Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Green list has been updated

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1306590215696388097

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8868e-view-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Green’ (Normal Precautions) List to take effect from Monday 21 September

Cyprus *
    Finland *
    Germany
    Iceland
    Latvia *
    Lithuania *
    Poland

IQO wrote: »
    Green list has been updated

https://twitter.com/DublinAirport/status/1306590215696388097

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/8868e-view-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Green’ (Normal Precautions) List to take effect from Monday 21 September

Cyprus *
    Finland *
    Germany
    Iceland
    Latvia *
    Lithuania *
    Poland

But do those countries was us? That seems to be the more relevant consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

But do those countries was us? That seems to be the more relevant consideration

Open to correction, I think the ones with the asterisk have some kind of restrictions when travelling there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

The government still making shambles of everything.

'its not been updated to say we advise against all non essential travel to any other country not on the green list'

Its been that all along, but only advice. :V

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Whats Poland like in October? I was looking at Greece up to a few weeks ago but I can't take the 2 week hit off work without pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Whats Poland like in October? I was looking at Greece up to a few weeks ago but I can't take the 2 week hit off work without pay.

Krakow is class, loads to do, nice town centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Krakow is class, loads to do, nice town centre.

Cheers, was thinking of there and maybe another city. Knowing my luck though it will be taken off the list the week after I book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Beat_Mark

Wroclaw I also recommend, herself is from there and we go a few times a year. Similar to krakow but cheaper and less tourists, its also an on old German city. Then you have Auschwitz in between them you could do on a day trip.
    Zakapone mountains to the south of krakow also is beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Sam Hain wrote: »
    If you have to get to Dublin to catch a flight I'm sure you would find a way. No differnt from anyone travelling from say Donegal. And I'm well aware what is outside of Dublin without your patronizing direction.
    Fair play to you for understanding the commute to Dublin airport from areas outside of the Dublin region .......... possibly from areas like Skibbereen or Westport. I presume when Dublin gets locked down in the coming days and we cannot travel into the county to gain access to Dublin airport, that the rest of the country will just wait until your Covid numbers becomes reasonable, and then we can use the only airport in the country again. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Kivaro wrote: »
    Fair play to you for understanding the commute to Dublin airport from areas outside of the Dublin region .......... possibly from areas like Skibbereen or Westport. I presume when Dublin gets locked down in the coming days and we cannot travel into the county to gain access to Dublin airport, that the rest of the country will just wait until your Covid numbers becomes reasonable, and then we can use the only airport in the country again. Does that make sense?

Even in the harshest lockdown period in April you could travel to and from the airport from anywhere in Ireland. I doubt there would be harsher restrictions if Dublin goes to Level 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Received an email just now from Ryanair, cancelling my flights to Nice for my sisters wedding (of 8 people :( ) to travel from the 8-11 of October,

You can sense the bitterness in their mail : ''We regret to advise you that due to governments continuing to change and amend their travel restrictions, at very short notice, we have no alternative and are forced to cancel your flight''

''We are doing everything we can to minimise these government enforced cancellations..''

This just sucks, and I thought I would vent here, as alot of people in real life, are telling me I was being irresponsible for going anyway..

When can we get back to seeing our family and friends that are not on this bloody island without feeling like evil people. Tired of it.

Rant over.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Very stupid question on my part but is NI part of our green list?
    I'm thinking of a few nights up north while child is on midterm but is there a restriction on movement between NI and ROI and a quarantine period etc?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Very stupid question on my part but is NI part of our green list?
    I'm thinking of a few nights up north while child is on midterm but is there a restriction on movement between NI and ROI and a quarantine period etc?

Northern Ireland is ok to travel to. No restrictions on return.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

noraos wrote: »
    Received an email just now from Ryanair, cancelling my flights to Nice for my sisters wedding (of 8 people :( ) to travel from the 8-11 of October,

You can sense the bitterness in their mail : ''We regret to advise you that due to governments continuing to change and amend their travel restrictions, at very short notice, we have no alternative and are forced to cancel your flight''

''We are doing everything we can to minimise these government enforced cancellations..''

This just sucks, and I thought I would vent here, as alot of people in real life, are telling me I was being irresponsible for going anyway..

When can we get back to seeing our family and friends that are not on this bloody island without feeling like evil people. Tired of it.

Rant over.

I'm so sorry to hear that and completely get your frustration. I'm also firmly on Ryanair's side on this. We have a beyond useless Government who have shown zero regard for several sectors like tourism and aviation which could have been much more freely opened during the summer in line with the rest of the EU and especially with very low Covid numbers. And I very much worry for our future connectivity.

As for people telling you that you're irresponsible, don't even give those people the time of day. They're ignorant, begrudging finger waggers.

I see that the government has stated the people from Dublin will not be allowed (“not be allowed”, not “advised against”) travel outside of Ireland from Dublin airport except for “essential” reasons. Including to green list countries

How on earth is that to be policed?!?! Both the “essential reasons” part and the “from Dublin” part. Are airlines going to check, or Garda roadblocks to the airport requiring proof of address? But last time I looked dublin airport was in county Dublin.

What a shambles

(Posted in the main COVID thread, but this is more appropriate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I see that the government has stated the people from Dublin will not be allowed (“not be allowed”, not “advised against”) travel outside of Ireland from Dublin airport except for “essential” reasons. Including to green list countries

How on earth is that to be policed?!?! Both the “essential reasons” part and the “from Dublin” part. Are airlines going to check, or Garda roadblocks to the airport requiring proof of address? But last time I looked dublin airport was in county Dublin.

What a shambles

(Posted in the main COVID thread, but this is more appropriate)

It's rubbish but it's phrased hoping people will believe it's a law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Shambles. Their lawyers are arguing the opposite in the Ryanair case. That it's all up to the individual.

So what do the gards do at the airport? Break the law and prevent people from travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Tazz T wrote: »
    Shambles. Their lawyers are arguing the opposite in the Ryanair case. That it's all up to the individual.

So what do the gards do at the airport? Break the law and prevent people from travelling.

You are 100% free to travel. It's all smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Has anyone a link to the airport/travel quote from Leo?
    Told about it but can't find it.

I'm leaving on 30th and I'll be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Tazz T wrote: »

Advised, which means it's 100% up to you. Please don't fall for this bullsh1t!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

So I travelled...to a non-green list country in the EU and have just returned. I just wanted to add some observations.
    - Dublin airport was dead on my departure day. Security in T1 took maybe 30 seconds. After security was deserted with some places were shuttered. Was sad to see.
    - Flight out was maybe 25% full so plenty of seats to choose from.
    - Like others have commented on here, social distancing seems to be non existent on the continent. No blocked covid seats on public transport and on the streets nobody makes an effort to avoid each other.
    - Most people wear face coverings on public transport but I found it was mixed in bars and restaurants.
    - Wet bars/pubs are open with no real restrictions. No contact details required, no meals, no time limits and I could sit at the bar.
    - Flight back was 75% full. I waited until a few hours before departure to check in so I could pay and grab a free 3 seater.
    - Wearing of face coverings was pretty high on both flights and I felt safe considering...even on the busier flight.

All in all it was great to get away and have a mental break from the constant media hysteria and negativity. Once I have my 2 weeks restriction of movements completed and seen my family etc, I will be looking to get away again whether my county is locked down or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Coeus wrote: »
    So I travelled...to a non-green list country in the EU and have just returned. I just wanted to add some observations.
    - Dublin airport was dead on my departure day. Security in T1 took maybe 30 seconds. After security was deserted with some places were shuttered. Was sad to see.
    - Flight out was maybe 25% full so plenty of seats to choose from.
    - Like others have commented on here, social distancing seems to be non existent on the continent. No blocked covid seats on public transport and on the streets nobody makes an effort to avoid each other.
    - Most people wear face coverings on public transport but I found it was mixed in bars and restaurants.
    - Wet bars/pubs are open with no real restrictions. No contact details required, no meals, no time limits and I could sit at the bar.
    - Flight back was 75% full. I waited until a few hours before departure to check in so I could pay and grab a free 3 seater.
    - Wearing of face coverings was pretty high on both flights and I felt safe considering...even on the busier flight.

All in all it was great to get away and have a mental break from the constant media hysteria and negativity. Once I have my 2 weeks restriction of movements completed and seen my family etc, I will be looking to get away again whether my county is locked down or not.

Thanks Coeus.

Incidentally, why did you travel to a non-green list country but are restricting your movements for 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

3xh wrote: »
    Thanks Coeus.

Incidentally, why did you travel to a non-green list country but are restricting your movements for 2 weeks?
    Mostly because it was somewhere I wanted to visit and I was fed-up waiting for the green list to be updated. Now I will preface that in saying I can work from home so the 2 weeks of avoiding social interactions/situations is not a big problem for me.

gov.ie sent me a text the morning after I arrived to advise me of the restriction of movement requirement but that's probably because I filled out the online form. Physical forms are still available before passport control and I guess texts/calls are less likely if people use that medium.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mostly because it was somewhere I wanted to visit and I was fed-up waiting for the green list to be updated. Now I will preface that in saying I can work from home so the 2 weeks of avoiding social interactions/situations is not a big problem for me.

gov.ie sent me a text the morning after I arrived to advise me of the restriction of movement requirement but that's probably because I filled out the online form. Physical forms are still available before passport control and I guess texts/calls are less likely if people use that medium.

Just curious, because I have seen this scenario mentioned in various posts across the forum.
    Do you mean that you won't need to do any supermarket shopping, for example, in the two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I’m not having a go at you but do see the hypocrisy here?

You wanted to visit this particular place which didn’t even make the government’s green list (and that list itself only means no restriction of movements are advised upon return to Ireland but you’re still advised to only go there if essential)

You got fed up waiting so went anyway against the ‘advice’

But you’ll restrict your movements for 2 weeks (albeit because it’s largely no issue for you at this time) What would you do if had to spend more time outside the home? Go outside anyway?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m of the view travel, get out of the house, etc. so I’m glad you at least flew abroad and enjoyed your time. But there’s a clear blurred understanding of all things green list/restricting movements/etc. by many in the country and the government know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

3xh wrote: »
    I’m not having a go at you but do see the hypocrisy here?

You wanted to visit this particular place which didn’t even make the government’s green list (and that list itself only means no restriction of movements are advised upon return to Ireland but you’re still advised to only go there if essential)

You got fed up waiting so went anyway against the ‘advice’

But you’ll restrict your movements for 2 weeks (albeit because it’s largely no issue for you at this time) What would you do if had to spend more time outside the home? Go outside anyway?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m of the view travel, get out of the house, etc. so I’m glad you at least flew abroad and enjoyed your time. But there’s a clear blurred understanding of all things green list/restricting movements/etc. by many in the country and the government know it.

I don't see the hypocrisy.

You can go wherever you want, but if it's not on the recommended 'green list' they ask you to restrict your movements.

I'd consider that in line with the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Looking at options for travelling to Dublin(and then on to Meath) from London in November to just be in the country for 4 days, and then travel back to London. It's me(on an Irish passport) my partner (on a UK passport) and child(on a UK passport).

If i booked return flight for 4 days later, could the airline or airport attempt to block us travelling back, because we wouldn't have self isolated for the full 14 days?

On a separate note, if we flew into Belfast and drove down to Meath and returned to Belfast to fly back to London would we be breaking any rules?

Looking for the most sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

There's no restrictions which means visitor has to stay in the country for 14 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

pipelaser wrote: »
    Looking at options for travelling to Dublin(and then on to Meath) from London in November to just be in the country for 4 days, and then travel back to London. It's me(on an Irish passport) my partner (on a UK passport) and child(on a UK passport).

If i booked return flight for 4 days later, could the airline or airport attempt to block us travelling back, because we wouldn't have self isolated for the full 14 days?

On a separate note, if we flew into Belfast and drove down to Meath and returned to Belfast to fly back to London would we be breaking any rules?

Looking for the most sensible option.

I guess you're planning to quarantine in the house you're going to in Meath for 4 days without going out? That's what the current guidance suggests one should do (without stopping in Dublin first) and it's also the reason why I've not gone back to Ireland since Christmas.

As an aside: the UK is at the beginning of a second wave and Sadiq Khan is actively discussing new restrictions for the London area. Is it really necessary to go to Ireland at the moment?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement