Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'd bet that if this was the US then all the holidaymakers who lost their hols over the travel advice given byt RTE etc would be making a legal case against them, the term 'travel ban' was definitely used in reports.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I wonder. It is certainly not being presented to PS Staff as advice.
    My sister is a public servant due to travel to Italy at the end of this month.
    She has been told by her manager that if she goes she must take another 14 days AL or 14 unpaid leave upon return.
    Her manager is suggesting that she not go as would be short-staffed if another 14 days needed.

well considering even the government accept my travel is essential, I will certainly be onto my union with a view to keep fighting this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The thing is they "leave it up to the employer." So the government itself as a public sector employer, and any private companies that want to follow in its footsteps, are perfectly entitled to and do fine you/restrict you etc. if you are in breach of the "advisory guidelines", while other companies are not.

So those working for the government or those working for companies abiding by the government's mentality are completely screwed and restricted, but those who do not work for a company who cares about these things are as free as the wind to enjoy themselves.

"We're all in this together" - yeah, sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The_Brood wrote: »
    The thing is they "leave it up to the employer." So the government itself as a public sector employer, and any private companies that want to follow in its footsteps, are perfectly entitled to and do fine you/restrict you etc. if you are in breach of the "advisory guidelines", while other companies are not.

So those working for the government or those working for companies abiding by the government's mentality are completely screwed and restricted, but those who do not work for a company who cares about these things are as free as the wind to enjoy themselves.

"We're all in this together" - yeah, sure.

When/if Ireland moves to the EU model, do you expect this policy to change for PS employees?

I wonder. It is certainly not being presented to PS Staff as advice.
    My sister is a public servant due to travel to Italy at the end of this month.
    She has been told by her manager that if she goes she must take another 14 days AL or 14 days unpaid leave upon return.
    Her manager is suggesting that she not go as would be short-staffed if another 14 days needed.

Yep. And their logic is pretty much that you are only told it's advisory as a resident of Ireland, but as a public servant it is mandatory or you face those fines. So it's "advisory" as long as you are not in the public service. AKA you are punished if you are in the public service.

In my view this is monstrously unfair.

When/if Ireland moves to the EU model, do you expect this policy to change for PS employees?

Who knows, but logic has sadly not been a prime driver for this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Yep. And their logic is pretty much that you are only told it's advisory as a resident of Ireland, but as a public servant it is mandatory or you face those fines. So it's "advisory" as long as you are not in the public service. AKA you are punished if you are in the public service.

In my view this is monstrously unfair.

If it remains this way, my sister will not go. She can't afford to take unpaid and while she has the AL she wants to keep it as she has been told that she can roll some days into 2021.
    Accommodation will be refunded but she will lose the flights.

If it remains this way, my sister will not go. She can't afford to take unpaid and while she has the AL she wants to keep it as she has been told that she can roll some days into 2021.

Yep, and I think that's the situation a massive amount of people in the public service find themselves in.

I know some people in this thread are all about "just ignore this and don't tell anyone" and I understand that works for some people, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone, and it certainly doesn't work as an excuse for how unfair this is to public workers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Yep, and I think that's the situation a massive amount of people in the public service find themselves in.

I know some people in this thread are all about "just ignore this and don't tell anyone" and I understand that works for some people, but it certainly doesn't work for everyone, and it certainly doesn't work as an excuse for how unfair this is to public workers.

I’ll be talking to the union about this on Monday and I say this as someone who was recently in Italy and told my employer SFA(public service). This country is a fuxkin disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

If the flights were expensive enough and not just €20 return or so, don’t forget to apply for the refund of taxes and charges. There’ll no doubt be a €50 admin charge or something like that but as I say, if the tickets were pricey, you’ll get some money back from the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Seamai wrote: »
    We were in a similar situation supposed to go to the U.S to visit the in laws about 6 weeks ago. Aer Lingus looked like they were going to make it difficult but in the end they offered us reschedule or refund. We went for the full refund. We plan to go when it's OK but being realistic we don't know when that will be. In the short to medium term my feeling is that airline prices will have to be attractive enough to attract nervous customers back.

Did you have to approach Aer Lingus about this and was it because of the travel ban on Irish citizens to the US? I was due to travel soon to NY for an event which is not happening now. I cant find anything on the AL website about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

I'm hoping to travel to NY for a couple of weeks in Feb. With this Country in recession I want to see what the employment is like over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

This is such a pain in the hole. I want to travel but cannot as I would be required to take two weeks unpaid on return as well as become a social pariah at work. The icing on the cake is that we are being told we must take two weeks before christmas.

This is such a pain in the hole. I want to travel but cannot as I would be required to take two weeks unpaid on return as well as become a social pariah at work. The icing on the cake is that we are being told we must take two weeks before christmas.

This again. Has it not been clarified to death at this point?

There’s no quarantine ‘rule’ or ‘requirement’. Just advice. Advise your colleagues to go f themselves.
    Or even better, tell them nothing about your outside life.

Why you’d have to take 2 weeks anyway and still be a social pariah is beyond me. Weird, toxic place you work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You work in the public service/medical profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    You work
    in the public service/medical profession?

I am a nurse...bring on all the haters that will say that I should not travel. but I actually had a lot of time booked off from work as this was supposed to be my once in a lifetime holiday...now I am in Crete..and loving it so far..but because of the feckin "advise/guidlelines, it actually is a thing that HR apparently need to know where I go...they can feck off..I do have the 2 weeks off when I come back but feck them if I am gonna tell them where I am going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

You work in the public service/medical profession?

Yes. Unfortunately I am not prepared to rock the boat at work. Also not a good liar.

Shovel70 wrote: »
    I am a nurse...bring on all the haters that will say that I should not travel. but I actually had a lot of time booked off from work as this was supposed to be my once in a lifetime holiday...now I am in Crete..and loving it so far..but because of the feckin "advise/guidlelines, it actually is a thing that HR apparently need to know where I go...they can feck off..I do have the 2 weeks off when I come back but feck them if I am gonna tell them where I am going

All the nurses and medical workers/carers etc. who for the past 7 months have worked their backsides off, have put their lives at risk from direct exposure to not just this virus but all other illnesses. Who have watched people die, and all with not much pay or rest... if anyone says they should not travel...well Mind your own F'ing business!

• Advertisement

Yes. Unfortunately I am not prepared to rock the boat at work. Also not a good liar.

It's not easy, everyone is entitled to a full holiday to switch off from this Covid madness..

I’d love for you to give us your view sometime on the NPHET case numbers, how the hospitalisation figure includes people admitted primarily for a non Covid reason like a broken leg, etc etc. and if that is a reasonable way to gauge things as well as how you see the load on the health system currently and if you think there’s capacity there to soak up further increases in hospitalisations/ICU admissions, etc. through a greater reopening up of the economy and society.

If you think you’re identifiable and would rather not, no problem.

3xh wrote: »
    I’d love for you to give us your view sometime on the NPHET case numbers, how the hospitalisation figure includes people admitted primarily for a non Covid reason like a broken leg, etc etc. and if that is a reasonable way to gauge things as well as how you see the load on the health system currently and if you think there’s capacity there to soak up further increases in hospitalisations/ICU admissions, etc. through a greater reopening up of the economy and society.

Ah let Shovel have their holiday and switch off from all this crazy Covid stuff, will all still be here when they get back..

Actually, yes, sorry. I did mean that! Honest. I meant in time.

All the nurses and medical workers/carers etc. who for the past 7 months have worked their backsides off, have put their lives at risk from direct exposure to not just this virus but all other illnesses. Who have watched people die, and all with not much pay or rest... if anyone says they should not travel...well Mind your own F'ing business!

Sadly the government says exactly that to nurses and all public workers - and threatens consequences for non-compliance.

3xh wrote: »

Seriously, like wtf, I am on holiday! I have no problem being "identifiable". Many people at work know I am here. I chose not to formally inform HR as I do not believe that I need to inform them what I am doing in my time off if I am being safe by having 2 weeks off to restrict my movements when I return...which I will do as a matter of safety and respect to the people I care for in work, my co-workers and my family, not because the government "advises" me to.

Ah let Shovel have their holiday and switch off from all this crazy Covid stuff, will all still be here when they get back..

Thanks Tenor...I have woken up to see the beauty of where I am....beach is 10 metres from my door. I have a happy wine/raki head on me and just out of the pool after a wake up swim...life is good...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Thanks Tenor...I have woken up to see the beauty of where I am....beach is 10 metres from my door. I have a happy wine/raki head on me and just out of the pool after a wake up swim...life is good...

That's hardly Nea Chora is it?

I'm off to Crete (Chania) myself on Wednesday & my accom is also right on the beach! (Christina Beach Hotel)

I'm excited reading your post, hope you're having fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Sat by our villa pool. Not a sound around apart from the odd goat noises. Was in chania last night. Busy enough and great to see. Heading into the local village tonight by the sea :)

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »
    That's hardly Nea Chora is it?

I'm off to Crete (Chania) myself on Wednesday & my accom is also right on the beach! (Christina Beach Hotel)

I'm excited reading your post, hope you're having fun :)

I actually looked at a place on Nea Chora that was on the beach...an apartment attached to a little fish restaurant...tsalikis I think. But I am staying now in Agia Marina which is 20 mins away. I have been to Chania before and loved it and will take the bus there one day next week. This little place is absolutely perfect...lovely family welcome and beach, pool, bar and restaurant within steps of my front door. I hope you have a fab holiday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement