Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 reax

No of course not!

Somebody sent me on the attached which appears to suggest they would be monitoring it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

reax wrote: »
    Somebody sent me on the attached which appears to suggest they would be monitoring it

DAA called out Ryan after that statement as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

And rightfully so.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

‘’Eamon Ryan later said that the regulations would be enforced by the Gardaí and the airport authorities. ‘They will be using their discretion’ ‘’

Typical double speak from this charlatan and government.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Do you have the dismissal by the DAA of Ryan’s comments by any chance? Or was it a radio piece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

3xh wrote: »
    Do you have the dismissal by the DAA of Ryan’s comments by any chance? Or was it a radio piece?[/QUOTE

It was on Twitter I think. Basically saying the DAA dont have access to passengers personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Government spokesperson in the Indo:

The spokesperson said: "In respect of the airport, there are no specific Garda operations being implemented for travel out of the jurisdiction.'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-gardai-to-target-popular-getaway-spots-to-discourage-mass-exodus-from-dublin-39543937.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Tazz T wrote: »
    Government spokesperson in the Indo:

The spokesperson said: "In respect of the airport, there are no specific Garda operations being implemented for travel out of the jurisdiction.'

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-gardai-to-target-popular-getaway-spots-to-discourage-mass-exodus-from-dublin-39543937.html

I think this whole no-international travel for people in Dublin is one of the most illogical decisions made by the government. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

not a big fan of Ryanair, but I will give them that this is very funny.

And I have never heard the pin the donkey on the tail thing. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

MOL and Ryanair are such ****s imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So now that the great wise and masterful media have told us that even if there is a vaccine at the end of the year , it will take years and years and years to distribute across the globe.

Whats the future of travel ? will countries still have quarantine next summer and beyond ?
    in effect killing the industry completely ? ..

So now that the great wise and masterful media have told us that even if there is a vaccine at the end of the year , it will take years and years and years to distribute across the globe.

Whats the future of travel ? will countries still have quarantine next summer and beyond ?

I reckon countries with heavy tourism industry will probably go for strict lockdowns in winter/spring to keep the numbers down and hope to reopen for tourists next summer.
    Too early to know though, situation changes on a weekly basis.

hmm I can't see Spain going for another hard lockdown, their economy won't survive it ..

edit then again , they do really rely on tourists

dunno, the uncertainty of all this is the worst thing,.,

So now that the great wise and masterful media have told us that even if there is a vaccine at the end of the year , it will take years and years and years to distribute across the globe.............

I don't think many needed the media to point that out. We'll have to potter on as we are for years hoping that social distancing, masks etc keep hospitals operational and not totally overloaded.

A significant proportion of people won't find foreign travel appealing. Those who don't follow the guidelines will no doubt flock to Spain if they can at all.

Citybreaks etc are a thing of the past until Covid is no longer an issue IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Cheap, fast and widely available testing is the only real hope for a return to a degree of normality in intra-European travel over the next 12 months.

We will all become accustomed to checking Covid trends for our preferred destinations and taking rational decisions based on the relative risks of staying home vs traveling. We know a lot more now than we did 4 months ago... many of us have traveled safely to regions that have similar (or even higher) rates of infections as Ireland. Many of us would've already been willing to take tests to prove negativity and skip the "restriction of movement" policy.

Attempts at moral suasion of citizens to "stay at home, do your bit", "respect the sacrifice of frontline workers" "dont import the virus; we're doing so well here" and other nonsensical statements will be less and less effective as time goes on and people start looking at fact-based evidence from our European neighbors.

Here's to hoping at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

going to be interesting, spain seem to want to head toward testing on entry,

while in theory I think that might be ok, at present I've to many questions

lets suppose a family of 4 arrive, and a teen tests +, so do the whole family get turned around and sent home?

if so, who pays? do we get sent to quarantine hotel, for how long? what if a false positive? quarantine till restested
    what about my original plans? do I get a refund? let say I'm booked into 5star all inclusive costing thousands
    and I lose the lot, people will get very cautious about booking with too many variables and not risk it,

leave health risk aside, I'm just talking money here,

reverse the process and you one of your party gets a false positive before boarding, now what happens,

you go on next flight if you prove negative? would O'Leary allow you on next flight free if you missed 1st
    flight? highly unlikely, now what happens the rest of your holiday, insurance wont cover you at the minute,
    O'Leary most likely not, the hotel maybe, all becomes too risky financially,

they all need to work together to come up with a plan as to what will happen, IMO otherwise people wont risk the cash

it'll be a mess, look how many walked away and lost money on bookings this year as the governement didnt step in and offer to help either consumers or operators....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It took 5 years to eradicate smallpox once a vaccine was rolled out in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Some great deals on Ryanair.

€110 for a family of 4 to do a weekend in Germany in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

What's the situation with travel outside Dublin ?

Can I go to a hotel in Belfast for the weekend ? They hardly checking on the trans link are they?

• Advertisement

Can I go to a hotel in Belfast for the weekend ? They hardly checking on the trans link are they?

Dublin folk are asked not to leave Dublin.
    Folk from other counties can pass through Dublin but are asked not to stop in Dublin.

Augeo wrote: »
    I don't think many needed the media to point that out. We'll have to potter on as we are for years hoping that social distancing, masks etc keep hospitals operational and not totally overloaded.

A significant proportion of people won't find foreign travel appealing. Those who don't follow the guidelines will no doubt flock to Spain if they can at all.

So we can kiss foreign holidays goodbye until 2023/24 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

You can go where ever you want. It's a recommendation not to leave Dublin, it's not a restriction or legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Some great deals on Ryanair.

€110 for a family of 4 to do a weekend in Germany in November.

Be careful with them though. I have flights booked to Edinburgh in December that tonight have come up as mysteriously 'Sold Out' - despite being almost empty yesterday.

Ironically, I booked them with the dregs of credits I had to use before the end of the year and now they'll become cash again. So it's not all bad :)

So we can kiss foreign holidays goodbye until 2023/24 ?

If that’s what some people are thinking, it’s fine with me. When I travel it will be quieter and generally more enjoyable if the fearful among us are all staying at home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

3xh wrote: »
    ‘’Eamon Ryan later said that the regulations would be enforced by the Gardaí and the airport authorities. ‘They will be using their discretion’ ‘’

Typical double speak from this charlatan and government.

So a senior member of government is publicly claiming that AGS will be enforcing something that isn't law?

The absolute fcking state of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So a senior member of government is publicly claiming that AGS will be enforcing something that isn't law?

The absolute fcking state of this country.

While counsel for the State is arguing otherwise in the HC.

Augeo wrote: »

Preprosperous hyperbole

What's the story with travelling to the UK at the moment? So hard to keep up with the ever changing rules. Let's say I want to pop over to Manchester for a week. Do I need to quarantine etc

• Advertisement

What's the story with travelling to the UK at the moment? So hard to keep up with the ever changing rules. Let's say I want to pop over to Manchester for a week. Do I need to quarantine etc

Not there no. Here they ask you to in your return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement