Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I guess you're planning to quarantine in the house you're going to in Meath for 4 days without going out? That's what the current guidance suggests one should do (without stopping in Dublin first) and it's also the reason why I've not gone back to Ireland since Christmas.

As an aside: the UK is at the beginning of a second wave and Sadiq Khan is actively discussing new restrictions for the London area. Is it really necessary to go to Ireland at the moment?

That's the idea. But it's for mid November. It's necessary insofar as it's the only opportunity I'll get in the next 6 months. Wont be going at Christmas etc.

So the travel via Dublin option seems that it will not be obstructive from an enforcement point of view when I hit Dublin.

Given possible future restrictions on the London side, I was thinking it would be smart to book Belfast, or will it be all the same as going to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

pipelaser wrote: »
    That's the idea. But it's for mid November. It's necessary insofar as it's the only opportunity I'll get in the next 6 months. Wont be going at Christmas etc.

So the travel via Dublin option seems that it will not be obstructive from an enforcement point of view when I hit Dublin.

Given possible future restrictions on the London side, I was thinking it would be smart to book Belfast, or will it be all the same as going to Dublin?

Provided you're not going to stop in Dublin it should be fine guidance wise. I anticipate the situation is going to get worse and not better by November both in the UK and in Ireland.

Flying to Belfast rather than Dublin would mean you'd avoid registering for quarantine but travelling between both to avoid the quarantine would be against the spirit of the guidance.

Edit: Belfast is also under local lockdown at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I don't see the hypocrisy.

You can go wherever you want, but if it's not on the recommended 'green list' they ask you to restrict your movements.

I'd consider that in line with the guidelines.

What I mean is, you went to a non green list country (I’ve no probs with that. More should do same) but then you say you’re going to restrict your movements.

Why not just not quarantine? As you’re disregarding one piece of advice (going to a non green list country) but following the advice about restricting your movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

3xh wrote: »
    What I mean is, you went to a non green list country (I’ve no probs with that. More should do same) but then you say you’re going to restrict your movements.

Why not just not quarantine? As you’re disregarding one piece of advice (going to a non green list country) but following the advice about restricting your movements.

The advice is that if you go to a non-green country then You should restrict your movements for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Because you’d have no friends left according to my husband! We went to a non green list country, paid up front in full and was a lot to lose. Had a nice time and the numbers per 100k were significantly lower there than here in Dublin SE. Did our quarantine very strictly, shopping delivered to the door etc. A big part is the expectations and the fear, you’d be mortified if you got the blame for spreading it after that. In my experience people are quite ok with other people travelling- not ok with not quarantining.
    My quarantine ends today- and we’re in semi lockdown. I am sickened!! Was so looking forward to doing a few things outside the house

• Advertisement

The advice is that if you go to a non-green country then You should restrict your movements for 2 weeks.

I know that. I’m blue in the face from correctly pointing out it’s advice and not mandatory through threat of fine or prison like so many think.

My point is, I found it peculiar how someone chose to ignore the ‘advice’ not to go to a non-green list country but then chose to follow the advice to restrict their movements upon return.

Beanybabog wrote: »
    In my experience people are quite ok with other people travelling- not ok with not quarantining.

Well, to be fearful of what these people think is lunacy. They can’t even correctly follow the ‘advice’ from the government that they’re insisting everyone else follow (by saying we’re ok with you flying to Malta but you better quarantine when you get back)

I know that. I’m blue in the face from correctly pointing out it’s advice and not mandatory through threat of fine or prison like so many think.

My point is, I found it peculiar how someone chose to ignore the ‘advice’ not to go to a non-green list country but then chose to follow the advice to restrict their movements upon return.

I have been away twice - once green and once non-green. In an abundance of caution and more to do with perception than science, I restricted movements both times in respect to my parents. Its a compromise even if it is illogical.

If anyone is interested I filled out the passenger locator form online and got 4 texts from them, one was interactive- ie click here to confirm you’re at the same address. No calls. I assume they went online so this could be automated and every one gets contacted , if only by text

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

I have been away twice - once green and once non-green. In an abundance of caution and more to do with perception than science, I restricted movements both times in respect to my parents. Its a compromise even if it is illogical.
    This is basically how I view the restriction of movement requirement. It is caution for others rather than for me. Given my circumstances it is not a big price to pay for travelling abroad at the moment.
    If anyone is interested I filled out the passenger locator form online and got 4 texts from them, one was interactive- ie click here to confirm you’re at the same address. No calls. I assume they went online so this could be automated and every one gets contacted , if only by text
    Yes, I did the same and I got one of those address confirmation texts this morning, which I confirmed. What I found strange is I was directed to the Current Health Advice In Ireland page rather than a Restrictions of Movement (or continue to) page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

Because you’d have no friends left according to my husband! We went to a non green list country, paid up front in full and was a lot to lose. Had a nice time and the numbers per 100k were significantly lower there than here in Dublin SE. Did our quarantine very strictly, shopping delivered to the door etc. A big part is the expectations and the fear, you’d be mortified if you got the blame for spreading it after that. In my experience people are quite ok with other people travelling- not ok with not quarantining.
    My quarantine ends today- and we’re in semi lockdown. I am sickened!! Was so looking forward to doing a few things outside the house

1. it's not "quarantine." It's "restrict movements." So I don't understand why you felt the need to have your shopping delivered when you could perfectly legitimately have gone out and done it yourself.

2. Why the obsession with what other people think? Surely, this is all about precaution, your own and precaution to others, not what the neigbours or judgmental friends might think.

acequion wrote: »

1. it's not "quarantine." It's "restrict movements." So I don't understand why you felt the need to have your shopping delivered when you could perfectly legitimately have gone out and done it yourself.

2. Why the obsession with what other people think? Surely, this is all about precaution, your own and precaution to others, not what the neigbours or judgmental friends might think.

1. Citizens information refers to restricted movements like that - “sometimes this is referred to as quarantining”. Isolating is different.
    The advice asks you not to shop.

2. People care a lot. They feel you are putting them at risk or engaging in risky behaviour. It’s about respect for other people too. Much of the advice of government has relied on social pressure , whether you agree with it or not it works.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

1. Citizens information refers to restricted movements like that - “sometimes this is referred to as quarantining”. Isolating is different.
    The advice asks you not to shop.

2. People care a lot. They feel you are putting them at risk or engaging in risky behaviour. It’s about respect for other people too. Much of the advice of government has relied on social pressure , whether you agree with it or not it works.

You mean the me social pressure that encourages people to snitch on neighbours? Yes most unfortunately it does work. But it's abhorrent. I repeat what I said already. This is not about what the neighbours think and living in some sort of goldfish bowl. It's about personal responsibility and trying to get through a pandemic with mental and physical health in tact. Of course we must think of others and be responsible to others but this "we're in this together" doesn't have to mean turn on each other and judge each other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I had to return to Ireland from Spain a few weeks ago for a family matter. If you’re not au fait with everything going on in Ireland there is no clear messaging to say you need to restrict your movement.

The only locator form doesn’t reference it

I got a text on day to “asking” me to restrict my movements.

I missed a call and when I phoned back they were closed. I called the next way but after 30 minutes on hold I hung up. No further attempts to contact me were made. On day 14 I got a “thanks for your support from gov.ie”

Shambles.

As for the suggestion that people who return from travel should not visit shops, LOL

I came from an area in Spain with very little coronavirus. (We actually had a run of 4 days with zero cases last weekend). I’m more concerned with catching it in Ireland.

No one uses hand sanitiser going in to shops in Dublin. (In Spain shops enforce it)
    Masks aren’t enforced
    Social distancing is questionable

The government roadmap, which was to bring clarity, has done the opposite. Dublin is in level 3 with a dash of level 4 and level 5

As soon as family matters here are cleared up I’m going back to Spain faster than you can say NPHET

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Out of curiosity, what is actually said on this call if they do happen to ring you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DVDM93 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is actually said on this call if they do happen to ring you?

Oh it’s just a courtesy call really. They just confirm the address you provided and direct you to some government website for current guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Anyone flying out this in the next few days? If so, could you report back on how it's being monitored at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Issybelle

Was booked to go to Germany but decided against it. I think Germany is safe enough, but I have to get from Kerry to Dublin. Then i would need to take a bus to the airport, stay in a hotel and do the same on the way back.

I am young and healthy and have no underlying conditions but what if I inadvertently bring it back to Kerry?

No judgment here though. Everyone’s situation is different.

Issybelle wrote: »
    Was booked to go to Germany but decided against it. I think Germany is safe enough, but I have to get from Kerry to Dublin. Then i would need to take a bus to the airport, stay in a hotel and do the same on the way back.

I am young and healthy and have no underlying conditions but what if I inadvertently bring it back to Kerry?

No judgment here though. Everyone’s situation is different.

So, go to Tullamore and not catch it? Oh wait.

Each to their own, but you’ll regret not going.

The government’s campaign is working beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Tazz T wrote: »
    Anyone flying out this in the next few days? If so, could you report back on how it's being monitored at the airport?

It's not. Mate left this afternoon and checked in through security in 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Issybelle wrote: »

I could be wrong here, but I believe Covid has been in Kerry for the past 5 or 6 months now?

It's not. Mate left this afternoon and checked in through security in 20 minutes.

It look 20 mins to get through the security check? I was through in 2mins recently!

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It look 20 mins to get through the security check? I was through in 2mins recently!

Dropping bags and then security I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

I could be wrong here, but I believe Covid has been in Kerry for the past 5 or 6 months now?

The obvious point is that if he is in Kerry he won't be getting a bus for a long distance, or a plane, or staying in a hotel or wandering about as much as he would if he goes abroad. It's not just about case numbers, but about what you do/don't do on holidays as opposed to being at home. I am traveling next week so I am not anti-travel, but let's be honest in our arguments; otherwise you look wilfully ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

Dropping bags and then security I think.

So nobody is checking whether you're from Dublin or not?

The obvious point is that if he is in Kerry he won't be getting a bus for a long distance, or a plane, or staying in a hotel or wandering about as much as he would if he goes abroad. It's not just about case numbers, but about what you do/don't do on holidays as opposed to being at home. I am traveling next week so I am not anti-travel, but let's be honest in our arguments; otherwise you look wilfully ignorant.

Risk is everywhere, you have to be smart/lucky/experienced enough to avoid the worst things in life happening to you...
    If you're risk averse, stay at home, stick to your routine and avoid people..
    (i'm speaking to everyone not you personally)

reax wrote: »

This isn't China/Australia...

This isn't China/Australia...

Well some people seem to want it to be China.

• Advertisement

reax wrote: »

No of course not!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement