Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

no its perfectly logical

Germany and Sweden have rates of 20ish per 100k so they are foreign and have the dangerous version of foreign covid so must be kept out and make those people do 14 days quarantine in case they spread it all over the palce

Dublin has nearly 100 cases per 100k, 5 times that of some countries abroad, but thats safe domestic covid and anyone coming from there can roam ireland at will perfectly safely without danger of infecting anyone

I could not agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

Is there a chance that Germany will declare Dublin a risk area? They've done that with Vienna today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

VG31 wrote: »
    Is there a chance that Germany will declare Dublin a risk area? They've done that with Vienna today.
    the german threshold for a risk area is not very scientifically based (and there was plenty of uproar at the time) but you need some number to work around, so they opted for the relatively high 50 per 100k per 7 days, which would equate roughly to the 100 per fortnight in irish numbers, and Dublin is almost at that now.

The nice thing about the german approach is that it will take regions or cities as risk areas, if its obvious that the main danger is from those specific areas. So Dublin could be delcared as risky, the rest not.

I'm fairly sure too that unlike Ireland, they look at where you were staying so if you are from Galway you could travel out of Dublin airport and still not be considered as coming "from Dublin" !!! (they say you have to have "spent time" there, which to me means you can go straight to an airport and fly out of there)

actually, heres how they come up with whats a risk area so yea, Dublin must be close on it now
    Classification as a risk area is the result of a joint analysis and decision-making process by the Federal Ministry of Health, the Federal Foreign Office and the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community. This classification as a risk area is based on a two-step assessment.

Initially, it is determined in which countries/regions there were more than 50 new infections per 100,000 inhabitants in the last seven days. etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Doesn't matter, all the German authorities will do is issue an advisory on high case areas to avoid if possible..

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, all the German authorities will do is issue an advisory on high case areas to avoid if possible..

Surely it matters if you want to go Germany from Dublin? If you come from a risk area you're supposed to either quarantine or be tested on arrival.

• Advertisement

Surely it matters if you want to go Germany from Dublin? If you come from a risk area you're supposed to either quarantine or be tested on arrival.

No matter where you come from when you arrive in Dublin you're asked to isolate for 14 days, even though Doctors have cut that down to 10 days if you test positive.
    Also there's no free testing at Irish airports.. There should be "Donnelly testing" available for anyone arriving from "Red list" areas, i.e. Rapid turnaround testing...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would say the numbers of travellers between the two cities /regions is so low at the moment it would not be deemed a high priority to implement the measure. (Germany placing Dublin on a high alert list)

Vienna is a different story obviously with a huge amount of travel between there and Germany

No matter where you come from when you arrive in Dublin you're asked to isolate for 14 days, even though Doctors have cut that down to 10 days if you test positive.
    Also there's no free testing at Irish airports.. There should be "Donnelly testing" available for anyone arriving from "Red list" areas, i.e. Rapid turnaround testing...

That's not true, green list countries are exempt. Also, Germany likely to be on green list from next Monday.

I'm talking about arriving in Germany from Ireland.

That's not true, green list countries are exempt. Also, Germany likely to be on green list from next Monday.

I've come back to Dublin from "Green" and non-Green countries recently and been sent SMS messages asking me to restrict movement.. Required and requested seem to be the only differences...

• Advertisement

I'm talking about arriving in Germany from Ireland.

Been there in late July, was off the plane and in the city within the hour, no restrictions for EU travelers... that still stands.

I've come back to Dublin from "Green" and non-Green countries recently and been sent SMS messages asking me to restrict movement.. Required and requested seem to be the only differences...
    you should have texted back to ask under what law or regulation you are required to restrict movement.

It seems to be no more than an informal HSE memo subsequently published on a website with no legal status in the slightest, theyve even corrected the website to say its now "advice", and not a requirement, and the difference is being trashed out in the high court this week by Ryanair and Aer Lingus - with the end effect that they could sue the government for millions for this misleading advice/ directions

if it was required, it should have been in an SI under a ministerial order, and let us have a 2500 euro fine or 6 months in jail, but they didnt, so it isnt compulsorary

you should have texted back to ask under what law or regulation you are required to restrict movement.
    if it was required, it should have been in an SI under a ministerial order, and let us have a 2500 euro fine or 6 months in jail, but they didnt, so it isnt compulsorary

May as well have texted the Moon while I was at it..

If I recall correctly that would have required a referendum/Constitutional amendment to block Citizens from leaving or coming to the state.. Plus how it would apply to people coming from NI into the republic..

May as well have texted the Moon while I was at it..

If I recall correctly that would have required a referendum/Constitutional amendment to block Citizens from leaving or coming to the state.. Plus how it would apply to people coming from NI into the republic..
    I've no idea what is or isnt possible, I just see that they have managed to have a superficially really strict system that means that peer pressure or moral judgements from family and neighbours will ensure that family from abroad cannot go home BUT its of no legal status so it allows tourists from anywhere in the world to come in with no restrictions except tell the lads in Dublin where you're staying when in holidays on the west coast.

EDIT, of course the moral pressure also works on people in Ireland who were looking to have holidays and they had their plans scuppered as many felt they couldnt travel as "they had to " restrict movements for 14 days

Its a pure botch job

I've no idea what is or isnt possible, I just see that they have managed to have a superficially really strict system that means that peer pressure or moral judgements from family and neighbours will ensure that family from abroad cannot go home BUT its of no legal status so it allows tourists from anywhere in the world to come in with no restrictions except tell the lads in Dublin where you're staying when in holidays on the west coast.
    EDIT, of course the moral pressure also works on people in Ireland who were looking to have holidays and they had their plans scuppered as many felt they couldnt travel as "they had to " restrict movements for 14 days.Its a pure botch job

Well of course, people let themselves get bullied by others from their friends to their Boss and everyone else who fancies having a pop on anonymous internet forums... only themselves to blame in that case...

When Cork and Shannon airports are planned to be closed down?
    It looks like they would not make it till middle of October.... or may be dr Glynn and his cohort from Nphet are happy to contribute their wages to support these?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

A question for those better informed than me. A hungarian friend of mine is due to travel to Ireland from Hungary on Sunday. Hungary is due to be removed from the next green list from Monday as far as I understand. If she is travelling here on Sunday is she exempt from restricting movements for 14 days?

Been there in late July, was off the plane and in the city within the hour, no restrictions for EU travelers... that still stands.

That's not the case anymore. People arriving from risk areas having to quarantine or get a test on arrival.

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

I'm planning on going to Germany but if Dublin is added to the risk area list I won't be able to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

A question for those better informed than me. A hungarian friend of mine is due to travel to Ireland from Hungary on Sunday. Hungary is due to be removed from the next green list from Monday as far as I understand. If she is travelling here on Sunday is she exempt from restricting movements for 14 days?

The Green list is a shambles and according to our day of clarity yesterday (which confused matters more) the list will be updated in the “meantime”??

Most likely it won’t be until Monday or Tuesday as I’m sure some more meetings, phone calls and emails have to take place between various important people to amend this ADVICE.

In theory if the Green list still stands in its current form at the time of entry, then no restriction required. If it is changed in the “meantime” then the advice is to restrict movements.

Most important, it is only advice and they can do as they wish, just fill out the form and enjoy seeing your friends again.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

The nice thing about the german approach is that it will take regions or cities as risk areas, if its obvious that the main danger is from those specific areas. So Dublin could be delcared as risky, the rest not.

I'm fairly sure too that unlike Ireland, they look at where you were staying so if you are from Galway you could travel out of Dublin airport and still not be considered as coming "from Dublin" !!! (they say you have to have "spent time" there, which to me means you can go straight to an airport and fly out of there)

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_09092020_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
    "please check whether you have spent time in one of these areas in the last 14 days before entering Germany. Should
    this be the case, you must expect to be subject to mandatory testing and quarantine."

Doesn't matter what it means to you. I'm pretty sure if Dublin is declared a risk area and you arrive out of Dublin you will be considered coming from a risk area by the German authorities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

gral6 wrote: »
    When Cork and Shannon airports are planned to be closed down?
    It looks like they would not make it till middle of October.... or may be dr Glynn and his cohort from Nphet are happy to contribute their wages to support these?

Are those airports even needed? Less flight volume should leave us with just Dublin Airport as a leaner more functional model for the country's aviation needs

That's not the case anymore. People arriving from risk areas having to quarantine or get a test on arrival.
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html
    I'm planning on going to Germany but if Dublin is added to the risk area list I won't be able to go.

Well, you seem to be on top of the news enough to make an informed decisions yourself.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Are those airports even needed? Less flight volume should leave us with just Dublin Airport as a leaner more functional model for the country's aviation needs

I guess you could ask the 12,000+ jobs both airports support in those regions both directly and indirectly.
    And ask yourselves, in 10 years time when all the Covid crisis has blown over, do we want to have just one region around Dublin where all the jobs and money is, and the rest of the country an economic wasteland?
    Could happen anyways with the current FFFG Government running the show...but best not to close down the airlinks just yet.

Well that definitely must have been in a mistake or they just dont read the country you write down if it was a paper form.

there is no requirement for any measures when returning from a green list country, this has been clarified many times.

folks if a fella lives in dublin and has a stay booked in another county next week, whats the position

I guess you could ask the 12,000+ jobs both airports support in those regions both directly and indirectly.
    And ask yourselves, in 10 years time when all the Covid crisis has blown over, do we want to have just one region around Dublin where all the jobs and money is, and the rest of the country an economic wasteland?
    Could happen anyways with the current FFFG Government running the show...but best not to close down the airlinks just yet.

2 airports seem excessive for the same region.

folks if a fella lives in dublin and has a stay booked in another county next week, whats the position

A fella travels at ones peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You may find the fella gets his cancellation email from his destination in a couple of days!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I'm not sure if it was here or elsewhere that I read it but someone from Dublin had a booking down in Kerry & it's since been cancelled.

• Advertisement

Sam Hain wrote: »
    2 airports seem excessive for the same region.

I think that Nhet seems to be excessive burden for this country. Sweden did not impose lockdown and they are on the green list now. Ireland did and we are on the red list. Moreover these clowns want to have second lockdown now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement