Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

good to read stargazer 68 & Shovel 70 :)

31 degrees in Chania atm I see, lucky ducks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Sat by our villa pool. Not a sound around apart from the odd goat noises. Was in chania last night. Busy enough and great to see. Heading into the local village tonight by the sea :)

Am on the beach and not a sound around apart from the waves! I am not far from Chania so will head in there in a few days. Hope the holiday continues to be fab.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Sat by our villa pool. Not a sound around apart from the odd goat noises. Was in chania last night. Busy enough and great to see. Heading into the local village tonight by the sea :)

Sounds like your surrounded by Covid there. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Not jealous:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Enjoy sun holidays folks. Rain and wind here this morning. Covid panic everywhere. Winter hasn’t even started and talk of hospitals being overrun. Politicians like Harris, Martin and Varadkar telling us what we must do after leaving disfunctional HSE after them. Media panicking population. Denmark, Germany, Austria etc have steady up and down cases but it’s about deaths and hospitalizations which are low. This virus is unbeatable. The vulnerable and old like myself must mind ourselves. Again enjoy holidays abroad in safer places than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Get booking everyone before NPHET start locking down Portmagee like it's Pyongyang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

I am living in Germany and had planned to travel to see my parents this Friday (in their 70s and late 80s, in very poor health, who I haven't seen for 8 months because of COVID). My time off work is booked, and I had planned to take whatever precautions I can: get tested before leaving, travel by car & ferry, isolate and not leave home during my stay (until I leave again after two weeks).

Now I see Ireland might be moving to Level 5... can I still reasonably travel?

I have been delaying visiting them for months because of COVID. At their age, they could be dead any day so I cannot keep putting it off. I also cannot see things getting any better this winter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Guessing a lvl5 would kill all travel plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Kiith wrote: »
    Guessing a lvl5 would kill all travel plans?

I was actually thinking if we went to level 5, I would feck off to where ever would take me for a month and wfh and come back as some normality is getting back to the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

embraer170 wrote: »
    I am living in Germany and had planned to travel to see my parents this Friday (in their 70s and late 80s, in very poor health, who I haven't seen for 8 months because of COVID). My time off work is booked, and I had planned to take whatever precautions I can: get tested before leaving, travel by car & ferry, isolate and not leave home during my stay (until I leave again after two weeks).

I have been delaying visiting them for months because of COVID. At their age, they could be dead any day so I cannot keep putting it off. I also cannot see things getting any better this winter.

Of course. Do not cancel. There are no travel restrictions, be it ferry or plane.

Holding out 8 months already is quite the personal sacrifice. You’ll kick yourself if the worst was to happen between now and you finally getting back so don’t put it off again.

Please do not misunderstand this travel/quarantine/14-days/restrict your movements/etc wording. You are free to come and go (even if you choose to restrict your movements for less than 14 days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Does level5 mean you cannot leave the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

nickkinneg wrote: »

No, you could come and go in the last lockdown.

if this happens I'll be getting the hell out of here and working remotely from somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You can always leave the country. Unless the airports are closed which didnt happen back in march and flights are going, nothing stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's recommended that you leave Ireland and move to another country which has a handle on how to manage Covid and not lock healthy people up and shut down the economy like a light switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You can always leave the country. Unless the airports are closed which didnt happen back in march and flights are going, nothing stopping you.

Can you leave the country on lvl5?

You could always travel, even in the tightest lockdown. The airports were never closer. Go. That is essential travel

You could always travel. Even in the tightest lockdown. The airports have never been closed. You just need to be aware of what are the requirements for arrivals at each end.

Go. That is essential travel

• Advertisement

Not sure what happens but it posted my question 5 times for some reason - only wanted 1 answer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They can't imprison you (yet) thankfully.

Up to the country where you are going if you can get in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Amazing the State won’t empower Garda to fine or prosecute offenders who breach Public Health quickly but will lockdown the entire population for the laziness and stupidity of a minority. Europe dealing far better with the virus. Clear out of here if you can.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Amazing the State won’t empower Garda to fine or prosecute offenders who breach Public Health quickly but will lockdown the entire population for the laziness and stupidity of a minority. Europe dealing far better with the virus. Clear out of here if you can.

Europe forced entire populations inside for months with anything from zero to 30 minutes outside. Im unsure how you can applaud them but accuse Ireland of locking down an entire population when they never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

fawlty682 wrote: »

Exactly. They will lock down us all and destroy businesses, hopes and futures of people perfectly compliant, but they will still not enact the only powers that can actually stop the stupid minority. Instead of forcing compliance, they will take the nuclear option and freeze all our collective lives.

The option is not to run, it is to stand up and force them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Every time I read level 5 I think of number 11 in Spinal Tap...am truly showing my age now. Does level 5 mean I cant come back from Crete?...tragic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

Oh wow. I’m in the same position. Living in Germany and my dad isn’t in good health. Haven’t seen either himself or my mum since last Christmas, and I’m dreading not seeing my dad again, and I really miss them both. Thinking of just booking a flight, but my parents live in different counties, so I’m not sure how I could work it other than staying in Dublin for two weeks before travelling to the other county. Wouldn’t be allowed back physically into work for two weeks after return as well, so they won’t take it well, even though I can do most work from home.

No point in waiting until Christmas, as I’d say it will be worse if anything, and people will travel for Christmas no matter what, so it will be more risky for everybody.

I wouldn’t mind any number of tests to get to see them. Have had one already - it’s fine. But I understand there’s a waiting period, but if it was three days rather than two weeks, it would make a big difference.

I’m not 100% up to date with the situation in Ireland, although I listen to the Irish news so I have a fair idea.

Would it be possible just to go back for like a week and travel between two counties (obviously not if we hit level 5)?

just back from weekend in UK visiting my daughter. To be honest I felt safer on flights and in the airports than I do in my local shop! Great trip, great experience, every single person compliant in airports and on flights. Getting through security easy etc, however far fewer shops open in the airports and last night in Stansted there was nowhere to get a coffee after 8pm, everything shuts up early. Its a small price to pay for a bit of freedom and chance to see someone you love . Should have done it sooner and I will continue to travel from now on. Life must go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SnowyMay wrote: »
    <snip>
    Would it be possible just to go back for like a week and travel between two counties (obviously not if we hit level 5)?
    firstly, Ireland has no restrictions on travel and aparantly didnt even have it at the height of lockdown. Theres advice to restrict your movements with zero legal basis.

You need to fill a form stating where you will be (so at Parent A for week 1, and then change it to Parent B when thats applicable) and thats it.

Still, if you are staying with your parents and not going to pubs / restaurants or visiting all the relatives, then that fulfils the terms of (voluntarily) restricting your movements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

firstly, Ireland has no restrictions on travel and aparantly didnt even have it at the height of lockdown. Theres advice to restrict your movements with zero legal basis.

You need to fill a form stating where you will be (so at Parent A for week 1, and then change it to Parent B when thats applicable) and thats it.

Still, if you are staying with your parents and not going to pubs / restaurants or visiting all the relatives, then that fulfils the terms of (voluntarily) restricting your movements.

Thank you. That eases my mind. Ok, may just book a flight. It’s getting important at this stage.

And if work doesn’t like it, well tough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement