Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

I fully agree - there is absolutely no requirement to tell your employer (whether public or private) what you get up to in your spare time. There is no requirement to tell your kids school what you do in your spare time. There is no requirement to tell your dentist what you do in your spare time.

If people aren't comfortable with these statements of fact then don't travel - it won't stop me from heading off though.

Ok but you can't deny that it is a major impediment for a load of people. And who's to say they won't put it on a legal footing, nothing would surprise me!

May I ask if you are impacted by this yourself or are you free to wfh and do your own thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

acequion wrote: »
    facehugger99 I like most of your posts and wish there were only more people around like you.

BUT please understand that some people are caught badly in their work. In the entire public service, whether you wfh or not, a 14 day unpaid quarantine has been imposed on those who travel non green list. In fact even if you travel green list you're actually supposed to tell the boss where you're going. Mental stuff!! Now how legal that is I don't know and in other countries unions mightn't be so quiet about it, but this is sheepish Ireland and the unions have done FA. And I have badgered mine.

Now you can say head off and tell no one, say you're heading up the country but most people don't want to have to lie about something like a holiday and if you blatantly defy it you will be landed in trouble with your boss. A lot of hassle for a holiday.

And it's not just the PS. Many private companies have also imposed the unpaid 14 extra days on staff, meaning a holiday becomes 3-4 weeks of which 2 are unpaid, sitting at home. Which I strongly suspect is why international travel from Ireland has been decimated. Granted, you'll have the timid bunch who won't travel in a pandemic, but you'll have a lot, especially younger people who'd love to head off but can't because either themselves or their partners are caught by the above.

And the fact that there is so much acceptance of it and so little noise is very worrying. And the fact that it could go on for months is downright alarming. But hey this is Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you'll find that most union officials are elderly, vulnerable, or government lackys, so don't expect any help there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

acequion wrote: »
    facehugger99 I like most of your posts and wish there were only more people around like you.

BUT please understand that some people are caught badly in their work. In the entire public service, whether you wfh or not, a 14 day unpaid quarantine has been imposed on those who travel non green list. In fact even if you travel green list you're actually supposed to tell the boss where you're going. Mental stuff!! Now how legal that is I don't know and in other countries unions mightn't be so quiet about it, but this is sheepish Ireland and the unions have done FA. And I have badgered mine.

Now you can say head off and tell no one, say you're heading up the country but most people don't want to have to lie about something like a holiday and if you blatantly defy it you will be landed in trouble with your boss. A lot of hassle for a holiday.

And it's not just the PS. Many private companies have also imposed the unpaid 14 extra days on staff, meaning a holiday becomes 3-4 weeks of which 2 are unpaid, sitting at home. Which I strongly suspect is why international travel from Ireland has been decimated. Granted, you'll have the timid bunch who won't travel in a pandemic, but you'll have a lot, especially younger people who'd love to head off but can't because either themselves or their partners are caught by the above.

And the fact that there is so much acceptance of it and so little noise is very worrying. And the fact that it could go on for months is downright alarming. But hey this is Ireland.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why is that? The country is in deep enough **** already without encouraging more moronic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why is that? The country is in deep enough **** already without encouraging more moronic behaviour.

Trying to get banned from 2 threads in a day?

The thinking for yourself mentality?

Yeah, I can see how that might be frightening for you to contemplate.

Are you planning to travel or did you just pop into the thread for a bit of a finger-wag?

Thinking for yourself ? You?:D :Probably one of the most delusional of all the "contributors" to this forum?:D Give me a ****ing break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

And why is it in deep enough would you think? Despite all our rules and regulations that the Govt themselves got tripped up in, [Clifden golf dinner anyone!!!] we are worse off then many of our European neighbours where freedom of movement remained respected.

So the moronic behaviour isn't coming from those who challenge, rather from the mega morons who unfortunately govern this country. :mad:

Trying to get banned from 2 threads in a day?
    If necessary I will take a permanent ban from the forum or the site and guess what? It will be worth it if it means characters like you can be shown up for what you really are. Either way should I choose to I will be back in one form or another before too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Despite a passport arriving in record time, looks as though a trip abroad is not on the cards in 2020 with latest BS updates. Impossible to plan properly. Ugh... What an incompetent group we are "led" by. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Done the UK, France and South Italy in the last three months, back to the UK in about 6 weeks and then a big one in Jan, hopefully international too. But have to keep a realistic eye on things, in no way worried about flying or travelling etc... just the mega hassles if things go a little awry and the travel is messed up or the flights are cancelled..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Still confused by government call on travel.....what was said in the end ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still confused by government call on travel.....what was said in the end ?

The green list continues for now, will be updated Thursday? or maybe next Monday?

They will use the EU standard reference for green which is <25 cases per 100k in last 14 days.

Will then be in place until Ireland join the EU standard sometime in October

Basically start planning your trip to Germany, flights on ryanair only 7.99 each way :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Any link to a site where you would find the 14 day rate in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

What Spain like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What Spain like ?

Closer to 250 than 25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Closer to 250 than 25

Where we will be next week.

Where we will be next week.

Just as our government stops discouraging travel, we won’t be welcome anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I wonder will the Spanish Islands be treated differently to the mainland?

I’ve heard they are trying to push through fast, subsidised tests and Covid insurance to attract visitors back.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Any link to a site where you would find the 14 day rate in Europe?

table here & a map underneath.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Anyone travelled into Madrid lately? Can you get a test at the airport or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I wonder will the Spanish Islands be treated differently to the mainland?

I’ve heard they are trying to push through fast, subsidised tests and Covid insurance to attract visitors back.
    We have a holiday booked to Lanzo for the third week of October so I would love to see us being able to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

When are they gonna introduce testing at our airports to replace useless 14 days quarantine? Probably after Cork and Shannon's airports closures? It is a shambles...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

There is no 14 day quarantine.

You're perfectly free to ignore it - I certainly did.

Totally reckless behaviour. You and your 'Ireland breathes free' buddies are a danger to society.

atahuapla wrote: »
    Totally reckless behaviour. You and your 'Ireland breathes free' buddies are a danger to society.

I did not adhere it too. What the point if some people can congregate together to play golf and party? They better to stick to their stupid rules first themselves.

gral6 wrote: »
    I did not adhere it too. What the point if some people can congregate together to play golf and party? They better to stick to their stupid rules first themselves.

Who is they?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Brilliant, you're using one instance of idiotic behaviour to justify your own.

I have real pity at the people who have to involuntarily associate with you and your selfish, dangerous behaviour.

It's a sad state of affairs to see Ireland adopt this anti-science, Dunning-Krugerism from the US.

atahuapla wrote: »
    Brilliant, you're using one instance of idiotic behaviour to justify your own.

I have real pity at the people who have to involuntarily associate with you and your selfish, dangerous behaviour.

It's a sad state of affairs to see Ireland adopt this anti-science, Dunning-Krugerism from the US.

I have good example of perfect behaivour.
    Unfortunately, the rules are just for the plebs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

When are they gonna introduce testing at our airports to replace useless 14 days quarantine? Probably after Cork and Shannon's airports closures? It is a shambles...
    no its perfectly logical

Germany and Sweden have rates of 20ish per 100k so they are foreign and have the dangerous version of foreign covid so must be kept out and make those people do 14 days quarantine in case they spread it all over the palce

Dublin has nearly 100 cases per 100k, 5 times that of some countries abroad, but thats safe domestic covid and anyone coming from there can roam ireland at will perfectly safely without danger of infecting anyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement