Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

is the test free? going to Germany next month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

And it’s official as of 1930 CEST Dublin is now red flagged as a risk location by Germany

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

Long list of other risk locations added

So is it if live in Dublin, or travel from Dublin you are a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

So is it if live in Dublin, or travel from Dublin you are a risk?

If your flight arrives from DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Does this sound promising or is it simply too good to be true?

Sniffer dogs trained to identify air passengers infected with coronavirus at one airport -- https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/23/dogs-have-started-work-at-helsinki-airport-to-sniff-out-coronavirus-13311930/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    Does this sound promising or is it simply too good to be true?

Sniffer dogs trained to identify air passengers infected with coronavirus at one airport -- https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/23/dogs-have-started-work-at-helsinki-airport-to-sniff-out-coronavirus-13311930/

They're running a 4-month pilot which started this week, with four dogs at the Helsinki airport. The way it works is that the tests are voluntary. If a passenger takes the test, they'll be directed to a small cubicle, and then they'll do "skin swab" (the person being tested does this themselves) sample, which is then placed in a cup - then the dog sniffs that and indicates if it can smell the virus. The test is supposed to take a minute and they claim it's more reliable than PCR tests, because the dog can smell the virus from a smaller sample.

---

News story on the airport website:
    https://www.finavia.fi/en/newsroom/2020/covid-19-dogs-arrive-airport-able-identify-virus-earlier-laboratory-tests

---

It sounds amazing, but I guess we'll see how it actually works pretty soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Dublin and Cork airports look at setting up pre-flight Covid testing centres
    Pre-departure testing could be available at both airports from next month
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-and-cork-airports-look-at-setting-up-pre-flight-covid-testing-centres-1.4362789

Passengers departing from the Republic to other EU countries could be obliged to have a confirmed negative Covid test result before travelling. Similarly, those arriving in the State from other parts of the EU could require a confirmed negative test to fly here.

Those intending to travel from the Republic could go to the facilities in Cork or Dublin airports some days before departing to get tested. They could then present confirmation of their negative test to their airline and to the immigration services at their destination.

This is not how other countries are doing it... travel to the aiport "some days before departing" and what happens in the mean time? you can attend a few house parties, work in a slaughter house for a day or two and then board the flight because you have a negative test from "some days" before... maybe I'm missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    Dublin and Cork airports look at setting up pre-flight Covid testing centres
    Pre-departure testing could be available at both airports from next month
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/dublin-and-cork-airports-look-at-setting-up-pre-flight-covid-testing-centres-1.4362789

This is not how other countries are doing it... travel to the aiport "some days before departing" and what happens in the mean time? you can attend a few house parties, work in a slaughter house for a day or two and then board the flight because you have a negative test from "some days" before... maybe I'm missing something

I reckon the logic behind it is that some countries require you to have a negative test in the last 2-3 days before you arrive at your destination, and airline personnel are authorised to deny boarding otherwise.. At the moment there have been some reports (anecdotal in many cases) where through the normal channels this could take more than 3 days end-to-end.

The timing of this decision though is a bit weird: if Ireland plans to follow the EU traffic light system, do we really need such facilities? Unless they know that this is part of the system or that some countries might not opt for it.

On your last comment: if a person plans to go to a house party, where/when they will do the test won't matter., they would still go. Unfortunately we have to count on basic common sense, which isn't always a given. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I reckon the logic behind it is that some countries require you to have a negative test in the last 2-3 days before you arrive at your destination, and airline personnel are authorised to deny boarding otherwise.. At the moment there have been some reports (anecdotal in many cases) where through the normal channels this could take more than 3 days end-to-end.

The timing of this decision though is a bit weird: if Ireland plans to follow the EU traffic light system, do we really need such facilities? Unless they know that this is part of the system or that some countries might not opt for it.

On your last comment: if a person plans to go to a house party, where/when they will do the test won't matter., they would still go. Unfortunately we have to count on basic common sense, which isn't always a given. . .

it was the "some" days qualification that left me a bit bewildered

I could see that approach reasonable in May/June but now, end of Sept 2020, we need much faster turnaround than that for facilities that are being implemented at the moment.

Rome airport has just opened a facility that has a 30min turnaround time for testing on departure. That is an improvement over the 24-48hr it had before.

If we're aiming to open up intra-europe travel in mid-october 2-3 days turnaround aint gonna cut it. i understand we're often relying on people's common sense but even leaving a side my extreme examples (house parties and slaughter houses) 2-3 days is a long time and many things can happen.

might be worth ringing up our friends in Italy and asking them how they managed to get from 48hrs to 30min. i'm sure they'd be willing to share

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    it was the "some" days qualification that left me a bit bewildered

I could see that approach reasonable in May/June but now, end of Sept 2020, we need much faster turnaround than that for facilities that are being implemented at the moment.

Rome airport has just opened a facility that has a 30min turnaround time for testing on departure. That is an improvement over the 24-48hr it had before.

If we're aiming to open up intra-europe travel in mid-october 2-3 days turnaround aint gonna cut it. i understand we're often relying on people's common sense but even leaving a side my extreme examples (house parties and slaughter houses) 2-3 days is a long time and many things can happen.

might be worth ringing up our friends in Italy and asking them how they managed to get from 48hrs to 30min. i'm sure they'd be willing to share

Yes, I agree with you.
    I guess the wording of the article and what Leo said is the usual vague narrative: they might be able to have a quick turnaround (depending on demand of course), but they won't commit to what that might be, so they just go with a very generic initial plan.
    It's better than nothing I guess and hopefully won't be a waste of time and money, but as you said this should have been thought earlier in the process, as part of the initial, ill-thought-out, Green list and recommendations on not travelling abroad. Hey, better late than never, right? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Hey, better late than never, right? :p

They only had a few months :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭noraos

Can anyone shed any light on COVID travel clearance certification:

I was speaking to my teenage son they other day, and he asked, if showing symptoms for COVID, then they are testing for free. He noted that how is the doctor to know if one can taste or not, and that could be suspected symptom. He questioned could anyone go to the doctor for free and get the all clear and then go on holidays.

Not sure if I am rearing an evil genius! However, I can see that an actual covid travel certification is 180 euros. And 160 without certification.

https://www.tmb.ie/services/covid-19-travel-clearance-certificate

That is a major expense, to add to going on holidays,

Also according to citizen information page, even if you receive a negative cert, you are recommended to self isolate for 14 days

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/covid19_isolation_and_restricting.html

This is strongly deterring people to travel. and really not helping the sector.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."-Oscar Wilde

noraos wrote: »

I was speaking to my teenage son they other day, and he asked, if showing symptoms for COVID, then they are testing for free. He noted that how is the doctor to know if one can taste or not, and that could be suspected symptom. He questioned could anyone go to the doctor for free and get the all clear and then go on holidays.

Not sure if I am rearing an evil genius! However, I can see that an actual covid travel certification is 180 euros. And 160 without certification.

Also according to citizen information page, even if you receive a negative cert, you are recommended to self isolate for 14 days

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/covid19/covid19_isolation_and_restricting.html

I think there are countries that require this negative testing before you get there and it should be in the last 72 hours before you arrive there.
    I think these clinics found a gap in the market (the fact that through the normal channels GP/HSE could take longer than 72 hours) and offer a service for a price. Definitely an additional expense but under the circumstances you might have no option - if you have to do a test before you travel this is one of the 2 available options.

I agree on your comment of loss of taste: up to the individuals to report it, doctors can ask but would be non the wiser if an individual lies about it.

On your last comment: if I read the link correctly, you need to self isolate if you have tested positive or have symptoms. Else is restricted movements. Having a negative test done before you travelled isn't relevant when you're back, you could have caught the virus while on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Negative test from GP referral will not work. You have to provide a pcr certificate with your passport number on and from a state recognised laboratory. This is only available from the private companies such as TMB. I am waiting for Greece to request a negative covid before I travel next Friday.
    If I do get to go I will have restricted movements for 14 days on return, not self isolation. And the private clinics will not do a covid test on anyone returning from a non - greenlist country.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Shovel70 wrote: »
    Negative test from GP referral will not work. You have to provide a pcr certificate with your passport number on and from a state recognised laboratory. This is only available from the private companies such as TMB. I am waiting for Greece to request a negative covid before I travel next Friday.

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

Looks like there was an update in the Greek green list to add Czech Republic. But I think you are right there will probably be a bigger update next Tuesday-Wednesday.

Looks like there was an update in the Greek green list to add Czech Republic. But I think you are right there will probably be a bigger update next Tuesday-Wednesday.

Czechia have crazy 14 day rate of 229 today so I dont know how they stayed off the Greek list of countries that required a negative test. They have given Czech travellers 4 days notice so I might perhaps be lucky if they wait until next Tues or Wed to update again as I travel on Friday.

When Hungary was taken off their 14 day rate was in the 80"s...today UK 81 and Ireland 71.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

By which time I will be on a Greek beach :)
    (hopefully!)

By which time I will be on a Greek beach :)
    (hopefully!)

I will raise a raki to you on Friday next week if I get there!

Czechia have crazy 14 day rate of 229 today so I dont know how they stayed off the Greek list of countries that required a negative test. They have given Czech travellers 4 days notice so I might perhaps be lucky if they wait until next Tues or Wed to update again as I travel on Friday.

When Hungary was taken off their 14 day rate was in the 80"s...today UK 81 and Ireland 71.

Yeah, it will be interesting.
    France and Netherlands also in very high 14 day rates, and still in the Greek green list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I will raise a raki to you on Friday next week if I get there!

I'm supposed to be flying to Crete (Greece) myself on the 7th of October, here's hoping!

As I have just said on greenlist thread, this situation with removing countries with a lot less covid numbers than us is bloody ridiculous...which makes me more determined to travel to Crete if they are happy to have me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Belgium's government announced earlier this week that, from Friday, it would drop its outright ban on travel to high-risk areas for catching coronavirus. It will instead "strongly discourage" travel to such places. — Euronews

They are also reducing local restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

So am I right I’m thinking that to travel to most green list countries ( I was looking at Cyprus as it’s green list at the moment) that:

You will have to get a test 72 hours before you go costing up to 200 euro?

And I’m Assuming it’s going to be the same even after the EU make their list.

That’s a deal breaker for me even tho I know RyanAir are doing free flight change up to March.

Does anyone know if that you can change up to flight time (doubtful) or 1:2:or 3 days before flight?

Am determined to get away somewhere but within rules and not spending 200 on a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

FLOOPER wrote: »
    So am I right I’m thinking that to travel to most green list countries ( I was looking at Cyprus as it’s green list at the moment) that:

You will have to get a test 72 hours before you go costing up to 200 euro?

And I’m Assuming it’s going to be the same even after the EU make their list.

That’s a deal breaker for me even tho I know RyanAir are doing free flight change up to March.

Does anyone know if that you can change up to flight time (doubtful) or 1:2:or 3 days before flight?

Am determined to get away somewhere but within rules and not spending 200 on a test.

These are the terms from the Ryanair app.
    It seems to be only changes before 7 days that benefit from no change fees out which is not great. A positive is that they now allow change of destination which I don’t believe was always the case.

These Flight Change Terms & Conditions are issued by the Ryanair Group, Ryanair Dublin Office, Airside Business Park, Swords, Ireland (hereinafter “Ryanair”).
    Any flight booked as of 10 June 2020 for a Ryanair Group flight departing in July, August, September, October and November 2020 may be changed to another Ryanair Group flight departing before 21 March 2021 without any flight change fees.
    Passengers must pay any difference between the original fare paid and the fare available when they make the change (If the fare of the new flight is lower, Ryanair will not refund the difference.)
    The free flight change is not available on changes made within 7 days of the departure date of the original flight.
    Free flight changes can be made in respect of the route, date and time of the original flight.
    Only one free change is permitted per booking sector. Further changes can be made but will be subject to change flight fees. If passengers have already taken the booked outbound flight, they may still change their return flight.
    If you do not want to make the change for all passengers in your booking, you cannot make the change on our website. Contact a Ryanair Group reservation centre to make this change.
    To make a flight change, go to the ‘My Bookings’ section of the Ryanair website, or contact the Ryanair Group reservation centre.
    If passengers have purchased a reserved seat and it is available on the new flight, the same seats will be assigned on the new flight. If the purchased seats are not available on the new flight, passengers will be given the option to select new seats. They will be charged the price difference if the new seats they reserve are more expensive (if the price of the new seats is lower, we will not refund the difference.)
    Except as otherwise provided by applicable law, these Terms & Conditions shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The Green list has been reduced to 4 countries:

Cyprus *
    Finland *
    Latvia *
    Liechtenstein*

All of which require either a very recent PCR test or a 14 day quarantine for entry, so effectively we can't travel anywhere as it stands, without abiding by the destination country rules, or having to quarantine for 14 days on our return. We also can't leave Dublin without a good reason, so get used to being at home for the foreseeable!

I wouldn't travel regardless anyways, recently 1 woman in well spaced out business class infected 15 other business class customers, so no thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Green list has been reduced to 4 countries:

Cyprus *
    Finland *
    Latvia *
    Liechtenstein*

All of which require either a very recent PCR test or a 14 day quarantine for entry, so effectively we can't travel anywhere as it stands, without abiding by the destination country rules, or having to quarantine for 14 days on our return. We also can't leave Dublin without a good reason, so get used to being at home for the foreseeable!

I wouldn't travel regardless anyways, recently 1 woman in well spaced out business class infected 15 other business class customers, so no thanks!

That case was on 1 March - no masks. And not enough evidence on whether there could have been transmissions in the lounge, on the air bridge etc. Also some of those other passengers may already have had the infection (the flight was from London). The report itself is quite nuanced but does refer to risks of long haul travel in particular making references to surfaces etc.

That case was on 1 March - no masks. And not enough evidence on whether there could have been transmissions in the lounge, on the air bridge etc. Also some of those other passengers may already have had the infection (the flight was from London). The report itself is quite nuanced but does refer to risks of long haul travel in particular making references to surfaces etc.

Aye, that is true, but that's still probably safer than a Ryanair flight that's reasonably full, even masked up it would be very hard to avoid picking up fomites from your fellow passengers, the seat, the luggage rack door, the toilets etc. And that's not to mention the fools who will take their mask off, which is policed highly variably by flight crew on various airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭larchielads

Ive posted this on the Green List Thread too. Just trying to get as much info as i can so apologies for the double post.
    We just booked Poland last week off the greenlist now apparently. Will we need a negative covid test to travel or whats a requirement to travel. Will we have to quarantine/isolate or restrict movements when we get there?

Or is it likely to change if and when we supposedly change to the traffic light system in mid october? We are travelling last week of october.

Ive posted this on the Green List Thread too. Just trying to get as much info as i can so apologies for the double post.
    We just booked Poland last week off the greenlist now apparently. Will we need a negative covid test to travel or whats a requirement to travel. Will we have to quarantine/isolate or restrict movements when we get there?

Or is it likely to change if and when we supposedly change to the traffic light system in mid october? We are travelling last week of october.

Currently Poland will let you in, no issues, but you must quarantine for 14 days on your return. When we align with the EU, I would expect things to get worse for us as our cases per 100,000 is very bad right now, but that's speculation on my part, no hard and fast answers yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

https://dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/poland/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When does the EU alignment come into effect? We had a trip to Sicily planned for the 2nd week of October. It's not on the Green list any more, but we think we will still probably go, as we don't mind having to quarantine when we return (both full time WFH).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement