Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DVDM93 wrote: »

Generally you need to check both ends, take Cyprus, It's on the Green list but they won't let you in without a recent PCR test.

From their Gov website
    Based on the information provided you are able to fly to Cyprus, subject to meeting the below prerequisites and conditions:
    Prerequisites:

Submit your passenger information
    Accept the solemn declarations
    In order to fly you need to have a valid COVID-19 test. A valid test is a negative RT-PCR certificate from a certified laboratory. The test for COVID-19 have to be conducted during the last 72 hours before departure from your Country of Origin

Poland is currently, until Monday, the only country with no restrictions at either end, as of Monday you need to quarantine for 14 days on your return to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Kiith wrote: »
    When does the EU alignment come into effect? We had a trip to Sicily planned for the 2nd week of October. It's not on the Green list any more, but we think we will still probably go, as we don't mind having to quarantine when we return (both full time WFH).

It is not clear. The Taoiseach mentioned that the Commission recommendation would be discussed at a General Affairs Council meeting in mid October. Presumably there is work going on behind the scenes on the details of this recommendation and that it will be adopted at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Inquitus wrote: »
    Currently Poland will let you in, no issues, but you must quarantine for 14 days on your return. When we align with the EU, I would expect things to get worse for us as our cases per 100,000 is very bad right now, but that's speculation on my part, no hard and fast answers yet.

Incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Generally you need to check both ends, take Cyprus, It's on the Green list but they won't let you in without a recent PCR test.

From their Gov website

Poland is currently, until Monday, the only country with no restrictions at either end, as of Monday you need to quarantine for 14 days on your return to Ireland.

both ends are covered in the link I provided;

'EU citizens, including citizens of Ireland, can currently enter Poland without restriction. EU citizens entering Poland are no longer required by law to undertake a mandatory 14-day home quarantine.   International air travel between Poland and Ireland is no longer suspended. Please check with your airline for schedules. We strongly advise you to monitor the situation closely with regard to air travel to and from Poland, following the reintroduction of restrictions to a number of countries from 2nd September. Details at: https://www.gov.pl/web/koronawirus/aktualne-zasady-i-ograniczeniaThe Polish authorities have implemented a number of measures related to COVID-19. This includes additional restrictive measures in certain parts of Poland. For more detail in English on these measures, see http://www.gov.pl/coronavirus. For more complete detail (in Polish), see http://www.gov.pl/koronavirus.Irish citizens in Poland should register with the Embassy at https://citizensregistration.dfa.ie.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Bit ridiculous kicking Poland off for going to 25.6

Most country's hold some leeway for country's already on their green list and don't kick them off for exceeding the ideal treshold by .6

Lazy management again.

• Advertisement

When does the EU alignment come into effect? We had a trip to Sicily planned for the 2nd week of October. It's not on the Green list any more, but we think we will still probably go, as we don't mind having to quarantine when we return (both full time WFH).

October 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Currently Poland will let you in, no issues, but you must quarantine for 14 days on your return. When we align with the EU, I would expect things to get worse for us as our cases per 100,000 is very bad right now, but that's speculation on my part, no hard and fast answers yet.

Will you stop with the false implications. They need not ‘must quarantine’ on their return.

Nobody cannot still not know this at this stage. It’s been well flagged. It’s advice. Only that. And don’t say ‘well it’s the same thing! You want to kill your granny?’

Poland has better figures than us. Airports are full of hand gel dispensers, advised mask use, mandatory masks on board aircraft, etc. They’ve less chance of contracting it from the moment they enter Dublin Airport than they do staying in Ireland. That is irrefutable or are you denying the science of how it’s contracted and the figures released by NPHET?

No offence. I just ask you to stop using the term when talking to people about whether they should or shouldn’t travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

o many

you dont actually have to quarantine though and this is what so many are confused about, theres no legal obligation to quarantine they just ask you to, ive taken a few flights and came back and completed the form, i WFH so wasnt really going anywhere either with crowds but i certainly didnt confine myself to my house i was out for walks with the dog and jogging,etc.

322 pages, hundreds of times its been pointed out but yet people still go on about the mandatory quarantine. either being delberately misleading or unqualified to comment

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Surely in the interest of an entire industry the government should clarify the quarentine issue. People are misinformed and there's a stigma attached to people who travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

I think the use of the term "quarantine" is incorrect. If arriving back from a non green list country the correct term is " restricted movement".

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

Shovel70 wrote: »
    I think the use of the term "quarantine" is incorrect. If arriving back from a non green list country the correct term is " restricted movement".

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4020-travelling-to-ireland-from-a-country-that-is-not-on-the-covid-19-travel-advice-list/

Think the main issue is that it's an advisory, not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Limpy wrote: »
    Surely in the interest of an entire industry the government should clarify the quarentine issue. People are misinformed and there's a stigma attached to people who travel.

That's if you believe that the current state of chaos wrt travel is the result of decisions made in good faith by this government

Personally, I believe the whole process - from late June when the rest of Europe opened to today - has been devised to create confusion, anxiety and basically incentivize people to stay in Ireland, regardless of the risk of contracting COVID in the countries of destination.

1. "green list" approach delayed - 1st publication 23rd July

2. updates to the green list delayed throughout august when it was clear that many more nations had lower rates than ireland and would be included

3. adopting the full EU system from mid-october but in the meantime abandoning the previous system (which would've allowed travel to more countries below Ireland's rates) and temporarily use only the most restrictive part of the new system (the below 25/100k criteria)

EDIT

4. the whole essential vs non-essential debate without any definition (initially) and with DFA and HSE taking different interpretations
    5. isolation vs restricted movement

come on people... they're taking the p1ss

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    That's if you believe that the current state of chaos wrt travel is the result of decisions made in good faith by this government

Personally, I believe the whole process - from late June when the rest of Europe opened to today - has been devised to create confusion, anxiety and basically incentivize people to stay in Ireland, regardless of the risk of contracting COVID in the countries of destination.

1. "green list" approach delayed - 1st publication 23rd July

2. updates to the green list delayed throughout august when it was clear that many more nations had lower rates than ireland and would be included

3. adopting the full EU system from mid-october but in the meantime abandoning the previous system (which would've allowed travel to more countries below Ireland's rates) and temporarily use only the most restrictive part of the new system (the below 25/100k criteria)

EDIT

4. the whole essential vs non-essential debate without any definition (initially) and with DFA and HSE taking different interpretations
    5. isolation vs restricted movement

come on people... they're taking the p1ss

Yep. They know what they’re doing and it’s clearly worked to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

3xh wrote: »
    Yep. They know what they’re doing and it’s clearly worked to date.

I'd disagree there, it's certainly not stopping cases of the virus arriving from abroad, which would have been the ultimate goal IMO.

bladespin wrote: »
    I'd disagree there, it's certainly not stopping cases of the virus arriving from abroad, which would have been the ultimate goal IMO.

How many cases are arriving from abroad?

How many cases are arriving from abroad?

But but but - all 33000 cases are related to travel.....

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Just back from Krakow. Lovely weather and proper enforcement of mask wearing and Covid measures. Beautiful city with good transport and cheap prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

322 pages, hundreds of times its been pointed out but yet people still go on about the mandatory quarantine. either being delberately misleading or unqualified to comment

While it mightn’t be legally required, what is messing it up for a large amount of people that are working is that if they go abroad and if the advice is to restrict movements on return, they have to take 2 weeks annual leave or 2 weeks unpaid leave on return.

I work in the civil service and am supposed to be going away for a few days in November. If I have to take 2 weeks leave on return, I won’t be going anywhere. Most people I work with would go away for a few days also if they didn’t have to take 2 weeks leave on return.

So while it’s advisory - it may as well be compulsory for me if my employer makes me take 2 weeks off work on return

While it mightn’t be legally required, what is messing it up for a large amount of people that are working is that if they go abroad and if the advice is to restrict movements on return, they have to take 2 weeks annual leave or 2 weeks unpaid leave on return.

I work in the civil service and am supposed to be going away for a few days in November. If I have to take 2 weeks leave on return, I won’t be going anywhere. Most people I work with would go away for a few days also if they didn’t have to take 2 weeks leave on return.

So while it’s advisory - it may as well be compulsory for me if my employer makes me take 2 weeks off work on return

Do you need to inform your employer?
    Are you WFH?
    While it seems there was a central message, did your local HR put in place a procedure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Are you WFH?
    While it seems there was a central message, did your local HR put in place a procedure?

Our local HR did as well as the HSE. And while there are people, and a fair few of them on here, with the they dont need to know where you are going, its cited as a public health issue with disciplinary procedures. My trip has been booked since January so quite s few people in my workplace know where I'm going including my managers. So its 14 days for me. Luckily I have the annual leave.

Our local HR did as well as the HSE. And while there are people, and a fair few of them on here, with the they dont need to know where you are going, its cited as a public health issue with disciplinary procedures. My trip has been booked since January so quite s few people in my workplace know where I'm going including my managers. So its 14 days for me. Luckily I have the annual leave.

I can see the difficulties. I went to green zone and still restricted my movements but no problem as WFH. But at this stage I am thinking use the statutory leave I have to and next summer take a longer break (4 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭acequion

This! I've been saying it constantly from the start. It may as well be mandatory, legally enforced quarantine if people have to take two weeks unpaid leave on return. The vast majority of people just won't travel.

It's also highly discriminatory. Wfh people in some sectors can come home and continue to wfh, so no problem. While in others, like the civil and public service, they're still expected to take unpaid leave if wfh, supposedly in the interests of fairness. But how fair or logical is it! Then you have teachers like me, who can travel during the summer as we have the time to do 14 days on return but what about other public servants who don't have that luxury! Is that not discriminatory?

Not only is it stressful and worrying for civil servants and other workers cut off from loved ones abroad or simply unable to travel, it's also a major reason why the travel industry has been so badly hit. Yet there's hardly a word about it. Whole swathes of people being forced to take unpaid leave in order to carry out something that has no legal footing. The mind boggles! :confused::confused:

So you can’t just say ‘I cancelled the trip as the need to take the 14 days is too prohibitive for me. We’ll just stay local instead’?

Stargazer 68, there is no difference between your employer enacting this new rule and them enacting a rule that says you need to spend less than a month’s net salary on any holiday you take while in our employment. Would you comply with that?

I can tell you’ve made up your mind. Each to their own. Imagine contracting Covid on a shop visit on day 12 of restricting your movements and having to call in sick on your expected day of return to work. It’s as likely as anything else, if not more so, in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

So you can’t just say ‘I cancelled the trip as the need to take the 14 days is too prohibitive for me. We’ll just stay local instead’?
    /QUOTE]

No. Travelling tomorrow and spending the next week on a beach in Crete. Think the suntan would be a giveaway :)

No. Travelling tomorrow and spending the next week on a beach in Crete. Think the suntan would be a giveaway :)

just say you were on the tanning beds in a salon here in Ireland ;)

/QUOTE]

Submit this https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-vitamin-d-reduces-infection-and-impact-of-covid-19-studies-find-12081132 in your WRC hearing!

Bon voyage.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Are you WFH?

1.my employer would definitely find out if I went abroad.
    2. No
    3. Can take 2 weeks leave or 2 weeks unpaid

Reality is hundreds of thousands of people - at least - can’t go abroad without taking 2 weeks off work on return because of their employer.

The 2 weeks advice may aswel be mandatory for them.

As I said, if employer didn’t enforce it, I’d actually have gone away already - as would thousands of others I imagine

1.my employer would definitely find out if I went abroad.
    2. No
    3. Can take 2 weeks leave or 2 weeks unpaid

Reality is hundreds of thousands of people - at least - can’t go abroad without taking 2 weeks off work on return because of their employer.

The 2 weeks advice may aswel be mandatory for them.

As I said, if employer didn’t enforce it, I’d actually have gone away already - as would thousands of others I imagine

If you simple dont isolate and turn up for work then what? You are there and available.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

If you simple dont isolate and turn up for work then what? You are there and available.

and kill a load of people great

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement