Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

As of last night, since the 1st of March, i have now flown on 100 flights :):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm booked in to fly to Sicily on Sunday. US based Father in law is there, and has been for months, and is having a rough time. Wife is flying on Wednesday, with me following a few days later. Haven't told anyone i know yet that i'm planning on leaving, as i assume everyone will accuse me of breaking the rules/endangering others/spreading the virus etc...I'll have to tell work (im WFH, but have to go to the office in emergencies and i won't be able to do that for 14 days), and i don't know what they'll say.

Stressing me the **** out right now. **** this entire situation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

So??
    smurfjed wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I'd like a Ham&Cheese panini please, and a coffee, sugar/milk thanks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Thank you. That eases my mind. Ok, may just book a flight. It’s getting important at this stage.

And if work doesn’t like it, well tough.

Flights booked.

Heading home in two weeks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SnowyMay wrote: »
    Thank you. That eases my mind. Ok, may just book a flight. It’s getting important at this stage.

And if work doesn’t like it, well tough.
    im also abroad

Thanks to the moral police and twitching curtains in Ireland, we don't see it being feasable to head home any time soon even if the restrictions are legally worthless. If anyone within 100 miles of either of our home places got the virus we'd possibly get the blame from the local gossips even though we coming from a place with virus levels a fraction of many corners of Ireland .

The few I know of who did go home in the summer kept to the "rules" and kept a very low profile , which sounds like what you also have planned.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Shovel70 wrote: »
    Every time I read level 5 I think of number 11 in Spinal Tap...am truly showing my age now. Does level 5 mean I cant come back from Crete?...tragic

Why don’t you just make level 4 more severe?

*awkward pause*

Because this goes to level 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SnowyMay

im also abroad

Thanks to the moral police and twitching curtains in Ireland, we don't see it being feasable to head home any time soon even if the restrictions are legally worthless. If anyone within 100 miles of either of our home places got the virus we'd possibly get the blame from the local gossips even though we coming from a place with virus levels a fraction of many corners of Ireland .

The few I know of who did go home in the summer kept to the "rules" and kept a very low profile , which sounds like what you also have planned.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Dublin is grand, and I’ll just see my dad and his wife.

But, I’m fortunate that, even though it’s a small enough town that my mum lives in, they are pretty close knit, and would be ok with me coming to visit. I would know them all well from when I lived there.

I won’t get to see any of them (unless we wave at each other between a window), but the main thing is seeing my dad and my mum. Next year, please God, we’ll all have a big celebration.

Main thing is that I get to see my parents. I’m ridiculously excited. And I know not everybody can do this, but I just can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'd like a Ham&Cheese panini please, and a coffee, sugar/milk thanks! :D

The taste of freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

faceman wrote: »
    Why don’t you just make level 4 more severe?

*awkward pause*

Because this goes to level 5

What we do when you need that little push over the cliff, we go to 4.... and a bit ...kinda like 5...but not really...more like a 4.5 type situation as the kids get to keep going to school...😁

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm booked in to fly to Sicily on Sunday. US based Father in law is there, and has been for months, and is having a rough time. Wife is flying on Wednesday, with me following a few days later. Haven't told anyone i know yet that i'm planning on leaving, as i assume everyone will accuse me of breaking the rules/endangering others/spreading the virus etc...I'll have to tell work (im WFH, but have to go to the office in emergencies and i won't be able to do that for 14 days), and i don't know what they'll say.

Stressing me the **** out right now. **** this entire situation tbh.

I know how you feel. I was stressed out before I went to the UK and that's only an hour away. I told nobody however my sister here found out from the sister I intended to visit and read me the riot act! It was like I would be responsible for anyone in Ireland who gets Covid this week! (and this from a sister who lives in Donegal!) It was awful. I weighed up the decision to go long and hard and took every conceivable precaution. It was worth it 10 fold to see my daughter.

My advice? Just do it! Tell nobody. Flying is very low key now, nobody talks to anyone, everyone wears masks. Its like we are all in this big secret club together, but we are a group who believe life must go on, if we are all sensible about things. The feeling once you get there is great, indeed once you get to the airport you are already feeling the stress melt away. Its a great break away from the non stop hysteria of Covid in this country at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

GazzaL wrote: »
    The taste of freedom.

Nothing better than a soggy red hot bag of Ryanair's Ham&Cheese Panini washed down by a cup of Tar like Coffee to make it feel like the holidays! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Crew or passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Shovel70

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Crew or passenger?

Crew I think..maybe pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭howsshenow

Recently back from Italy. Was anxious about travelling initially and didn't tell many. Flights are dirt cheap and all hotels have availability and weather was great. Planes only quarter full.
    Only 1 metre Social distancing! Just temperature checks on arrival, on regional trains and some shops.
    If you can isolate for the two weeks on your return (as I am doing)just go.
    I reckon it won't be any different next summer for international travel.

My advice? Just do it! Tell nobody. Flying is very low key now, nobody talks to anyone, everyone wears masks. Its like we are all in this big secret club together, but we are a group who believe life must go on, if we are all sensible about things. The feeling once you get there is great, indeed once you get to the airport you are already feeling the stress melt away. Its a great break away from the non stop hysteria of Covid in this country at the moment!

This. I completely agree. It’s a breath of fresh air being away. Other countries aren’t fixated on the daily numbers and press conferences like we are. They are just getting on with things. (My experience being the UK, Switzerland, Italy and Portugal)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

This. I completely agree. It’s a breath of fresh air being away. Other countries aren’t fixated on the daily numbers and press conferences like we are. They are just getting on with things. (My experience being the UK, Switzerland, Italy and Portugal)

Airports are ghost towns , went through Liverpool Street station today , I couldn’t actually socially distance as there was nobody else to distance myself from

Dub airport empty , trains empty , busses empty , roads filled to the brim !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Shovel70 wrote: »
    Crew I think..maybe pilot?

Self-effacing with it.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Airports are ghost towns , went through Liverpool Street station today , I couldn’t actually socially distance as there was nobody else to distance myself from

Dub airport empty , trains empty , busses empty , roads filled to the brim !!!

no idea where you are. Tube was full 2 weeks ago as were the airports and main stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Self-effacing with it.

Yeah - and if a pilot, it’s not really news is it? 100 flights in 7 months is 14 or so a month which seems normal enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I know how you feel. I was stressed out before I went to the UK and that's only an hour away. I told nobody however my sister here found out from the sister I intended to visit and read me the riot act! It was like I would be responsible for anyone in Ireland who gets Covid this week! (and this from a sister who lives in Donegal!) It was awful. I weighed up the decision to go long and hard and took every conceivable precaution. It was worth it 10 fold to see my daughter.

With the new restrictions announced today about not being allowed leave our county, is this actually being enforced?

I'm due to fly from dublin airport in 2 weeks, I don't live in Dublin.

Are people that have flights booked still going?

With the new restrictions announced today about not being allowed leave our county, is this actually being enforced?

Not sure after today TBH ?
    Glad I went when I did , but where there’s a will there’s a way . Good luck whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Your advised not to travel unless it essential or for work. Its not law.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Legally, you can leave your county of you are leaving the country.

Enjoy the trip.

ffs this is ridiculous. How many times will the same thing be repeated over and over and over?

I mean, it was only yesterday that the high court was involved and i8t was stated very clearly that it was a recommendation only.

How gullible and unthinking are people?

Did you see the government pass a law giving Gardai the power to arrest people in the airport? No. No you didnt!

ffs this is ridiculous. How many times will the same thing be repeated over and over and over?

I mean, it was only yesterday that the high court was involved and i8t was stated very clearly that it was a recommendation only.

How gullible and unthinking are people?

Did you see the government pass a law giving Gardai the power to arrest people in the airport? No. No you didnt!

THere is really no need for your tone with someone who is genuinely worried! Not everyone is as blatant about things as you may be. Rules keep changing, its bound to concern people in all sorts of ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the UK (of which a lump is in north east of the island of Ireland) is poised to reduce incoming quarantine from risk areas from 14 days to just 5 days with a negative test, opening the possibility of safer access to tourists from the likes of the USA, not governed by the travel corridors (equivalent of Irelands green list)
    The beleaguered aviation industry had been lobbying for a two-test system, whereby travellers are tested at an airport on arrival from at-risk countries and again five or eight days later – with negative results allowing them to leave isolation earlier.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/05/grant-shapps-signals-testing-plan-to-cut-14-day-quarantine-for-travellers

A similar idea is proposed by Germany with 5day quarantine and then a test, and will be likely rubber stamped in about 10 days in parallel to the european travel traffic light introduction, so its not just the brits coming up with this idea

With Irelands land border coming under such a rule, and also the largest country in the EU, might Ireland try such a plan for safe international travel from outside the green list? With the tourism industry being so seasonal, it wouldnt need to be cranked up till Easter but if there was something in place then at least people could book with reasonable certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seansouth36

Just booked a week in Mykonos - cheap flights, cheap Airbnb right on the beach. 7 days of morning swims, afternoon beers, reading, naps and general recharge after a grim few months. Went to France in July and felt completely rejuvenated afterwards. Obviously some risk of getting tested at Mykonos airport, but given my own mask wearing/hand washing/social distancing past few weeks, should be fine. Flight on Friday and looks fairly empty going by Ryanair's seat locator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Just booked a week in Mykonos - cheap flights, cheap Airbnb right on the beach. 7 days of morning swims, afternoon beers, reading, naps and general recharge after a grim few months. Went to France in July and felt completely rejuvenated afterwards. Obviously some risk of getting tested at Mykonos airport, but given my own mask wearing/hand washing/social distancing past few weeks, should be fine. Flight on Friday and looks fairly empty going by Ryanair's seat locator.

sounds great let me know now you get on :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement