol. And to top it off I only have today to make up my mind cause I am still under the 24 hour grace period with Ryanair. What would you guys do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement