Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was here or elsewhere that I read it but someone from Dublin had a booking down in Kerry & it's since been cancelled.

Yep. Girl in work has just had her trip cancelled by the hotel in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yep. Girl in work has just had her trip cancelled by the hotel in Waterford

I’ve 4 different hotels booked in the West and south for next week, and haven’t received any cancellations.

I’d say they’re only too glad of the business.

ok, appreciate the takes, thanks all

I'll say nothing until something is said to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

folks if a fella lives in dublin and has a stay booked in another county next week, whats the position

Up to the hotel, no regulations not to travel so your well within right to go if you want to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Are those airports even needed? Less flight volume should leave us with just Dublin Airport as a leaner more functional model for the country's aviation needs
    Strange question. I presume that you live within a reasonable travel distance to that airport.
    You do realise that there is a whole other region outside of Dublin?
    And Dublin airport is an absolute disaster and tediously timely to get to for a large percentage of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

I am so fed up of this now. The government delayed and delayed the first green list while Europeans took their holidays and opened up their counties. Thousands of businesses in this country decimated and for what? We have the same or more cases than others. I cannot believe I am being dictated to by a bunch of civil servants on how I can live my life.

We are not all in this together. The civil servants creating the rules did not and will not lose one cent of their wages. Brass tacks, if they were put on the Covid payment I guarantee this pandemic would be declared over very quickly.

The deaths are tiny. It is over. Emigrate. It is not like this at all in other countries. You can do what you like apart from wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

2 airports seem excessive for the same region.

Thousands of miles of railways seemed excessive in the 50s and were scrapped. Now they're too expensive to rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

wellwhynot wrote: »
    I am so fed up of this now. The government delayed and delayed the first green list while Europeans took their holidays and opened up their counties. Thousands of businesses in this country decimated and for what? We have the same or more cases than others. I cannot believe I am being dictated to by a bunch of civil servants on how I can live my life.

We are not all in this together. The civil servants creating the rules did not and will not lose one cent of her their wages. Brass tacks, if they were put on the Covid payment I guarantee this pandemic would be declared over very quickly.

The deaths are tiny. It is over. Emigrate. It is not like this at all in other countries. You can do what you like apart from wearing a mask.

The thing is, there has been a point made about "this time it's different" in respect of the recession we are in as emigration is not a release valve but our ignorance to the economic destruction we are inflicting on ourselves, means it may actually be an option early next year when our tourism industry is decimated, for example, so younger tourism industry workers move to London which has moved forward quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

wellwhynot wrote: »

We are not all in this together. The civil servants creating the rules did not and will not lose one cent of her their wages. Brass tacks, if they were put on the Covid payment I guarantee this pandemic would be declared over very quickly.

This is the depressing bit but couldn't agree more :(

We have the same or more cases than others. I cannot believe I am being dictated to by a bunch of civil servants on how I can live my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

It is clear there was absolutely no reason to shut us down so long into summer and ruin thousands of families holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

2 airports seem excessive for the same region.

I think the two airports should remain open, it will mean faster exit for the thousands of young people who will emigrate out of this country after NPHET-FFFG and Brexit crash the economy so hard it will make Moldova's economy look like Singapore's in comparison...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Kivaro wrote: »
    Strange question. I presume that you live within a reasonable travel distance to that airport.
    You do realise that there is a whole other region outside of Dublin?
    And Dublin airport is an absolute disaster and tediously timely to get to for a large percentage of the population.

If you have to get to Dublin to catch a flight I'm sure you would find a way. No differnt from anyone travelling from say Donegal. And I'm well aware what is outside of Dublin without your patronizing direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

I travelled to Greece and Germany, one for holidays and one for visiting family. Since our government isn't able to come up with a timely and precise roadmap, I chose to follow what our European neighbours deem as safe travel destinations. The Greenlist maintanance is a joke and the staycation push is to boost economic activity not to deter people from traveling due to safety. In general I'm very frustrated with this governments response so far, there seems to be very little preparedness, action or progress it just feels like once cases went down during summer they patted themselves on the back and went "be grand". We should just follow whatever the European commission recommends for travel since it seems we aren't able to come up with a sensible solution ourselves.

Well, now you have it, all laid out clearly about the Government travel advice...
    measures introduced by the Government in response to the Covid-19 pandemic do not impose a legal restriction on travel in and out of the country.
    The measures, the High Court heard today, are merely advisory, have been reviewed regularly, and are not binding in nature.

are not mandatory but are advisory in nature.

individuals can make informed decisions for themselves

The case continues...

https://www.thejournal.ie/state-high-court-ryanair-case-5206564-Sep2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, now you have it, all laid out clearly about the Government travel advice...

The case continues...

If advisory then how can the State as an employer insist employees take unpaid leave for a period of self restriction. And how can a Minister of the Government seek resignations from members of State boards who travelled overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

The case continues...

This is interesting. The government spent vast amounts of money on an advertising campaign telling people not to travel abroad. For once in my life I am on Ryanair’s side.

If advisory then how can the State as an employer insist employees take unpaid leave for a period of self restriction. And how can a Minister of the Government seek resignations from members of State boards who travelled overseas.

It does seem like the Government said what I quoted just to avoid loosing the legal case, it may have just been advisory with no legal basis, however employers took it as law and prevented many workers from being able to go on holidays... something definitely isn't right with that...

As for members of state boards, these could be people helping to formulate the "advice" and who may also be in the public eye...so is about maintaining the NPHET-FFFG rules...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Would someone mind clarifying that this means what I think it means please? (image attached from the DFA website)

So if someone goes abroad to a country that isn't on the green list, they're advised to restrict movements upon retun for 14 days.

However, should you get the holiday blues within them 14 days & went to jet off again in the mean time, it's no problem & not going against the advice given!?

For example, one returns from Albuifera on the 10th of October & is advised to restrict movements until the 24th (2 weeks)

However, if you want to go to Tenerife in the mean time, after day 10 on the 20th we'll say, it's no problem & not going against advice given!?

Thank you in advance.

Would someone mind clarifying that this means what I think it means please? (image attached from the DFA website)
    So if someone goes abroad to a country that isn't on the green list, they're advised to restrict movements upon retun for 14 days.
    However, should you get the holiday blues within them 14 days & went to jet off again in the mean time, it's no problem & not going against the advice given!? For example, one returns from Albuifera on the 10th of October & is advised to restrict movements until the 24th (2 weeks)
    However, if you want to go to Tenerife in the mean time, after day 10 on the 20th we'll say, it's no problem & not going against advice given!?
    Thank you in advance.

Up to you really, as I quoted in the article from the Journal, you're not going to be legally prevented from travelling out of the country... So go ahead.

The case continues...

It is truly a sorry reflection of the intelligence and gullibility of people that they still swallow everything they are told to do by this government. There are so many people so far into the thick of doing what they're told, they don't even question it anymore. I laughed at stupid Americans and Little Englanders but I am shocked at how many in Ireland are no better. It isn't just limited to the obvious Gemma O'Doherty nuts, but to the apparent "majority" that go along with this government and what they tell them to do! I feel like Frank Grimes in the nuclear power plant with Ireland being the power plant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Up to you really, as I quoted in the article from the Journal, you're not going to be legally prevented from travelling out of the country... So go ahead.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I understand it wouldn't be illegal, I'm just wondering is it against government advice?

From what's said by the DFA on their website in the image I've attached in my previous post it seems that it wouldn't even be going against the advice whatever about the legal side of it.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

I understand it wouldn't be illegal, I'm just wondering is it against government advice?

From what's said by the DFA on their website in the image I've attached in my previous post it seems that it wouldn't even be going against the advice whatever about the legal side of it.

But the point is that the advice is so arbitrary and inconsistent that you shouldn't bother with it and make your own risk assessment.

Just to add, in the absence of it being a legal requirement that is why that approach should be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

But the point is that the advice is so arbitrary and inconsistent that you shouldn't bother with it and make your own risk assessment.

Just to add, in the absence of it being a legal requirement that is why that approach should be taken.

The biggest risk to travel is a destination country saying no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

It is truly a sorry reflection of the intelligence and gullibility of people that they still swallow everything they are told to do by this government. There are so many people so far into the thick of doing what they're told, they don't even question it anymore. I laughed at stupid Americans and Little Englanders but I am shocked at how many in Ireland are no better. It isn't just limited to the obvious Gemma O'Doherty nuts, but to the apparent "majority" that go along with this government and what they tell them to do! I feel like Frank Grimes in the nuclear power plant with Ireland being the power plant.

OK, i'll bite. It may not be too late yet to completely lose you down the Jim Corr well.

You do realise the Government cabinet, made up of teachers and farmers don't sit around a table and just pluck guidance and recommendations from thin air.
    They are guided by NPHET, who are actual medical experts and in turn take their lead from the WHO and EPDC.

How have you come to the conclusion that all these people, whose lives and careers are devoted to medicine and science are overreacting and are wrong? What could possibly be in it for them to enact measures to wound the economy and make citizens lives that bit more miserable?

The condescension in your post is staggering. You don't even recognise you belong to the group you're belittling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭Allinall

Allinall wrote: »
    I’ve 4 different hotels booked in the West and south for next week, and haven’t received any cancellations.

I’d say they’re only too glad of the business.

Starting to look like I’m Donald.

Getting rightly fed up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

What's the story with flying out of Dublin this weekend if Dublin is in lockdown? Is it allowed to drive to the airport from a different county or what?

atahuapla wrote: »
    OK, i'll bite. It may not be too late yet to completely lose you down the Jim Corr well. You do realise the Government cabinet, made up of teachers and farmers don't sit around a table and just pluck guidance and recommendations from thin air.
    They are guided by NPHET, who are actual medical experts and in turn take their lead from the WHO and EPDC.
    How have you come to the conclusion that all these people, whose lives and careers are devoted to medicine and science are overreacting and are wrong? What could possibly be in it for them to enact measures to wound the economy and make citizens lives that bit more miserable?
    The condescension in your post is staggering. You don't even recognise you belong to the group you're belittling.

On travel the Experts in NPHET decided not to be guided by the advice of the WHO or ECDC and told Government not to sign up for the EU guidelines.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/communication-commission-tourism-transport-2020-and-beyond_en.pdf

ECDC advice, which was relied upon as evidence found that it “does not support recommending border closures, which will cause significant secondary effects and societal and economic disruption in the EU”.

In general, evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions. Furthermore, restrictions may interrupt needed aid and technical support, may disrupt businesses, and may have negative social and economic effects on the affected countries. However, in certain circumstances, measures that restrict the movement of people may prove temporarily useful, such as in settings with few international connections and limited response capacities.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

So Ireland through the rules set out by NPHET have been outliers in Europe and by following these rules it has caused misery to the thousands of people who lost money, lost contact with family, lost jobs..
    No matter what the Government say, the NPHET 14 day quarantine was a De-facto travel ban.
    This could have all been mitigated by The NPHET months ago if they'd followed EU and WHO guidance..

Space Dog wrote: »
    What's the story with flying out of Dublin this weekend if Dublin is in lockdown? Is it allowed to drive to the airport from a different county or what?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yes.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Space Dog wrote: »
    Thanks!

Even at level 5 the Irish government have zero legal right to stop anyone leaving Ireland (just make sure the country of destination wants irish landing though)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement