Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

and kill a load of people great

How would that be? Dublin has 100 times more cases than Crete. Talbot street, Grafton Street and Henry street are more dangerous than Chania.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Hi there. What's the lates experience in Dublin airport after arriving from EU? Are they cheking your email with PLf? Is it still possible to fill paper form?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would you all just stay in your house with a mask on and stop being rebels. LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would you all just stay in your house with a mask on and stop being rebels. LOL.

Wrong thread. I believe that is the sentiment on the one all things Mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wrong thread. I believe that is the sentiment on the one all things Mask.

LOL it was tongue in cheek as you more than likely spotted anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

How would that be? Dublin has 100 times more cases than Crete. Talbot street, Grafton Street and Henry street are more dangerous than Chania.

Would you not spare a thought for the hapless cretins?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

andersat2 wrote: »
    Hi there. What's the lates experience in Dublin airport after arriving from EU? Are they cheking your email with PLf? Is it still possible to fill paper form?
    Arrived Wednesday evening - you can chose to fill out the passenger locator forms in the terminal or fill out https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/ even pre-departure. The officer at the booth then asked for the email receipt on the phone, and asked me if I live in Dublin or elsewhere. Dublin it is, but that was fine.

Received two text messages after my arrival, one requesting to restrict movements, and today another one asking if I was still residing on the address that I filled out on the PLF.

and kill a load of people great

What an outlandish comment unless the user is a psychopath serial killer now which staying at home is unlikely to stop by the way.

I didn't see anyone from Kildare staying away from work for 2 weeks either, all arrived in and so far we have had 1 case of covid and zero deaths. The plague, this is not.

IQO wrote: »
    Arrived Wednesday evening - you can chose to fill out the passenger locator forms in the terminal or fill out https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/ even pre-departure. The officer at the booth then asked for the email receipt on the phone, and asked me if I live in Dublin or elsewhere. Dublin it is, but that was fine.

Received two text messages after my arrival, one requesting to restrict movements, and today another one asking if I was still residing on the address that I filled out on the PLF.

Phonecalls seem to be targeting anyone that doesn't answer the text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Despite saying they will sign up to the EU plan, somehow I doubt our lot will. Found an explanation of the plan.
    https://www.afar.com/magazine/europes-new-covid-travel-rules-explained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That’s very interesting.... thanks for posting.
    However it says....

Ireland is one of the few countries in Europe that is actually following the European Commission’s guidance.

So why is the Irish approach getting so much flack..I’m confused??

Despite saying they will sign up to the EU plan, somehow I doubt our lot will. Found an explanation of the plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Testing facilities are in the process of being set up in Dublin and cork airports

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Phonecalls seem to be targeting anyone that doesn't answer the text
    Despite answering the text, I still got a call this afternoon: had to verify my address and received again the advice to restrict movements, and to download the tracker app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

johnire wrote: »
    That’s very interesting.... thanks for posting.
    However it says....

Ireland is one of the few countries in Europe that is actually following the European Commission’s guidance.

So why is the Irish approach getting so much flack..I’m confused??

It's not. It's cherry picking the rules. It has ignored the amber list which would see half of europe on the list.

IQO wrote: »
    Despite answering the text, I still got a call this afternoon: had to verify my address and received again the advice to restrict movements, and to download the tracker app.

yeah I noticed I had two missed calls today as well. I have the app and its always on.

Such a waste of manpower ticking boxes which mean nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Not true. Ireland have not followed Europe’s travel rules. We want the 100% testing techniques at airports. Germany is the country to aspire to with health service, testing and tracing but not good enough for NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

acequion wrote: »
    This! I've been saying it constantly from the start. It may as well be mandatory, legally enforced quarantine if people have to take two weeks unpaid leave on return. The vast majority of people just won't travel.

It's also highly discriminatory. Wfh people in some sectors can come home and continue to wfh, so no problem. While in others, like the civil and public service, they're still expected to take unpaid leave if wfh, supposedly in the interests of fairness. But how fair or logical is it! Then you have teachers like me, who can travel during the summer as we have the time to do 14 days on return but what about other public servants who don't have that luxury! Is that not discriminatory?

Not only is it stressful and worrying for civil servants and other workers cut off from loved ones abroad or simply unable to travel, it's also a major reason why the travel industry has been so badly hit. Yet there's hardly a word about it. Whole swathes of people being forced to take unpaid leave in order to carry out something that has no legal footing. The mind boggles! :confused::confused:
    Taking Germany and Poland off the travel list is ridiculous. They have one third virus of Ireland. Proper enforcement in Poland. Latvia is ok but they require us to isolate for 14 days. Policy is a joke. Gardai out in Donegal with no power to stop anyone traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Not true. Ireland have not followed Europe’s travel rules. We want the 100% testing techniques at airports. Germany is the country to aspire to with health service, testing and tracing but not good enough for NPHET.

I was in Germany at the weekend and it's very much business as usual. Pubs and restaurants open, transport as normal, football stadiums allowing 20% of the crowd back, etc etc
    Hamburg with a population of 1.9 million had 60 cases yesterday. Dublin with 1.3 million has nearly 4 times the amount.

We really are getting it wrong here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I was in Germany at the weekend and it's very much business as usual. Pubs and restaurants open, transport as normal, football stadiums allowing 20% of the crowd back, etc etc.Hamburg with a population of 1.9 million had 60 cases yesterday. Dublin with 1.3 million has nearly 4 times the amount. We really are getting it wrong here

Yeap, well the Germans like clear rules and recommendations and that's what the population gets, plus you can go to the Doctor for free..

Ireland with NPHET-FFFG along with RTE, The Indo/Journal.ie are keeping up the fear level on the population with muddled messages constant bad news, daily figures and telling us there's going to be hundreds of deaths soon, plus all the nonsense of keeping Bars/restaurants closed..

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yeap, well the Germans like clear rules and recommendations and that's what the population gets, plus you can go to the Doctor for free..

Ireland with NPHET-FFFG along with RTE, The Indo/Journal.ie are keeping up the fear level on the population with muddled messages constant bad news, daily figures and telling us there's going to be hundreds of deaths soon, plus all the nonsense of keeping Bars/restaurants closed..

Yep. The next 10 days are critical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭gerogerigegege

I was in Germany at the weekend and it's very much business as usual. Pubs and restaurants open, transport as normal, football stadiums allowing 20% of the crowd back, etc etc
    Hamburg with a population of 1.9 million had 60 cases yesterday. Dublin with 1.3 million has nearly 4 times the amount.

is there anything we get right in this country?

booked Hamburg myself for the end of the month. I've a feeling we'll be in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

3xh wrote: »

Oh. And there was me thinking the next 10 days were extremely worrying. Or concerning. Or was that yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

That's German efficiency for ya!

I'd love to get away for a weekend. Somewhere, anywhere. Just don't think I'd get much pleasure during this whole COVID yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

is there anything we get right in this country?

booked Hamburg myself for the end of the month. I've a feeling we'll be in lockdown.

Think you'll be alright once (if) the new European rules come in.
    I'm going back the bank holiday weekend and am hopeful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Think you'll be alright once (if) the new European rules come in.
    I'm going back the bank holiday weekend and am hopeful tbh.

Did you visit Miniatur Wunderland when you were there? It's one thing I've always wanted to visit, well besides the country itself too, as I've never been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Norway :

https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coronavirus-facts-advice/facts-and-general-advice/travel-advice-COVID19/

My God, all of Europe needs to quarantine (apart from most of Finland, some of Sweden and Latvia) for 10 days upon entry to Norway.
    They have a bar of 20 cases per 100k !! , to avoid going into quarantine you must be coming from a country with less than this !

Insane, I think we can safely say that most countries in Europe will NEVER reach this - even when there is a vaccine.
    I had cancelled a trip from this July, nevermind I said, we'll go next summer ... eh not ****ing likely , even summer 2022 can go and f*ck!!

So is this what we're looking at, some countries just effectively closing their borders ? yes I know technically I could go into quarantine for 10 days before a holiday there, but let's face it , vast majority of people can't afford this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

3xh wrote: »

Very concerning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Norway :

https://www.fhi.no/en/op/novel-coronavirus-facts-advice/facts-and-general-advice/travel-advice-COVID19/

My God, all of Europe needs to quarantine (apart from most of Finland, some of Sweden and Latvia) for 10 days upon entry to Norway.
    They have a bar of 20 cases per 100k !! , to avoid going into quarantine you must be coming from a country with less than this !

Insane, I think we can safely say that most countries in Europe will NEVER reach this - even when there is a vaccine.
    I had cancelled a trip from this July, nevermind I said, we'll go next summer ... eh not ****ing likely , even summer 2022 can go and f*ck!!

So is this what we're looking at, some countries just effectively closing their borders ? yes I know technically I could go into quarantine for 10 days before a holiday there, but let's face it , vast majority of people can't afford this.

We had our bar at 5/100k up until Recently and still have it at 25/100k despite our own rates now being more than triple that.

We are a lot worse than Norway.

Oh. And there was me thinking the next 10 days were extremely worrying. Or concerning. Or was that yesterday?

We are at a "tipping point" ... or wait sorry .. "a crossroads...." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We had our bar at 5/100k up until Recently and still have it at 25/100k despite our own rates now being more than triple that.

We are a lot worse than Norway.

My point is Norway will need to pretty much close their own borders if thats the bar they want to set.

This virus is here, it's everywhere, most places will have rates far far higher than 20/100,000.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement