Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What's the story with travelling to the UK at the moment? So hard to keep up with the ever changing rules. Let's say I want to pop over to Manchester for a week. Do I need to quarantine etc

Yes you do for you but it could change to having the option to test instead once the EU traffic light system is in place

Also the U.K. is about to go in to lockdown so I’d probably pass on that trip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

What's the situation with travel outside Dublin ?

Can I go to a hotel in Belfast for the weekend ? They hardly checking on the trans link are they?

No. It's a recommendation that you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

If that’s what some people are thinking, it’s fine with me. When I travel it will be quieter and generally more enjoyable if the fearful among us are all staying at home

I will too if I can, I just worry a lot of countries will keep the 10/14 day quarantine rule on entering ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

had a trip from UK to Ireland recently with Ryanair (Gatwick)

didn't really see any difference when boarding in the UK except, masks, partial social distancing, and clumsy passport and boarding card checks (like when you see someone you know now, and don't know whether to hug them or not)

Had the electronic locator form filled out, so it was a simple passport and form check at customs

Had a work and personal phone (personal phone registered on the tracker form), both got blanket texts from GOV_IE in regards to Covid, current guidelines and info links etc... then had a call from track and trace to confirm details

I couldn't believe how more locked down Ireland is than in the UK.

I was impressed with the setup in Dublin airport arriving, noticed they have a lot more electric dispensers everywhere compared to Gatwick.

Departing Dublin, was a bit of a disaster at the Ryanair bag drop and getting through security in T1...little or no social distancing, not many alcohol dispensers, people blatently not following mask guidelines and not being corrected ...

I'm not a fan of the masks myself, but needs must at the moment, and most weren't even following basic hygiene... some guy wearing a mask round his neck coughing numerous times without covering his mouth.... some guy pulling down his mask to sneeze and not covering his nose/mouth...

then back into Gatwick where as with the departure, I noticed the huge difference between there and Dublin of the amount of hand sanitisers etc... (could be that internal and flights from Irelan are being channeled to different terminal areas with different levels of sanitation)

Thoughts on the whole trip:
    -UK are definitely more lax/don't care compared to Ireland
    -Or possibly Ireland are in overkill (I haven't decided myself yet which)
    -Info from the Gov and track and trace seems to work well
    -People think masks mean no social distancing required
    -The food and drink rule mean people just eat and drink everywhere with their mask round their neck
    -unless people get basic hygiene sorted, masks do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

I will too if I can, I just worry a lot of countries will keep the 10/14 day quarantine rule on entering ..

would a normal tourist destination (ie beach location) not really want to do this though, if it applies its back to same thing people wont risk going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The future is rapid testing on arrival, 1-2 hour turn around.

A small percentage of carriers may be missed but the vast majority will be caught and it will enable normal functioning travel routes to begin again by next Spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

So we can kiss foreign holidays goodbye until 2023/24 ?

Think of the money you’ll save and the savage holiday you’ll have in 2024 as a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Some countries are already doing that, with a 15 minute result time. It’s definitely the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A small percentage of carriers may be missed but the vast majority will be caught and it will enable normal functioning travel routes to begin again by next Spring.
    +1

Just a warning, some of the experts in Germany are pushing for a 5 day quarantine and then a quick test for travel from risk areas, and knowing the way the irish experts work, they'd likely take that and implement it on the green list instead, and leave a 14 day quarantine for the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Some countries are already doing that, with a 15 minute result time. It’s definitely the future.

I understand that THY are doing this in Istanbul, show up 3 hours before a flight, 30 minute test and proceed to check in if you get a negative result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s well and good but what happens in the event that for instance I’m ok but unfortunately your partner or kids aren’t? Of course your first priority is their well being but what happens? If you’ve no travel insurance you’re in big trouble and even with it the logistics of everything would be a nightmare. Someone else a few posts back brought up the same set of scenarios in a lot more detail but no one has ever made any reference to those points. It’s like everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room.
    Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait to start travelling again but I’m just thinking of the practicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭1123heavy

johnire wrote: »
    That’s well and good but what happens in the event that for instance I’m ok but unfortunately your partner or kids aren’t? Of course your first priority is their well being but what happens? If you’ve no travel insurance you’re in big trouble and even with it the logistics of everything would be a nightmare. Someone else a few posts back brought up the same set of scenarios in a lot more detail but no one has ever made any reference to those points. It’s like everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room.
    Don’t get me wrong I can’t wait to start travelling again but I’m just thinking of the practicalities.

In your given example i imagine the wife and kids go into the nearest quarantine facility and you book into the nearest hotel.

The main thing is for airports to pick this up as a concept first, the how and the where would be the next stages.

Have Germany imposed any further restrictions on Dublin or likely to before the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That's an amazing turnaround for a test for Joe Public

Any idea what countries are doing them?

And how reliable an expensive are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Onboard a lovely B777 for a 75 minute flight, things are improving as they have full catering again, cabin crew in gowns and masks but I haven’t seen any wearing goggles.

Spent literally 4 minutes in the terminal building which was very quiet. Of the 3500 female flight attendants who live beside me, the present number in isolation is 2.

Have Germany imposed any further restrictions on Dublin or likely to before the weekend?
    the last update on risk areas was 7 days ago so maybe therell be an update today.

I'D now be looking the other way, who will remain on the green list.
    Germany, Norway, Lithuania and Bulgaria are marginally over the limit of 25 cases per fortnight so could see the chop from the irish list tomorrow, BUT that would only be applicable from Monday if they keep to the same rules as they announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

the last update on risk areas was 7 days ago so maybe therell be an update today.

I'D now be looking the other way, who will remain on the green list.
    Germany, Norway, Lithuania and Bulgaria are marginally over the limit of 25 cases per fortnight so could see the chop from the irish list tomorrow, BUT that would only be applicable from Monday if they keep to the same rules as they announced.

Bulgaria aren't currently on our green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1900 CEST today there will be an update and I would bet on Dublin being banned from that point forward

That said the Germans are very practical and proof of a negative test in the previous 48 hours or take test at airport and quarantine till result. Test is certainly free for German residents unclear if its free to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

1900 CEST today there will be an update and I would bet on Dublin being banned from that point forward

That said the Germans are very practical and proof of a negative test in the previous 48 hours or take test at airport and quarantine till result. Test is certainly free for German residents unclear if its free to all.

I understood Germany was discontinuing the tests.

Hopefully Dublin is not put on their red list but I fear you are correct. Will be ridiculous that we will put a country on a red list which will have less than 40% of the active cases we have.

Berlin, Köln, Nürnberg Hbf have open test centres when I past through this week

Dusseldorf, Munich and both Berlin airports have on site test facilities in place. Munich has one in each terminal.

There was a change in policy on Sept 15 but on the ground there doesn't appear to be any change, Germany is a federal republic so the local government can do what it wants provided its same/better than Berlin's requirements

The Germans are prepared and practical, if you come from a 'red' country you can get a test and avoid being trapped for 14 days

• Advertisement

Dublin will be added to the German red list tonight

The whole of the Czech Republic is also being added. Vienna was added last week

Irish Times is carrying the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

Dublin - Rome

I know Italy is not on the Green list at the moment, but if I had a couple of days booked for Rome in mid october, can I still go? The trip would come under the Non essential category. I mean if I turn up at the airport with a booked flight, can they turn me away and tell me I cant go?

There will be a few people with flights to Germany this weekend that won't be happy!

Once the Italians are happy to admit you without a recent test or entering quarantine off you go

The government could enact a law to stop you but that’s unlikely
    Still have to do 14 days coming back, but we could lockdown further and require a test before travel

Too early to say

santana75 wrote: »
    Dublin - Rome

I know Italy is not on the Green list at the moment, but if I had a couple of days booked for Rome in mid october, can I still go? The trip would come under the Non essential category. I mean if I turn up at the airport with a booked flight, can they turn me away and tell me I cant go?
    The travel advice is simply that. It’s not compulsory and neither is the “quarantine” on return .

Now..... from what’s seemingly happened in Donegal where a shop owner allegedly went on holiday and came back to work at the coal face with the public without knowing they were positive, and landed half the county on red alert, exercising a bit of caution after a holiday (home or abroad) where you are meeting more strangers than normal, is to be advised regardless of what is or isn’t compulsory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

The Germans are prepared and practical, if you come from a 'red' country you can get a test and avoid being trapped for 14 days

What happens in the unlikely event that you test positive? Are hotels going to let people stay there knowing they have the virus?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

VG31 wrote: »
    What happens in the unlikely event that you test positive? Are hotels going to let people stay there knowing they have the virus?

Depending on the country you quarantine in your hotel or a state designated facility. Be warned some countries have hefty fines and penalities if you break quarantine if positive. In Spain we have seen police get in the sea to pull people out who broke quarantine after testing positive.

Ireland of course does no such thing

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

faceman wrote: »
    Depending on the country you quarantine in your hotel or a state designated facility. Be warned some countries have hefty fines and penalities if you break quarantine if positive. In Spain we have seen police get in the sea to pull people out who broke quarantine after testing positive.

Ireland of course does no such thing

It's people like this that ruin travel for the rest of us. Should be tested before we leave our home country.. to stop the spread.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

VG31 wrote: »
    you wont have the result straight away so youd already be checked into a hotel when you get the bad news.

As for quarantine, you WILL do it, and you will be contacted. Theres local health boards across germany (365 of them) responsible for keeping their locality healthy and disease free (from inspecting swimming pools to public toilets and disease control) so you'll be registered with them and they'll make sure you stay put

Like in spain, if they find you arent doing what youre told, the police will come and put you in a hotel and stand outside it on guard if necessary. In Munich theres been over 20 people who have been lifted so far for refusing to stay in quarantine, and they have an arrangement with a former hotel in east munich for this. Its not clear who picks up the tab, including 24 hour police guard, but I wouldnt want to be in a position to find out!
    Heres a news report, for those who were telling me last month that it was BS that countries abroad are actually following up on people breaking the rules
    https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/zwangs-quarantaene-wegen-corona-verstoessen-in-muenchen,S9by5S7
    (I could also mention a bus load of people arriving over the border from Salzburg who had 8 grand of fines slapped on them for not wearing masks, or the close on million euro in covid related fines just in Munich , but thatd be off topic )

Back on topic, the chances of having Covid in the first place are slim so in that situation I'd pile on, and if you are positive, sure isnt it better you know and do quarantine regardless of its location, rather than spread it to family friends and work colleagues which would be the case if you cancelled the spin.

• Advertisement

And it’s official as of 1930 CEST Dublin is now red flagged as a risk location by Germany

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

Long list of other risk locations added

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement