Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Hmmm... I had tickets booked to Athens this Friday, but the weather over there for Friday and Sat ain’t looking to Good, was going to postpone it till next Friday but with the concern of them being off the list and having to quarantine doesn’t really sit well with me lol. And to top it off I only have today to make up my mind cause I am still under the 24 hour grace period with Ryanair. What would you guys do?

Skip Athens and go to the islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

October 13th.

"in the mean time" we'll be told what to do between now & then.

Sure that doesn't help very much does it :pac:

https://twitter.com/eoghancorry/status/1305832873010827264?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

DVDM93 wrote: »
    October 13th.

Sometime between now & then we'll be updated "in the mean time".

Sure that doesn't help very much does it :pac:

https://twitter.com/eoghancorry/status/1305832873010827264?s=20

Ah that’s handy then. It won’t be updated till 13th October. Thanks for that!

Ah that’s handy then. It won’t be updated till 13th October. Thanks for that!

but it's also says that the DFA will update the list in the mean time.

no date given between now & the 13th of October as to when that might be.

It doesn't really help anyone planning to travel between now & the 13th of October.

'Sure that doesn't help very much does it :pac:

I meant this in a serous way BTW, not a sarcastic way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

But even when this new EU plan does come into effect it still doesn’t offer any piece of mind when planning to travel. By the time you’re going on a planned trip that country could have been removed from the list or worse still it could be removed when you’re actually there meaning you presumably will have to quarantine upon your return? Am I right in saying this or have I got it wrong? If I am right then how is this going to change anything as regards travel? The uncertainty will still remain.
    but it's also says that the DFA will update the list in the mean time.

no date given between now & the 13th of October as to when that might be.

It doesn't really help anyone planning to travel between now & the 13th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Anyone have info about what the new EU metric for travel contains?

johnire wrote: »
    But even when this new EU plan does come into effect it still doesn’t offer any piece of mind when planning to travel. By the time you’re going on a planned trip that country could have been removed from the list or worse still it could be removed when you’re actually there meaning you presumably will have to quarantine upon your return? Am I right in saying this or have I got it wrong? If I am right then how is this going to change anything as regards travel? The uncertainty will still remain.

more so the "in the mean time part" regarding the current list.

Greece & Italy are on it at the moment.

Germany & Poland are not.

The number of cases in Greece in Italy at the moment are 25+, where as in Germany & Poland they're - 25.

So really Greece & Italy shouldn't be on the green list, Germany & Poland should, yet nothing has changed in that regard.

They'll tell us "in the mean time".

That doesn't help someone planning to go to Greek the first week of October or someone who might want to go to Germany next week as examples.

more so the "in the mean time part" regarding the current list.

Greece & Italy are on it at the moment.

Germany & Poland are not.

The number of cases in Greece in Italy at the moment are 25+, where as in Germany & Poland they're - 25.

So really Greece & Italy shouldn't be on the green list, Germany & Poland should, yet nothing has changed in that regard.

They'll tell us "in the mean time".

That doesn't help someone planning to go to Greek the first week of October or someone who might want to go to Germany next week as examples.

I am reading it as they will update the list today and kick Italy and Greece off it, but no one seriously talked to the DFA about this approach and how it will be perceived.

“Ireland bans travel to Italy and Greece which are substantially safer than Ireland”.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

New EU travel rules include provision for testing on arrival. So if you travel to a "green" country and while you're on holidays it gets downgraded to "amber", you should be able to get a test at the airport when you travel back here and quarantine only until you receive your negative result. I find it highly unlikely that a green country goes to red in the span of a traditional 1-2 week holiday.
    that's what some European countries have been doing from the get go (greece)... some have recently adopted it (Germany/italy). e.g. Rome airport claims they can deliver a 30min turnaround time for tests.

But key to getting travel started again is flexibility in changing tickets without penalties or getting refund vouchers. current system doesnt allow you to buy holidays 6 months in advance (or even 6 weeks!) so need to have the flexibility to change dates or destinations otherwise few people would take the risk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    But key to getting travel started again is flexibility in changing tickets without penalties or getting refund vouchers. current system doesnt allow you to buy holidays 6 months in advance (or even 6 weeks!) so need to have the flexibility to change dates or destinations otherwise few people would take the risk

Ryanair has been doing free changes for a month or so now, plus the flights are next to nothing.. I can get to Gran Canaria for the same price as a Taxi from the airport to Stephens Green....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Thanks-that’s very well explained. Unfortunately for me it’s going to be very difficult as I plan any travel-months-sometimes up to a year in advance.
    yoshimitsu wrote: »
    New EU travel rules include provision for testing on arrival. So if you travel to a "green" country and while you're on holidays it gets downgraded to "amber", you should be able to get a test at the airport when you travel back here and quarantine only until you receive your negative result. I find it highly unlikely that a green country goes to red in the span of a traditional 1-2 week holiday.
    that's what some European countries have been doing from the get go (greece)... some have recently adopted it (Germany/italy). e.g. Rome airport claims they can deliver a 30min turnaround time for tests.

I am reading it as they will update the list today and kick Italy and Greece off it, but no one seriously talked to the DFA about this approach and how it will be perceived.

“Ireland bans travel to Italy and Greece which are substantially safer than Ireland”.

so when he said "in the mean time" he meant sometime today regarding when the DFA will update the green list?

“Ireland bans travel to Italy and Greece which are substantially safer than Ireland” - where are you seeing or hearing this, sorry, I'm either going blind or deaf :D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

RTE are saying the list will be updated from Monday. What a farce.

so when he said "in the mean time" he meant sometime today regarding when the DFA will update the green list?

“Ireland bans travel to Italy and Greece which are substantially safer than Ireland” - where are you seeing or hearing this, sorry, I'm either going blind or deaf :D:)

In my opinion, that is how Ireland will be perceived if we go ahead with that plan.

It has been both incoherent and incompetent in respect to foreign travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

In my opinion, that is how Ireland will be perceived if we go ahead with that plan.

It has been both incoherent and incompetent in respect to foreign travel.

I think though that this would be the case in other countries too, kind of making it up as they go.
    I reckon Ireland will also be removed from other countries' green lists.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think though that this would be the case in other countries too, kind of making it up as they go.
    I reckon Ireland will also be removed from other countries' green lists.

We have been stricter than most and quite inflexible. In my opinion. Not that others have not made mistakes either. It seems that we are not learning from our mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Two of my colleagues have sheepishly told me recently that they have booked holidays to Greece for late-Sept, early Oct.

Apparently there are some great deals available - assuming you don't have kids/school to worry about.

Seems like the penny is starting to drop with a lot of people - the virus is here for the foreseeable, get busy living with it.

I'd say there are a lot of people feeling very foolish they canceled their summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Just getting up to date with all this now.

So does anybody know if the 14 day quarantine is set to continue in the months ahead? Adopting the EU approach implies a choice for the traveller between a test or quarantine, a lot more open and democratic than the current 14 day restrict movements malarky. Not many other EU states are imposing quarantine on their returning citizens so I'm both curious but also hugely apprehensive as I travel frequently to Spain. And can't at the moment because I don't wfh.

acequion wrote: »
    Just getting up to date with all this now.

So does anybody know if the 14 day quarantine is set to continue in the months ahead? Adopting the EU approach implies a choice for the traveller between a test or quarantine, a lot more open and democratic than the current 14 day restrict movements malarky. Not many other EU states are imposing quarantine on their returning citizens so I'm both curious but also hugely apprehensive as I travel frequently to Spain. And can't at the moment because I don't wfh.

There is no 14 day quarantine.

You're perfectly free to ignore it - I certainly did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Two of my colleagues have sheepishly told me recently that they have booked holidays to Greece for late-Sept, early Oct.

Apparently there are some great deals available - assuming you don't have kids/school to worry about.

Seems like the penny is starting to drop with a lot of people - the virus is here for the foreseeable, get busy living with it.

I'd say there are a lot of people feeling very foolish they canceled their summer holidays.

I really doubt many if any people would feel foolish about cancelling a holiday abroad during this pandemic. People would have cancelled because the holiday would potentially be a bit ****. And the possibility of having to quarantine on return would not thave appealed to many. Also the potential of catching and passing on a virus due to increased social interactions would morally not rest well with some.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    I really doubt many if any people would feel foolish about cancelling a holiday abroad during this pandemic. People would have cancelled because the holiday would potentially be a bit ****. And the possibility of having to quarantine on return would not thave appealed to many. Also the potential of catching and passing on a virus due to increased social interactions would morally not rest well with some.

And yet some of those same people who canceled in July are heading off to Greece in September.

I guess they reset their moral compass in the interim or something.

You never had to quarantine on return btw - no matter where you went.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Delighted I went ahead to Portugal in August, great time with the kid, everyone sticking to rules over there in Algarve

After the announcement scandal today I've booked another week for myself and the girlfriend to Portugal in 3 weeks, €40 Return can't beat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

No surprise to read that. Typical of you and your ****ed up mentality.

No surprise to read that. Typical of you and your ****ed up mentality.

The thinking for yourself mentality?

Yeah, I can see how that might be frightening for you to contemplate.

Are you planning to travel or did you just pop into the thread for a bit of a finger-wag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Sam Hain wrote: »

In all honesty, everyone I know who has asked me about my recent holiday abroad has told me that they regret not going themselves. Obviously, during lockdowns, any holiday would be sh*t, but once other countries opened up to tourists there really was no reason not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

facehugger99 I like most of your posts and wish there were only more people around like you.

BUT please understand that some people are caught badly in their work. In the entire public service, whether you wfh or not, a 14 day unpaid quarantine has been imposed on those who travel non green list. In fact even if you travel green list you're actually supposed to tell the boss where you're going. Mental stuff!! Now how legal that is I don't know and in other countries unions mightn't be so quiet about it, but this is sheepish Ireland and the unions have done FA. And I have badgered mine.

Now you can say head off and tell no one, say you're heading up the country but most people don't want to have to lie about something like a holiday and if you blatantly defy it you will be landed in trouble with your boss. A lot of hassle for a holiday.

And it's not just the PS. Many private companies have also imposed the unpaid 14 extra days on staff, meaning a holiday becomes 3-4 weeks of which 2 are unpaid, sitting at home. Which I strongly suspect is why international travel from Ireland has been decimated. Granted, you'll have the timid bunch who won't travel in a pandemic, but you'll have a lot, especially younger people who'd love to head off but can't because either themselves or their partners are caught by the above.

And the fact that there is so much acceptance of it and so little noise is very worrying. And the fact that it could go on for months is downright alarming. But hey this is Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

acequion wrote: »
    facehugger99 I like most of your posts and wish there were only more people around like you.

BUT please understand that some people are caught badly in their work. In the entire public service, whether you wfh or not, a 14 day unpaid quarantine has been imposed on those who travel non green list. In fact even if you travel green list you're actually supposed to tell the boss where you're going. Mental stuff!! Now how legal that is I don't know and in other countries unions mightn't be so quiet about it, but this is sheepish Ireland and the unions have done FA. And I have badgered mine.

Now you can say head off and tell no one, say you're heading up the country but most people don't want to have to lie about something like a holiday and if you blatantly defy it you will be landed in trouble with your boss. A lot of hassle for a holiday.

And it's not just the PS. Many private companies have also imposed the unpaid 14 extra days on staff, meaning a holiday becomes 3-4 weeks of which 2 are unpaid, sitting at home. Which I strongly suspect is why international travel from Ireland has been decimated. Granted, you'll have the timid bunch who won't travel in a pandemic, but you'll have a lot, especially younger people who'd love to head off but can't because either themselves or their partners are caught by the above.

And the fact that there is so much acceptance of it and so little noise is very worrying. And the fact that it could go on for months is downright alarming. But hey this is Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I fully agree - there is absolutely no requirement to tell your employer (whether public or private) what you get up to in your spare time. There is no requirement to tell your kids school what you do in your spare time. There is no requirement to tell your dentist what you do in your spare time.

If people aren't comfortable with these statements of fact then don't travel - it won't stop me from heading off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think I'll go for a week to Sweden now that it'll be on the green list.
    Employers can't ask me to restrict movements for 2 weeks on return.

It'll be nice to get to a country where there are no masks required anywhere and bars and nightclubs are fully open.

• Advertisement

I think I'll go for a week to Sweden now that it'll be on the green list.
    Employers can't ask me to restrict movements for 2 weeks on return.

It'll be nice to get to a country where there are no masks required anywhere and bars and nightclubs are fully open.

Yeah, you might be a little disappointed with the nightclubs and bars. Table seating only with strict social distancing enforced. People have this idea that Sweden is a free-for-all and it absolutely is not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement