Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

TomSweeney wrote: »
    My point is Norway will need to pretty much close their own borders if thats the bar they want to set.

This virus is here, it's everywhere, most places will have rates far far higher than 20/100,000.

You do realise that our green list consists exclusively of countries that won’t let us in or else don’t have an airport?
    Norwegians at least have a few places to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

You do realise that our green list consists exclusively of countries that won’t let us in or else don’t have an airport?
    Norwegians at least have a few places to go.
    ok ?
    So ?

Sorry, this is the travel thread, I am selfishly complaining about my own plans on going there, and how it looks like it will be impossible for years to come and not just delayed 1 year.
    and again, yes it is selfish I know there is bigger issues here with the rona, but as it's the travel thread ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

ok ?
    So ?

Sorry, this is the travel thread, I am selfishly complaining about my own plans on going there, and how it looks like it will be impossible for years to come and not just delayed 1 year.
    and again, yes it is selfish I know there is bigger issues here with the rona, but as it's the travel thread ... :)

Just saying there is no point saying the Norwegians are being conservative when we are ven more so.

Yes I know, it sucks for everyone. I hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

jaxxx wrote: »
    Did you visit Miniatur Wunderland when you were there? It's one thing I've always wanted to visit, well besides the country itself too, as I've never been.

I'll send you a PM as don't wanna derail this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

Oh. And there was me thinking the next 10 days were extremely worrying. Or concerning. Or was that yesterday?

"Free beer tomorrow"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Just saying there is no point saying the Norwegians are being conservative when we are ven more so.

Yes I know, it sucks for everyone. I hate it.
    ah yes i understand, but what is the solution here ?
    Will countries need to higher the bar for a green list ?

20/100k seems unrealistic for most EU countries ... and unfortunately I live in Spain :( ...

If summer 2021 is another practically zero tourism season, it's seriously bad news, will be irreversible damage..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Well currently in Crete by the pool. 27 degrees. Pubs and restaurants all open. Close at midnight but that's ok. Masks in shops but other than that all fairly normal. Drinking and eating outside, a fair few tourists about. Delighted we came :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

20/100k seems unrealistic for most EU countries ... and unfortunately I live in Spain :( ....

Back in July/August when a lot of countries were seeing low cases each week the 20/100k cases seemed a reasonable limit... Now as a national limit it's just crazy and won't work, what's needed are region/city based restrictions... So you can still travel to Spain but stay away from whatever area has higher cases..

There's 27 million jobs relying on tourism/hospitality/aviation across Europe so realistic action is needed now before irreversible damage occurs.

The Irish Green list was setup to be ignored and that's what people should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Well currently in Crete by the pool. 27 degrees. Pubs and restaurants all open. Close at midnight but that's ok. Masks in shops but other than that all fairly normal. Drinking and eating outside, a fair few tourists about. Delighted we came :)

Yeah, just got back from Chania yesterday. Lovely time. Again, glad I went.

Was bit surprised to see both flights fairly full though. I wonder if Ryanair has consolidated its schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

Tazz T wrote: »
    Was bit surprised to see both flights fairly full though. I wonder if Ryanair has consolidated its schedule.
    People booked this when Greece was still on the green list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Quite a lot of people I know who are travelling abroad at the moment are in the very category that some on here want to protect. And good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tracing and quick turnaround testing travel may open again.https://www.facebook.com/45441411157/posts/10157802168416158/

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

... and unfortunately I live in Spain :( ...

Not a sentence I ever expected to read!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Currently nearly finished my 2 week quarantine after returning from 2 months in Spain.

Heading to Prague and Poland in the next few weeks.

Happy to wear my mask everywhere, hand sanitizer respect restrictions and distancing etc, there's no need to be hanging around saying 'I'll only travel when this virus is over'

It could be 25 years before there's a vaccine or a cure, it could just become another common illness..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Currently nearly finished my 2 week quarantine after returning from 2 months in Spain.

Heading to Prague and Poland in the next few weeks.

Happy to wear my mask everywhere, hand sanitizer respect restrictions and distancing etc, there's no need to be hanging around saying 'I'll only travel when this virus is over'

It could be 25 years before there's a vaccine or a cure, it could just become another common illness..

That's fair enough in your circumstances but there are many who simply don't have the availability to quarantine at home after travelling due to work or family commitments.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

jaxxx wrote: »
    Did you visit Miniatur Wunderland when you were there? It's one thing I've always wanted to visit, well besides the country itself too, as I've never been.

It is fecking brilliant. Seriously clever. Attention to detail is amazing.

Germany is good too (More generally). Love the Christmas markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

for anyone heading to Germany from the "border region" (aparantly a thing, probably a government scam to get cash from Europe) its now considered an official risk area. The north, and Wales, also have this honour.

The plan for 5 days quarantine was supposed to kick in today but it seems to have been put back as part of a larger testing initiative to be brought in later in the month, and if I understand right a quick test will be sufficient to get out of quarantine which then preserves PCR testing for clinical use (all very smart, and in a non english speaking country, so Ireland will probably first hear about it by Easter and introduce it next August)
    Ireland - the following regions are classified as risk areas:
    - region Dublin (since 23 September)
    - region Border (since 30 September)

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – the following regions and
    nations are currently classified as a risk areas:
    - Northern Ireland (since 30 September)
    - Wales (since 30 September)
    https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_30092020_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

I presume when they say "border" its this:
    220px-Newborderregionboundary.png
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Region

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

for anyone heading to Germany from the "border region" (aparantly a thing, probably a government scam to get cash from Europe) its now considered an official risk area. The north, and Wales, also have this honour.

The plan for 5 days quarantine was supposed to kick in today but it seems to have been put back as part of a larger testing initiative to be brought in later in the month, and if I understand right a quick test will be sufficient to get out of quarantine which then preserves PCR testing for clinical use (all very smart, and in a non english speaking country, so Ireland will probably first hear about it by Easter and introduce it next August)

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_30092020_en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

How on Earth is Louth not included in that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

To clarify - what is the position now in respect to travelling from Dublin to Germany? Is it allowed? Is there a quarantine period? Is a test required before travelling?

Separately one would hope that Dublin airport is looking at the quick test option. It is a risk management measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Lads, thinking of visiting family in NYC in March as return flights are very reasonable at the minute (understandably). I know it's hard to predict, but what do we reckon the situation will be like then? I have the month of March off and was thinking of going for a week to visit so I'll still be able to quarantine etc when I return. Still reluctant to book the flights though incase everywhere ends up in full lockdown again or something.

The other half of me is thinking it's an unnecessary risk and to leave it all together until things improve as a whole. God knows when that will be though.

• Advertisement

Duff wrote: »
    Lads, thinking of visiting family in NYC in March as return flights are very reasonable at the minute (understandably). I know it's hard to predict, but what do we reckon the situation will be like then? I have the month of March off and was thinking of going for a week to visit so I'll still be able to quarantine etc when I return. Still reluctant to book the flights though incase everywhere ends up in full lockdown again or something.
    getting back into Ireland is currently no issue.

Theres an advised 14 days restriction of movements which translates into working from home and not going partying to 3 functions a day like you see from some in Donegal, Dublin or Cork city (christ, can some people not just calm down, not Tony Holohan calm down, just maybe limit yourself to 1 party per day or weekend)

I presume youve an american passport or something like that to get into the USA as that would seem to be the biggest issue for most who would be posting on an irish board.

To clarify - what is the position now in respect to travelling from Dublin to Germany? Is it allowed? Is there a quarantine period? Is a test required before travelling?

Separately one would hope that Dublin airport is looking at the quick test option. It is a risk management measure.
    Yep, thats no problem

Currently you must do a 14 day quarantine in Germany if coming from a risk area, reducable to zero if you have a negative test result

Free tests are available at the airport BUT you must quarantine till that comes in, and in some states (Hessen aka Frankfurt area is one of them) you cannot stay in a hotel if you come from a risk area without presenting a negative test.
    No idea whats the story in other areas.

There are tests available at a cost at the German airports (120 euro I hear) that you get results back in an hour or so, which is cheaper than wasting cash on a few nights hotel whilst waiting for test results (in a place that lets you stay there in the first place).

The other half of me is thinking it's an unnecessary risk and to leave it all together until things improve as a whole. God knows when that will be though.

How much are flights a month from now? A week from now? I'd try book it as close to the time as possible. It would cause me too much anxiety booking that much in the future with so much uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

AFAIK, unless it has been rescinded recently, at the minute you can't enter from Ireland unless you are a US citizen or green card/work visa holder. The ESTA holiday visas are suspended. Closer to the time would be a better idea to book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While the government thinks this is a win, I see it as a further blow for credibility. Its no law just advice so they need to stop blurring those lines when threatening Garda checkpoints and checks in the airports

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-loses-high-court-action-over-ireland-s-travel-advice-1.4370292

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

faceman wrote: »
    While the government thinks this is a win, I see it as a further blow for credibility. Its no law just advice so they need to stop blurring those lines when threatening Garda checkpoints and checks in the airports

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-loses-high-court-action-over-ireland-s-travel-advice-1.4370292

Now that it has been established in court that the travel restrictions including 14 days restricted movements after flying to any country is advisory, it would be very unwise for the gov to challenge this with checkpoints. I'm sure Ryanair would only be too happy to cover court costs if anyone was actually stopped from travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Tazz T wrote: »
    Now that it has been established in court that the travel restrictions including 14 days restricted movements after flying to any country is advisory, it would be very unwise for the gov to challenge this with checkpoints. I'm sure Ryanair would only be too happy to cover court costs if anyone was actually stopped from travelling.

that doesn't even enter into it at all, you cannot be stopped from leaving the state... go as many times as you like to as many countries as will accept people from Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

faceman wrote: »

It makes me wonder how legal it is for people in the public sector being made to take 2 weeks unpaid leave if they return from a non green list country. I wonder was this just advise too?

On the travel advise itself, I'm sure LV and MM were on the radio or TV talking about the travel advise. It would be interesting to hear back what wording they used, whether you are advised to restrict movements or whether you had to restrict movements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Klonker wrote: »
    It makes me wonder how legal it is for people in the public sector being made to take 2 weeks unpaid leave if they return from a non green list country. I wonder was this just advise too?

On the travel advise itself, I'm sure LV and MM were on the radio or TV talking about the travel advise. It would be interesting to hear back what wording they used, whether you are advised to restrict movements or whether you had to restrict movements.

I think they were very careful to use 'Advice' from the start. It was the PR spin that made it look like a rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Klonker wrote: »

I wonder. It is certainly not being presented to PS Staff as advice.
    My sister is a public servant due to travel to Italy at the end of this month.
    She has been told by her manager that if she goes she must take another 14 days AL or 14 days unpaid leave upon return.
    Her manager is suggesting that she not go as would be short-staffed if another 14 days needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement